Should I ziptie my luggage?

scrapmamma

I don't have locks on our luggage, but it's not like I'm packing anything illegal. If they want to snip them off they can.

I was going to put a couple 12 packs of soda in there. I've heard that some people have been successfully checking the soda with their luggage.

I just don't want to have to carry it around before we can get into our room.

Just use your regular locks...if they want you to open your bags, they'll call you. NEVER leave luggage unlocked when it's not in your possession. Not so much for someone taking something, but you certainly don't want someone to "slip" something into your bags that you don't know about.

RCI really doesn't care about soda..it's alcohol that they get all bent out of shape about!

I use those zip-ties all the time. Of course, anyone with a set of nail-clippers or scissors or a knife can snip them (or easily penetrate the zipper). So far, so good on this end though. I've only had one occasion when a zip-tie was cut, and there was a note from TSA in my suitcase that they had inspected it.

If you go to a AAA office you can buy straps that go around your luggage that include a combination lock at very little cost. These locks have a spot for the TSA to open the lock without destroying it in the event that they need to inspect your bags. The straps come in a variety of colors which can make spotting your bag amongst all the others easier. We have one for each of the bags that we bring with us.

I hope this helps - Happy sailing :)

We use the zip ties on all our luggage. We know it won't deter the thief who is determined to get into the luggage, but maybe the less-determined one will pass it by and go on to one that isn't obviously locked. If the TSA folks want to get in, a simple clipping will do it ..and they leave a note behind. For some reason we must look suspicious..on every trip we've taken, at least one of our 2 bags has been opened by the TSA! :o

We use the zip tie locks for a couple of reasons. We have locks and keys but if someone wants into the bag, they are more likely to just slash the luggage. We had that happen once when someone broke into our car. The zip lock is easy for someone to open with nail clips, however, you are immediately aware that your luggage has been opened. If it was TSA, they will leave a note. Any lock is not a deterent to a thief and in the process, you can get some nice luggage ruined. The zip lock doesn't hurt anything. For the night you leave your luggage in the hallway, it's great. I actually feel safer using the zip ties than the locks.

We always use zip ties, but there are a couple things to think about.

Zip ties are much easier to clip off if:

1. they are not cinched down tight. (DH oops) Now he knows why I left a loop. :)

2. the clippers are not inside the zip-tied luggage (my oops) Now I put the clippers in my purse. :)

We have some bright orange ones we got at an electronics store long ago - they really stand out nicely, and we're the only ones with that color.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

You are not allowed to carry sharp things, how do you get the zip ties off? Chew em?

Nail Clips, which you are allowed to carry, or a tiny pair of the manicure clippers. Just don't forget to carry them with you. We did forget to check nail clips off our list on one cruise and had to go to the purser's desk to borrow a pair of scissors. We buy a pack of the neon colored ones from the dollar store. I still have some left from about 3 years ago, since you get a pretty big bag. It's very noticeable and I agree that just seeing something on the luggage is a deterent. Thieves will just go on to an easier target. We have 3 different cabins and we assign one neon color to each cabin. We also have some extremely big obnoxious luggage tags. Ugly, but noticeable, which is the idea.

• 3 months later...

We use zip ties all the time when traveling. We use the TSA locks too but the advantage of the Zip ties - especially if you use special colors, are that you can always see when the suitcase has been opened. We have had a few times when the ties were cut, the lock was still locked, but with no note present from the TSA. In those cases I usually double check the contents of the suitcase.

Zip ties and TSA locks primarily secure luggage with zippers. It's easier for a thief to separate the zipper than to cut off a lock or practically even cut off a ziptie.

That little trick does not work with metal zippers.

We think its interesting to read this topic. Having done a lot of international and domestic travel we learned a lesson many years ago. Use cheap normal luggage, do not put on any kind of lock, and you will be fine. Thieves tend to target better luggage and locks are just an invitation to break (or cut) the lock to see why somebody locks their luggage. Just one person;s opinion.

Hank

Archived