Tenders to HMC

mcsl

We're sailing on the Zuiderdam next week and are very excited about our first visit to HMC. It sounds heavenly! Could someone give me some idea of what the drill is on HAL to get an early tender? I just read a post from a Carnival cruiser who said that the people at the end of the tender line on his cruise didn't get to HMC until 2PM! We haven't booked any shore excursions there, only a clam shell but I'd like to get there as early as possible.

Hi MSCL,

I cant say anything about what you read but can tell you I have never had that type of situation come up...in my experience.Generally the first tenders start around 830.. and if you are down there a little earlier you will probably be on one of the first tenders that go over after the crew goes and sets up the drinks and food. Even if you go a little later you will not be waiting hours to go over. In the past they have used the ships lifeboats to go ovr and back.. and as these are smaller it took a little bit longer.. bt NEVER hours and hours. Suite passengers and people who have cabanas reserved get priority on the tenders[ie get on in front of others if there is a big line].. but honestly.. I can't ever remember this happening in any of our several trips there....lol. The last few times they used tenders from HMC that were bigger and it a lot more people could go at once. Often we have walked right on at any time. So don't worry about that.. you will be fine. My husband and I are also on that cruise next week on the Z,... only 5 more days! We have a cabana on HMC.. a tradition for us and my sisters who travel with us every cruise. One of our splurges...

Enjoy your frst trip to HMC!!

Sharon :D

We're sailing on the Zuiderdam next week and are very excited about our first visit to HMC. It sounds heavenly! Could someone give me some idea of what the drill is on HAL to get an early tender? I just read a post from a Carnival cruiser who said that the people at the end of the tender line on his cruise didn't get to HMC until 2PM! We haven't booked any shore excursions there, only a clam shell but I'd like to get there as early as possible.

Hi Mcsl!

My suggestion for you is just to head down to the meeting point (normally the Vista Lounge about 30 minutes prior.

The staff should be there or coming in with the tender cards. They will request those with shore excusions come forward first and then all others.

They will state to make sure all of your party is ready to leave when they call the tender number.

Once cleared for tending, they will direct you to the boarding area and take your number.

I normally get off on the second or third tender. I also like to get on shore early because I love to get a clamshell way down the beach away from the main entrance.

I've been bless with calm seas and easy tendering into HMC. I hope the same for you.

This island is a true gem!! Enjoy it!!

The Tender that the Zuiderdam uses is much larger the the ones lowered from the ship and they can transport many more people on each tender. I have NEVER had a problem tendering on one of these large tenders at HMC. Being fair skinned I don't stay long enough to get burned.

We have a leisurely breakfast and then take a tender at around 10:30 a.m. By that time, they're not even distributing tender tickets anymore and there's no wait. Just walk right on. We prefer to stay on the beach until the last tender back to the ship - I think its at 3 p.m.

We have a leisurely breakfast and then take a tender at around 10:30 a.m. By that time, they're not even distributing tender tickets anymore and there's no wait. Just walk right on. We prefer to stay on the beach until the last tender back to the ship - I think its at 3 p.m.

This is what we've done also in HMC. I don't like lines and would rather spend the time having a leisurely breakfast and then leaving the ship. Unless we have a shore excursion planned, this is what we usually do in port.

This is what we've done also in HMC. I don't like lines and would rather spend the time having a leisurely breakfast and then leaving the ship. Unless we have a shore excursion planned, this is what we usually do in port.

How do the clamshells work? We have reserved one but are you assigned a number or is it first come - first served. Are there particulars ones I should try to get if we aren't assigned one? Thanks for answering my questions. My third cruise on HAL but on the other two we weren't able to go over because of rough seas.

If there is more than one ship at at HMC, the larger ship uses the Henry Hudson and her sister.

Was great fun when we were recently at HMC on Maasdam and we were the larger ship :D as we shared with Prinsendam. That was GREAT!

If two Vistas are there, I'm not sure if they use one for each ship or does one ship use their own tenders?

How do the clamshells work? We have reserved one but are you assigned a number or is it first come - first served. Are there particulars ones I should try to get if we aren't assigned one? Thanks for answering my questions. My third cruise on HAL but on the other two we weren't able to go over because of rough seas.

They will advise you to go to the rental hut and give them your reservation card. You then would walk down the beach with one of the fellas who will set up whichever clamshell you would like.

We've done that in the past, but since we prefer one much further down the beach, I think we will just walk along the road/path until we get to an area we like. I'm sure if we put our stuff down and sit on a couple of loungers in an unraised clamshell eventually one of the staff will come and tell us that you can only use them if you pay for the rental. Then, voila, we show our slip and they can set it up for us. Saves walking all the way down along the beach.

DH and I have tendered at HMC but have always past on going ashore due to his knee problems. This year he had a knee replacement and we are now planning on going and enjoying sometime on the island. I don't know how long we will stay and I am wondering, do they have specific times through out the day that they tender pax back to the ship?:confused:

The holland site says that it is 19 per person, is that right?

One person pays the price for the clamshell but since it holds two people you can have anyone you want share it with you. They do not charge for a second person.

The same holds true for the cabanas----one person pays the price and can have a total of 4 people in the cabana for that price.

The holland site says that it is 19 per person, is that right?

Well unless they JUST changed the price, it is $14 per clamshell and one is big enough for 2 adults (and has two lounge chairs). The HAL site is confusing in that it makes you think that you need to reserve for 2 people separately. Really you only need to pay for one! :)

Oh I see sapper1 beat me to it!

DH and I have tendered at HMC but have always past on going ashore due to his knee problems. This year he had a knee replacement and we are now planning on going and enjoying sometime on the island. I don't know how long we will stay and I am wondering, do they have specific times through out the day that they tender pax back to the ship?:confused:

Tenders run all day back and forth from the ship to shore and back to the ship. Whenever you are ready, go back to the dock where you got off the tender and that is where you will board a tender back to the ship. Sometimes there is a brief wait or a line but it usually isn't very long wait or line.

Can you describe a Tender ,is it enclosed ,is there more that one level ?I can't swim and I'm very phobic .

A pic of one of two similar tenders, the Henry Hudson, used by HAL at Half Moon Cay. As you can see, two decks, the top one completely open

IMG_7739.jpg?t=1208378941

And a pic of one of HAL's ship's tenders which doubles as a lifeboat. No open deck space but there are benches and/or collapsable seats close to the opening (see the individual in the short sleeve blk t-shirt) through which you enter and which usually remains open for the ride

IMG_5595.jpg?t=1208378853

We've never used one of the HAL tenders liked the Henry Hudson at HMC so I can't speak to getting on or off one of those. Used the ship's tenders numerous times and most of the time getting on or off is not an issue. There are a couple of crew members right there to assist. Admittedly the first time or two you do the tenders, especially if it's a bit rocky, it can be unnerving but the captain won't let the tenders operate if it gets too rough or dangerous.

I'm also concerned about boarding the tender from the ship and from the tender to the ship .

You usually will get to the tender platform via a set of metal chairs (in the pic, the empty one). As Randy stated, there are always a minimum of two crew members that will assist you in getting in and out of the tender

IMG_2572.jpg?t=1264364618

Archived