Physical requirements to zipline???

texaridian

I'll be in Costa Rica soon and the thought of ziplining through the rain forest canopy sounds like so much fun. However, I am not in great physical shape. How much climbing to the platforms do you have to do? How much physical strength do you need?

I appreciate any and all replies!

Carol

In most cases, I would say you don't need to have much strength. Just decent mobility and the ability to climb up and down the ladders to platforms.

However, carefully read the description of the activity and even call and ask questions if anything leaves you unsure. DH and I have done several ziplines before and signed up for an 'extreme zip line' in St. Maarten that included walking bridges, suspended cables, rope ladders, etc between each zip line. We loved it and had a blast as did all the others on the trip of various ages, physical sizes, etc.

Later that day and the following day, none of us could walk. We were so sore from using muscles that we did not know we had, that we could barely move the next day.

I would do it again in a heartbeat....it was that much fun. But I'd know better what to expect.

If the word extreme is included in the description and it mentions all these other things in between the actual zip lines, start working those muscles now!! :D

But most zip lines are not like that. Once you are on the first platform, you basically zip between platforms. Hook in and hang on then enjoy the ride!

DH and I did it in Roatan, Honduras. It started from the top of a mountain so there weren't any really big trees to climb. He was 67 and I was 62 when we did it. It was great fun.

He jokes about having lied on every answer to the medical questionnaire except for the one that asked if he was pregnant.

They took our photos and we bought them. We had them in the cabin and our cabin steward was so impressed that he set the photos on the bed so that we'd know that he'd seen them.

We emailed the photos to our physician and whenever he has a medical student in the office, he tells them about our zip lining. He was, and still is, very impressed.

We also emailed the photos to our kids and they freaked.

My husband and I are mid-sixties. We zip-lined in Roatan a few years ago with no problems and in Costa Rica last December with no problems either. However, we have no health or mobility problems and are active and in decent shape. For instance, I regularly do Jillian's 30 Day Shred, if that helps.

We had one other couple on our excursion who were around 70. The man had some mobility problems, due to nuerophathy (?), which, I think, affected his walking/climbing ability somewhat. This was on a zip-line with around 25 zips over waterfalls, etc., and two rappels.

He got along ok and made it to the end. The guides (we had at least 4 guides for the four of us) were very helpful in assissting him where necessary. The climbs to the platforms and between platforms were not too bad, but did involve some slippery/rocky areas and steps.

It was a great experience, but only you know your capabilities and fitness level. Obviously, if 60-70 year olds can do it, it's not too strenuous. The guides told us they had taken an 88 year old women the week before!

I don't know your itinerary, but depending on where you zipline you could be in rain forest, cloud forest, or dry forest. The trees and animals will be different depending on the ecological zone you're in (don't know if that matters to you).

Iv wondered myself. I really want to do it, but I have osteroperosis and have managed to break both shoulders.

How much strength does it take?

I think you really need to discuss this with your physician(s). While ziplining doesn't sound like the most aggressive activity in the world, it's not a benign activity either. Osteoporosis is going to make any activity that "snaps" and puts sharp pressure on joints and bones riskier. (I will admit that I haven't done ziplining, but one of the reasons is that I have physical limitations that make it riskier for me than back in the day when I was fit and healthy. I have seen videos of various ziplines.)

My mother has osteoporosis and has had 3 compression fractures primarily from things we think of as everyday activities. Ziplining? No way her doctors would okay it at this point. Considering that you've already broken both shoulders and that you would be in a harness that will put concentrated pressure on certain areas--including your shoulders, I believe--I do not believe you should consider it without a firm okay from your own doctors and a real understanding of why it's probably risky for you.

beachchick

Considering that you've already broken both shoulders and that you would be in a harness that will put concentrated pressure on certain areas--including your shoulders, I believe--I do not believe you should consider it without a firm okay from your own doctors and a real understanding of why it's probably risky for you.

Each time that I have ziplined, the harness is a series of straps around your hips and waist. It's like stepping into a bikini bottom made of thick straps....men usually don't enjoy the secure strapping in process!

There is no pressure from the harness on your shoulders, but most ziplines require you to use your gloved hand to apply pressure to the line to brake - slow yourself down and stop so you don't jam yourself into the end of the line. I quickly met a platform on my first zip line from not braking properly. While it did not injure me, it did create some discomfort for a few minutes with the extreme jerking motion created by running headlong into the end of the line. Doing so with fragile bones or serious previous injury would not be a positive experience.

Definitely talk with your physician and watch some videos to see what really happens when ziplining. You'll be better prepared if you and your doctor decide that you are up for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the original poster and am back from my trip. We did the zipline in Costa Rica. I got winded from climbing some stairs, but nothing that a few minutes rest didn't cure. The hardest part for me was trying to keep myself facing forward during the zip. That takes a bit of strength in the forearm and hand. The first line I did I came in backwards. They had a "stopper" on the line that slowed me down so much that I didn't make it to the platform and started to slide back the way I had come. I had to grab the cable over my head and pull myself hand over hand back to the platform.

I'm glad I did it, but probably wouldn't go again. It went so fast that it was difficult to enjoy the scenery.

One thing I will say--it wasn't scary!

Carol

Archived