CC Members - Help me out of the doghouse

CPOCMAN

OP, I will be the one who cited with your wife in this case after I look at your location being in Japan.

It is not like someone from the US that needs to go to China to take the cruise - you have tons of daily flights between several cities in Japan to Beijing, so the flight issue is not an issue for you.

I would have monitored the cabin availabilities closely and made a decision whether booked early or waited till after final payments, or if it was not something I MUST go, simply something that if I got to go at a Bargain price then it would be GREAT that I would go, then I definitely would wait.

In our past 7 cruises, none booked before final payment except 1 which was a replacement of a canceled one and our "overpayment" was only $300 per person for a 16 day transatlantic versus the Flash / last minute. The subsequent Transatlantics out from Ft. Lauderdale, we booked just a few weeks before sailing - Worked out great.

If I do not need to worry about booking flights, inevitably the flashes (and there are a TON) are much much cheaper.

We just returned from Emerald 10days South Caribbean - a totally unplanned cruise and only took it because the price was extremely attractive (and it even went $50 lower 3 days after we booked/paid). So we wound up having taken 3 cruises this year, the one on Crown in February turned out to be the most "expensive" because we booked it 6 weeks before sailing, the HAL Eurodam transatlantic and the Emerald Princess 10day S Caribbeans were both bargain basement prices.

Both Emerald and Grand have drastically lower prices for the next 3 cruises.

For Grand it was even lower than just 3 weeks ago.

SIL in Canada just purchased Grand Princess 14 days sailing Oct 25 to Nov 8 for a song. They looked at Emerald but decided to take Grand due to the longer itinerary. I told her she made a mistake because Emerald is much nicer ship. Besides, for a Caribbean cruise, as DH says it, often you would have better time stay on the ship than get off the ship - in ports like St. Vincent, Dominica, Antigua, Granada etc etc Dont see the point to walk up a sweat around the port areas "browsing" those stalls. Of course if one is into adventurous activities, one would have different opinions. But SIL and her DH are not that type (they do not even snorkel!) So what is the point to exchange a much nicer ship for more Caribbean ports?

Pam, and am I remembering correctly that also with flash promos you can not book Princess insurance, but must purchase it through an outside source?

I booked a flash fare on the Crown Princess through Princess and I was able to buy their insurance. I am a Platinum Member with Princess, so I don't know if that was a factor or not.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

We have sailed on 6 Princess cruises and at the present time still have a credit with some other incentives that we need to use by Oct. 2011. I do check their site periodically, but don't recall seeing flash sales. Are they "advertised" as such? We are pretty flexible, but are watching one sailing in particular. So far, that one has been the same price forever. My TA has been rather disappointing in her responses lately, so I am kind of on my own right now.

Thanks again folks, Linda

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

We have sailed on 6 Princess cruises and at the present time still have a credit with some other incentives that we need to use by Oct. 2011. I do check their site periodically, but don't recall seeing flash sales. Are they "advertised" as such? We are pretty flexible, but are watching one sailing in particular. So far, that one has been the same price forever.

Flash sales, which normally are only final payment date, will not be shown on the Princess web site.

Travel agents will know about them. If you have a good TA, let him/know what cruises you might be interested in if there was a flash sale.

First - want to thank everyone for the advice and help! Lot of great ideas and information.

Got up 4 times last night to try to get the agent we worked with which I finally reached her at 0400. She contacted Princess but to no avail - Princess wouldn't budge. Also, when I got up 2 hours later - the price on Princess' website went up a bit from what my wife saw less than 24 hours before (1100 Inside, 1300 Obstructed, 1900 for balconies).

My travel agent suggests that I check with Princess when we check in to see if anything is available for a free upgrade. Wishful thinking I think - everyone would be doing the same thing if it worked so I don't believe that this was a big help.

NHO9504 - You are correct. I'm here in Japan and we used mileage tickets for the air so we ended up paying only taxes. United started service to Beijing fron Narita and it helped us save even more mileage on the tickets. In retrospect, I should have waited but I figured this was a Thanksgiving Cruise and thought it would book up as a result.

So how did I get out of the doghouse. 2 things. First - I think my wife felt sorry for me, seeing that I was getting up constantly last night to try to get the agent to help us so my effort meant a lot to her and I think she is not as upset. Second - I contacted United and we now have 1st Class International Flights to/from the port cities. I cleaned out most of my mileage accounts but I'll make it up again over the next 2 years. Besides, its worth it - its for my wife!

What will I do in the future: First, if the cruise is in a swing season (Mid-late Jan, Feb, April, Oct/Nov/Early Dec (other than Thanksgiving), will wait until later to book a cruise as I can still secure flights pretty easy. Second - if we plan to use mileage tickets for the cruise, book the air early and wait/watch the ship closely for cruise price changes. If it falls, book the cruise. If it goes higher - cancel the award tickets and try again. Third - After talking with my agent (who hasn't been a big help in the entire process to start and unresponsive), I plan to get a new agent. Fourth - Block website access to cruise agencies and cruise lines from my wife's computer so she cannot see prices!

Again, everyone, thank you so much for the help and ideas. I really appreciate your words of wisdom and sage advice! May your future cruise carry fair winds and following seas!

First - want to thank everyone for the advice and help! Lot of great ideas and information.

Got up 4 times last night to try to get the agent we worked with which I finally reached her at 0400. She contacted Princess but to no avail - Princess wouldn't budge. Also, when I got up 2 hours later - the price on Princess' website went up a bit from what my wife saw less than 24 hours before (1100 Inside, 1300 Obstructed, 1900 for balconies).

My travel agent suggests that I check with Princess when we check in to see if anything is available for a free upgrade. Wishful thinking I think - everyone would be doing the same thing if it worked so I don't believe that this was a big help.

So sorry to hear this but I am not surprised. Princess is consistently firm on this. Regardless, you will have a fabulous cruise!

As far as checking in at the pier and asking for an upgrade, I agree, wishful thinking. Maybe if the ship still has a lot of availability, the upgrade fairy will visit you :)

Maybe if the ship still has a lot of availability, the upgrade fairy will visit you :)

I agree that there may be a chance that you might receive an upgrade. You can never count on an upgrade but if the ship was selling poorly and the reduced fares resulted in a lot of people booking inside and obstructed view cabins - you might get bumped up.

Enjoy your cruise either way. You can't control everything.

NHO9504 - You are correct. I'm here in Japan and we used mileage tickets for the air so we ended up paying only taxes. United started service to Beijing fron Narita and it helped us save even more mileage on the tickets. In retrospect, I should have waited but I figured this was a Thanksgiving Cruise and thought it would book up as a result.

So how did I get out of the doghouse. 2 things. First - I think my wife felt sorry for me, seeing that I was getting up constantly last night to try to get the agent to help us so my effort meant a lot to her and I think she is not as upset. Second - I contacted United and we now have 1st Class International Flights to/from the port cities. I cleaned out most of my mileage accounts but I'll make it up again over the next 2 years. Besides, its worth it - its for my wife!

What will I do in the future: First, if the cruise is in a swing season (Mid-late Jan, Feb, April, Oct/Nov/Early Dec (other than Thanksgiving), will wait until later to book a cruise as I can still secure flights pretty easy. Second - if we plan to use mileage tickets for the cruise, book the air early and wait/watch the ship closely for cruise price changes. If it falls, book the cruise. If it goes higher - cancel the award tickets and try again. Third - After talking with my agent (who hasn't been a big help in the entire process to start and unresponsive), I plan to get a new agent. Fourth - Block website access to cruise agencies and cruise lines from my wife's computer so she cannot see prices!

Again, everyone, thank you so much for the help and ideas. I really appreciate your words of wisdom and sage advice! May your future cruise carry fair winds and following seas!

Great attitude and good plan. You should be able to change the dates of your award flights without charge if the seats are available and the departure and arrival locations are the same.

You also might want to try a cruise line with a different policy. For instance if this would have happend to you on a Celebrity cruise, you would have been able to move to the upgraded cabin at no charge if the price on their website is less than what you paid. If it was more, you would have had the option after final payment of paying the difference.

I am not sure about other cruise lines.

Enjoy your cruise.

My travel agent suggests that I check with Princess when we check in to see if anything is available for a free upgrade.

If the upgrade fairy visits, you will be told without asking.

There is no such thing as a free upgrade on Princess by asking at checkin or onboard.

The chekin people do not have any access or ability to make any room changes.

Onboard, the Purser's desk will tell you that the ship is full. If it is not full, they might be willing to sell you the upgrade, most likely based on pricing when you booked the cruise.

We are on the full transit Panama Canal in December. I saw on CC boards that prices had dropped. I called my TA and she contacted Princess. We were booked in a balcony. We were given the option of paying the difference to upgrade to a minisuite balcony or there was also a refund I think it was if we stayed where we were. Don't remember that one cause we decided to pay the difference and upgrade to a minisuite. We had already gotten a good deal on our original booking, a balcony for the price of an oceanview double. We are currently in an guarantee AD minisuite but TA says we will probably get upgraded since there are very few of the AD minisuites.

Hope your TA can help you

I booked a flash fare on the Crown Princess through Princess and I was able to buy their insurance. I am a Platinum Member with Princess, so I don't know if that was a factor or not.

Princess insurance is not available with a flash fare.

CC status has no effect.

Hi, I'm a little late here. We're on the same cruise and saw that same price drop. Gasp! I contacted our agent right away. He got back to me almost immediately and told me he contacted Princess and found out it was a mistake in posting the quotes. That quote was supposed to be for a part of our cruise, the Hong Kong to Singapore portion. They were working on correcting it ASAP. It did make feel me better, for sure! HTH!

CC Family,

Really need your advice on this one. Been having to tell wife for the last hour - " yes honey, you are right. We'll do it your way next time". Wife has been ranting for past hour telling me that I was wrong and from the surface, it appears to be.

I'm on a 16 day cruise from Beijing to Singapore leaving 19 November. 3 months ago, I booked us in a FF cat guarantee which I thought, was a reasonable price at 1500pp. 2 days after booking, we were assigned, a FF cabin - what we paid for which is what we should expect.

Well, now we are within 30 days of cruising and the ship must be empty! Prices fell dramatically - for new bookings only. On Princess' website, insides are 600, outside obstructeds are 700, Balconies are 1000 and mini's are at 1200. We'll - you can imagine what flak I've been taking as a result for having booked too early.

Can't cancel booking and do new one as our insurance does not have a cancel for any reason clause so rebooking is not an option. Called our agent and left her a message to please check with Princess to see if anything can be done to get us something although I know that flash fares are not for existing bookings.

I have to admit, this one really hurts as we've been trying to pay for an upgrade to a balcony prior without having to pay the 2500 that was being asked for prior to today. Now with the prices of Mini's below my original price we paid for outside obstructed, it does sting.

Wanted to ask if anyone may have some advice to get me out of the doghouse :o< ?

CC Family,

Really need your advice on this one. Been having to tell wife for the last hour - " yes honey, you are right. We'll do it your way next time". Wife has been ranting for past hour telling me that I was wrong and from the surface, it appears to be.

I'm on a 16 day cruise from Beijing to Singapore leaving 19 November. 3 months ago, I booked us in a FF cat guarantee which I thought, was a reasonable price at 1500pp. 2 days after booking, we were assigned, a FF cabin - what we paid for which is what we should expect.

Well, now we are within 30 days of cruising and the ship must be empty! Prices fell dramatically - for new bookings only. On Princess' website, insides are 600, outside obstructeds are 700, Balconies are 1000 and mini's are at 1200. We'll - you can imagine what flak I've been taking as a result for having booked too early.

Can't cancel booking and do new one as our insurance does not have a cancel for any reason clause so rebooking is not an option. Called our agent and left her a message to please check with Princess to see if anything can be done to get us something although I know that flash fares are not for existing bookings.

I have to admit, this one really hurts as we've been trying to pay for an upgrade to a balcony prior without having to pay the 2500 that was being asked for prior to today. Now with the prices of Mini's below my original price we paid for outside obstructed, it does sting.

Wanted to ask if anyone may have some advice to get me out of the doghouse :o< ?

....so.....which way are you going to do it next time........wait until 30 days before the cruise.....hope the rates have dropped......and get a great deal. That won't happen on most trips.

Lambokitty- Appreciate your post as it does make sense. Makes me wonder if my agent even called Princess since she didn't give us any info that you had received. We're going to try to find a better online agent in the US and have been searching companies and BBB's website.

JLC@SD - To answer your question - it will depend. If I can get award tickets, we'll take the chance and book late since I don't incur any fees to make changes to award tickets or to cancel them. If I have to get revenue air tickets or we are travelling during a peak season, we'll book earlier.

Everyone -Thanks again for the help with this and for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I had many doubts about my agent that I was dealing with on my cruise with various issues - especially on lack of responses to emails about my desires to pay for an upgrade. I now believe that there was have been a good reason behind it all. Wife and I had to reprint everything this morning for our upcoming 16 day Asia Cruise on Diamond starting the 19th of November as we were just notified of our move from a FF to a BB cabin. Talk about falling out of your seat. Total surprise! I already was having problems concentrating at work - it was even harder today! First upgrade that I have had and it was a doozy! Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded with advice and help during this thread. Hope all of you have fair winds and following seas on your upcoming cruises that you are taking!

Hi, I'm a little late here. We're on the same cruise and saw that same price drop. Gasp! I contacted our agent right away. He got back to me almost immediately and told me he contacted Princess and found out it was a mistake in posting the quotes. That quote was supposed to be for a part of our cruise, the Hong Kong to Singapore portion. They were working on correcting it ASAP. It did make feel me better, for sure! HTH!

I had many doubts about my agent that I was dealing with on my cruise with various issues - especially on lack of responses to emails about my desires to pay for an upgrade. I now believe that there was have been a good reason behind it all. Wife and I had to reprint everything this morning for our upcoming 16 day Asia Cruise on Diamond starting the 19th of November as we were just notified of our move from a FF to a BB cabin. Talk about falling out of your seat. Total surprise! I already was having problems concentrating at work - it was even harder today! First upgrade that I have had and it was a doozy! Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded with advice and help during this thread. Hope all of you have fair winds and following seas on your upcoming cruises that you are taking!

Well, it would have been nice if your TA would have told you that CPOCMAN, you wouldn't have had to spend all of these days in that dog house. lol But it sounds like it worked out great in the end. Have a wonderful cruise, and congratulations on that fantastic upgrade. :)

That's great news! Congrats! See you on the 19th. :)

Archived