Sick on Carribbean Princess.

BoPippy

Oh joy. :(

This has kept me from considering cruises for many years ("I can get sick at home much more comfortably"). But I broke down and decided to try it, since the price is so low, and it's my only chance to see the deep blue sea again.

I guess no matter what you do, you're playing the odds one way or another.

Cousin had to cancel a fight to Cleveland for a wedding last week because she got the "flu" in her own house doing her normal things. Stopping cruising because you might "get sick" is a sad thing -- might get sick anyway. The ship is really on top of keeping infections under control and yes people do get sick but it also gets reported more when they do have a breakout. I do agree there is a bit more of a chanch on the ship because people come from all over and bring germs with them. On the other hand you are exposed to many different germs in a grocery store or heaven forbid the Dr's office and you don't have the fun of cruising!

Can't hide from germs or bedbugs. Go for the cruise.

I have gotten sick from my grkids...but, I'm not going to stay away from them. I feel the same way about cruising.

'Hand sanitizer works as well if not better than washing your hands'.(a quote from an infectious disease doctor I work with).

The smartest thing is to ONLY use one's own facilities on board .Wash hands often Avoid public washrooms .Open doors with sleeves or arms not hands

Use pepto at first sign of trouble ...nip the bug in the bud

Ice cubes do make it worse

Hi There

both Hilton and Marriott hotels have made the press here the past few months with Noro, so what will still stay in a hotel ,will still take a cruise.

Was on Sun a few years ago when she had noro bad on a few cruises,

never caught anything.

Last year folk of a smaller cruise ship visited Scotland and were being sick in the street of the town they visited YUK.

yours shogun

I was the one and only pax that got sick on our Crown Princess cruise! The medical team was fantastic & I think the bill was around $70 for everything & at the time I would have paid anything to stop the whole thing going on....if you know what I mean:eek:. We were reimbursed for everything with our health coverage, but that is beside the point..Princess medical staff took wonderful care of me & brought special meals to my room & even did the icky laundry free of charge. Plus put us in cab to the airport 2 days later--free . What would a 5* hotel do??? Nothing I would guess.

Jan

I have gotten sick from my grkids...but, I'm not going to stay away from them. I feel the same way about cruising.

'Hand sanitizer works as well if not better than washing your hands'.(a quote from an infectious disease doctor I work with).

I work with the infection control team in a hospital and washing your hands is the much preferred method for keeping infections at bay. The Norovirus germ is not effectively killed by your run of the mill hand sanitizer. After reading this very comment on these boards, I had to check the CDC website for myself and there it was. Hand Sanitizer does work to kill some germs but if not for the one you are exposed to, then you do stand a good chance of becoming ill.

Quote in this thead:

The smartest thing is to ONLY use one's own facilities on board .Wash hands often Avoid public washrooms .Open doors with sleeves or arms not hands -- touche' -- many restrooms place a trash can right by the door so it is smart to use the paper towel to open the door.

We were on the Golden a couple of years ago and encountered a Norovirus outbreak....washed like crazy -- didn't shake hands with fellow pax once hands were clean. Just kept very safe by being extra careful and made it out unscathed.

I was the one and only pax that got sick on our Crown Princess cruise! The medical team was fantastic & I think the bill was around $70 for everything & at the time I would have paid anything to stop the whole thing going on....if you know what I mean:eek:. We were reimbursed for everything with our health coverage, but that is beside the point..Princess medical staff took wonderful care of me & brought special meals to my room & even did the icky laundry free of charge. Plus put us in cab to the airport 2 days later--free . What would a 5* hotel do??? Nothing I would guess.

Jan

Sorry to hear about your illness. Hope that you're on the mend.

Just remember folks, you can get sick anywhere. Most of my flu type illnesses where acquired at work... a place that I could not avoid.

Quote in this thead:

The smartest thing is to ONLY use one's own facilities on board .Wash hands often Avoid public washrooms .Open doors with sleeves or arms not hands -- touche' -- many restrooms place a trash can right by the door so it is smart to use the paper towel to open the door.

And don't eat ANYTHING with your fingers, not even rolls and donuts. We keep a foaming handsoap in our cabin and wash immediately upon entering and leaving it. And then we still assume that we have the germs on our hands and don't use them to eat anything. So far so good...

I truly believe that one of the culprits for spreading the virus are the menu covers, and we discreetly use an alcohol wipe under the table after we handle them.

I love it. Everyone is so busy trying to prevent it. Guess what? One of these days it will get all of you and it's going to be bad then because you never had it and never gave your body a chance to fight it or develop an immunity. My daughter, raised on a ranch, wont let her girls play in the dirt. She use to sit in mudpuddles and play.:confused:

Sorry to hear about your illness. Hope that you're on the mend.

Just remember folks, you can get sick anywhere. Most of my flu type illnesses where acquired at work... a place that I could not avoid.

Thanks! I had the shot for the stomach problem & pills for the "other end" lol (but not at the time!) & I was feeling almost like new about 10 hours later. From no on I touch nothing! & keep my hands away from my face, but you are right...it can happen anywhere, Jan

I truly believe that one of the culprits for spreading the virus are the menu covers, and we discreetly use an alcohol wipe under the table after we handle them.

I believe that this is true. We go into many resturants and the menus are just disgusting. I mentioned this to my hubby and then told the waiter. Also the salt and pepper shakers I believe harbor lots of germs.

And don't eat ANYTHING with your fingers, not even rolls and donuts. We keep a foaming handsoap in our cabin and wash immediately upon entering and leaving it. And then we still assume that we have the germs on our hands and don't use them to eat anything. So far so good...

Too bad the guy we saw in the HC grabbing shrimp with his fingers from the display and dipping them directly into the cocktail sauce did not practice that. :eek:

I got sick mid-way thru my first cruise which was on Carnival. I was one of two in our group of 16 to get sick. Both on the same day. I felt bad in the morning was hating life by 3pm. The next day all was well and I continued on with the fun. Unless you have an underlying condition Noro Virus is a 24 hr bug. I get sick at home also, yet I’m not afraid to return there every night.

I work with the infection control team in a hospital and washing your hands is the much preferred method for keeping infections at bay. The Norovirus germ is not effectively killed by your run of the mill hand sanitizer. After reading this very comment on these boards, I had to check the CDC website for myself and there it was. Hand Sanitizer does work to kill some germs but if not for the one you are exposed to, then you do stand a good chance of becoming ill.

Quote in this thead:

We were on the Golden a couple of years ago and encountered a Norovirus outbreak....washed like crazy -- didn't shake hands with fellow pax once hands were clean. Just kept very safe by being extra careful and made it out unscathed.

In the Horizon Buffet have you ever noticed how many people replace the serving untensils on TOP of the food being presented? They do it in restaurants and supermarkets salad bars, too. And others waltz right past the hand sanitizer, regardless of its efficacy. There's no way to be absolutely safe, no matter how hard one tries.

Archived