cost of unlimited laundry on Grand Princess

slotl

Very interesting, thanks for explaining what you saw. I had not heard a word about this new way of washing before. Hopefully someone else who has taken the UST can chime in here and fill us in even more. ;) I would have never guessed that disposing of chemicals would be easier than disposing of wash water. Thanks again!

When I did the UST, I saw the huge machines and they explained that they don't use water. These new machines are why Princess doesn't offer separate dry cleaning. There was so much information thrown at us that I don't remember what chemical they use but the machines reminded me of the large self-service dry cleaning machines at my old dry cleaner back in CA. Perhaps someone who has also been on the UST has a better memory than I do.

Pam

I have to admit I've done the UST three times--When we were in the laundry the only thing that really held my interest was the gigantic ironing machines for sheets etc and the folding machines for same.

I knew they were using a wet method of some sort for dry cleaning--our last tour was on the Emerald a couple of months ago or less--

Could be I wasn't paying attention to whoever was speaking down there as well as I should have been.

Nancy:D:D

Just remember if you have to go forward and up or aft and down to find the washers, etc. don't have too much wine while waiting the 30 minutes to go back:D Been there, done that and took me an hour to find the washing machine I used.:eek: I am sure I don't have to tell you where my stuff was when I finally found it:D

Well, it is laundry time here......

Not really. Princess bought the ship and in the numerous dry docks the ship has had since then they were free to add additional laundry areas. They chose not to do that, which is why we view Princess negatively. To those who are in love with Princess we say "glad you are happy." We are not in love with Princess and view them in a more jaundiced light. To each his/her own.

Hmmmm... whatever. Neither Azamara nor Oceania added additional laundry rooms either. Methinks you underestimate the complexity of adding that much additional plumbing to the interior of a ship. All three cruise lines with "R" ships must have looked at that cost and decided it wasn't worth it. And so, by your reasoning, you must view those cruise lines negatively too... correct? :)

Hmmmm... whatever. Neither Azamara nor Oceania added additional laundry rooms either. Methinks you underestimate the complexity of adding that much additional plumbing to the interior of a ship. All three cruise lines with "R" ships must have looked at that cost and decided it wasn't worth it. And so, by your reasoning, you must view those cruise lines negatively too... correct? :)

I doubt that it is complexity as my father was a plumber during WWII converting ocean liners to troop ships. I was amazed at the process and what they were able to do in those conversions. As to cost of conversion you are probably correct. As far as our views of Azamara and Oceania we have never sailed with them and we aren't familiar with their practices so we can't really respond to your conclusion/question. Our negative feelings about Princess are not the result of one factor, but a whole host of issues, which would go beyond the scope of this thread. Laundry is just one item.

Our negative feelings about Princess are not the result of one factor, but a whole host of issues, which would go beyond the scope of this thread. Laundry is just one item.

I might wish I hadn't asked this question, but I see only one Princess cruise in your cruise history, and that was on the Pacific Princess. One Princess cruise soured you totally for Princess? I hate to see that happen when someone has only tried Princess one time, and on a ship that was not built for Princess that is not a representative IMHO of the rest of the fleet. Sometimes the small ships are not to everyone's taste, as they are a totally different cruise experience then the larger ships. Many either love em or hate em, but very few inbetween.

I might wish I hadn't asked this question, but I see only one Princess cruise in your cruise history, and that was on the Pacific Princess. One Princess cruise soured you totally for Princess? I hate to see that happen when someone has only tried Princess one time, and on a ship that was not built for Princess that is not a representative IMHO of the rest of the fleet. Sometimes the small ships are not to everyone's taste, as they are a totally different cruise experience then the larger ships. Many either love em or hate em, but very few inbetween.

Toto2Kansas,

I notice in your cruise history that you have ONLY sailed on Princess. In our cruise history, you will see that we "spread our money around" to various cruise lines. Our favorites are HAL, Princess, Azamara, and although we have not sailed them -- Oceania and Celebrity. I agree that Princess onboard experience is excellent. It is just very frustrating to deal with their corporate offices. Aside from the pricing issues on our last cruise, Princess also failed to recognize our Carnival Stock which we faxed to them before we left home. When we boarded the ship in Papeete, we noticed the $250 missing from our OBC. We brought the certificate with us, the ship contacted corporate and corporate told us the certificate was not valid. Huh??? Our shares are held by Carnival. The certificate number was on the certificate the ship faxed to them. How difficult would it be for Princess to look up/verify the certificate on their files instead of outright rejection of the certificate???? Noooooo, corporate couldn't do that. So here we were in the middle of the South Pacific trying to find out exactly what Princess would accept to prove our stock ownership. Thank goodness we had free internet (Platinum). 5 hours later (with the ship contacting corporate back and forth with a huge time difference), we finally were able to prove we owned the stock. Simple for corporate, difficult for the passenger........but corporate was unwilling to help. Let me repeat over and over -- onboard Princess is great, dealing with corporate is a nightmare.

Toto2Kansas, I hope you have better dealings with corporate than we do. Our TA also says Princess corporate is the worst cruise line to work with. She gets frustrated dealing with them as well.

My DH and I LOVE the smaller ships (especially the "old" R ships). Small, intimate, goes to exotic locations big ships cannot reach, 700 passengers who love to travel, few children.....what else could you ask for? Rock climbing walls, ice rinks? Not for us.....

Passing the glass cleaner to you Slotl (you might want to clean your monitor!) :)

Copy of my cruise history below (I have my princess ships and dates listed, but on the top it tells of our cruises on other cruise lines, I think they add up to 15 out of our 40+ cruises that were sailed on various cruise lines.) ;) We tried many cruise lines before finding the one we enjoyed the most:

Past Cruises:

Princess X26--RCI X5--HAL X2--Celebrity X2--CCL X5--BRB X1

1993 Fair Princess Hawaii/Tahiti 1994 Regal Princess Alaska 1995-Regal Princess 1996 Crown Princess 1998 Grand Princess Caribbean 2002 Crown Princess Hawaii/Tahiti 2002 Crown PrincessTahiti/Hawaii 2003 Dawn Princess Caribbean 2003 Grand Princess Caribbean 2003 Star Princess Trans Pacific LA/Sydney 2004 Sun Princess Caribbean 2004 Caribbean Princess Caribbean 2004 Tahitian Princess Tahiti 2004 Golden Princess British Isles 2005 Sea Princess Caribbean 2006 Sun Princess Caribbean 2006 Caribbean Princess Caribbean 2006 Sea Princess Caribbean 2007 Dawn Princess Mexico 2007 Caribbean Princess Caribbean 2007 Star Princess Egypt/Aegean 2009 Grand Princess Caribbean 2009 Pacific Princess Hawaii/Tahiti/Tahiti 2009 Emerald Princess/Caribbean 2010

passing the glass cleaner to you slotl (you might want to clean your monitor!) :)

copy of my cruise history below (i have my princess ships and dates listed, but on the top it tells of our cruises on other cruise lines, i think they add up to 15 out of our 40+ cruises that were sailed on various cruise lines.) ;) we tried many cruise lines before finding the one we enjoyed the most:

past cruises:

princess x26--rci x5--hal x2--celebrity x2--ccl x5--brb x1

1993 fair princess hawaii/tahiti 1994 regal princess alaska 1995-regal princess 1996 crown princess 1998 grand princess caribbean 2002 crown princess hawaii/tahiti 2002 crown princesstahiti/hawaii 2003 dawn princess caribbean 2003 grand princess caribbean 2003 star princess trans pacific la/sydney 2004 sun princess caribbean 2004 caribbean princess caribbean 2004 tahitian princess tahiti 2004 golden princess british isles 2005 sea princess caribbean 2006 sun princess caribbean 2006 caribbean princess caribbean 2006 sea princess caribbean 2007 dawn princess mexico 2007 caribbean princess caribbean 2007 star princess egypt/aegean 2009 grand princess caribbean 2009 pacific princess hawaii/tahiti/tahiti 2009 emerald princess/caribbean 2010

:) :) :)

Toto2Kansas,

My DH and I LOVE the smaller ships (especially the "old" R ships). Small, intimate, goes to exotic locations big ships cannot reach, 700 passengers who love to travel, few children.....what else could you ask for? Rock climbing walls, ice rinks? Not for us.....

By the way, my comment below was in direct response to fun_seeker about the one cruise and the smaller ships. That is why I quoted them in my post. ;)

The cost for a washer is $1.00 per load

The cost for a dryer is $1.00 per load

The cost for soap, powdered bleach is $ .50 per packet

The machines only take quarters. There is a change machine in the laundramat, but you can also get quarters at the pursers desk.

We just got off the Ruby and the laundry prices were $1.50 for each washer and dryer and $1.00 for soap, softener.

We just got off the Ruby and the laundry prices were $1.50 for each washer and dryer and $1.00 for soap, softener.

Hmmmm, when I contacted Princess corporate about unlimited laundry, their answer to me was how much the machines cost in the laundramat.

Another example where Princess corporate has no "correct" answers. First, they answer an question which I did not ask, then second, they give out the wrong information.

Just what I would have expected from their "customer service". Here is a copy of the email:

Hi Lois,

Below is the cost of laundry service on the Grand Princess:

SHP WASHING MACHINE DRYR DETERGNT LAUNDRY ROOM HOURS

Grand Princess $1.00 per load $1.00 per load $0.50 per packet 24 Hours

There is no way to prepay for laundry service as all machines take cash/coins.

Thank you

Best regards,

Renee Wittwer for Berda Davis

Group Services Agent

Grand & Star Princess

Hmmmm, when I contacted Princess corporate about unlimited laundry, their answer to me was how much the machines cost in the laundramat.

Another example where Princess corporate has no "correct" answers. First, they answer an question which I did not ask, then second, they give out the wrong information.

Just what I would have expected from their "customer service". Here is a copy of the email:

Hi Lois,

I bet the answer would have been different if you had asked about the Ruby instead of about the Grand.

Hi Lois,

There is no way to prepay for laundry service as all machines take cash/coins.

Thank you

Best regards,

Renee Wittwer for Berda Davis

Group Services Agent

Grand & Star Princess

Obviously you made up your mind about Princess corporate, give it a rest and get on with live.

Theo

My first thought about allowing unlimited laundry for a single price was the incident I witnessed on our just completed Grand Princess cruise. I saw a woman walking around with a whole fist full of clothes on wire hangers, delivering them to other cabins. My assumption is that she was Elite or in a suite and was using her free laundry perk for everyone else she knew on the ship. Unlimited laundry would be, IMNSHO, another way for people to misuse the system.

My first thought about allowing unlimited laundry for a single price was the incident I witnessed on our just completed Grand Princess cruise. I saw a woman walking around with a whole fist full of clothes on wire hangers, delivering them to other cabins. My assumption is that she was Elite or in a suite and was using her free laundry perk for everyone else she knew on the ship. Unlimited laundry would be, IMNSHO, another way for people to misuse the system.

It's incidents like this that will spoil the perk for the rest of us.

Archived