cost of unlimited laundry on Grand Princess

slotl

I have read several times that Princess have laundry rooms on every deck of every ship. However, looking at the deck plans of the Sea Princess, I can not locate the laundry room on the Riviera deck (where our cabin is) - can anybody tell me where it is located on this deck?

Cheers,

Ralph

I have read several times that Princess have laundry rooms on every deck of every ship. However, looking at the deck plans of the Sea Princess, I can not locate the laundry room on the Riviera deck (where our cabin is) - can anybody tell me where it is located on this deck?

Cheers,

Ralph

Princess does not have a laundry room on every passenger cabin deck of every ship. They do have them on most decks. You may have to go up or down a deck to find one.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph, The self service laundry rooms are not always on 'every' passenger deck (especially on smaller passenger decks by the pool, such as Riviera). On the Sea Princess there is not a laundry room on the Riviera Deck, the closest one to your cabin would be one deck down on Aloha Deck. ;)

There are a lot of things that they COULD offer at a price, that they don't. Not sure what the argument here is, as unlimited laundry is just not offered on Princess ships.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into another one of your 'rant threads' slotl (as was last summer) where you will 'never sail Princess again' because they didn't do what YOU wanted them to do. :rolleyes:

I agree and I am reading this thread that has grown in spite of the fact Princess does NOT offer the service the OP is requesting. If doing a load of laundry every few days of so is going to put such a damper on one's cruise then they do need to look at other cruise lines.:rolleyes:

Exactly. HAL offers a "by the bag" price at any time as well as an unlimited laundry price for the length of the cruise, regardless of loyalty program status or cabin type. On the other hand, Princess has self-serve laundries on every deck on every ship, HAL has them on some ships, only one or two for the entire ship, or not all. Princess is probably missing the boat by offering laundry packages but then they have so many self-serve laundries on each ship it may not be profitable for them.

Exactly.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the responses re. the Sea Princess Riviera deck. I had suspected that this was the case and I was prepared for the fact that I would have to send the wife downstairs to do it whilst I remained on my balcony with a pint of the local brew!

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks for the responses re. the Sea Princess Riviera deck. I had suspected that this was the case and I was prepared for the fact that I would have to send the wife downstairs to do it whilst I remained on my balcony with a pint of the local brew!

Cheers,

Ralph

Glad to hear that you have taken on the difficult job of protecting the pint. :)

I sure hope this doesn't turn into another one of your 'rant threads' slotl (as was last summer) where you will 'never sail Princess again' because they didn't do what YOU wanted them to do. :rolleyes:

My TA came up with a deal that I couldn't resist (even having to sail on Princess). I have NEVER complained about my onboard experience with Princess. The ship has never let me down.

It is Princess Corporate which I have problems with......and I see that nothing has changed. It is difficult to find the "right" person, even when you find the "right" people, they don't have the answers. The booking department has no knowledge of the advertising brochures that the passengers receive and their computer systems do not contain all the promotion codes listed on the brochures. Unless you press the issue, you will get bs answers which don't address the actual issue: example: any balcony for same price as outside. Even when a certain category is listed on the brochure, the response was "not available because of capacity control". Yet the desired room is available. I could go on and on. Bottom line: Princess corporate needs to get it's act together.

BTW, unlimited laundry which should be under the control of corporate directives one way or the other, says that unlimited laundry is up to the discression of each ship. When you try to "contact the ship" to ask, there is no email address or way to contact the ship. Would Princess customer service try to contact the ship? NO!!

Why are you getting so worked up over unlimited laundry for one price? If they don't have it on your ship then do it your self, send it out and pay by the piece or wear it dirty.

Toto2Kansas posted that I hate dealing with Princess. This issue is NOT that they have unlimited laundry or not. It is the Princess corporate 'none answers' that frustrate me.

Corporate needs to make a decision to offer it (additional revenue source) or not offer it for whatever reason. The BS answer of "each ship is different" and "no, I can't contact the ship to find the answer", is the type of response which frustrates me in my dealings with Princess corporate.

If I have to do my own laundry -- so be it. After this cruise, I will be 7 days away from Elite status.

My original post asked a simple question (is unlimited laundry available on the Grand?).....it was not a rant.

Toto2Kansas posted that I hate dealing with Princess. This issue is NOT that they have unlimited laundry or not. It is the Princess corporate 'none answers' that frustrate me.

Corporate needs to make a decision to offer it (additional revenue source) or not offer it for whatever reason. The BS answer of "each ship is different" and "no, I can't contact the ship to find the answer", is the type of response which frustrates me in my dealings with Princess corporate.

If I have to do my own laundry -- so be it. After this cruise, I will be 7 days away from Elite status.

My original post asked a simple question (is unlimited laundry available on the Grand?).....it was not a rant.

I don't know.. but corporate's answer that unlimited laundry is up to the discretion of the ship is an answer and certainly not a "BS" one. . Maybe one that you don't like, but it is what it is. And I would think that there would be no easy way for them to contact the ship and get you an answer while you are hanging on the phone IMHO.

Look on the bright side, you'll be Elite soon and all these nagging worries about laundry will disappear. :p

slotl, I don't think I ever said you hated Princess in my response, or even that you hated dealing with Princess corporate. All I know is that you have said so many times in the past you would never sail Princess again, which gets old after awhile when someone keeps repeating that phrase and then a year later, poof, they are back. :rolleyes:

Many of us read when you threw fits because you were not offered the balcony promotion others were (even though we explained how this works with Princess but you continued on), we also endeared 8 pages where you were never going to sail on Princess again because they would not give you $1000 off your cabin because a realtive was offered it and you weren't.

Yes, you asked if there was unlimited laundry onboard Princess, for a fee, many of us have told you there is not. But you continued on, each time a little more forceful then the previous time, like you are going to change it. IMHO Last time it went on for 8 pages or more....I was just hoping that this would not turn out the same. As no matter how many times you say "I WANT UNLIMITED LAUNDRY for a PRICE and they are wrong for not offering it" you aren't going to find unlimited laundry for a fee on Princess. That should have probably been the end of it, but again, it wasn't.

It seems when we try to give you an answer you don't like, it makes you more determined to prove your point that this or that should be offered. Good luck changing the rules on Princess, and if you find out how, please share with us some constructive information. Thank You!

On the other hand, Princess has self-serve laundries on every deck on every ship, ....

Unfortunately your statement is not true. The Pacific Princess has one self-serve laundry area for the entire ship. With 700 passengers aboard that is woefully inadequate. The problem is compounded by the fact that the cruise is for 29 days. It isn't the cost that is the problem, it is the inadequacy of the facilities.

Lois, there are many things one cruiseline does that another doesn't, which gives all of us choices. Which is a good thing. On Princess, one can achieve Elite at a much lower level than 4-star Mariner on HAL which means a lot more passengers getting unlimited, free laundry and Internet. Because Princess does this, then HAL should. But they don't. Just one of the differences.

Another difference is that Princess gives the Hotel Manager a lot more leeway in making onboard operational decisions, which results in inconsistency between ships and the reason why Corporate often can't answer a question specifically because many things are not company-wide policy.

My guess is that because Princess has a lot more self-service laundries on their ships than HAL, and a lot more passengers qualifying for free laundry, providing "per bag" or "per cruise unlimited laundry" packages is not a priority.

Your question was asked and has been answered; you have options: do it yourself in the self-service laundry or send it out per-piece and hope for a "by the bag" promo on the ship.

Unless you press the issue, you will get bs answers which don't address the actual issue: example: any balcony for same price as outside. Even when a certain category is listed on the brochure, the response was "not available because of capacity control". Yet the desired room is available.

If you see a sale on an airplane flight, it is also capacity controlled. For example, a coach seat from xxx to yyy for $125. There may be only 10 seats at that price. After that, yes, there are coach seats available, but not any more at the $125 price.

So it is with the Princess offer. Maybe only 10 balconies in the category were available at that price. After those 10 are booked, remaining cabins in that category will be at a higher rate.

By the way, what would you consider to be a fair price for unlimited laundry service on a seven day cruise?

What price have you seen for unlimited laundry service on other cruise lines?

OK--OK--so we have free laundry--so what--I'm very careful what I send out on the ship===I'm careful with my laundry--cold water etc--dry cleaning is scary on the ship--if most of your clothing is of cotton or cottonblend probably OK--We don't pack light and don't need too much laundered aboard--

I've found that my notes to the laundry are many times useless--I'm not beyond finding the washing machines and dryers and put my quarters in them--although I have'nt for a long time--7to 10 day cruises are easy--but after that you need to plan on laundry/dry cleaning.

I find it really strange/amazing that folks want to have their clothes laundered/dry cleaned just prior to flying home--then pack them/wrinkle them and get them home and need to take care of them again.

Don't know about the rest of you but--even packing very carefully using every trick we've all heard about--I can't imagine hanging the clothes from the suitcase back in the closet when I get home--as you can see--even with free laundry I try to dodge it as long as possible.

Nancy:D

Unfortunately your statement is not true. The Pacific Princess has one self-serve laundry area for the entire ship. With 700 passengers aboard that is woefully inadequate. The problem is compounded by the fact that the cruise is for 29 days. It isn't the cost that is the problem, it is the inadequacy of the facilities.

Well, although having only one laundry appears to be a problem on the small ships, you really have to take that up with the now-defunct Renaissance Cruise Line. It was their design... not Princess'. :rolleyes:

Well, although having only one laundry appears to be a problem on the small ships, you really have to take that up with the now-defunct Renaissance Cruise Line. It was their design... not Princess'. :rolleyes:

Not really. Princess bought the ship and in the numerous dry docks the ship has had since then they were free to add additional laundry areas. They chose not to do that, which is why we view Princess negatively. To those who are in love with Princess we say "glad you are happy." We are not in love with Princess and view them in a more jaundiced light. To each his/her own.

By the way, what would you consider to be a fair price for unlimited laundry service on a seven day cruise?

What price have you seen for unlimited laundry service on other cruise lines?

First, I wouldn't use the laundry on a 7 day cruise. I would bring enough clothes. I have no idea how much Princess would charge for a 14 day cruise. My hubby and I (with free laundry on HAL) usually sent 2 bags down every 3 to 4 days. One bag colored laundry the other bag whites.

Before we made 4 Star on HAL, we took a 65 day Grand Asia/Australia cruise and paid $249 for unlimited laundry for the 65 days. No dry cleaning....just laundry services (which included ironing). My hubby's shirts were ironed (and starched if you like) and sent back on hangers. Besides my hubby's suits for formal nights, we bring NO CLOTHES REQUIRING DRY CLEANING. All or subsequent cruises on HAL we have enjoyed the free laundry services. HAL charges $20 per bag (if purchased separately)

So, in my "estimate" $100 for 14 days is worth the price considering 65 days was $249 on HAL.

Nancy, the Princess laundry service is not a hot/cold water system but a chemical process. I send everything out and other than an occasional button broken, have never had a problem.

Pam--Sure shows what I don't know--maybe what I'm getting is problem pressing--and of course on a short cruise it really doesn't matter--I think that the main problem for me is the pressing--we've had some problems--mostly John's though--I've been pretty lucky for myself--just don't send unecessarily--to take home clean clothes--

Thanks for the information Pam.

Nancy:D

Nancy, the Princess laundry service is not a hot/cold water system but a chemical process. I send everything out and other than an occasional button broken, have never had a problem.

Pam, now you have me a bit confused here. I know that the dry cleaning is a chemical process now (not as we know dry cleaning at home), but I have never heard that the actual laundry is also done by a chemical process and not done by regular washing. Am I missing something here? Please explain, as I have never heard that the laundry wasn't washed in water before. :confused:

Pam, now you have me a bit confused here. I know that the dry cleaning is a chemical process now (not as we know dry cleaning at home), but I have never heard that the actual laundry is also done by a chemical process and not done by regular washing. Am I missing something here? Please explain, as I have never heard that the laundry wasn't washed in water before. :confused:
When I did the UST, I saw the huge machines and they explained that they don't use water. These new machines are why Princess doesn't offer separate dry cleaning. There was so much information thrown at us that I don't remember what chemical they use but the machines reminded me of the large self-service dry cleaning machines at my old dry cleaner back in CA. Perhaps someone who has also been on the UST has a better memory than I do.

Archived