New printable luggage tags

poodlewamp

wE ARE SCHEDULED FOR A CARIBBEAN CRUISE, THIS NOVEMBER.

LAST TIME WE CRUISED WE RECEIVED LUGGAGE TAGS THROUGH THE CRUISE COMPANY. I SEE NOW THEY HAVE STOPPED DOING THIS, AND YOU HAVE TO PRINT OUT YOUR OWN TAGS !!

LUGGAGE TAGS OUT OF FOLDED PRINTER PAPER DOESN'T LOOK

TO ME AS IF THEY WOULD HOLD UP VERY WELL ??

HAS ANYBODY USED THEM, AND DID THEY ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION INTACT ON YOUR BAGS ???

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

B.J.

P.S. WE HAD THOUGH OF PUTTING A PLASTIC COATING ON THEM BEFORE HAND ~~~

There have been several threads on this subject.

We have found that when folded according to the instructions and attached not using staples but using either twist ties or cable ties through a punched hole works well. We do not attached until ready to go to the ship.

Others have done everything from an arts and crafts project involing laminating to buying special holders to put the folded (or cut) tag into.

Encasing them in two pieces of packaging tape or taking the fancier route of laminating them will make the luggage tags nearly indestructible. We just take a few small cable ties to attach them (and my Leatherman is always in my checked bag to remove the cable ties when necessary).

What we and others have done, after folding the paper then cover both sides with clear shipping tape. Then punch small round holes in both ends. After your flight, if flying, then attach the princess tags to your bags with small plastic wire ties. The type that locks itself. Note, you will need to cut them off later.

I would not want to count on the tags being on the bags after being handled while loading on an aircraft.

Bob

The self-printed tags have been around for almost a year now, which means hundreds of thousands of passengers have printed their tags sp far, and most have found this process quick and easy, as you can print as many tags as you want and they have all of your information filled in.

Print them out, fold as directed, cover with clear packing tape, punch a hole and secure with a twist-tie, and they'll be fine.

We cover ours with clear packing tape (cheapest method), punch a hole through the tape/tags and then attach them with zip ties. Very simple. But I don't think I would trust them just printed off on plain copy paper and used without enforcing them in some way. ;)

We have used the printed luggage tags several times according to their directions and have never had a problem. No laminating, no packing tape, just fold and staple and off we go. Bags have always found their way to our room.

wE ARE SCHEDULED FOR A CARIBBEAN CRUISE, THIS NOVEMBER.

LAST TIME WE CRUISED WE RECEIVED LUGGAGE TAGS THROUGH THE CRUISE COMPANY. I SEE NOW THEY HAVE STOPPED DOING THIS, AND YOU HAVE TO PRINT OUT YOUR OWN TAGS !!

LUGGAGE TAGS OUT OF FOLDED PRINTER PAPER DOESN'T LOOK

TO ME AS IF THEY WOULD HOLD UP VERY WELL ??

HAS ANYBODY USED THEM, AND DID THEY ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION INTACT ON YOUR BAGS ???

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

B.J.

P.S. WE HAD THOUGH OF PUTTING A PLASTIC COATING ON THEM BEFORE HAND ~~~

Poodlewamp - We were not too happy about this Princess "cost cutting" change. I printed out the sheet - cut and put three luggage tags onto one page and photocopied three for me and three for my Partner and we had them laminated and cut. We then took a hole puncher and where it said "staple" we put the holes at both ends and will use a twist tie. I agree this is not a good thing and lost luggage will definitely be on the menu for Princess customers...

I agree this is not a good thing and lost luggage will definitely be on the menu for Princess customers...
Hasn't been so far as it's been used successfully for almost a year now. As a matter of fact, from what I've seen and experienced, luggage has been delivered faster because the name and cabin # is clear and legible on the tag. I've seen some people's tag writing and wonder what they were thinking when they wrote their names. They were illegible scribbles.

OP - You might want to take your caps lock off. It's the equivalent of screaming or yelling. ;)

I laminated my luggage tags last month, punched holes in each end and attached them with zip ties. I really don't think this is necessary though. Staples will laminate an 8.5x11" page for about $1.29. Squeeze as many as you can on that page and have them laminated if it makes you feel better.

It sounds like some have had luck using the tags on plain paper. But for us, I am not willing to take the chance with lost or delayed luggage when a few pieces of packing tape will assure they will be strong enough to make it to my stateroom. :) :)

Toto2Kansas - I agree with you totally... Packing tape is good, but the lamination came out great for our cruise. I would not take a chance with flimsy piece of paper -- wait until it raining...

Chrysalis - That is really funny...

All this extra effort because of trivial cost cutting; cut the execs salaries instead and send the darn tags...

SusieS - Fancy meeting you here in luggage tag land....

If you haven't seen this link in other threads about the luggage tags, here is a re-usable tag designed specifically for the Princess luggage tags.

http://www.*****.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html

I honestly don't see the big deal with printing out one's luggage tags. It's not new, been around for a while, and most of the cruiselines are doing it.

Chrysalis - too funny for words, thanks!

It really isn't hard to fold, wrap around the handle, staple and then add a layer of packing tape. No hole punch involved and it stays in place. Last time our tags made it fine, but the handle of the suitcase had been ripped off - oops. We laughed our heads off and made a new handle.

It's always been an exciting day when you can finally print your boarding pass and luggage tags - we do a little "luggage tag dance" and make it a fun time. No more waiting for your TA or Princess to forward them :D

DH laminated our luggage tags at the office, but packing tape is a good option, too. I punched holes in the tags, slipped twine through, and tied them with several knots to the handles of our bags. I know that Princess suggests stapling the tags, but I didn't want to think about a baggage handler being injured by a staple :(

Chris

Archived