It's finally hitting home - I'm going on a cruise!

rajones007

After having you nice people graciously answer my never-ending stream of questions I booked a Princess cruise a couple months ago on the Crown in January of 2011.

Just the other day I noticed I could now print out my boarding passes and luggage tags. WHAT A NICE FEELING! It seems like such a little thing, but it's finally hitting me. I thought I was excited before, well, I'm way beyond excited now. Seeing those boarding passes and luggage tags is like reality setting in. Before it was just confirmation emails and looking at a website. Now it's actual documentation. I feel like I'm 7 years old again and it's the day before Christmas.

I just hope I'm not setting myself up to be disappointed. I tend to do that. I get myself all worked up with expectations that can't possibly be met. Yeah, I have too much time on my hands! ahahahaha. Ah, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I initially was wishy-washy on cabin selection and finally settled on an AD mini-suite, but last week my GF and I got talking. This is our first real vacation, just the two of us. And I made one of my patented oh-god-what-have-I-done spontaneous decisions: I said "To hell with it...let's do it right". So I called Princess and changed to a Vista Suite. D736 to be exact.

Anyways, thanks very much to all of you for putting up with my questions (and thread high-jacking.) You are a fine forum of people. I know it must get frustrating to see the same questions over and over again. But you all take it in stride. And for an internet forum, that's an admirable trait.

What Ship? What itinerary? When?

Be sure and report back!!!

You will be super-addicted after a suite!

It's the Crown Princess. Western Caribbean. 8 Jan 2011.

Oh, I'll report back. Most definitely. I like to write (and talk) and there will be a long detailed report w/pics when I return. And very possibly nice HD videos to go along with it. (I have my own web site and plenty of storage and bandwidth available...so I can upload large files.)

I have to say too that the people I've spoken to at Princess have been aces. Nothing but aces.

A first cruise is often a uniquely special experience. But to help you fight off over expectation, just consider that cruisers have addictive personalities and (like junkies of all kinds) the truth is... it probably sucks... bad - just about everything about it. Of course it might not, but it probably does... And as you've probably picked up on, it's not as nice as it used to be back in the 'good old days' (back when they had rats onboard and scurvy;))

So,

Grand Caymen - Capt. Marvin (or Nativeway) to Sting Ray City and if you can hit Rum Point great...

Cozumel - I say east coast Paradise Beach or Chen Rio then a meal at Coconuts on the bluff overlooking that water (cab it - easy)...

Roatan - don't know - going out with Vic Bodden though on Thanksgiving! (Ryndam)

Have a good one!

Congratulations on the first cruise! You will be hooked!!

I agree with woodofpine - you HAVE to do Stingray City! We went

a couple of years ago and it was awesome! A strong second to our

best excursion ever - the first was the Sunrise Bike Ride down Haleakala in Hawaii! Amazing!

A first cruise is often a uniquely special experience. But to help you fight off over expectation, just consider that cruisers have addictive personalities and (like junkies of all kinds) the truth is... it probably sucks... bad - just about everything about it. Of course it might not, but it probably does... And as you've probably picked up on, it's not as nice as it used to be back in the 'good old days' (back when they had rats onboard and scurvy;))

So,

Grand Caymen - Capt. Marvin (or Nativeway) to Sting Ray City and if you can hit Rum Point great...

Cozumel - I say east coast Paradise Beach or Chen Rio then a meal at Coconuts on the bluff overlooking that water (cab it - easy)...

Roatan - don't know - going out with Vic Bodden though on Thanksgiving! (Ryndam)

Have a good one!

Thanks for the tips.

My GF an I aren't beach people, nor are we the adventurous type. As much as I enjoyed swimming when I was younger, I can't any more. I have issues with my ears and completely submerging in water is something I shouldn't be doing. We're not big drinkers either (well, she can be sometimes...and I like the occasional beer). We're doing it more for the ship experience as opposed to the destinations themselves. After initially being concerned with the itiniery, we eventually realized it wasn't that important to us.

When it comes to excurions, I've said it before: give me some history and/or some nature and/or some pirate forts and I'm a happy tourist. My GF is just happy to do something like this and will be wide-eyed and open-mouthed the entire cruise regardless of where we are or what we do.

Gosh! A first cruise! How exciting, and to step up to a Suite!!! Wowza. Enjoy every minute of it and while you are at it, start saving your pennies because you'll walk off that ship with another cruise booked ;)

Oh, we fully intend on purchasing the Future Cruise Credit package when we're on board.

I already have at least 2 other cruises in mind already, all during 2011. Some time in April I plan on taking my 3 daughters, just them and myself. Not sure what line at the moment. They're 25, 22, and 16 so I have to remember they aren't me and like things a little more lively than I prefer. I know you all might be thinking Carnival, but for this one I'm leaning more towards an eastern Caribbean on RCCL. I'm bypassing Carnival for that one because I belong to an organization that does an annual cruise...and they're doing a Carnival eastern USA/Canada cruise in early September. I've skipped out on it for a number of years, so it's about time I tagged along. I'll be taking my GF on that one.

So hopefully by the end of the year I'll have 3 cruises under my belt and will have a good idea on which line suits me better, how they differ, and how they're the same. I know that Princess is more my style, based on what I've learned here, but also because Princess is the line my father always preferred.

Welllll, that's the PLAN. And we all know how much the PLAN can differ from REALITY.

There are probably several reasons CC members post on these boards...our love of cruising and wanting to share our experiences with others AND because we miss it so much that discussing it makes it easier on us. ;)

Hope you'll have a great experience & get hooked like the rest of us who count the days until our next cruise.

We still get excitied as it gets closer to the cruise. Make sure you have found your roll call which helps keep up the excitement. As others have said, after your first cruise you will want to cruise again, so be sure to buy some future cruise credits while on board.

On Grand Caymen, we went to stingray city on the Allura. We highly recommend them and we can't wait until we go back to do it again.

Darlene

I'll be on the Crown a few weeks before you, so if there's anything you need checked out, let me know. If you're buying, I'd even be willing to purchase an upgrade to your suite, just to make sure all the lights work and the bed is nice and comfy. 'Cause that's the kind of self-sacrificing person I am . . .

Just wait til you lay eyes on that ship in person for the first time -- it's a wow moment that never, ever gets old.

Meanwhile, enjoy the anticipation! It's one-third of the fun.

I'll be on the Crown a few weeks before you, so if there's anything you need checked out, let me know. If you're buying, I'd even be willing to purchase an upgrade to your suite, just to make sure all the lights work and the bed is nice and comfy. 'Cause that's the kind of self-sacrificing person I am . . .

I appreciate your willingness to help. I'll gladly pay for your upgrade. Just send me your banking information and I'll get right on sending you the funds! I'm very trustworthy!

Seriously now...

I just realized the suite comes with laundry service too. All right!

So what's the turnaround time for laundry?

You are going to LOVE that suite! We were on an aft corner suite on the Emerald, and adored it! So much space and a huge balcony. Make sure you take advantage of all the suite perks, including hors d'ouevres, etc. We became very popular with our fellow cruisers, and our balcony became the unofficial happy hour destination.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the tips.

My GF an I aren't beach people, nor are we the adventurous type.

When it comes to excurions, I've said it before: give me some history and/or some nature and/or some pirate forts and I'm a happy tourist. My GF is just happy to do something like this and will be wide-eyed and open-mouthed the entire cruise regardless of where we are or what we do.

Welllll, that's the PLAN. And we all know how much the PLAN can differ from REALITY.

Well... Truth is I went on my first cruise sort of Shanghaied by family (if wasn't my preference). Obviously I loved it, but keeping expectations in check is important.

As far as history goes, at Coz, if you choose the line excusions to the mainland you can hit Tulum (or Coba Maya), the Mayan history of the Yucatan is very interesting. Coz itself has some (lesser) Mayan ruins at San Gervasio. If you go there on your own, you can later hit Coconuts on the east shore... A small cave in the bluff beneath the restaurant is known to attract 'naughty' couples!;) The restaurant serves very good Mex food semi-outdoors with strolling Mariachi players... gorgeous water to look out over.

Have a blast!

I just hope I'm not setting myself up to be disappointed. I tend to do that. I get myself all worked up with expectations that can't possibly be met. Yeah, I have too much time on my hands! ahahahaha. Ah, I'm sure it'll be fine...

That's what I did for my first full-length cruise. I set my expectations unrealistically high. After a few days, I realized everything is not going to be perfect. Now, 20-something cruises later, I think it's still a better vacation than just about any other option out there in my book. ;)

I appreciate your willingness to help. I'll gladly pay for your upgrade. Just send me your banking information and I'll get right on sending you the funds! I'm very trustworthy!

Wait, didn't you just send me an email from Nigeria?!

Seriously now...

I just realized the suite comes with laundry service too. All right!

So what's the turnaround time for laundry?

Next day; although you used to be able to get same-day service, I believe I've read reports that that has gone away.

Archived