When is Spring Break?

ready123go

We are thinking of cruising in mid-to-late March or early April, but want to avoid the dreaded "Spring Breakers" (or is it "Spring Breakage"). When is spring break typically held? When is it over? Any info or ideas are welcome.

TIA

Almost all of spring will have lots of kids and families. Starting in May, the colleges let out....

However, it shouldn't affect you! We typically cruise during those months (because the weather is so nice!) and haven't be bothered by other people's kids....since I'm not the one taking care of them, I don't even notice them!

My wife is a teacher and we always travel during her spring break -- next year it's March 12 -- 20. Last year we were in Cabo; next year we will be on the Eclipse. Her district has 78,000 students.

Spring break begins at the end of Feb and runs into late April.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

The Los Angeles unified school district (the second largest in the country) always takes off the week leading up to Easter (even when I was a kid). And some of the religious private schools in the area take off the next week.

For me, it's a matter of avoiding college kids on spring break, but colleges are staggering the breaks nowadays to avoid having all college students out the same week.

Almost all of spring will have lots of kids and families. Starting in May, the colleges let out....

However, it shouldn't affect you! We typically cruise during those months (because the weather is so nice!)

Good to know! Thanks!

and haven't be bothered by other people's kids....since I'm not the one taking care of them, I don't even notice them!

The young ones generally don't bother us either...

For me' date=' it's a matter of avoiding college kids on spring break[/quote']

Amen!

We've taken spring break cruises the last two years. My DH teaches at a community college. His break is usually the third week of March. Next year, however, they have switched to a crazy schedule that splits the break into two different weeks--Thursday through Tuesday--so we won't take a cruise. He does get a week-long break between the end of exams and the beginning of summer school, so we may schedule a cruise the second week of May.

We have never run into wild partying college kids or too many unruly teenagers.

In most school districts in Louisiana it is the week before or immediately following Easter. This does impact a lot of cruises leaving out of Galveston, New Orleans and Mobile. And then you have Mardi Gras where many school districts in the southern parts of the states close down either for 3 days or the whole week. This is another time that you will find lots of Spring Breakers on a cruise because parents don't mind taking there kids out of school for a couple of extra days.

We cruised last March 20th on Princess, 7-day Western Caribbean, and although there were kids on the ship, we didn't notice an over abundance of kids. The ones we did notice all seemed well behaved and well mannered. We never noticed any roudy kids.

That said... when we were in ports that included a Carnival ship, we definitely noticed there were more kids on those, and remarked on how glad we were to not be on those ships!

When we were looking at which dates to book for the Ruby's Eastern Caribbean next Mar/Apr, the travel agent we talked with said to stick with March 20th again because the following week starts the really busy Spring Break run.

Don't know if this is correct, but thought I would share her comments... as well as what we noticed last March. As we decided to stick with 20 March again, we sure hope this holds true! ;)

Archived