Shuttles from Docks to Town Centers for Marina Only!!

caroak

Please don't assume that those of us who like the idea of a shuttle can't afford a taxi and are looking to cut costs. No where in my replies have I suggested that I want "free" shuttles. I am more than willing to pay my fair share of the cost to a mass transportation site. I also think that using a shuttle is an efficient way to move numbers of people from a port to another transportation hub. On Artistic Sojourns we found ports where the availability

of taxis was severely limited; fortunately it was the reunion cruise and shuttles were offered. Some people cruise simply for the pleasure of being on water, others for dining or the spa or to "get away" with a loved one. Then there are those of us who cruise to be able to see what we've yearned our whole lives to see and I'll pay whatever it takes for a shuttle, taxi, bus, or shorex.

I most definitely was NOT assuming that...I was pointing out that there ARE a lot of folks who...while others, like me, have no trouble reaching into my pocket and paying for a taxi...I just don't expect it needs to be free...

In fact, I assume that MOST Oceania cruisers have no problem paying for their taxis and are very willing to do so...You, obviously, fall into this group as well...

And, to be truthful, I really don't think most Oceania cruisers desiring free shuttles are just being "cheap"...I think they just haven't really thought out the issue, the economics of it and so forth...

A lot of people think of additional fees and costs as being "nickled and dimed"...they think they've paid enough that they shouldn't have to pay for anything extra...Of course, they aren't thinking that the cruise line has to charge for it one way or another--they just don't give stuff away...if it costs, they either charge you directly or they blend it into everyone's fares...

Some things ARE traditionally included in cruise fares...food, obviously...but not necessarily specialty restaurants...The reason it makes sense for Oceania to blend the costs associated with these into everyone's fares is that everyone is given reservations and they expect that everyone uses them...

But shuttles are an interesting topic...not only are they not used by everyone, they are also in direct competition with part of the cruise lines business--SHORE EXCURSIONS--which the passengers actually pay for...

I really don't want to beat a dead horse here...and I really don't care all that much one way or another...but I really thought that everyone here needed to look at the subject as more than just "Gee, I really like free shuttles, they should provide them" versus "Hey, what? No free shuttles?"

Jan,

I find this a little hard to take at face value. Unless you are cruising gratis (and you could be), surely you, of all people, would know what category you booked and were given the cabin number :confused:

I didnt say I dont know the category.. I am booked in B4 on

Marina but dont pay any attention to where the stateroom is..dont ask to be port or starboard, forward or aft, althugh I do prefer aft..any cabin is fine with me..Especially on a new ship..

Jancruz1

but dont pay any attention to where the stateroom is..dont ask to be port or starboard, forward or aft, althugh I do prefer aft..any cabin is fine with me..Especially on a new ship..

Jancruz1

I dare say, you are a better woman than most of us. I have never met anyone who didn't know their cabin # after booking or didn't care where the cabin was (except those waitlisted). Good for you (I guess).

Paulchili. Sorry to get off the subject of the thread, but did you have good luck using your IPhone on your cruise?

I was given a surprise gift for my birthday - an iPad. I used it onboard Azamara with a wi-fi connection (free with A Club status). Very good speed but poor connection in the cabin. Thus I did not use my iPhone except on shore with wi-fi (for e mail). It was a lot more convenient to use the iPad with a larger screen and keyboard, yet light-weight.

I did not get any internet/data packages from AT&T for the iPhone.

I know, this probably doesn't help you very much :(

I dare say, you are a better woman than most of us. I have never met anyone who didn't know their cabin # after booking or didn't care where the cabin was (except those waitlisted). Good for you (I guess).

Thanks,,truth is I always have so much going on in my life..I dont have much time to think about my own trips until I am almost ready to leave and I start looking for my passport!

Jancruz1

I was given a surprise gift for my birthday - an iPad. I used it onboard Azamara with a wi-fi connection (free with A Club status). Very good speed but poor connection in the cabin. Thus I did not use my iPhone except on shore with wi-fi (for e mail). It was a lot more convenient to use the iPad with a larger screen and keyboard, yet light-weight.

I did not get any internet/data packages from AT&T for the iPhone.

I know, this probably doesn't help you very much :(

It does help since I had planned on getting and taking an IPad with me to Africa next year and my TA from Rome. Thanks :)

quote=Jancruz;26926182]Thanks,,truth is I always have so much going on in my life..I dont have much time to think about my own trips until I am almost ready to leave and I start looking for my passport!

Jancruz1

and..........your knitting:)

Thanks,,truth is I always have so much going on in my life..I dont have much time to think about my own trips until I am almost ready to leave and I start looking for my passport!

Jancruz1

Well, Jan, I hope you never have the experience I did looking for my passport on our way to Miami ... I know you remember what I am talking about!!!!!

And, to be truthful, I really don't think most Oceania cruisers desiring free shuttles are just being "cheap"...I think they just haven't really thought out the issue, the economics of it and so forth...

My perhaps incomplete memory of one recent thread about shuttles was that the focus was on having shuttles available, not that they should be "free." Most people, including myself, seemed to mention something like we'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for them. I have no idea why Oceania chose to have the cost included rather than to charge for them, but I assume they had what they consider to be good reasons.

The whole issue about paying for taxis, etc., is a complicated one for me, since unlike some of you, cruising on O is a definite splurge for us. So, once we decide to make the splurge, we don't want to then penny-pinch, but we also try not to continue to be too luxurious, so we try to find a balance. We all have our weirdness about spending money, and taxis fall into my category of something I don't really like to spend money on. Good food and wine, among other things---that's another story.

I'm also not someone who tends to think others should support my activities, so Bruin Steve's previous comments about subsidies are interesting. There are many aspects of a cruise/ship that are used by some people and not by others, as he said, many of which are those traditional parts of cruises that have been around for years. So, while I'm actually very happy about the shuttles and soft drinks/bottled water, I would be fine if they removed the gym, which I now realize I am subsidizing for others. Although I occasionally go to the nightly entertainment, I'd also be ok if they removed that instead of trying to improve it. On the other hand, if what they come up with is really good....

Interesting how people consider that some things should be included in the fare and others not included. When a cruise line positions itself as deluxe certain things are expected. That is why Oceania now includes bottled water and sodas which it did not do previously....because it wants to offer a premium which lesser lines do not. The same can be said for shuttles. It is something ALL luxury cruise lines offer on a complimentary basis and passengers on luxury lines are at least as capable of reaching into their pockets to pay for a taxi. But shuttles are a convenient service and it's nice to know they are there if you want them when you arrive at a port. Just like the bottled water and the capuccinos and the specialty restaurants. Oceania has obviously come to this conclusion after Azamara did.

Interesting how people consider that some things should be included in the fare and others not included. When a cruise line positions itself as deluxe certain things are expected. That is why Oceania now includes bottled water and sodas which it did not do previously....because it wants to offer a premium which lesser lines do not. The same can be said for shuttles. It is something ALL luxury cruise lines offer on a complimentary basis and passengers on luxury lines are at least as capable of reaching into their pockets to pay for a taxi. But shuttles are a convenient service and it's nice to know they are there if you want them when you arrive at a port. Just like the bottled water and the capuccinos and the specialty restaurants. Oceania has obviously come to this conclusion after Azamara did.

Does that mean free wine with lunch and dinner are next in our Oceania future?:confused:

Believe me when I say, no one at Oceania even looks at what Azamara is doing..what ever Frank and Bob decide to do, its certainly NOT because Azamara did it..

Jancruz1

...ust like the bottled water and the capuccinos and the specialty restaurants. Oceania has obviously come to this conclusion after Azamara did.

Oceania had capuccino and specialty restaurants long before Azamara even existed. Everyone knows that Azamara started out as a direct attempt to precisely copy Oceania, but failed. This was apparent because the only way they could persuade people to book was to drastically lower their fares. Then, they brought in new leadership, changed their name and raised their prices to the same level as Oceania, but still have to give away more than O to get bookings -- like free wine.

To add to the disparity, however, A charges for their specialty restaurants, unless one is in a suite. I wonder how that goes over with the folks who are upset that some passengers get more reservations on O than others?

I'm sure that if O ever decides to add free or included wine with meals there will be a thread very similar to this one here on CC.

And if Frank Del Rio pays absolutely no attention to what Azamara is doing imo he is not doing his job well. He should be paying attention not only to Azamara but to all the luxury lines from which he would like to attract converts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oceania had capuccino and specialty restaurants long before Azamara even existed. Everyone knows that Azamara started out as a direct attempt to precisely copy Oceania, but failed. This was apparent because the only way they could persuade people to book was to drastically lower their fares. Then, they brought in new leadership, changed their name and raised their prices to the same level as Oceania, but still have to give away more than O to get bookings -- like free wine.

To add to the disparity, however, A charges for their specialty restaurants, unless one is in a suite. I wonder how that goes over with the folks who are upset that some passengers get more reservations on O than others?

I think you need to take an Azamara cruise to see if they have "failed." After taking five Oceania cruises, we were reluctant to cruise with "copy-cat" Azamara but our friends were booked so we decided to join them. We don't drink alcohol so all that free-flowing stuff didn't factor into our decision. I will have to admit that we were impressed with Azamara. They had two fantastic BBQ nights out on deck around the pool and the jogging track above. They set out tables/tablecloths and chairs and went all-out in the food category. They had live music and we ate out there as we cruised in the warm, European summer weather. Their cappucchino (sp) machines were great! They had small fridges in every cabin stocked with sodas of your choice (we didn't drink any though). Large bottles of water were delivered to your cabin every day (now those we drank). Along with fresh flowers in your cabin and replenished fruit bowls, you were left with different chocolates each night at turndown. Their director of food and beverages came around to the tables every evening in every dining room. He was highly visible at all meals. They greeted passengers returning from a full day onshore to glasses of champagne in some ports. I think, all in all, they are doing an excellent job. And, if you have any status with RCI, then you receive very generous reciprocity. That all said, our three cruises in 2011 are with Oceania. But, I wouldn't hesitate cruising with Azamara again. And, we ate most of our meals in the specialty restaurants, paying the small fee that they charged. Nobody seemed to mind. Another nice touch was that the owner's cabin was unfilled and the first bingo game, played on the second day, gave that cabin away to the lucky winner, along with all the perks that come with that cabin. First time I've played bingo onboard a ship!!

Another nice touch was that the owner's cabin was unfilled and the first bingo game, played on the second day, gave that cabin away to the lucky winner, along with all the perks that come with that cabin. First time I've played bingo onboard a ship!!

What a fantastic idea! I'd pay twenty bucks a card, just for that game! :D

Archived