Shuttles from Docks to Town Centers for Marina Only!!

caroak

So, I, for one, am really not all that excited about the prospects of "Free Shuttles"...I'd be better off if they used that portion of the cruise fare to send me a free bottle of wine...

I will take the wine also :D

Lyn

Be careful what you wish for ;)

First of all there are some of us that do not do OYO exclusively. In some ports OYO for the experienced and the even not so experienced traveler is quite doable and in other ports a private tour works best at least for us. We do not do ship excursions for all the obvious reasons.

In discussing the shuttle situation I was not inferring that they be free and as many of us have mentioned we do not mind paying a nominal charge for the convenience of getting to town or nearby public transportation. I do not expect that a shuttle be available in a port such as Livorno for transportation to Florence which obviously would be an unreasonable expectation.

If O does offer free shuttles I do not see this as being subsidized by passengers that do not wish to use the service. If you want to look at it that way you could say that someone that has three steaks for dinner is being subsidized by the passengers that only eat one.

If O does offer free shuttles I do not see this as being subsidized by passengers that do not wish to use the service.

Sorry Caroak, but that is the very definition of a subsidy:

Subsidy:

Monetary assistance by the community, granted in support of a service which is regarded as being in the interest of some or all.

Insofar as the "free shuttles" are concerned, however, they are a done deal, so we had better figure out how to best utilize them. subsidized or not.

Folks,

Lots of stuff is "subsidized"...

I even gave the example of drinks on those ships with drinks included...

It is not a question as to whether this should exist in total or not...

Some things are subsidized due to practicality, some due to tradition...

One would only get rid of subsidies by a system where everything is "a la carte"...But, obviously, that would never happen...

The reason for bringing it up here is that SHUTTLES, traditionally, on most lines--and on Oceania IN PARTICULAR, have NOT been an item which has been subsidized...

Creating a system of "Free Shuttles" is a NEW subsidy...

Let's compare it to other items traditionally or currently not subsidized...or not currently existing...

...say, Children's Programs...

What if Oceania decided to create a new Children's Program and raise everyone's cruise fare $100 in order to provide for it? Obviously, everyone would not be using it...

...or Free Golf? Say, in every port, they arranged for greens fees, cart and club rentals, caddies...and, though the activity wouldn't be all that appealing to most cruisers, the rather large expense would be spread out among everyone...The golfers, who, in the past, might spend a large amount of money each for a shore excursion that did this same thing, but now, what a great benefit...at least for them...For everyone else, it would just be reflected in higher cruise fares...

That, my friends, is a subsidy not currently offered on an activity fairly appealing to a portion of the clintele...that would be hidden in your cruise fare...That most would likely find objectionable--though the avid golfers would snicker and cheer...

Why are "Free Shuttles" any different?

I'm sort of looking at my upcoming Marina cruise...I already have private tours set up in 5 of the 13 ports and am working on one or two others...in a few of the others, I may take shore excursions...I am really only planning on "doing my own thing" in Bilbao, Pont Aven, Barcelona and Honfleur...and was prepared to either just walk or take a taxi in those places...

So, I, for one, am really not all that excited about the prospects of "Free Shuttles"...I'd be better off if they used that portion of the cruise fare to send me a free bottle of wine...

We love the idea of included shuttles in ports of call and will consider that favorably when choosing cruise lines. Top shelf cruise lines often do include shuttles.

Several people have mentioned they "just walk to...", well, that's not very easy for a lot of people to do, and yet they may not wish to set up private excursions as you have done. Shuttles that come and go with some reliable frequency are a big benefit, in my opinion.

If the cruise line sets up shuttles in advance, they will most likely get a good discount on the price of the shuttles, the frequency and dependency of shuttles will likely be better for passengers, not to mention that because Oceania will have a contract in place for those shuttles, the shuttle companies may push (at their particular port of call) for Oceania—their customer—to get favorable treatment, and that certainly will benefit Oceania passengers.

Several people have mentioned they "just walk to...", well, that's not very easy for a lot of people to do, and yet they may not wish to set up private excursions as you have done. Shuttles that come and go with some reliable frequency are a big benefit, in my opinion.

Of course some people can't just walk...or don't want to...and don't want to book an expensive shore excursion or private tour...and THAT is why they have taxis...

If the cruise line sets up shuttles in advance, they will most likely get a good discount on the price of the shuttles, the frequency and dependency of shuttles will likely be better for passengers...

Probably so...obviously a much better price than individual taxis might cost...and they should pass that price along to that segment of the passengers that will use them...Of course, a "better price" on FREQUENT shuttles is not necessarily a certainty--your individual taxi is only committing to a single ride...but if there are 600 cruise passengers...and only a third of them are using the shuttles, it may be expensive to have those drivers waiting around all day to take those few people back and forth to the ship whenever they want...

...not to mention that because Oceania will have a contract in place for those shuttles, the shuttle companies may push (at their particular port of call) for Oceania—their customer—to get favorable treatment, and that certainly will benefit Oceania passengers.

I don't follow this logic at all...Because Oceania has hired a shuttle company somehow Oceania's passengers will get "favorable treatment"? From who??? Businesses in the ports of call are already happy that there's a cruise shjip in port...but, face it--to them, it's business...they've got 600 potential customers...doesn't matter if they got to the town center by shuttle, taxi, walking or free time on a tour...

...Top shelf cruise lines often do include shuttles...

And, again, like free booze, free shore excursions, free gratuities, NONE of them are "free"...Those cruise lines are merely blending those costs into an inflated price...and, likely charging far more than their actual cost...and they are charging everyone, whether you use them or not...

And, of course, many people like the feel and convenience of having no "extra charges"...and they don't mind that their cruise fare is way overinflated...so long as it's in one check and done...

Let me try another tack: How often, on any cruiseline, when there is a port somewhat distant from the pier, do you see a shore excursion offered entitled something like "Florence On Your Own" or "Amsterdam On Your Own" or something of that sort? We passed on that exact Amsterdam excursion when our ship docked in Rotterdam this summer, instead opting for our own small group private tour...Well, what that Amsterdam "excursion" was was, basically a "shuttle"--taking people from the ship to the center of Amsterdam, leaving them there for 5 hours of "free time" and picking them up back at the same location and taking them back to the ship...for $129 pp...Transportation is not necessarily cheap, even when the cruise line does it (our fully guided 12 hour private tour, BTW, cost us a mere 139 euros pp including all museum entrance fees, canal boat ride, etc.)...

But, aren't those shore excursions nothing more than a "shuttle"...and costly, no? So, why should a cruise line charge you when shuttleing you an hour away but give it to you free if it's 10 minutes away? Should they take you from Zeebrugge to Bruges for free (It's a 50 euro cab ride...We shared an 8 passenger taxi van for the 50 euro each way)?

Look, I know people like stuff they perceive as "free"...I understand where folks who don't buy shore excursions or pay for private tours love to get a free ride into town...but, hey, it is YOUR decision to do it that way...there are costs for everything...the cost of your "on your own" (And, believe it or not, I actually do some ports on my own myself) includes the cost of any entrance fees, food, transportation around the port area from site to site and, of course, transportation to and from the ship...Why should the cruise line (and the other passengers) subsidize any part of that touring day? Are you going to pay for any portion of MY private tour?

Disclaimer: Friends, I'm not trying to get anyone upset...just thought it was important for someone to interject a different viewpoint into this thread...I guess the need to do this comes from my 32+ years as an attorney...

I highly doubt that O will raise it's fares based solely on offering shuttles. For some folks no shuttles would be a deal breaker and it's one I will consider in the future for convenience sake. When I booked our first O cruise for this coming May I just assumed there would be shuttles offered at certain ports and was surprised when I read all the complaints about the lack of them especially when I knew that other cruise lines from Crystal down to Princess provided shuttles for their passengers. And, again, I do not necessarily infer that they be "free" and I doubt we are the only ones that consider no shuttle service in the realm of a deal breaker. Now that O will be providing them obviously they also have been thinking along those lines.

I highly doubt that O will raise it's fares based solely on offering shuttles...

You may not notice it...

But I can virtually guaranty they will...

It's how business works...

One does not arbitrarily set fares...

Nor does one arbitrarily add costs.

They are connected.

Someone in the accounting and finance side of the corporate hierarchy computes ALL of the costs of providing the "product"...then figures the profit margin they need to achieve...and then computes the prices from there...

I know this because I, myself, did this exact thing for a company in some "former life" (Before becoming an attorney, I was Assistant Vice President/Finance for a medium sized corporation--a manufacturer with four factories in two states making a variety of products...one of my first tasks when I took that job was to go through the process on an entire line of products--right down to timing the labor per each individual piece to factor in actual labor cost, computing the use of each material and adding in percentages of all overhead, etc. In the end, we knew EXACTLY what each item we made cost to produce, then we set the prices accordingly...adding an additional feature to any one item without accounting for it in the costs could be disasterous--or, at a minimum, skew the profitability)...

Oceania will not just arbitrarily say "People want shuttles--let's do it...and not worry about the cost"...Believe it or not, profit margins are not nearly as high as people think...No business survives if they just add costs without accounting for them on the income side...

What did we do before internet and cruise critic?. :confused: Many of us have traveled extensively either by plane and/or cruise ship. Until I joined cruise critic for my first Oceania cruise in 2007, I simply enjoyed the benefits and experience of a vacation. Grant you back in the day, we didn't have cell phones, internet access, etc, but I don't recall ever having a bad time with or without shuttles, alternate dining reservations, etc. As I recall we had a free shuttle in the one of the Amazon ports last year that believe it or not was shared with another cruise ship I think was Regent. Some walked, others taxi'd and/or took the Shuttle. I have always planned my excursions in advance like most to be picked and returned to the ship or decided to walk into town. Part of planning and budgeting a cruise does include taxi and laundry service. I agree with many of you that these extra amentities are not free and those perks that are included are included in the fares of the other ships. With my 29th cruise almost a year from now on the Marina in celebration of my 60th birthday, I guess I don't get too worked up about these things. I am just grateful I am healthy and financially able to cruise. :)

What did we do before internet and cruise critic?. :confused: Many of us have traveled extensively either by plane and/or cruise ship. Until I joined cruise critic for my first Oceania cruise in 2007, I simply enjoyed the benefits and experience of a vacation. Grant you back in the day, we didn't have cell phones, internet access, etc, but I don't recall ever having a bad time with or without shuttles, alternate dining reservations, etc...

Ahhhhhhhh...

When I started cruising, WAY before the internet and Cruise Critic and all, we called our travel agent and said "book us a cruise"...She picked the cabin (What did WE know, after all?) and told us the price...We don't even know who handled the flight arrangements, the TA or the cruise line...We just know that she sent us our confirmation and itinerary and cabin number and we showed up...

We didn't pre-reserve any tours or shore excursions (heck, I don't think you could pre-reserve shore excursions)...We got to the ship and the first day they announced that the shore excursion desk was open for business and we just got in line and signed up for shorexes...

No need to worry about specialty restaurants--there were none--or dining reservations...We were offered (by our TA back when we booked) late or early seating, were assigned a table at early seating and THAT was where we ate EVERY dinner on the cruise...

There were no entertainment choices...each dinner seating went to the showroom after dinner every night and saw the corresponding show...

There were no activity choices...no surfing and golf and rock climbing and ice skating like on the RCCL ships nowadays...They had a pool up top and you got there early and grabbed a deck chair...

The ONLY thing one needed to make a reservation for was my wife's hair appointment at the spa/salon for formal night...and you couldn't make that until you got to the ship either...

Basically, there was NO PLANNING...other than the initial booking and then packing the day or so before the cruise...

We booked it and then we just waited and looked forward to it...

Yeah, maybe we got a brochure...and opened it once in a while and stared at the photos and deck plans and daydreamed a bit...maybe, we went to the library or picked up a magazine article or two and did some general reading about the ports (So, why is it that we're going to Mazatlan? Ahhhh...who cares, it's tropical, it's not home and I don't have to work)...

So, fast forward and here we are entering 2011...

We have two cruises booked (so far)...

For our January cruise on RCCL Allure of the Seas, I have had to book tours or shore excursions for each port, pre-book all entertainment for different times each night in four different venues (ice, water, showroom and comedy club), consider reservations in at least half a dozen specialty restaurants...we carefully picked our cabin location and category from seemingly endless types and categories--different levels of suites--two level lofts, different sizes and locations... balconies--concierge, spa, ocean view, boardwalk view, park view, promenade view, non-balconies--ocean view promenade view, inside...back in the day, there were, basically TWO choices: Window or inside? We've thoroughly researched pre-cruise hotels and ground transportation options...

For our August Oceania Marina cruise, we've organized private group tours for several ports, researched others ad nauseum...we've e-mailed and considered multiple recommended tour guides in each...We'll have to analyze the itinerary and make eight specialty restaurant reservations in four different restaurants...We're still eight and a half months away and I think I've already done more work on this cruise than any class I took back in college...

Times sure have changed...Is it for the better? Who knows? Perhaps simpler was better...Maybe it would be nice, once again, to just book the cruise and show up...

I wonder what cruiselines had the FREE shuttles I have never been on a cruise with them

Orient lines did have hotel & transfers included in their fares but all other lines you made your own way or took a shorex

I agree with Bruin Steve again ...maybe the good old days were better ...where you just show up or maybe not ;)

You will never please everyone.

I wonder what cruiselines had the FREE shuttles I have never been on a cruise with them

Orient lines did have hotel & transfers included in their fares but all other lines you made your own way or took a shorex

I agree with Bruin Steve again ...maybe the good old days were better ...where you just show up or maybe not ;)

You will never please everyone.

Exactly the reason for my post, Lyn . No matter what is offered as a perk, there will always be someone who is not happy. There was never this malcontent in the "good old days" I believe we were in Santarem, Brazil. It was raining and Oceania passengers were offered a free shuttle into the town by the other cruiseline. The only problem was it was a religious holiday and all of the shops were closed but the carnival was fun and the old churches worth the visit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin Steve viewpost.gif

Ahhhhhhhh...

We'll have to analyze the itinerary and make eight specialty restaurant reservations in four different restaurants...

I hope you are cruising B2B :).

The owner's suites, vista suites and oceania suites get 8 total reservations.

Bruis Steve,

What an interesting post..I love it, I sometimes wonder why people want to know every little detail and have no surprises and no WOW's when they board..believe it or not I usually go the old fashioned way..I never prebook anything, let my daughter book my cabin and spend very little time looking at ports..The funniest of the whole thing, is ( Stu ) my husband never even knows where we are going, I tell him the itinerary, he says OK and thats it..I have never called O to get any info for myself on the new Marina dont look for any pictures and will be surprised when I get on..I havent looked up my cabin have no idea where it is and couldnt even give you the stateroom number..I guess I am from the old school. The only thing I have asked is who all of the head people will be so I know if I know them (I do)..

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful retrospect

Jancruz1

Ahhhhhhhh...

When I started cruising, WAY before the internet and Cruise Critic and all, we called our travel agent and said "book us a cruise"...She picked the cabin (What did WE know, after all?) and told us the price...We don't even know who handled the flight arrangements, the TA or the cruise line...We just know that she sent us our confirmation and itinerary and cabin number and we showed up...

We didn't pre-reserve any tours or shore excursions (heck, I don't think you could pre-reserve shore excursions)...We got to the ship and the first day they announced that the shore excursion desk was open for business and we just got in line and signed up for shorexes...

No need to worry about specialty restaurants--there were none--or dining reservations...We were offered (by our TA back when we booked) late or early seating, were assigned a table at early seating and THAT was where we ate EVERY dinner on the cruise...

There were no entertainment choices...each dinner seating went to the showroom after dinner every night and saw the corresponding show...

There were no activity choices...no surfing and golf and rock climbing and ice skating like on the RCCL ships nowadays...They had a pool up top and you got there early and grabbed a deck chair...

The ONLY thing one needed to make a reservation for was my wife's hair appointment at the spa/salon for formal night...and you couldn't make that until you got to the ship either...

Basically, there was NO PLANNING...other than the initial booking and then packing the day or so before the cruise...

We booked it and then we just waited and looked forward to it...

Yeah, maybe we got a brochure...and opened it once in a while and stared at the photos and deck plans and daydreamed a bit...maybe, we went to the library or picked up a magazine article or two and did some general reading about the ports (So, why is it that we're going to Mazatlan? Ahhhh...who cares, it's tropical, it's not home and I don't have to work)...

So, fast forward and here we are entering 2011...

We have two cruises booked (so far)...

For our January cruise on RCCL Allure of the Seas, I have had to book tours or shore excursions for each port, pre-book all entertainment for different times each night in four different venues (ice, water, showroom and comedy club), consider reservations in at least half a dozen specialty restaurants...we carefully picked our cabin location and category from seemingly endless types and categories--different levels of suites--two level lofts, different sizes and locations... balconies--concierge, spa, ocean view, boardwalk view, park view, promenade view, non-balconies--ocean view promenade view, inside...back in the day, there were, basically TWO choices: Window or inside? We've thoroughly researched pre-cruise hotels and ground transportation options...

For our August Oceania Marina cruise, we've organized private group tours for several ports, researched others ad nauseum...we've e-mailed and considered multiple recommended tour guides in each...We'll have to analyze the itinerary and make eight specialty restaurant reservations in four different restaurants...We're still eight and a half months away and I think I've already done more work on this cruise than any class I took back in college...

Times sure have changed...Is it for the better? Who knows? Perhaps simpler was better...Maybe it would be nice, once again, to just book the cruise and show up...

I havent looked up my cabin have no idea where it is and couldnt even give you the stateroom number..

Jancruz1

Jan,

I find this a little hard to take at face value. Unless you are cruising gratis (and you could be), surely you, of all people, would know what category you booked and were given the cabin number :confused:

LHT28,

The luxury lines like Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Crystal all provide free shuttles at ports.

I have not cruises the Luxury lines but I would think they are not really FREE but included in the fares

Just another choice in life ...pay now or pay later :D

Lyn

What did we do before internet and cruise critic?. :confused: Many of us have traveled extensively either by plane and/or cruise ship. Until I joined cruise critic for my first Oceania cruise in 2007, I simply enjoyed the benefits and experience of a vacation. Grant you back in the day, we didn't have cell phones, internet access, etc, but I don't recall ever having a bad time with or without shuttles, alternate dining reservations, etc. As I recall we had a free shuttle in the one of the Amazon ports last year that believe it or not was shared with another cruise ship I think was Regent. Some walked, others taxi'd and/or took the Shuttle. I have always planned my excursions in advance like most to be picked and returned to the ship or decided to walk into town. Part of planning and budgeting a cruise does include taxi and laundry service. I agree with many of you that these extra amentities are not free and those perks that are included are included in the fares of the other ships. With my 29th cruise almost a year from now on the Marina in celebration of my 60th birthday, I guess I don't get too worked up about these things. I am just grateful I am healthy and financially able to cruise. :)

I feel the same way!

Judy:D

It seems to me what is trying to be addressed is when the ship is docked at a pier that is a bit distant from the city centre, i.e., would take more than 30 minutes to get to by foot, and are otherwise "dead/industrial" areas.

Key examples are probably ports such as Dubrovnik (if it is not anchoring next to the Old Town), Corfu, Mallorca and Taormina.

Ports like Monaco, La Spezia, Naples, London (Thames, not Dover), Venice, Marseilles and Barcelona are basically in the city centre even though they may be a bit of a walk. I suppose they could be offered here as well but it would probably be faster just walking.

Distant and industrial ports such as Livorno and Civitavecchia are probably where it makes the most sense to get to mass public transportation, but really I wonder its use if a bus can hold only 40 or so passengers at any time and you have a ship of 600+ waiting for it. That's a lot of backlog and so then leads to how the first seats are allocated if they are all free.

Lottery system allocation is something that I don't really want to deal with while on vacation. By need is generally undemocratic given all passengers have paid a dear price to be on the ship and by cabin is a *further* casteing of the cabin system so that it may be effectively cheaper to book PHs than insides.

I see - this must be THE cruise :).

Enjoy Steve!

You got it, Paul...This is THAT cruise! We're REALLY looking forward to it!

It seems to me what is trying to be addressed is when the ship is docked at a pier that is a bit distant from the city centre, i.e., would take more than 30 minutes to get to by foot, and are otherwise "dead/industrial" areas.

Key examples are probably ports such as Dubrovnik (if it is not anchoring next to the Old Town), Corfu, Mallorca and Taormina.

Ports like Monaco, La Spezia, Naples, London (Thames, not Dover), Venice, Marseilles and Barcelona are basically in the city centre even though they may be a bit of a walk. I suppose they could be offered here as well but it would probably be faster just walking.

Distant and industrial ports such as Livorno and Civitavecchia are probably where it makes the most sense to get to mass public transportation, but really I wonder its use if a bus can hold only 40 or so passengers at any time and you have a ship of 600+ waiting for it. That's a lot of backlog and so then leads to how the first seats are allocated if they are all free.

Lottery system allocation is something that I don't really want to deal with while on vacation. By need is generally undemocratic given all passengers have paid a dear price to be on the ship and by cabin is a *further* casteing of the cabin system so that it may be effectively cheaper to book PHs than insides.

I think what you are missing is that you DON'T have 600 people waiting for the shuttle as soon as they get off...

Many people elect to purchase the shore excursions...and this is what Oceania probably prefers you do...Do this and you are PAYING for YOUR transportation directly from and back to the ship...

Many people organize private group tours or hire private guides...These folks will likely also be picked up and delivered back directly to the ship...

It is really only a minority of cruisers in any port, on the average, who choose to tour on their own (Of course, some ports more lend themselves to "On your own" than do others...For St. Petersburg, for example, you will find almost no one choosing "on your own" while for Mykonos, for example, there may be a much larger percentage on their own)...

Of course, the key here is that it is a CHOICE...Every choice has its ramifications...One of them is COST...

I hate to bring up the elephant in the room, but, a lot of folks who forgo tours or shore excursions are the ones looking to save on cost...and, to them, they, of course, want free shuttles...

For me, when I do a port on my own, I generally do it because I've been to the port several times before, already have seen the typical sites covered by organized tours and maybe just want to go hang out in my favorite spots...I've done this in Copenahgen and Stockholm and Corfu before...and I'll do it for certain in Barcelona on my upcoming cruise...

And, of course, if a free shuttle is offered, yeah, why not?

But, truthfully, cost is not a major concern of mine...I can easily afford to pay for a taxi or some other form of local transportation...If the cruise line wanted to provide, at a cost, a paid shuttle, I might just take that...

There is a major difference, in my mind, between the notion of a FREE shuttle and a shuttle offered at a fair price...I am willing to pay a fair price if it is something I need--and not to expect the passengers who have paid for tours and shore excursions to subsidize me--even if for some of you that payment is hidden well enough that you really don't think the customers pay for it...

I have found very few ports where one could NOT get taxis or other transportation if they wished...Actually NONE...You can always hire a driver...Sure, tougher in some ports--if the size or number of ships coming into port is large and the taxi pool somewhat small, it really helps to pre-arrange a driver (We've encountered this in Bruges and in Athens--but, both times, we had arranged for our taxi)...But, face it, sooner or later, you will get into town--Taxi drivers aren't fools...If 600 people without cars are getting off a ship somewhere and need a taxi into town, they will go pick them up...

Sure a very high priced luxury line might provide free shuttles everywhere...heck, Regent is now advertising free excursions everywhere--no need for a shuttle at all! Of course, as we've determined on another thread, it is blended into the price...with maybe $3,000 more to spare....

"All-inclusive" does not mean "free"...It just means you are paying for it as part of the package...Nothing is free...

Please don't assume that those of us who like the idea of a shuttle can't afford a taxi and are looking to cut costs. No where in my replies have I suggested that I want "free" shuttles. I am more than willing to pay my fair share of the cost to a mass transportation site. I also think that using a shuttle is an efficient way to move numbers of people from a port to another transportation hub. On Artistic Sojourns we found ports where the availability

of taxis was severely limited; fortunately it was the reunion cruise and shuttles were offered. Some people cruise simply for the pleasure of being on water, others for dining or the spa or to "get away" with a loved one. Then there are those of us who cruise to be able to see what we've yearned our whole lives to see and I'll pay whatever it takes for a shuttle, taxi, bus, or shorex.

Why all this agitation about free shuttles now? Wasn't Oceania responding, at least in part, to earlier posts specifically requesting them? Damned if you do, damned if you don't ....

I think whether you want, don't want or are indifferent to "free" shuttles, they're here to stay. There's a competitive reality that Oceania recognizes, given that Azamara now offers "free" shuttles & some mainstream cruiselines (HAL) also offer "free" shuttles in distant ports. I think "free" shuttles are slowly creeping into the core product of premium cruiselines.

Archived