If I check my nail clippers how do I cut my zip ties?

scrapmamma

Zip ties will just be cut off by TSA agents anway (or worse, by crooks during luggage handling). Crooks only have a few seconds to evaluate which bags to break into. They know that the ones with locs and/or ties are the ones most likely to have valuable loot. Most items stolen from luggage are taken from locked/tied luggage.

The lesson here is to NEVER put valuables in your checked luggage. Keep them with you at all times. Do Not lock your luggage as this is a sign that there are valuables in there. The crooks have no interest in your underwear....just in jewelry, watches, cameras or other valuables that are easily sold. Do NOT put these items in your checked luggage....and if you do, do not advertise the fact that you have valuables inside by putting locks on them.

Zip ties will just be cut off by TSA agents anway (or worse, by crooks during luggage handling). Crooks only have a few seconds to evaluate which bags to break into. They know that the ones with locs and/or ties are the ones most likely to have valuable loot. Most items stolen from luggage are taken from locked/tied luggage.

The lesson here is to NEVER put valuables in your checked luggage. Keep them with you at all times. Do Not lock your luggage as this is a sign that there are valuables in there. The crooks have no interest in your underwear....just in jewelry, watches, cameras or other valuables that are easily sold. Do NOT put these items in your checked luggage....and if you do, do not advertise the fact that you have valuables inside by putting locks on them.

Watched at program on 20/20 how they can break into a suitcase without tampering with locks, cutting ties, etc. Also suitcases have the double zipper - they take a pencil and push it through the zipper (usually nylon) splitting the zipper - take what they want and just rezipper using the two tabs locked together. There is no sure fire way - other than what you say - put ALL valubales into your carryon.

Watched at program on 20/20 how they can break into a suitcase without tampering with locks, cutting ties, etc. Also suitcases have the double zipper - they take a pencil and push it through the zipper (usually nylon) splitting the zipper - take what they want and just rezipper using the two tabs locked together. There is no sure fire way - other than what you say - put ALL valubales into your carryon.

Exactly! It takes seconds to break into luggage, with or without ties or locks. Crooks only have a few seconds to decide which bags to break into, and the locks/ties are a sure sign that there's valuable loot for them.

Travel experts recommend keeping all valuables with you at all times, and not locking luggage....they know that making a target of your luggage is not a smart idea.

Exactly, just don't ever pack valuables in your suitcase. Ours was taken at Dulles Airport by someone else. It was an honest mistake, and we did eventually get it back, but it was MIA for hours. And if someone less honest had gone through it...

Most expensive thing in there was my makeup bag :D

This is not always the case. I lock mine with ties only to secure them from opening..

I sometimes put a lock on just to keep the zipper from opening...But I have also used twist ties for that, like from a loaf of bread...EM

Now THAT's a good idea...I have a heck of a time opening those suckers. Hmmm....but two or three all twisting the opposite way..they'll spend all day trying to open the twist ties.

Melanie

As much as possible leave your valuables at home. Fine jewelry? You don't need it on a cruise. They even make "travel pearls" just for the purpose. Not that I would want to lose my suitcase but there is never anything in it that has financial or sentimental significant value.

I was reading about where to pack the nail clippers and they recommended placing them in the checked luggage. I was going to put it in my carryon.

I don't want them taken away cause I need them to clip my ties. LOL

Where should I pack them?

Not sure where you read the no clippers. They won't take them away.

Don't know why you would carry them on. I normally just keep mine in the outside pocket of my luggage so they will always be where I need them.

I was reading about where to pack the nail clippers and they recommended placing them in the checked luggage. I was going to put it in my carryon.

I don't want them taken away cause I need them to clip my ties. LOL

Where should I pack them?

Lighter, or teeth. Consult dentist.

Archived