SS Macallan Drinkers Unite!

Observer

Are there other single malt scotch drinkers out there who would like to see Macallan 12 Year Old Scotch a free pour on Silversea, as I am fairly certain it is on Regent and Seabourn?

Free pour single malts on a recent cruise included Glenmorangie ($35/fifth on a reliable website), Glenfiddich 12 ($30) and Glenlivet ($28). On that same site, Macallan 12 is $46/fifth.

Okay, $46 is more than $35. But does that justify a premium charge of $10/glass?

What is even more puzzling: Johnnie Walker Blue is only $18/glass on the premium list on Silversea. However, a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue is $170/fifth. By my calculation, and comparing the retail store prices, a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue should be around four times the cost of a glass of Macallan (or $40) -- or, more reasonably, the premium for Macallan should be around a quarter of the premium for Johnnie Walker Blue (or $4.50/glass).

I really hope that SS will make Macallan 12 a free pour. If not, please reduce the $10/glass premium. It's really unjustified.

Can I begin a campaign along the lines of the campaign regarding the automatic charity charge? (I hope this campaign will be more successful!)

I, too, would like to see the Macallan as a free pour on Silversea. I have asked to have it stocked in my onboard suite for several years. I succeeded once, on the Silver Spirit maiden crossing last January. It was supplied with no problem. Then, on a later cruise on the same ship in August, I was told it was no longer available. Someone told me that a Macallan owner had been aboard in January and possibly a special arrangement had been made because of that. I don't know whether it's true.

Anyway, it would certainly be great to have Macallan and others in addition to the same old three Glens which have always been the free single malts.

Absolutely agree! My husband and I tried to order Macallan 12 Year Old Scotch for our cabin last August and were told that it was not among the included offerings. Our vague recollection is that we were able to get it for the cabin on earlier cruises. In any event, we were quite unhappy and disappointed. Not a good way to start off a cruise. These are the kind of things that either sets Silversea apart as a true luxury line or not. When paying Silversea prices this kind of thing should be included. Otherwise they are making it less justifiable to cruise this line as opposed to ones that are less costly.

This past July on the Cloud there was a single bottle of Macallan 12 at one bar. It wasn't out, but when I asked the Bar Tender if they had any he brought it out...as a free pour. He said it was their last bottle and that SS had stopped stocking Macallan altogether. Since it was a 15 day cruise along the Norwegian coast I felt obliged to kill the bottle:D

Greg

I was a bit annoyed in April on the Cloud when I asked for a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin for the cabin and was told it was unavailable. They brought Tanqueray instead. Then I saw Bombay Sapphire in some of the bars!

I was a bit annoyed in April on the Cloud when I asked for a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin for the cabin and was told it was unavailable. They brought Tanqueray instead. Then I saw Bombay Sapphire in some of the bars!

Sometimes you just have to ask again, politely. If they have it on board they will give it to you, but sometimes they have to look twice to find it =) Also, of course, they prefer to buy wholesale, which means at least one case, so a decision has to be made whether to buy an entire case of something to please one passenger. Macallan 12? Obvioulsy a no brianer; some other spirits I have seen here (very obscure Tennessee whiskeys, for example) less obvious.

Are there other single malt scotch drinkers out there who would like to see Macallan 12 Year Old Scotch a free pour on Silversea, as I am fairly certain it is on Regent and Seabourn?

Free pour single malts on a recent cruise included Glenmorangie ($35/fifth on a reliable website), Glenfiddich 12 ($30) and Glenlivet ($28). On that same site, Macallan 12 is $46/fifth.

Okay, $46 is more than $35. But does that justify a premium charge of $10/glass?

What is even more puzzling: Johnnie Walker Blue is only $18/glass on the premium list on Silversea. However, a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue is $170/fifth. By my calculation, and comparing the retail store prices, a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue should be around four times the cost of a glass of Macallan (or $40) -- or, more reasonably, the premium for Macallan should be around a quarter of the premium for Johnnie Walker Blue (or $4.50/glass).

I really hope that SS will make Macallan 12 a free pour. If not, please reduce the $10/glass premium. It's really unjustified.

Can I begin a campaign along the lines of the campaign regarding the automatic charity charge? (I hope this campaign will be more successful!)

with all due respect; this is nitpicking gone wild ! Silversea is not a non profit organization .If you cannot enjoy a single malt provided on board and by the way all you can consume , than perhaps you should consider one that will accommadate you ;p.s. there isn't any !:eek:

Absolutely agree! My husband and I tried to order Macallan 12 Year Old Scotch for our cabin last August and were told that it was not among the included offerings. Our vague recollection is that we were able to get it for the cabin on earlier cruises. In any event, we were quite unhappy and disappointed. Not a good way to start off a cruise. These are the kind of things that either sets Silversea apart as a true luxury line or not. When paying Silversea prices this kind of thing should be included. Otherwise they are making it less justifiable to cruise this line as opposed to ones that are less costly.

No Macallan 12 available? That ruins it for me. Celebrity here I come! =) JK

Rally, you be lying...

Not so! I mean really! I like a blended scotch called Old Pig Nose . . . nad Silversea doesn't even offer it!! Imagine!!! And what about Black Sambuca? Hmmmmmmmmm???? Why, they don't even have the stuff my grandfather used to make out behind the barn in Kentucky! And they call themselves 5 Stars? Harumph!

Please note that I never said that Macallan 12 was not available on Silversea. It is listed among the premium offerings, at $10/pour.

The fact that Johnnie Walker Blue was priced at only 80% more than Macallan 12 suggests to me that Silversea management has miscalculated the cost of the Macallan -- or has somehow been able to get a great deal on the Johnnie Walker.

I was disappointed not to be able to have Macallan 12yo on our September Spirit cruise.

Quite surprising as we can (usually) buy a litre of 12yo in our very small town off-licence for £24.99 - about $40 but remember that is for a litre not the usual 70cl.

Had to make do with Glenlivet - not in the same league IMHO

No Macallan 12 available? That ruins it for me. Celebrity here I come! =) JK

Forget Celebrity, try Seabourn. Macallan " freely" available ( ie at no supplement). At least on my last two cruises.

Anyone know if the Macallan 30 year old is available on Silversea( for an extra charge)? I haven't been fortunate ( or rich enough!) to try the 30 year old yet; but I am told that it has an epic aftertaste and is "Deep, dark and dangerous". It retails in the UK for ~ £350 ( $ 500 US?). Must try it. :)

You should be thankful for any choice on Silversea - on Seadream the ONLY included single malt is the not very exciting Glenfiddich, and the only cognac Martell ! I have to say that in our experience so far SS, Regent and Seabourn all have a reasonable choice, but Seabourn has the best choice, though not as many as a couple of years ago.

You should be thankful for any choice on Silversea - on Seadream the ONLY included single malt is the not very exciting Glenfiddich, and the only cognac Martell ! I have to say that in our experience so far SS, Regent and Seabourn all have a reasonable choice, but Seabourn has the best choice, though not as many as a couple of years ago.

I'm not a Scotch guy, but here's my visual sample below of what they had on the Silver Cloud in early July for our cruise. These were the "no added cost" items. It's not everything that everybody might want. BUT, I view it as a pretty good selection and variety at zero added cost.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 24,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From “The Bar”, here is what it showed for the main area with various Scotch selections and other options for drinks in this area. If you wanted added options, I understand there is more available. There are also nice bar areas in the Panorama Lounge and on the Pool Deck. The secret is asking. The bar staff was very good and helpful.:

CloudBarSelections.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Forget Celebrity, try Seabourn. Macallan " freely" available ( ie at no supplement). At least on my last two cruises.

Anyone know if the Macallan 30 year old is available on Silversea( for an extra charge)? I haven't been fortunate ( or rich enough!) to try the 30 year old yet; but I am told that it has an epic aftertaste and is "Deep, dark and dangerous". It retails in the UK for ~ £350 ( $ 500 US?). Must try it. :)

Yes, Mac as a free pour on Seabourn is NOT Macallan 12 as is being discussed. It is a single malt of unstated age and of much lower quality.

So be happy to drink all you want, but it is near the (quality) bottom of single malt offerings onboard.

We've just requested it for our upcoming cruise and are hoping for a positive answer. It's always uncertain - sometimes a "yes" and others a "no". Seabourn is more generous - you can also still get complimentary caviar on Seabourn whenever you want it.

• 1 month later...

sigh. (cheapest ive seen is $15 for macallan 18 ($150) and $50 for macallan 25 ($500))

i hope silversea is at least better than regent, which someone posted, and was ridiculous. silversea hasnt been posted has it?

back in 2006 on seabourn they had louis xiii for $37.50 ($2000)

MARIANH, havent had 30 yet. 18 is great value, but 25 is definitely worth it. stronger initially, more complex, lasts forever.

oregon50, AFAIK cheapest macallan is 10 year old...

Same thing happened to us on the Shadow in October - we asked for Plymouth gin in our suite and they said no but it was available in the bar.

Archived