Are you as mad as me about the price gouging?

jandjfun

No, I am not as mad as you. I think prices are a result of supply and demand. You take one huge ship out of circulation and supply goes down and with demand the same, prices rise. It is a natural law of economics.

You try and reason about "fair" but the markets do not understand that concept at all.

I know how disappointing it is to miss a cruise you have been planning on. In our case it was due to DGM passing away the night before our cruise and we ended up driving back home after traveling 14 hours to get to NY for our cruise. Not the same as your situation, but the disappointment of missing a cruise was still there.

If I were in your shoes, and I had tickets to California and the time off from work, I would start planning a California land vacation. DH and I love traveling West for land vacations. If money were an issue, I would ask for a refund of my cruise (saving my 25% off for a later time), use my credit card for the California trip and pay it off when I got my refund from Carnival. There is so much to see and do in California. To name a few...Disneyland, San Diego Zoo, Hollywood, Pacific Coast Highway, Death Valley, Las Vegas (only a few hours away). I could fill a week easily and while disappointed it wasn't the trip we were planning, we would still have a great time. I would then wait for things to calm down and re-plan a cruise with my 25% discount for our next vacation. If you are willing to look into alternatives to cruising, especially if you are stuck on that specific time span, you may be surprised at what you can come up with.

We ended up taking our insurance and re-booking a cruise for next week. While it is not the Canada cruise we were looking forward to on the Glory last July, we are excited to be leaving the cold of Michigan for the tropic heat of Cozumel next week. We'll try the Canada cruise again next year. Things happen all the time to change our plans. It makes life a whole less stressful if you are able to go with the flow, look for alternatives, and make some lemonade out the lemons life gives you.

You are never going to get the same cruise for the same price you paid before for a cruise at this time of year. Its over, this time of year prices are always up. From Thanksgiven thru New Year the prices are always up for everything. Jan 3 thru Feb there are some good prices, there have always been good prices for that time of year. Some of you really just want a free cruise today, not going to happen, get over it. The cruise Gods caused a fire on a ship, thats life.

Carnival was exceptional in the way they handled the situation.

Kudos to Carnival for exceptional fairness and super customer service.

*****? Which thread are YOU reading? Carnival has done nothing but pad their bottom line at the expense of a bunch of fine folk's vacations.

You are never going to get the same cruise for the same price you paid before for a cruise at this time of year. Its over, this time of year prices are always up. From Thanksgiven thru New Year the prices are always up for everything. Jan 3 thru Feb there are some good prices, there have always been good prices for that time of year. Some of you really just want a free cruise today, not going to happen, get over it. The cruise Gods caused a fire on a ship, thats life.

Not on the East coast. Prices for CCL cruises are as low as I have seen them in years from now through the end of the year. If one is fortunate enough to book using military or interline rates they are unbelievably low

Supply and demand. As demand goes up, rates go up, that's business. Rates in general will be high, even here in Florida where we are blessed with so many nearby ports. Holiday season brings out the cruisers and their families, result is demand. A $199 short cruise now will be double or more during the upcoming season. Same for school break times. As much as I'd like to cruise whenever I choose, I see the business aspect. If you had an item for sale and 5 people wanted it, wouldn't you sell it to the highest bidder? Or would you keep it at a discount rate just to be nice? It's not just this cruiseline that does it, they all do it!!

*****? Which thread are YOU reading? Carnival has done nothing but pad their bottom line at the expense of a bunch of fine folk's vacations.

Well now everything is crystal clear.....*****:confused: world transfer fund...no... want tuna fish....no. I give up. But in any case I am glad you have remained open minded on the situation.

I just started another thread but this is what I posted, it looks like the price gouging may have come to an end:

Howdy,

So...having a splendor cruise booked next May I of course have been reading, as time permits, all that I can about the "event" and the related problems everyone has been suffering as a result. I checked on prices for my cruise just a couple of days ago and the price for our cabins (connecting OV cabins on Main Deck, Cat 6C) had jumped to well over $200 per person.

Now I just checked again, and the price is back down to the Pre-Fire pricing. I also double checked on a paradise cruise the wife and I were thinking about going on in January and it is also down as well.

Do you think Carnival got the message that giving people whose cruise was cancelled a %25 discount on a Future Cruise then raising prices by %20 - %25 might not have been the best PR move?

Everyone else see that as well?

I don't even know what to say.. Go Carnival cheerleaders..BS! I am cruising the end of December on the Paradise, been booked for almost a year. I have been price watching all the cruises in Dec. To see how they were selling due to the economy. This will be my 5th New Years cruise. I also have watched all the threads, the news and Port Cams being vastly interested in the Splendor since I'm booked on her later next year.

I can tell you for a fact that prices on ALL the cruises out of San Diego and the Paradise out of LA jumped dramatically the morning of the announcement. Before the emails had even gone out. I read about it early and went and looked at the cruises because I knew they would start filling up.

These are taken from emails I sent to a friend~

1.) Oh our crusie has sky rocketed. I paid $917 when I first booked them add the $30 for the upgrade so $947 for an inside midship/upper deck. There are no inside mids left today. A forward is $1351. The cabins we have now are going for $1505 for 2 today!!

2.)this is what they are asking for the insides on the spirit for 12/26. They are INSANE!!

8 Day to Mexican Riviera

Total Price: $3,424.44

Departing from: San Diego, CA

Sailing Date: 12/26/2010

I have no vested interest in the issue. But I have to agree with J&J on this one~ Those prises were raised in anticipation of the on slought of people who were going to have to re-book. Prices had not changed at all in days previous and I was infact offered and upgrade for $30 so they could try and fill the ship. Carnival absolutely took advantage of the situation.

The 25% discount was to compensate people for the inconvenience. Seems to me that even if they leave on the same day there has been a fair amount of inconvenience not knowing what was happening and having to rebook, etc. Hiking the prices up 25% negates the discount and thus any compensation and thus loses the company the goodwill that this compensation was supposed to engender.

Exactly Right!

OK, I have spent two days trying to find something else to do. You give it a try.

We have no money because Carnvial has it. Our vacation starts on Nov. 28th and is over on Dec. 5.

We can transfer the cruise money to another cruise. So you have 840.00 to find us a cruise. You have an airline ticket to Long beach CA.

Go for it!

HAHAHA....! I bet you don't have any takers on that!

I don't even know what to say.. Go Carnival cheerleaders..BS! I am cruising the end of December on the Paradise, been booked for almost a year. I have been price watching all the cruises in Dec. To see how they were selling due to the economy. This will be my 5th New Years cruise. I also have watched all the threads, the news and Port Cams being vastly interested in the Splendor since I'm booked on her later next year.

I can tell you for a fact that prices on ALL the cruises out of San Diego and the Paradise out of LA jumped dramatically the morning of the announcement. Before the emails had even gone out. I read about it early and went and looked at the cruises because I knew they would start filling up.

These are taken from emails I sent to a friend~

1.) Oh our crusie has sky rocketed. I paid $917 when I first booked them add the $30 for the upgrade so $947 for an inside midship/upper deck. There are no inside mids left today. A forward is $1351. The cabins we have now are going for $1505 for 2 today!!

2.)this is what they are asking for the insides on the spirit for 12/26. They are INSANE!!

8 Day to Mexican Riviera

Total Price: $3,424.44

Departing from: San Diego, CA

Sailing Date: 12/26/2010

I have no vested interest in the issue. But I have to agree with J&J on this one~ Those prises were raised in anticipation of the on slought of people who were going to have to re-book. Prices had not changed at all in days previous and I was infact offered and upgrade for $30 so they could try and fill the ship. Carnival absolutely took advantage of the situation.

SO let me see if I get it. 3424.44 they are only insane if someone pays that price. If no one does, guess what happens.....just as everyone has said, it is pure supply and demand.

SO let me see if I get it. 3424.44 they are only insane if someone pays that price. If no one does, guess what happens.....just as everyone has said, it is pure supply and demand.

Once the bront of the rush is over those prices will drop back down.

Thank you. And I am not just speaking for myself when I post about this. I am speaking for all those that I have read in the last three days. Some have it harder than others, but we all got gouged! Well, those that rebooked at the higher prices anyway.

I hope you are talking to someone who can help and not just us. Iv been there, having a different opinion than those on CC because they were not in my shoes.

I hope you are still looking and talking about options and dont just give up. Go somewhere and have fun.

Supply and demand...I am so sick and tired of hearing this. These folks had their cruise cancelled with very little notice, why would it be so difficult for a major corporation like Carnival to allow them to book their cruise at the same rate they already had and for NEW bookings, charge them the higher rate?

To the OP, on another thread you mentioned that you had made an attempt to cancel from the Splendor but they told you you'd lose all your money, that's before the official cancellation.

If you had gone ahead and done this, do you think they could have really kept your money for a cruise that they ultimately cancelled anyways?

Archived