E-documents--Necessary?

adrift@sea

Several weeks ago, while checking in at Port Everglades, I asked (yet again) why HAL tells you to print out your documents when, in fact, no one ever looks at them. The staff person checking us in told us that a few weeks prior to our cruise, all of the computers were down which resulted in chaos; however, those passengers that were able to present the first page of their e-documents were able to be checked in far more quickly.

We have always printed and brought the first page of the e-documents with us but now know for that rare occasion when there are computer problems, we will be prepared.

Several weeks ago, while checking in at Port Everglades, I asked (yet again) why HAL tells you to print out your documents when, in fact, no one ever looks at them. The staff person checking us in told us that a few weeks prior to our cruise, all of the computers were down which resulted in chaos; however, those passengers that were able to present the first page of their e-documents were able to be checked in far more quickly.

We have always printed and brought the first page of the e-documents with us but now know for that rare occasion when there are computer problems, we will be prepared.

How were document holders checked in if the computers were down?:confused:

The boarding computers at Civitavecchia were once down for a while. There was a wait in line until they came up, but no chaos.

I have told this story before but maybe it needs repeating so people will not leave their electronic docs at home. Two days into our Eurodam Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise last fall, we disappeared from the system and did not exist. Our first inkling occured when we met our friends in the Ocean Bar for drinks prior to dinner and they told us they had tried to phone us but had been told we were not on the ship. As we were still laughing about that, the waiter told my husband that our card did not work and the front desk wanted to see one of us right away.

I went down and was informed that their records showed our cabin as unoccupied and that we were not on the ship. In fact we were not in their system anywhere. I had to go to the cabin and retrieve our passports, and boarding docs. We then had to be reprocessed and photographed.

I had visions of being put off in the next port.

After that experience I would not consider leaving the boarding pass at home. I hate to think what would have happened if we had had nothing to show on that occasion.

If you have your seapass card you had to have some kind of documentation to get on the ship. Recently I did not have my seapass printed for RCI. I had to go over to a desk that had my name on the list and then they let me up to check in. It must have fallen out at the airport when I was taking my passport and record locator to do kiosk check in and when I got to the ship I didn't have it.

The bottom line is, it takes so little time and effort to bring it, and if it can prevent mix-ups later on, why not?

If I had to bring a ream of papers, I might balk, but heck... one lousy sheet?

Absolutely! Even if it were a ream of paper, other than the weight, it's a small investment to make sure you get on the ship. A double Bombay Sapphire martini in the Crow's Nest is more than a full ream of paper. ;):D

On my recent cruise out of Seattle back in September, we were both asked for our boarding ticket, which is the first page of the e-docs. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to carry 1 extra piece of paper. I always carry airline and hotel confirmations and travel insurance information, so I just put the e-boarding pass for the ship in the same folder.

Roz

The bottom line is, it takes so little time and effort to bring it, and if it can prevent mix-ups later on, why not?

If I had to bring a ream of papers, I might balk, but heck... one lousy sheet?

Agree. I feel guilty at times about printing all of my confirmations but it has saved me once at a hotel check in as I was caught in the middle of a rate mix-up between the local hotel and the hotel chain's central reservation desk which was luckily resolved once I produced my printed confirmation.

How were document holders checked in if the computers were down?:confused:

The boarding computers at Civitavecchia were once down for a while. There was a wait in line until they came up, but no chaos.

I don't know how people were checked in with the computers down--I did not ask; however, we will be boarding Westerdam (in Port Everglades) in a few weeks time and I will see if I can clarify.

Chaos was her word--not mine.

On my recent cruise out of Seattle back in September, we were both asked for our boarding ticket, which is the first page of the e-docs. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to carry 1 extra piece of paper. I always carry airline and hotel confirmations and travel insurance information, so I just put the e-boarding pass for the ship in the same folder.

Roz

I was also asked for the boarding pass in Oct. for the Ryndam. I agree, it's not a big deal to take these things. I got a rather nasty response on this board when I said I take copies of everything. I was told you don't need it. Better to be safe then sorry.

... and, on a related note...

I always print out the confirmations for services, too.

We will be bringing the acknowledgment that the Pinnacle and Tamarind have been prepaid, the lido cabana has been prepaid, and the culinary lesson has been prepaid....

I have no desire to argue the points later on if any reservations for anything happen to slip through the cracks..... which I have seen happen....

I was also asked for the boarding pass in Oct. for the Ryndam. I agree, it's not a big deal to take these things. I got a rather nasty response on this board when I said I take copies of everything. I was told you don't need it. Better to be safe then sorry.

I take copies of all reservation confirmations: cruise, hotel, car, excursions etc. There have been times that they saved the day. Since I have access to those electronic documents on my iphone I wonder if that woudl be sufficient evidence. :)

We flew Continental to Hawaii a few weeks ago and the online check-in process indicated you could use your smartphone as a boarding pass, no need to print it. But when we checked our bags at the airport they printed out boarding passes anyway. :rolleyes:

I have a 12 pocket expandable folder that gets filled with all the paperwork. Airfare, hotel, tours, maps, cruise docs etc for any trip I take.

On my land trip to Holland/Belgium/Luxembourg, my friend couldn't find her air ticket for return (before e-tickets). I had mine, but that was no help at the airport. The rep started checking the system for her, but couldn't locate the ticket either. I pulled out my folder and found the original invoice for the two tickets. He was able to use that number to find her, thereby only charging her $150 for a duplicate ticket, versus $650 for a whole new ticket. He told her to thank her travelling partner, as my having that original invoice saved her a bundle.

Since that time, I don't find it silly or overly cautious to carry all the documentation. As each day goes by, I throw away the paper trail from that day, but the future days remains with me in that folder. It usually weighs about 5 lbs when I start out on the trip, but dwindles to 1 lb by trip end. I have done this for the last 15 years and will continue to do so.

I bring copies of everything using my handy-dandy HAL folder - this trip we're using the leatherette vs fabric ones!

I trifold all paperwork, place it in the folder in the order needed - airline tickets, car service, hotel, dinner reservation, HAL check-in, shore excursions, PG reservations, etc. As I use each, I gets moved to the back of the pile so the next document needed is in front. Can you tell I'm a type-a person? However, it keeps everything organized, immediately accessible and stress free - my mantra!

Doug

I am the official "document holder" in my family unit. My mother did it for our household growing up.

Since I just took the upsell the other day and now have a new invoice with our new cabin number I printed those out and put the old ones in the recycling bin! I have our hotel info in there, the place we are going to park our car for the week super cheap in Ft. Lauderdale because I have their online coupon printed out, our confirmation for the clamshell, our insurance stuff, and I will eventually print our e-docs when it is closer to the cruise. Everything fits nicely into a folder that I then slip into the front of my rolling carryon suitcase.

I also hold all passports and hand them to the staff member in customs/pre-boarding. My husband and 6 year old stand behind me. They are only responsible for their own carryon luggage!! And guess who packed most of that? ;)

I think on most lines, including HAL, we print out either one or two pages for both of us. Thats it. This is certainly an improvement over what we used to get and discard promptly. We never print out the cabin charge credit card details as all the cruise lines seem to want to physically take the card and prepare a new page.

I have told this story before but maybe it needs repeating so people will not leave their electronic docs at home. Two days into our Eurodam Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise last fall, we disappeared from the system and did not exist. Our first inkling occured when we met our friends in the Ocean Bar for drinks prior to dinner and they told us they had tried to phone us but had been told we were not on the ship. As we were still laughing about that, the waiter told my husband that our card did not work and the front desk wanted to see one of us right away.

I went down and was informed that their records showed our cabin as unoccupied and that we were not on the ship. In fact we were not in their system anywhere. I had to go to the cabin and retrieve our passports, and boarding docs. We then had to be reprocessed and photographed.

After that experience I would not consider leaving the boarding pass at home. I hate to think what would have happened if we had had nothing to show on that occasion.

Sounds like how the new TV show "The Event" started.

Did you show the nice folks at the Front Desk your little Sign & Sail card and ask them how you got on the ship?

:cool:

I'm a non-printer: I just keep my TA on speed-dial.

;)

I went down and was informed that their records showed our cabin as unoccupied and that we were not on the ship. In fact we were not in their system anywhere. I had to go to the cabin and retrieve our passports, and boarding docs.

Wow!

That's pretty weird! :eek:

But if you weren't on board, how did you manage to get into your cabin?

It would seem that if the cabin was classified as "empty", the keycard should have been inoperable.

An interesting (and frightening) example of keeping all the paperwork handy.

Did you show the nice folks at the Front Desk your little Sign & Sail card and ask them how you got on the ship?

:cool:

I'm a non-printer: I just keep my TA on speed-dial.

;)

Oh yes---they were taken and new ones were issued.

Archived