Booking Sanctuary and Chef's Table on Alaskan Cruise

krusinkuple

I am hoping someone will know the answer to this. I have read that Sanctuary passes and Chef's Table reservations often sell out by 1 or 2pm and should be booked as soon as you get on the ship. However, my DH and I will be on the Precruisetour that isn't even scheduled to arrive at the ship (Diamond) until 5pm....does this mean our chances of securing either of these are slim to none?

I can't imagine there's much demand for cruise-long reservations at the Sanctuary in Alaska. Brrr. I wouldn't even give it a second thought!

For the Chef's Table, it's really hard to tell in advance how popular it will be in any given sailing. And sometimes they'll have more than one. I wouldn't give up on it entirely; just see someone about it or call the DINE line as soon as you get onboard and explain how much you wanted to do this and how you were on the tour and so unable to get aboard any sooner (you know, make them feel sorry for you!). Or, if you know someone else on the same sailing and they're boarding early, you could ask them to call on your behalf.

Good luck!

I was disappointed in the Chefs table myself on the Sapphire last Feb. For all the hoops you had to jump through it just wasn't worth it. There were others stating the same about that about that ship during the same time frame so maybe it was an off time. Whenever anyone describes it on here I think to myself...mine wasn't like that. I'd much rather go to Sabatini's.

I was disappointed in the Chefs table myself on the Sapphire last Feb. For all the hoops you had to jump through it just wasn't worth it. There were others stating the same about that about that ship during the same time frame so maybe it was an off time. Whenever anyone describes it on here I think to myself...mine wasn't like that. I'd much rather go to Sabatini's.

I was curious, what were the issues with your Chef's Table experience? Yours is the first negative post I've ever read about the CT.

Bob

Good information..thanks. Regarding the Sanctuary - we have never sailed on Princess before & have only seen pictures...looks like it's a covered area so I thought it might have a heated pool...no worries!:)

For the CT, we are celebrating DH's birthday during the cruise so I was looking to do something a little special one night for dinner. I have always read good things about the CT too....We had dinner in one of Carnival's steakhouses and were not impressed at all, yet tried one on HAL and loved it---is that simply due to the differences between the two lines? Soooo maybe we have that as an option as well.

Good information..thanks. Regarding the Sanctuary - we have never sailed on Princess before & have only seen pictures...looks like it's a covered area so I thought it might have a heated pool...no worries!:)

For the CT, we are celebrating DH's birthday during the cruise so I was looking to do something a little special one night for dinner. I have always read good things about the CT too....We had dinner in one of Carnival's steakhouses and were not impressed at all, yet tried one on HAL and loved it---is that simply due to the differences between the two lines? Soooo maybe we have that as an option as well.

Definitely skip the Santuary in Alaska, you'll need a parka ;) Highly recommend the Chef's Table. We phoned the dining line right when they opened and got in but you never know how many people will be interested, they may add more than one.

I was curious, what were the issues with your Chef's Table experience? Yours is the first negative post I've ever read about the CT.

Bob

Here is the thread where others discussed the experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142620&highlight=chef+table+the+sapphire

I wouldn't say I had issues....it just wasn't worth the money. It took 3 phone calls/meetings to get myself booked into it. I've had less interaction to get jobs that I have had. There was no seafood that I recall on the menu. The dessert was so so.

Here is the thread where others discussed the experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142620&highlight=chef+table+the+sapphire

I wouldn't say I had issues....it just wasn't worth the money. It took 3 phone calls/meetings to get myself booked into it. I've had less interaction to get jobs that I have had. There was no seafood that I recall on the menu. The dessert was so so.

I wonder if the process is different from ship to ship...on Ruby all I did was phone the dine line..I was asked at that time if we had any allergies and if this was our first time. Then invitations just arrived in the room the night before the dinner.

We ate with someone who's done it 9 times and he said there were 3 different menus.

I wonder if the process is different from ship to ship...on Ruby all I did was phone the dine line..I was asked at that time if we had any allergies and if this was our first time. Then invitations just arrived in the room the night before the dinner.

We ate with someone who's done it 9 times and he said there were 3 different menus.

I bet it must be different....just as the dinner is. I doubt that I'll be doing it again which is fine. I'd rather see others get the "chance" to do it. I'm glad I did it just the same.

Good information..thanks. Regarding the Sanctuary - we have never sailed on Princess before & have only seen pictures...looks like it's a covered area so I thought it might have a heated pool...no worries!

The pool near the Sanctuary is part of the Spa and is open to all adults. It is not an actual part of the Sanctuary.

Except on the coral or island, there the sanctuary pool is sanctuary only due to different configuration. It's still outdoors however.

That said, I can't see using it other than for the view on sea days with food service, especially if you had an inside cabin.

On our AK cruise, the only pool ever in use by more than one person was the indoor pool. Some people did bundle up to sit on deck..

I should point out this was in Sept. June might be a little warmer.

The pool near the Sanctuary is part of the Spa and is open to all adults. It is not an actual part of the Sanctuary.

I called right away to reserve the Chef's Table on our Alaskan cruise this past August. I did the same on the Crown in March and the Emerald in November. We did not make the cut on the Emerald. I doubt they used the first-come, first-served method on that ship. But who really knows. All three times I've been told that we would be contacted if we made the cut.

We went to Alaska in August and it was way to cold to worry about the Sanctuary. The Chef's table we have done three times and had the same menu all three times with the exception of dessert. DH commented that he ate way too much food.

I'm sure it depends on the cruise, but I can tell you the chef's table is full VERY fast. We are not elite, but we were in the first non-elite group on bnoard the Ruby on Nov. 14. We got to our room at 1 PM, and got on the DINE line right away. Not soon enough. We spoke with Generoso, the maitre d, as well. We received our refusal notice the day before the chef's table was to occur. when we spoke with Generoso, he told us it gets crazy. People call to reserve for parties of 4 to 6 people when only two are on board, and they even get some kind of number for the ship and call in from the airport!!!!

So yes, it could be tough for the Chef's Table, but try it anyway, I hear it is well worth it, and I'm going to keep trying every time.

I'm sure it depends on the cruise, but I can tell you the chef's table is full VERY fast. We are not elite, but we were in the first non-elite group on bnoard the Ruby on Nov. 14. We got to our room at 1 PM, and got on the DINE line right away. Not soon enough. We spoke with Generoso, the maitre d, as well. We received our refusal notice the day before the chef's table was to occur. when we spoke with Generoso, he told us it gets crazy. People call to reserve for parties of 4 to 6 people when only two are on board, and they even get some kind of number for the ship and call in from the airport!!!!

So yes, it could be tough for the Chef's Table, but try it anyway, I hear it is well worth it, and I'm going to keep trying every time.

It is kind of funny. I have been on cruises where they don't have enough people and advertise in the Princess Patter. Every sailing is different.

It is kind of funny. I have been on cruises where they don't have enough people and advertise in the Princess Patter. Every sailing is different.

It is usually mentioned in the embarkation day Patter, but many people overlook it with all the reading material that Princess has for the passengers that day.

Archived