Laundry

PATRIOTSRULE

Does alot of people do laundry while on the ship. How much does it cost? We don't want to over pack but we are going for 7 nights. How much clothes do you need. Planning on going to the gym while there and will surely have to do something with the sweaty clothes. Any help??

I have never done laundry on vacation in my life and sure hope I never have to, so I can't speak to the cost. I have ironed, but that is it. I probably over pack, but would rather do that than do laundry. I usually take enough underwear for the week (or however long) plus a couple extra just in case we are stranded.

As far as work out clothes (and other dirty clothes), we unpack our suitcases as soon as we get wherever. One is then used as a dirty clothes hamper and we bring the dirty clothes home in it. Hopefully I have packed right and don't have much in the way of clean clothes left (except the aforementioned underwear), but that usually doesn't happen so we have one dirty and one clean coming home!

I don't pack any differently (as far as amount of clothes) for a cruise than I do for a land vacation.

Normally, we go for a fortnight, and I make sure that we wear lighter clothes during the first week, then run a whites wash, including evening shirts, for the 2nd week. It doesn't take long to do, and saves on luggage for flights. Our 1st cruise was on Sea Princess, and it was free, though I've read that there's a small charge now. Mainly we travel on P&O and Thomson, where it's free. I take a few soap tablets, pop the washing in before breakfast, then dry it afterwards. No problem!

Jo.

We prefer RCI and one of the reasons is to avoid any reason that would take us to a washer or dryer on vacation. We pack light. We pack plenty of undies and color coordinate for dinner. You'll sometimes see the men in the same pants more than one night and you'll see the women wearing that LBD more than once or a pair of pants with 2 different tops. We carry less t-shirts than we know we will need because we always buy a few as souveniors so we just wear them when we run out. If pushed, we use the bag special for wash 'n fold, done by the ship. It's a small plastic bag, and you stuff it and send it for RCI to launder at a set rate for the bag ($20 or $25). Cheaper than paying for an extra bag at the airport and much more convenient. One of the reasons we hated going to a condo was that we would end up doing laundry at some point during vacation. I don't care if that coin-operated machine faces the ocean, I'm not spending my time on the ship in front of it.

OP your signature mentions Carnival Legend. Did you check the website? I found the answer in a few seconds of searching.

"Self-Service Launderettes:

Each ship has at least 2 self-service launderettes located on the stateroom decks.

There are two or three washers and dryers, and one iron and ironing board in each launderette. The cost is $3.00 per washer load and $3.00 per dryer load. Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener at $1.00 per box.

Note: Due to local environmental requirements, the washing machines in the guest' launderette will be closed in port, per each ports specific requirements; the dryers and irons will be available for guest use."

We always bring a couple of those one load laundry detergant packets,a couple of dryer sheets and some quarters (that way all we need to do is go to the laundry and start washing- We usually cruise on Princess and they always have a convienient laundry facility. On the last sea day I will run down-throw a couple of loads in-go enjoy the view from our balcony for a bit. When its all done we simply put our clean clothes in the suitcase for the trip home. We also bring one of those dry cleaner sheets-While DW is finishing unpacking-I take our formal stuff that may be wrinkled (or anything else) and take it down and throw it in the dryer-and out comes perfect formal wear- Works for us

Many other posters on different threads (same subject) have stated that they can do a 7-day cruise with only a carry-on.

We did a 3-week med trip (12 day cruise) and didn't do laundry once!

It's all in what you pack and how you pack:p

We have been doing our laundry ever since we started doing B2B's...with the cost of each suitcase now and still have the 50lb limit..it is well worth it....there are usually 5 of us cruising and we share the cost of one load of whites and one dark...comes to about 4.00 each..still cheaper..

Now we are Platium, it doesn't cost anything, but I still might do my own...who knows..

If you're on Carnival, you can use the self-service laundries. Since my family is aiming for doing longer cruises now, a ship with a laundromat is a must for us as one member of our family is allergic to regular detergent -- so we can't go through the ship's laundry service. I just found the allergen-free Purell sheets (we use only allergen free detergent at home for every load) so I'll try it out at home before our next cruise.

Archived