Military Onboard Credit announced

MCC retired

HI, I just called Cunard about this, and they are giving me a hard time w/ getting the credit, on top of the military ID (my husband is in the USAF) and driver's license...they also want a certificate they call a "military verification Certificate." which they say can be found on defense.gov.!!!??? My husband said no such form exists and I ,also can not find one...only a dd214 which shows when they are on active duty orders for deployment etc....What are you sending them to verify your service???......We leave on Dec. 8th and I don't think we'll get the credit as they seem to want this mystery certificate!!!! HELP!!!!

If its the same as the Princess deal then if you receive the stockholder OBC then you cannot combine it with the military OBC anyway.

When I first read the OP I contacted my TA and she told me the same thing. Guess I'll stick with the OBC as a CCL stockholder.

Did you have any luck getting the credit, I just posted to another cc member looking to get the credit, that Cunard wants a Military Verification certificate......do you know what that is???? they want something other than a DD214 form. Cunard was quite snippy when I said that a "verification form does not exist to the best of my knowledge!

Any other cruise line that has given us a military discount only wanted the military ID and Driver's license. Maybe this is Cunards way of making it impossible to get the credit!!! But the announcement looks good for PR. Thanks for any info on this, we sail Next Wed Dec 8th and any info would be most appreciated!! Cheers.

Did you have any luck getting the credit, I just posted to another cc member looking to get the credit, that Cunard wants a Military Verification certificate......do you know what that is???? they want something other than a DD214 form. Cunard was quite snippy when I said that a "verification form does not exist to the best of my knowledge!

Any other cruise line that has given us a military discount only wanted the military ID and Driver's license. Maybe this is Cunards way of making it impossible to get the credit!!! But the announcement looks good for PR. Thanks for any info on this, we sail Next Wed Dec 8th and any info would be most appreciated!! Cheers.

This may?? be here

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militaryemploymentverification.html

I also see that Princess line is asking for the same Military Verification certificate so a call to them might help.

But where's the fun in that? I didn't achieve grumpy-old-man status by just sitting back and going with the flow :D:D:D

J

Your right, not just that, but, if we stand back and do nothing wait and see, then nothing would happen, we all know that much.

I too will be writting to them

Does this mean that we Aussies (and Kiwis) ought to start writing letters as well? Surely any such measure should also apply to our servicemen and women, who have bravely served alongside both the US and UK forces?:confused:

Beth

Quite. And the Free French, the Norwegians and the Poles who joined the Royal Navy, Royal Airforce and Army in the last world war. Plus, no doubt, plenty of others.

I think it is interesting that Shanks is acting surprised and saying that they are NOW thinking of doing it for "Brits". Firstly, the word is Britons, and secondly as Beth has said, we're not the only ones.

More interestingly, what about the Germans?

WD

HI, I just called Cunard about this, and they are giving me a hard time w/ getting the credit, on top of the military ID (my husband is in the USAF) and driver's license...they also want a certificate they call a "military verification Certificate." which they say can be found on defense.gov.!!!??? My husband said no such form exists and I ,also can not find one...only a dd214 which shows when they are on active duty orders for deployment etc....What are you sending them to verify your service???......We leave on Dec. 8th and I don't think we'll get the credit as they seem to want this mystery certificate!!!! HELP!!!!

I think the Cunard office staff possibly need an education!:eek:

From what we know A Military Employment Verification is available for active duty personnel and a DD214 id only available to discharged retired non active personnel, making it impossible to have both at one time

This is what Cunard say in their press release they require to claim the OBC

The Line's military personnel on board credit programme is available to active military personnel plus retired and disabled military veterans with proper verification as follows:

* Active personnel currently serving in the following service divisions: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, Reserves, Canadian National Defense (military verification certificate).

* Retired Personnel defined as: Enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, medically retired or 100-percent disabled (blue or tan uniformed ID card/Canadian white N.D. 21 ID card).

* Veterans with an Honourable Discharge serving a minimum of two years or six months in an active war zone in any of the United States service divisions listed above or Canadian National Defense (DD 214 plus current photo ID).

The on board credit amount is $50 for voyages six days in length or less, $100 for voyages of seven to 13 days, or $250 for voyages of 14 days or longer, offered on a per stateroom basis.

To request the military personnel on board credit, eligible persons should apply no later than one week prior to the voyage departure date. Guest and sailing information should be accompanied by proof of eligibility and provided to either the guest's travel agent or to Cunard Line. For more details about how to submit information, contact 1-800-7-CUNARD (1-800-728-6273).

We will be submittimg a claim with a DD214 i will let you know thw result.

I called Cunard (in the US) and was told that I only need the DD-214 and ID, just as the previous poster said. And the person with whom I spoke was also polite and respectful. I was told to fax the DD-214 and a copy of my ID as well as my booking number to Cunard at: 661-753-1395.

By the way I agree that this same recognition should be extended to our friends from the UK, Australia and New Zealand as well as anyone that has fought with us, such as the Gurkhas, to preserve our and others freedom.

That Cunard should restrict this offer to US and Canadian forces is utterly disgraceful

Well said!

In the meantime, no Cousins or Canadians should feel bashful about applying for the credit - its Cunard - and Mr Shanks in particular - well, he's quoted in the press release (perhaps he should read these things before issuing them?) - who should get their act together pronto.

They will deserve all the bad publicity they get over this until its fixed.

@William Dean.....interesting question......perhaps their 'get out' is 'Commonwealth'......

Germany is part of NATO and the playground for thousands of our troops since the Cold War began.

More interestingly, there is France. Half in and half out of NATO.

There are German cruiselines such as Hapag-Lloyd who I am sure would be eager to offer OBC to ex German military.

I can't see any reason why Cunard should do so, they have no German connection at all, except as U Boat targets in the past, which hardly qualifies them in my book for OBC.

Well said!

In the meantime, no Cousins or Canadians should feel bashful about applying for the credit - its Cunard - and Mr Shanks in particular - well, he's quoted in the press release (perhaps he should read these things before issuing them?) - who should get their act together pronto.

They will deserve all the bad publicity they get over this until its fixed.

It appears to me as if Mr. Shanks wants the "best of both worlds", as one minute when announcing the OBC freebie he clearly has his Carnival Corporation (American) hat on, which has obviously been swiftly changed to the the Cunard British Bowler Hat, when he was quoted by Alistair Greener in his blog at http://wearecunard.com/2010/11/celebrations-for-queen-mary-2%e2%80%99s-latest-star/

In this blog (which announces a live TV satellite link to all three Cunard vessels on the day of the forthcoming Royal Wedding), Mr Shanks states:-

“Cunard is a company with an enviable heritage and unparalleled links to the Royal family – our ships were named wither by Her Majesty The Queen or by her apparent successor, HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. It follows then that our passengers are likely to have an above average interest in the pageantry of a Royal wedding. We intend to cater for that and ensure they do not miss one minute. Royal weddings don’t happen that often and with our impeccable Royal connections we intend to ensure that our red ensign ships lead the British merchant marine in marking this momentous day”

If Mr. Shanks truly believes that “Cunard is a company with an enviable heritage and unparalleled links to the Royal family", then he should ensure that HM Armed Forces are not excluded from the current OBC offer.

Come on Mr Shanks, which hat are you wearing - Baseball Cap or Bowler Hat?

Regards,

David

There are German cruiselines such as Hapag-Lloyd who I am sure would be eager to offer OBC to ex German military.

I can't see any reason why Cunard should do so, they have no German connection at all, except as U Boat targets in the past, which hardly qualifies them in my book for OBC.

You have obviously never visited Hamburg on QM2. I have - twice - and, on both occasions, tens of thousands of people turned out to see us. In addition, Cunard has a large and loyal German passenger base.

The Germans, notwithstanding the point that they are a great and civilised nation, have been fighting in Afghanistan. Italy and Japan, the remaining major Axis powers, were both involved in Iraq.

Times change.

The Germans, notwithstanding the point that they are a great and civilised nation, have been fighting in Afghanistan. Italy and Japan, the remaining major Axis powers, were both involved in Iraq.

Times change.

Times may change, and I have happily served alongside German soldiers myself, which is possibly more than most can claim on here, but I still question what positive connection Germany has with Cunard - other than as customers - which would make them eligible for hefty OBC.

Cunard makes a great deal of history - let history make the rule here.

Its going to turn into another EU otherwise. Too many members.

What's the point of a club if everybody's in it?

You are just back where you started.

Times change.

I had a great friend in 1st Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders who, despite being born in Scotland (just outside Glasgow) had a German father, who had been a prisoner of war. He was a former Luftwaffe NCO who had been a member of the aircrew of a German bomber shot down after one of the raids on Clydebank. In 1982 the Battalion was stationed in Akrotiri in Cyprus which, in those days, was very much an RAF fiefdom.

The big social even of the year in the Garrison Sergeants' Mess was the Battle of Britain Ball. As it happens, my friend had brought his father over to Cyprus for a holiday and his visit coincided with the Ball. His father said he would love to attend the ball and my friend said something like "Don't be bloody daft - you were the enemy!". With incontrovertable logic his father pointed out that if it hadn't been for the Luftwaffe they wouldn't have had a Battle of Britain and therefore, by extension of the logic, no Ball!

The Garrison RSM was approached, and on hearing about my friend's father's service he was invited as the guest of honour and was treated more like visiting royalty than anything else. Truly, as they no doubt say over on the dancey thread, it takes two to tango.

J

Getting dangerously near the realm of politics in this thread, but at the end of the day any cruise line really only offers bonuses to attract business.

So its a commercial decision in a bid to increase profits.

And OBC is very cheap for a cruiseline to offer as most people spend it on high margin items like $25 $5 photos, or $35 bottles of $8 wine.

Some other cruise lines like NCL actually offer reduced rates for military - again not British - but only on less popular sailings which probably won't sell out anyway.

I have no doubt that what was in the chief of Cunard.‘s mind was to stir up a little business in North America among the veterans here. It was a lovely idea, albeit not original, however, I would think that Mr Shanks might have been a little wiser and understood that there is nothing that hurts feelings more than exclusion. To think only of the bottom line rather than the end results, particularly among one’s own countrymen, says little about the astuteness of the line’s operations.But occasionally something is done without a great deal of thought, which causes just the reverse of what was anticipated and causes a great deal of irreparable damage that not even a conciliatory offer will fix.

Let us hope for Cunard’s sake that this isn’t the case this time. After all, it is the British who most adore its ships and most of all its own Cunard ships. And if one continues to insist on only looking at the bottom line, then it is the British who fill more than half Cunard’s cabins. So I hope there is a heartfelt apology along with a very good offer from Mr Shanks to his slighted fellow countrymen very soon.

And then we who are stockholders - who actually own the whole dang shooting match anyway - even if its in a small way individually - may want a better deal than that offered as an enticement to any other group.

Stockholders will not have been involved in this decision to offer OBC to military as the stockholders are not in a position to micromanage the executives - and even less so with Cunard than some other lines, as all the shares are Carnival.

But AGM's do come round every year and we do have the right to attend and raise questions.

Well Mr Shanks? I do hope you read this thread.....what about those of us that served in the British Military? I want my onboard credit thank you. Why should it just apply to US/Canadian military?

Please do not discriminate.

This has made me particularly angry to say the least. In fact I am seriously considering cancelling my next voyage around Australia because of this discrimination.

One very angry ex serving Womens Royal Naval Service person.

Archived