Military Onboard Credit announced

MCC retired

:)In Recognition of Recent Veterans and Remembrance Day Holidays, Cunard Line Honours Military Personnel with

On Board Credit ProgrammeIn recognition of those who have served and continue to serve in the military, Cunard Line is promoting its military on board credit programme for active and retired military personnel. The credit, which ranges from $50 to $250 per stateroom depending on the length of the voyage, is available to members of the United States and Canadian armed forces with appropriate service identification.... < Read the remainder of this article at Cunard.com >

We get all the breaks! I'm sure it was some kind of oversight and Cunard should start hearing from the ANZAC and British contingent!

Just for informational news Norwegian Cruise Lines has offered Military Discounts for cruises (might only be on certain itineraries) in the amount of 10% I believe.

I agree that others should be included. This offer is identical to what Princess started the end of August. No surprise there. The military discounts on Celebrity are fabulous when offered. EM

That Cunard should restrict this offer to US and Canadian forces is utterly disgraceful but entirely unsurprising given the total contempt in the United Kingdom for serving and former members of the armed forces (the current outbreak of mawkish and nausea inducing sentimentality notwithstanding). I have just sent this letter to Cunard.

J

"18 November 2010 - In recognition of those who have served and

continue to serve in the military, Cunard Line is promoting its military

on board credit programme for active and retired military personnel. The

credit, which ranges from $50 to $250 per stateroom depending on the

length of the voyage, is available to members of the United States and

Canadian armed forces with appropriate service identification.

"In honour of the recent Veterans and Remembrance Day holidays, we

commemorate and thank those who have fought around the globe to bring

peace and freedom worldwide," said Peter Shanks, president of Cunard

Line. "Throughout our 170 year history, we have supported military

forces during wartime; today we recognize their dedicated service and

hope that this programme provides a small token of our gratitude."

The above is a quote taken from a press release on the Cunard.com site.

I assume that this is an initiative on the part of Cunard in the USA.

Still, it's nice to know that Mr Shanks is so grateful to the armed

forces of the United States and Canada. Is he aware that the United

Kingdom also has armed forces? Is he not grateful to them too? If not

why not?

Make no mistake about it, this is grossly discriminatory, and I will be

contacting my MP and the Sun newspaper with immediate effect. I also

very much doubt if you will be receiving any further bookings from me.

I take this action with great personal sadness as I dearly love travelling

on Cunard ships, however as a former soldier with 23 years regular service

in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, more than one third of which was

spent on active service in Northern Ireland, I regard this as a totally unacceptable

insult to every British soldier, sailor and airman, serving and retired. For a line

such as Cunard that is regarded, particularly by citizens of the United States,

as exemplifying the very quintessence of "Britishness" this is a disgrace of cosmic proportions.

Your former passenger

James C*******

Warrant Officer Class 1 (retired)

:)In Recognition of Recent Veterans and Remembrance Day Holidays, Cunard Line Honours Military Personnel with

On Board Credit ProgrammeIn recognition of those who have served and continue to serve in the military, Cunard Line is promoting its military on board credit programme for active and retired military personnel. The credit, which ranges from $50 to $250 per stateroom depending on the length of the voyage, is available to members of the United States and Canadian armed forces with appropriate service identification.... < Read the remainder of this article at Cunard.com >

Thank you for this information my DH will apply for his obc. we didnt know about this so thanks again :D

That Cunard should restrict this offer to US and Canadian forces is utterly disgraceful but entirely unsurprising given the total contempt in the United Kingdom for serving and former members of the armed forces (the current outbreak of mawkish and nausea inducing sentimentality notwithstanding). I have just sent this letter to Cunard.

J

"18 November 2010 - In recognition of those who have served and

continue to serve in the military, Cunard Line is promoting its military

on board credit programme for active and retired military personnel. The

credit, which ranges from $50 to $250 per stateroom depending on the

length of the voyage, is available to members of the United States and

Canadian armed forces with appropriate service identification.

"In honour of the recent Veterans and Remembrance Day holidays, we

commemorate and thank those who have fought around the globe to bring

peace and freedom worldwide," said Peter Shanks, president of Cunard

Line. "Throughout our 170 year history, we have supported military

forces during wartime; today we recognize their dedicated service and

hope that this programme provides a small token of our gratitude."

The above is a quote taken from a press release on the Cunard.com site.

I assume that this is an initiative on the part of Cunard in the USA.

Still, it's nice to know that Mr Shanks is so grateful to the armed

forces of the United States and Canada. Is he aware that the United

Kingdom also has armed forces? Is he not grateful to them too? If not

why not?

Make no mistake about it, this is grossly discriminatory, and I will be

contacting my MP and the Sun newspaper with immediate effect. I also

very much doubt if you will be receiving any further bookings from me.

I take this action with great personal sadness as I dearly love travelling

on Cunard ships, however as a former soldier with 23 years regular service

in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, more than one third of which was

spent on active service in Northern Ireland, I regard this as a totally unacceptable

insult to every British soldier, sailor and airman, serving and retired. For a line

such as Cunard that is regarded, particularly by citizens of the United States,

as exemplifying the very quintessence of "Britishness" this is a disgrace of cosmic proportions.

Your former passenger

James C*******

Warrant Officer Class 1 (retired)

Mr James C,

I cannot begin to tell you how angry l am with this and am in total agreement with your statement here.

Judy

Cruachan

Please post when you get a response to your letter, I'd love to see how it is answered. I hope some kind of belated make good gesture will be forthcoming.

Oh, I don't seriously expect to get a response. They will just write me off as some mad staring eyed lunatic and bin it I expect.

J

I sincerely hope that they don't James - but if they do, then they will have to do the same to me, for I have also written to Cunard airing my disgust at their discriminatory policy. If I do get a reply, I expect it to be a typically vague form letter full of a lot of 'nothingness' wrapped up in hot air!

If I am favoured with a reply, I will let you know.

Regards,

David

I sincerely hope that they don't James - but if they do, then they will have to do the same to me, for I have also written to Cunard airing my disgust at their discriminatory policy. If I do get a reply, I expect it to be a typically vague form letter full of a lot of 'nothingness' wrapped up in hot air!

If I am favoured with a reply, I will let you know.

Regards,

David

Yes, and couched in the usual prolix management verbiage no doubt. If, against the odds, I do get any kind of response I will also post it on here.

J

Nov

Brit forces may get a thank-you drink from Cunard

by Steve Read

squaddies-on-qe2-300x184.jpg Soldiers on the QE2 when she sailed to the Falklands

CUNARD Line’s “have a drink on us” thank-you offer to American and Canadian military may soon be extended to British forces.

Acting and retired servicemen from North America get onboard credit of between $50 and $250, depending on the length of their cruise on the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria or the newly-launched Queen Elizabeth.

The offer was suddenly promoted by Cunard’s American office this weekend, and seems to have caught the British end by surprise.

A spokesman for Cunard Line’s Southampton-based president Peter Shanks said he is considering extending it to the UK.

For US and Canadians, the offer is for serving members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, Reserves and the Canadian National Defence force.

Veterans who have been honourably discharged after two years’ service – or six months in a war zone – are also eligible, along with those who have retired after 20 years’ service, are medically retired, or are 100 per cent disabled.

The onboard credit is $50 for cruises six days or less, $100 for cruises of seven to 13 days, or $250 for cruises of 14 days or longer. Appropriate ID has to be produced.

CUNqueenvictoria-300x200.jpg Queen Victoria

Mr Shanks told American media: “In honour of the recent Veterans and Remembrance Day holidays, we commemorate and thank those who have fought around the globe to bring peace and freedom worldwide.

“Throughout our 170 year history, we have supported military forces during wartime; today we recognize their dedicated service and hope that this programme provides a small token of our gratitude

What an insult.

I just can't understand what Cunard is thinking of - does no-one vet these ideas before they are published.:confused:

The Right Hand (UK) has no clue what the Left Hand (U.S.) is doing. Seems to me a right lax way to run a company. Someone needs to create the position of Chief Hand Wringer to make sure both sides get ideas across to the other. ;)

Nov

CUNARD Line’s “have a drink on us” thank-you offer to American and Canadian military may soon be extended to British forces.

A spokesman for Cunard Line’s Southampton-based president Peter Shanks said he is considering extending it to the UK.

Mr Shanks told American media: “In honour of the recent Veterans and Remembrance Day holidays, we commemorate and thank those who have fought around the globe to bring peace and freedom worldwide.

“Throughout our 170 year history, we have supported military forces during wartime; today we recognize their dedicated service and hope that this programme provides a small token of our gratitude

Does this mean that we Aussies (and Kiwis) ought to start writing letters as well? Surely any such measure should also apply to our servicemen and women, who have bravely served alongside both the US and UK forces?:confused:

Beth

Does this mean that we Aussies (and Kiwis) ought to start writing letters as well? Surely any such measure should also apply to our servicemen and women, who have bravely served alongside both the US and UK forces?:confused:

Beth

As an honorably discharged veteran who arrived in Viet Nam on 14 Feb 68 (look it up) I feel that maybe we should all chill and let Cunard get a handle on this. Right hand may not know what Left hand is doing. but it all eventually gets to the brain:D

As an honorably discharged veteran who arrived in Viet Nam on 14 Feb 68 (look it up) I feel that maybe we should all chill and let Cunard get a handle on this.

But where's the fun in that? I didn't achieve grumpy-old-man status by just sitting back and going with the flow :D:D:D

J

I think that this is an absolute disgrace. Cunard are 'supposed' to be a British Line. I know that they are owned by Carnival and sell in US Dollar, but they harp on about their 'Britishness' as a marketing ploy and then this!

What a screw up... either offer if to all or not at all! Surely someone somewhere realises that this is going to blow up in their faces - just wait til the UK press get hold of this one... don't think it will be too long before Cunard relent.

There is a petition that you can start on the Downing Street website - not sure how it works, but i'm sure if someone started it, we could get enough support from these boards!

If its the same as the Princess deal then if you receive the stockholder OBC then you cannot combine it with the military OBC anyway.

So for most regular cruisers on Carnival owned ships such as Cunard its no big deal anyway as if they are switched on to savings they are already stockholders.

But I totally agree that all British and Commonwealth military etc should receive the same offer from cruise lines.

As a former weekend warrior (it doesn't apply) and the father of a serving officer, I will watch with interest.

There are many American companies, such as Disney, that operate such schemes. What is so annoying about this, is the fact that Cunard promote themselves as quintessentially British, then snub our armed and commonwealth forces.

Get it sorted Mr Shanks!

I guess this is straightforward

...Veterans with an Honourable Discharge serving a minimum of two years or six months in an active war zone...
I qualify for the "veterans...with two years" clause, but having it appear alongside the "retired personnel" clause suggests that the "active war zone" part of the clause is what's really intended.

Anybody else reading this to mean that if you have 2 years active duty and were honorably discharged you qualify for the benefit, regardless of retirement status and active war zone status?

I'd expect that a significant part of Cunard's demographic had some form of active duty service...

Archived