Guarantee vs. Selecting Your Stateroom

I object 2

First of all, everyone will tell you that you should never book a gty in a category that you would not be happy with the worst cabin in that category. And never book with the expectation of an upgrade. That said, there is a science involved in booking a gty with hopes of an upgrade. Examine the cabin availability carefully. You will see that the lowest and highest cabins in each category go fty only or waitlist first. That is because those booking the inside gty in lowest category are almost certain to get upgraded, albeit probably to a higher level inside. Those that book the highest inside as a gty are gambling on being upgraded to an obstructed OV. Those that book the highest of obstructed OVs as a gty are gambling on getting upgraded to an unobstructed OV..And so it goes. Are you hoping that if you book an AA gty, you will be upgraded to a full suite? There are very few full suites, so your chances are slim. EM

I can't comment on the chances of getting an upgrade, but this has been my experience. We always book a balcony guarantee. We have had staterooms on the Caribe deck for four cruises which I consider a real upgrade from booking a balcony guarantee. We have been assigned staterooms in the BA category several times. I figure no matter which category of balcony I am assigned, it can't be too bad! Just my opinion.

I would book in the category with which you are comfortable.

Shirley

We have booked AA mini suites for many years, and only once have we received an upgrade to a full suite. If you decide to book an assigned AA mini suite, just make sure to leave your booking open for upgrades if you are hoping for a full suite bump.

But, I have to tell you, the one and only time we did receive a complimentary upgrade to a full suite from an AA, I would have gladly taken my AA back immediately upon entering the suite. The suite we were upgraded to was not sold for a reason, directly under the pool deck and the ping pong tables (noisest cabin we have had in over 40 cruises, and absolutely horrible). So, just keep in mind that if you book an AA guarantee you could be assigned to any full suite, even the worst one onboard the ship. Good luck though!

One thing to keep in mind is that the default for all bookings is "Will accept an upgrade" unless the passenger specifically requests "No upgrade." Which means that most of the passengers on the ship are hoping for an upgrade. Upgrades are based on an algorithm developed from booking probabilities and supply and demand, i.e., the number of cabins available in a category and demand. That's true whether you book a GTY or a specific cabin. Upgrades from one cabin type to another, as opposed to category, don't happen that often which means that in real terms, if you book the lowest cabin category of type of cabin, you are more likely to be upgraded to the same type but a different category. In other words, the probability of an "upgrade" is greater if you book an AD than if you book an AA because there are far more mini-suites available than full suites (the only cabin type you could be upgraded to if you book an AA.) The only difference between an AC and AA mini-suite (besides a higher price) is location. They are exactly the same cabin type.

From my prospective, I like to chose my cabin, and stick to it. The reason is that my wife is not great at walking, so I try to select a cabin which overall entails the least walking.

Some years ago our TA called and told us that Princess had offered us a four cabin upgrade. I took one look and said NO. Too much walking.

A year or two later we tried to book a similar cabin, one a sister ship to the one above, and our TA informed us that there were three cabins available. However, all Princess would offer us was a 'Guarantee', and nothing would shake them. I got mad, and I instructed our TA to book a similar cruise, on a different line, again on a fixed cabin, and cancel our cruise with Princess.

It does pay to to have a good TA, she did not book the cruise as instructed, she merely called Princess, and informed them of my intentions. She called me back later on that same day, with a choice of two cabins, in the best area. You guessed, we sailed with Princess.:)

john

Does one stand a better chance of an upgrade by booking a guarantee vs. select a specific stateroom? We're looking at booking a mini, AA category.
One stands a better chance of an upgrade by booking the lowest category you are willing to live with as a GTY. For instance we love balconies but don't really care whether we are midships or not, so book BG GTY. We've gotten some pretty nice upgrades as cabin assignments, but some day we could actually get one of the 6 or so BG cabins on the ship. The BG GTY price means we can afford cruising more often.

On the other hand when booking a mid range OV Obstructed GTY we got exactly what we booked.

So it is a matter of price you want to pay and cabin amenities you want to have. It is also a matter of supply and demand (e.g. the 6 BG's with dozens of GTY bookings).

First of all, everyone will tell you that you should never book a gty in a category that you would not be happy with the worst cabin in that category.
Never book a guarantee unless you'd could be happy with the worst cabin in that category or any of the higher categories. As some have alluded to, what Princess considers an upgrade might end up being a worse cabin.

Never book a guarantee unless you'd could be happy with the worst cabin in that category or any of the higher categories. As some have alluded to, what Princess considers an upgrade might end up being a worse cabin.

Ummm...Isn't that what I said? EM

We booked an inside guarantee (Cat M) on the Crown Princess for February 2011. Do you think we stand a good chance of getting an upgrade or not?

Yes, but it will probably be to another inside. I had an M gty and got a JJ. EM

Thanks for the replies everyone. The AA category on our sailing isn't sold out, so I'm sure there's no possibility of an upgrade. We'll select a cabin and be happy with our choice. After all.....we're going to be cruising. Life is good!

We booked an inside guarantee (Cat M) on the Crown Princess for February 2011. Do you think we stand a good chance of getting an upgrade or not?

You have as good of a chance as the next passenger. There is absolutely no way to predict if you have a better chance than anyone else on your sailing. It all depends on how well your category is selling and if they need to move you up or not. Good Luck though!

Just checked the Cruise Personalizer and it looks as if they have already assigned us a cabin. Cat I R245 on the Rivera deck forward. Can anyone tell me if that is a good upgrade for a Cat M GTY? Does that mean we are locked in now or can they still change it prior to our cruise?

Just checked the Cruise Personalizer and it looks as if they have already assigned us a cabin. Cat I R245 on the Rivera deck forward. Can anyone tell me if that is a good upgrade for a Cat M GTY? Does that mean we are locked in now or can they still change it prior to our cruise?

Can it possibly change again before your cruise? Yes. BUT there is a better chance that this is the cabin you will be in when you sail. There are times when the cruise line changes the assignment again, but more often than not, once assigned a stateroom, this is where you will end up. Enjoy!

Can it possibly change again before your cruise? Yes. BUT there is a better chance that this is the cabin you will be in when you sail. There are times when the cruise line changes the assignment again, but more often than not, once assigned a stateroom, this is where you will end up. Enjoy!

Thanks Toto2, I appreciate the info. This will be our first Princess cruise and we are really looking forward to it.

Can anyone tell me if that is a good upgrade for a Cat M GTY?

Define "good."

It's a six category upgrade, which sounds impressive, but it's inside-to-inside. You'll get exactly the same cabin you would have hadin M, just higher up on the ship. It's high and forward, which means more motion, but above and below cabins, so not noisy. It's closer to some things, farther from others. Big deal. Princess charges more for some inside cabins than others, but honestly, I can't figure out why - unless you want to be near something in particular, like the Lido or midship elevators - any inside cabin is worth more than another. You got what you paid for. Be happy, have a great trip.

Archived