New Celebrity Page for Captain's Club

Orator

Does Diamond + have any benefits that are better than Celebrity's Elite?

I suppose the most significant advantage to Celebrity cruisers would be the ability to be Diamond + on RCL if you sail on that cruise line. I love Celebrity, so it is not likely for me.

Now, they need to add an Elite+ level to match Diamond+.

While I hope they don't, it will probably happen. Just means they will take the usable perks away from Elite and move them to Elite+ - Same think happened on RCL Crown & Anchor and I'll tell you, most of us Diamond members were not too happy.

OK, I'm ready to be flamed. I believe that the 10 credits to achieve Elite is far too few. The result has been just too many people crowding into the "Elite Hour". On my TA's we had from 400-600 people who qualified for the benefit. I know that the Hostesses have become frustrated by their inability to get to know the guests. I don't like the term "Elite", much prefer something that didn't sound snobby, but the most loyal guests should be treated as special. Many businesses have special cards and benefits for their best customers. You're really not "special" if 25% of the guests qualify.

On my last sailing (GOTS in July) there was a couple who were on B2B's sailings #99 & 100 for RCL. Maybe Diamond/Elite should require 100 cruises and Elite+ and 500?

There's usually gonna be someone with more cruise credits than you who thinks they should be treated more special than you. Where do you draw the line?

Cruise lines are competing very aggressively for my vacation $ and I will spend it where I think I will get the best value. The loyalty programs help me make those decisions (why I have concentrated on RCCL and now since I have reciprocity, Celebrity).

If you want to get less head count at functions/activities, I would suggest going on the higher rated lines (like Raddison, SilverSea, etc...) - This way, being crowded doesn't depend on who's cruised how many times.

On my last sailing (GOTS in July) there was a couple who were on B2B's sailings #99 & 100 for RCL. Maybe Diamond/Elite should require 100 cruises and Elite+ and 500?

There's usually gonna be someone with more cruise credits than you who thinks they should be treated more special than you. Where do you draw the line?

Cruise lines are competing very aggressively for my vacation $ and I will spend it where I think I will get the best value. The loyalty programs help me make those decisions (why I have concentrated on RCCL and now since I have reciprocity, Celebrity).

If you want to get less head count at functions/activities, I would suggest going on the higher rated lines (like Raddison, SilverSea, etc...) - This way, being crowded doesn't depend on who's cruised how many times.

First; Celebrity program is based on "credits" rather than "cruises." For a 14 day TA in AQ I "earned" 3 credits. You can pile up credits quite quickly, that's part of the problem.

Second: A couple will be celebrating their 150th Celebrity cruise when they sail next week. In my view they should received more benefits than I, who will be on my 12th X cruise. Where do you draw the line? I believe that if RCL and X swap recognition levels, the rules should be the same. It's their call, not mine. Using that measure I would not currently qualify for the + level, I need to demonstrate my continued loyalty. I will!

Third, I too look for value and service. That's why I choose Celebrity.

Fourth: I love the Celebrity ships. I know that some prefer the smaller ships of the luxury lines, but that's not me. For me, Celebrity is a much better value and cruise experience.

Good people can have reasonable differences.

One the perks that went away with the Crown & Anchor changes was access to the Concierge lounge for Diamond members - Now it's suite guests and D+ only. (They used the Champagne Bar on the GOTS last sailing for Diamond level folks with a 25% discount on bar service - a far cry from Concierge lounge access and perks).

If X made a comparable Elite+, I would assume access to the Captains Club Lounge would be switch to the higher level (as it did on RCCL) - This is one perk that does have an effect on where I choose to spend my money since my DW loves her specialty coffee's and they can add up, just like any other bar bill item I would otherwise have to pay for.

Don't get me wrong, I see this as a done deal - Just when, not if.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

And yes, we can agree to disagree but it always feels like the perks I would use at the level I need to be at is always a few cruises away, and every time I get close, they bump those perks up to the next level. Imagine that when you got to 24 cruise credits, they added a new level with the benefits you wanted that was 50 credits, how would you feel when you booked that 25th sailing?

I agree with Orator; there needs to be another level beyond Elite with Celebrity and events should be strictly for Elite members, no suites, first time cruisers with one time only Elite benefits etc. We seldom attend the events because of the sheer number of attendees but we did enjoy the last Captain's Club event on Solstice where food stations were set up throughout the Sky Lounge. This way no one was overlooked. I would love to see more non-alcohol beverages offered at these events.

The one thing that RCI Ds and D+s get that =X= doesn't offer is the $300 discount on balconies. For light drinkers like us, that is far more significant then any free drink program.

I dunno - For my upcoming sailing I got a concierge class cabin for about $100/pp more than it would have cost for an inside (I booked about two months ago - prices were dirt cheap).

OK, I'm ready to be flamed. I believe that the 10 credits to achieve Elite is far too few. The result has been just too many people crowding into the "Elite Hour". On my TA's we had from 400-600 people who qualified for the benefit. I know that the Hostesses have become frustrated by their inability to get to know the guests. I don't like the term "Elite", much prefer something that didn't sound snobby, but the most loyal guests should be treated as special. Many businesses have special cards and benefits for their best customers. You're really not "special" if 25% of the guests qualify.

I agree 100%

Srpilo

Orator, I agree with you. The lounges on our last cruise were very crowded and the perk has lost some of its specialness when you're packed in a full lounge with dozens of others. It is far too easy to rack up credits on X. It's nice that they recognize sailing in a suite or sailing on a longer cruise, but one can become elite in only 2-3 cruises this way, thus so many elites. We earned elite "the hard way", before the credits system and based on number of cruises taken. And honestly, it took more than a few years to reach it, but I appreciate the perks more for it. My suggestion: change it to number of cruises or number of days sailed. HAL and Princess do it this way and I believe it's much more fair. (They're not overwhelmed by elites, either.) Also, eliminate reciprocity with RCI - it's a perk far too generous for its own good, doubling or tripling the existing amount of elites and making things even more crowded.

I also see a new elite+ level in the future, and lots of folks who won't be too happy then, either. :rolleyes:

VERY disappointed in the new functionality and discrimination by Celebrity.

What on earth is the point of putting this functionality in and then disabling it for a significant proportion of their passengers?

Clicking on functions returns messages as below, including in red.

We are sorry, Sailing History is only allowed for United States guests.

We are sorry, Edit Membership is only allowed for United States guests.

Thanks Celebrity - not! :mad:

I agree with you also. Now that Celebrity is 20 years old, there are simply too many people who qualify at that level. I think they need to create a new level for that reason alone - as the years go by more and more people will reach Elite level.

Personally, while I love the idea of the Elite lounge and free drinks, I am not at all happy with the timing of it and the fact that you cannot wear shorts/t-shirts. In my opinion those qualifications discriminate against second seating diners. Around that time of day I am just getting back from the shore and am settling in for my nap before dinner. Don't really want to shower and get all dressed up only to wait around four hours for dinner. On the cruise I was just on, there was a 1:30 event and you were expected to dress for that as well. HUH??? I know that's a bit off topic, but certainly related. I also feel that the dress code adds to the sense of "elite" being snobbish, and not just a level of customer loyalty. I know many do not agree with me, so I guess I am ready to be flamed as well:)

If you expect more and more from the cruise lines they are going to eventually say 'enough is enough' and stop all forms of credit systems.

Im sorry but this 'we want more for nothing wont last much longer in today's economical climate'

One day Celebrity/RCCL will stop all these statuses and

Think of the money they will save !

Think of the future reductions on sailings from the savings !

Think of the all the extra passengers who will be able to go to cruising since the prices will have been reduced

Think of it no more snobbish posts

Remember when you first started cruising and you worked towards your new status, well you have achieved it and so have a lot of others since cruising has become more and more affordable to others now.

Be happy with what you have, take your lollypop and be thankful before they take it away !

:)

Orator, I agree with you. The lounges on our last cruise were very crowded and the perk has lost some of its specialness when you're packed in a full lounge with dozens of others. It is far too easy to rack up credits on X. It's nice that they recognize sailing in a suite or sailing on a longer cruise, but one can become elite in only 2-3 cruises this way, thus so many elites. We earned elite "the hard way", before the credits system and based on number of cruises taken. And honestly, it took more than a few years to reach it, but I appreciate the perks more for it. My suggestion: change it to number of cruises or number of days sailed. HAL and Princess do it this way and I believe it's much more fair. (They're not overwhelmed by elites, either.) Also, eliminate reciprocity with RCI - it's a perk far too generous for its own good, doubling or tripling the existing amount of elites and making things even more crowded.

I also see a new elite+ level in the future, and lots of folks who won't be too happy then, either. :rolleyes:

I don't see earning Elite one cruise at a time as being the hard way. If you live near a port it is really the easy way. We have earned our Elite status by taking longer cruises, because when air fare is needed every time it is not worth taking a three or even seven day cruise. We know people who can drive an hour to the ship and take advantage of rock bottom last minute offers several times a year, so their cost to reach Elite is much lower than ours.

I am not saying that one way is better than another, just that there isn't any way that will please everyone.

Interesting thread. We reached the Elite level on our recent TA. If an Elite+ level is added, I hope the current Elite perks remain in place with additional perks for the new Elite+ level. That would be the best lollipop of all.

We reached Elite after four cruises, booking various 13/14/15 night cruises, once in a CC and recently in a suite.

I wish i had access to the ships so I did not have to fly but i do and i only have enough time for one cruise a year. I am earning it the expensive way as a single. I finally am moving up to select after my next cruise. I even paid to join the CC so I am a founder too. I rarely use my perks except for internet time. There are so many ways to earn credits and the costs vary for everyone. Who knows how long it will take to make the elite level but they will probably move it up before i get there. I am going because i love to cruise, love the ports, the warm weather in winter, dinner cooked and served with no dishes to clean up, no cleaning my room, someone to wait on me everywhere i go. It is nice to be appreciated for my business. My travel agent buys me dinner so I appreciate that too.

i agree with scotsnomad. I will appreciate what i have. I do think they will add an elite + level at some point. The most important thing is doing the basics right. Good food, good and friendly service, clean and well maintained facilities.

michelle

It takes a minimum of 4 cruises to reach Elite, so the first cruise that one could enjoy Elite would be on one's 5th cruise.

On another issue, it is a bit annoying to me that Royal Caribbean cruisers can enjoy top Celebrity benefits with only 10 tier credits, but Celebrity cruisers with Elite status get a much reduced level of benefit on RCCL, and even when reaching 24 tier points, cannot ever enjoy the top RCCL benefits, as Celebrity doesn't have a reciprocal level with Diamond Plus (as it is currently set up).

Given the pressure of numbers, I really do think that they should completely remove the reciprocity between all 3 of the RCL brands, and people should build up their status on each line separately.

I also think that HAL has an interesting way of calculating status. You get tier credit for the number of days cruised as well as tier credit for your on-board spending. I don't know if they factor in extra credit for suites or not.

If you expect more and more from the cruise lines they are going to eventually say 'enough is enough' and stop all forms of credit systems.

Im sorry but this 'we want more for nothing wont last much longer in today's economical climate'

One day Celebrity/RCCL will stop all these statuses and

Think of the money they will save !

Think of the future reductions on sailings from the savings !

Think of the all the extra passengers who will be able to go to cruising since the prices will have been reduced

Think of it no more snobbish posts:)

Well said. I don't like all the complaining either, as I fear Celebrity will just say enough is enough. No matter what we do we can't make them happy.

Archived