Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Dear Anni,

I can't thank you enough; your information helps so much.

Our flight August 29 departs at 12:45 from TXL. If we leave Schwerin at 9:00, am I allowing enough time to make our flight?

Dear Sue, The 8.48 from Schwerin arriving Berlin Hbf at 10.33 should be OK. The journey from the station to Tegel takes about 25 mins by express bus (about the same with a taxi) and check-in deadline is 30min before the flight for Air Berlin at Tegel.

Best regards, Anni

• 1 month later...

Anni,

Just a quick note to let you know that with your help and the many postings by you on here I just was able to purchase the tickets I needed for the train from Rostock to Hamburg and back during our one day docked in Rostock. I truly was a bit concerned but following your directions and being quite careful I got the ticket that allows up to 5 (or 2 in our case) to travel on Regional trains, what is also nice this ticket includes both the local trains in Rostock and Hamburg (I assume this includes the U-bahn trains in Hamburg as well, though I'm not sure of that)

So to Anni, a big thank you for all the help.

BNguy

P.S. We will be in Rostock on 5 June on Holland America's Rotterdam

Hi, Just updating some information for 2011.

Mecklenburg vor Pommern (MvP) Lander ticket.

The new prices are as follows:- 1st person €20 + €3 for each additional person up to maximum 5 people. ie ticket for 5 will cost €32.

This ticket is valid from 9am to 3am the following morning, Monday to Friday and 3am to 3am the following morning Saturday and Sunday.

It covers travel anywhere in Mecklenburg vor Pommern plus direct journeys from MvP to Hamburg or Lubeck (but not between Hamburg and Lubeck) and direct jouneys between MvP and Sczcezin in Poland. It is also valid on the city s-bahn systems in Rostock and Hamburg.

It can only be used on the Deutsche Bahn RE and RB trains (not valid on IC, EC or ICE ) and the privately operated OLA and Ostseebahn within MvP

The DB English website http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en is a clear and easily navigated source for times, fares, special offers etc.

Tip:- If you are travelling from Warnemünde by s-bahn to catch a connecting train in Rostock it may be better to take the s-bahn one earlier than that suggested in the timetble as Rostock station, although not very big, can be a bit confusing to a stranger.

Local Transport

Tickets are valid on all s-bahn trains, trams and buses within the area which includes Warnemünde, the City and the Port of Rostock.

A standard ticket, €1.70, is for a single journey between Warnemünde and the three stops (Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor) in the City centre. Even though you change from train to tram at the Central station you only need the one ticket.

You cannot purchase a return ticket as such, you must buy two separate tickets. The machine has no way of issuing a return and if you ask for a return in the office they will sell you a day ticket.

I tried a test booking on the website by entering a query for Rostock to Lubeck for 2 people. However I get the error message stating no connection available.

Is it hard to buy these tickets at the station? How crazy is the station in when 2000 cruise passengers are arriving warnemunde at the same time? Ideally, I would want to buy the ticket ahead of time so that we can just get on the train. IF we miss it, then we have to wait an hour and that will shorten the time in lubeck.

Thank you for your efforts. You make a huge difference!!!

First you have to understand the Lander tickets, reading deeper into them it appears you only need to make one booking (in other words from Rostock to Lubeck (which by the way has an umlaut u, meaning it has two dots above the u), the Lander ticket is then good on any train that is marked as an RE that day within the region you bought. You do not want to try and enter a return when buying your ticket as the system will not give you the good Lander ticket price. You still can use the system to check times etc and I was able to do so for your destination, see below

Ok, when you go to the http://www.bahn.de site, first thing is to switch to English by selecting from the drop down menu at the top right part of the page, select USA since that worked for me. Next fill in the departing station (Rostock) but then select from the drop down menu Rostock Hbf (which stands for Hauptbahnhof, or in English, Train station), then in the destination, start to enter Lubeck, in fact I only got the correct name to show up in the list when I fully typed Lubeck and then the Lubeck Hbf showed up. Mind you in the drop down list it will have the umlaut above the u, that's the key in this exercise.

Anni from Rostock might have a bit more to say but that is how I did it. I was able to buy tickets on line to go from Rostock to Hamburg when we are there in early June and if you are trying for any date more than 92 days in advance the system will not let you buy the tickets.

Hope this helps.

When you have looked up the trip and decide which schedule you want to go on, there will be an option to "Print your own ticket", you will go ahead and fill in your credit card information and the number of people etc. At the end you will get access to a PDF which you print out and take with you, it's your ticket, you will also get an email with the same information.

Hope this helps.

We will definitely be ahead of the crowd if we have printed our tickets ahead of time.

This ticket would not allow one to go to Berlin would it?

Hi Steve, this should work.

Open http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Choose 'OFFERS' in the top bar.

Choose 'Regional Tickets within Germany' > 'Lander Tickets'

> Book your ticket here

Select 'single ride'

Fill in the departure station Rostock Hbf (Rostock Main Station)

Fill in your destination, if the drop menu gives several stations for that town choose Hbf.

Fill in date ticket is required, (time of departure does not matter as this ticket can be used at any time after 9am weekdays, 1am weekends.)

Enter number of travellers

When selection of trains appears choose >purchase in Savings fares column.

Follow the prompts to buy and print out your ticket.

These tickets are always available (unlike some of the other specials) so there is no need to buy months ahead.

Please note that if you are travelling between Warnemuende and Rostock before 9am you will also need to purchase a local ticket from the machine on the station

To answer your question. You cannot go to Berlin on this ticket but if you buy a Brandenburg Lander ticket as well (in exactly the same way) the two together will take you to Berlin and also allow all day travel on the public transport in that city.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

We will definitely be ahead of the crowd if we have printed our tickets ahead of time.

This ticket would not allow one to go to Berlin would it?

Steve,

We are on the same NCL Sun cruise - June 22nd. We too are probably going to buy the lander ticket ahead of time, and are deciding between Wismar and Schwerin, or possibly Bad Doberan and the Molli train.

The only glitch you may encounter is that the local train from Warnemuende to Rostock leaves before 9 AM and will require a separate ticket. I do not know if you can buy that one ahead of time.

Hi Steve, this should work.

Open http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Choose 'OFFERS' in the top bar.

Choose 'Regional Tickets within Germany' > 'Lander Tickets'

> Book your ticket here

Select 'single ride'

Fill in the departure station Rostock Hbf (Rostock Main Station)

Fill in your destination, if the drop menu gives several stations for that town choose Hbf.

Fill in date ticket is required, (time of departure does not matter as this ticket can be used at any time after 9am weekdays, 1am weekends.)

Enter number of travellers

When selection of trains appears choose >purchase in Savings fares column.

Follow the prompts to buy and print out your ticket.

These tickets are always available (unlike some of the other specials) so there is no need to buy months ahead.

Please note that if you are travelling between Warnemuende and Rostock before 9am you will also need to purchase a local ticket from the machine on the station

To answer your question. You cannot go to Berlin on this ticket but if you buy a Brandenburg Lander ticket as well (in exactly the same way) the two together will take you to Berlin and also allow all day travel on the public transport in that city.

Anni

Hi Anni: I was looking at the train schedule you just posted. We are traveling to Rostock and on to Schwerin. We dock at 7:30 and hopefully can catch the 8:10 train to connect with the 9:05 to Schwerin. The next train to Schwerin is 11:07 which is pretty late.

I gather we must buy the ticket to Rostock along with the rest of the group taking the train and further buy the Lander Ticket in Rostock prior to taking the train to Schwerin.

Any ideas on how to accomplish the schedule

Thanks

Dave

Your input has been invaluable.

Hi Steve: I just read Bob's post indicating you are on the same cruise as he and I.

If you are interested in visiting Scherwin, we are planning on visiting there, back to Rostock and spending the evening at the port.

If I can catch the 8:10 am to Rostock, the rest is easy.

Schwerin has a castle,market and many churches. It is quite a picturesque town

Dave

Hi Anni: I was looking at the train schedule you just posted. We are traveling to Rostock and on to Schwerin. We dock at 7:30 and hopefully can catch the 8:10 train to connect with the 9:05 to Schwerin. The next train to Schwerin is 11:07 which is pretty late.

I gather we must buy the ticket to Rostock along with the rest of the group taking the train and further buy the Lander Ticket in Rostock prior to taking the train to Schwerin.

Any ideas on how to accomplish the schedule

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, the instructions in my previous post (your quote) refer to buying a Lander Ticket on-line whatever your destination or you could buy it on the platform in Rostock if you have allowed enough time; but you do have to buy your local ticket on the day, either from the machine or the ticket office, sorry! The train you mention is the best for a connection to the 9.07 to Schwerin but the next, 15 mins later, would get you there OK if you already have your ticket and you might even manage it with the one after that but it would be a very tight squeeze.

Anni

We will be coming to rostock this May on Celebrity Constellation and have friends from hamburg area that will be coming over to meet us. hat is the name of the actual port where the hips dock and where is a good, easy place to meet our friends? Any suggestions will be helpful!

We will be coming to rostock this May on Celebrity Constellation and have friends from hamburg area that will be coming over to meet us. hat is the name of the actual port where the hips dock and where is a good, easy place to meet our friends? Any suggestions will be helpful!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Am+Passagierkai&daddr=Am+Passagierkai%2FB103&geocode=FQulOgMdhom4AA%3BFZapOgMdjoS4AA&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=54.175209,12.093265&sspn=0.003617,0.009077&ie=UTF8&ll=54.175504,12.093228&spn=0.001809,0.004538&t=h&z=18

shows the angled dock of the cruise terminal. You could be on either of these 2 berths. You will come out through the grey roofed terminal building just below the green 'A'. I don't think your friends will be allowed to park in there, so choose the 'fall back' rendezvous of the on street parking bays at green 'B'.

Simon

As part of our cruise Warnemunde is a port. So far everyone on our cruise is heading into Berlin for the day. In the past we spent a fair amount of time in Berlin, so we don't plan to go there when we dock at Warnemunde. Rather we are planning to just spend a casual day walking through Warnemunde and Rostock. I'd like to take the train one way, but a boat the other. So far I haven't been able to find anything about boat charters between Warnemunde and Rostock. Does anyone have information regarding boat trips between the cities and can you point me to a web site?

Hi, As there will be 4 cruise ships in port on May 24th Celebrity Constellation WILL NOT berth at the Warnemuende Cruise Terminal as shown in the picture but in the Port of Rostock, berth LP41.

Are your friends travelling by car or train? Do they intend to meet you in Rostock or are you intending to travel to meet them?

The Port is reached easily by road, the A19 Berlin/Rostock runs directly into the heart of the port and there is plenty of parking around the berth.

Trains from Hamburg arrive at the Central Station which is connected to the port by s-bahn from Seehafen Nord.

Hope this helps but if you need more details please ask.

Anni

As part of our cruise Warnemunde is a port. So far everyone on our cruise is heading into Berlin for the day. In the past we spent a fair amount of time in Berlin, so we don't plan to go there when we dock at Warnemunde. Rather we are planning to just spend a casual day walking through Warnemunde and Rostock. I'd like to take the train one way, but a boat the other. So far I haven't been able to find anything about boat charters between Warnemunde and Rostock. Does anyone have information regarding boat trips between the cities and can you point me to a web site?

Hi, the boats which sail between Warnemünde and Rostock are on the river, about 100m from the cruise terminal building, after the cross river ferry but before the turning into the railway station. The quay in the city is on the harbour immediately below University Square.

This is a privately operated tour boat, principally offering a 100min tour of the port and views of Rostock from the river but passengers can get on and off in Rostock. The boats operate from 10.30am and there is a timetable published daily on a board at the berths in both Warnemünde and Rostock. The fare is €12 for the tour or €8 one way. The boat trip is a nice way to finish off a visit to Rostock.

To make the most of limited time is is better to take the train/tram into Rostock (€1.70] and return on the boat, last departure usually around 3.30pm, before spending the evening in Warnemuende - a little gem not to be missed.

The web site for the boat is http://www.blaue-flotte.de/ but unfortunately it is only in German at the moment.

Anni.

Hi, the boats which sail between Warnemünde and Rostock are on the river, about 100m from the cruise terminal building, after the cross river ferry but before the turning into the railway station. The quay in the city is on the harbour immediately below University Square.

This is a privately operated tour boat, principally offering a 100min tour of the port and views of Rostock from the river but passengers can get on and off in Rostock. The boats operate from 10.30am and there is a timetable published daily on a board at the berths in both Warnemünde and Rostock. The fare is €12 for the tour or €8 one way. The boat trip is a nice way to finish off a visit to Rostock.

To make the most of limited time is is better to take the train/tram into Rostock (€1.70] and return on the boat, last departure usually around 3.30pm, before spending the evening in Warnemuende - a little gem not to be missed.

The web site for the boat is http://www.blaue-flotte.de/ but unfortunately it is only in German at the moment.

Anni.

Thank you, I appreciate the information:D

As there will be 4 cruise ships in port on May 24th Celebrity Constellation WILL NOT berth at the Warnemuende Cruise Terminal as shown in the picture but in the Port of Rostock, berth LP41.

I knew I should have checked the cruise schedule first!!:rolleyes: Ah well, at least Anni has put you right!

Simon

Anni

I have read all your tremendously helpful posts, and all the alternatives sound great. However, we have our one day in May, off the Constellation (and I thank you for informing us that we will dock in Rostock, rather than Waremunde), and need to decide how best to spend it. We are six, very active adults, and we love to walk. Should we do Rostock and Schwerin? Or Rostock and Wismar? Or one of the other cities you've mentioned in your posts? We prefer to spend our time walking around towns, marketplaces, gardens, we're not that interested in spending our time indoors at churches or museums. Can you give me some advice? Thank you so much for all your advice.

Cherikm