Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni, from a fellow Aussie!

Rostock must be quite some place for you to have decided to stay there so we will look forward to visiting your adopted town.

We are embarking on our first cruise and are departing Amsterdam on May 20 on the Celebrity Constellation with Warnemunde being our first port of call.

At present, we plus another couple would like to travel by train to Rostock and on to Schwerin (to view the castle), then return to Rostock on the way back and and take our time having a look about before catching the train back to Warnemunde. We will be in port until nearly midnight (to enable a trip to Berlin to take place for those who have chosen to do that) so have plenty of time which is great.

My question is, if I was to purchase a day ticket (that covers all 4 of us) online, where I have to choose departure and return times of the trains, will it matter if we were to catch a different timed train if we were to miss one or decide to return earlier than planned? Meaning, will our ticket become void? I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Judy

Hi Judy, A Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket is valid on all Regional trains (those designated RE and RB in the time tables, the RED trains) between 9am and 3am the following day so when buying a ticket on-line you do not have to specify which trains you intend to use. When the site requests a time of departure this does not matter as long as it is 9:00 or later, it is simply a case of the site not letting you proceed further without a departure time.

Note that it says - 'Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown'

The step by step directions for puchasing a Lander ticket on-line are on my web site.

As you are scheduled to dock at 9:30 the first available train to Schwerin from Rostock Hbf will be the 11:07 and the timetable will propose taking the 10:32 s-bahn to Rostock from Warnemünde. This gives you 15mins to change trains in Rostock.

This is a bit cheeky but I will also be in Schwerin on 20th May and would love to meet some fellow Aussies. If you like I could meet you at the station and show you the way into town. If this is agreeable please drop me a line on anniellis13@gmail.com

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

This is a bit cheeky but I will also be in Schwerin on 20th May and would love to meet some fellow Aussies. If you like I could meet you at the station and show you the way into town. If this is agreeable please drop me a line on anniellis13@gmail.com

Hi Judy,

This should read I will also be in Schwerin on 22nd May .

Sorry for the mistake, only just had it pointed out that you leave Amsterdam on 20th which is, in any case, a Public Holiday in Germany so I cannot do business in Schwerin on that day.

Anni.

A Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket is valid on all Regional trains (those designated RE and RB in the time tables, the RED trains) between 9am and 3am the following day so when buying a ticket on-line you do not have to specify which trains you intend to use. When the site requests a time of departure this does not matter as long as it is 9:00 or later, it is simply a case of the site not letting you proceed further without a departure time.

Hi Anni - I'm sure you may have answered this before, but I couldn't find it. Are Lander tickets available to buy at the station or must they be purchased in advance?

Hi Anni - I'm sure you may have answered this before, but I couldn't find it. Are Lander tickets available to buy at the station or must they be purchased in advance?

Hi,

Länder tickets can be bought at any station, either from a ticket machine or from the ticket office but at the office there is an additional cost of 2euros. There is no limit on the number of Länder tickets available so it is quite safe to buy on the day.

Anni

Hi,

Länder tickets can be bought at any station, either from a ticket machine or from the ticket office but at the office there is an additional cost of 2euros. There is no limit on the number of Länder tickets available so it is quite safe to buy on the day.

Anni

Thanks Anni - We aren't sure exactly what we want to do yet, so keeping flexibility is good!

Hi again Anni,

Thanks for the info regarding transport from Warnemunde & Rostock to Schwerin. You state that the walk from Schwerin station to the castle is about 20mins. As we intend to be doing a fair bit of walking that day (Schwerin, Rostock, Warnemunde), is there any transport such a tram to the Castle in Schwerin? This would be good as then we would have the option of either being transported there and walking back to enjoy the scenery or vice versa.

Thanks,

Judy

Hi again Anni,

Thanks for the info regarding transport from Warnemunde & Rostock to Schwerin. You state that the walk from Schwerin station to the castle is about 20mins. As we intend to be doing a fair bit of walking that day (Schwerin, Rostock, Warnemunde), is there any transport such a tram to the Castle in Schwerin? This would be good as then we would have the option of either being transported there and walking back to enjoy the scenery or vice versa.

Thanks,

Judy

Hi Judy, unfortunately there are no tram or bus routes close to the castle - the nearest tram stop is Marienplatz, one stop from the main station in the heart of the modern shopping district. This would cut the walking distance roughly in half but waste a lot of time, waiting for a tram etc, and the walk to the castle is far less pleasant.

The castle is in the old town which is mostly pedestrian only. This is the usual way in German towns as the railways were built on the edges, in the newer districts, and often the older areas have been pedestrianised, especially in tourist orientated towns , with all public transport running around the outside. Rostock and Warnemünde are the same.

The official distance between the station and the castle is 1.25 klm, the first half along a lake promenade and the rest through the heart of the old town so it is a very pleasant walk.

Thanks for your e-mail. I will contact you nearer to 22nd May.

Anni

Hi Judy, unfortunately there are no tram or bus routes close to the castle - the nearest tram stop is Marienplatz, one stop from the main station in the heart of the modern shopping district.

Anni

Anni: When researching the trams in Schwerin, I found this route map. It shows a route 10 ( light blue ) which has a Schloss stop. I had believed that is the castle. Apparently not, so can you clarify? It is not a big deal but now you have me wondering.

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_12-13/buch/liniennetz.pdf

Anni: When researching the trams in Schwerin, I found this route map. It shows a route 10 ( light blue ) which has a Schloss stop. I had believed that is the castle. Apparently not, so can you clarify? It is not a big deal but now you have me wondering.

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_12-13/buch/liniennetz.pdf

Hi,

The route which you found is that of the No.10 bus which runs every 30 mins Mon - Fri, every hour on Saturday and has a very irregular service on Sunday and Public Holidays. I can assure that I did research this route but the reasons for not suggesting it are as follows.

Buses leave the bus station outside the Hauptbahnhof at 8 mins past and 38mins past the hour weekdays and on the hour on Saturdays. The train is scheduled to arrive from Rostock at 10:03 or12:03 (depending on which train you take). Supposing the train is on time, 5 mins is not really enough time to get from the platform to the bus station and find the correct bus even if you know which bus stand you want (there are at least 10 bus stands to choose from) and are fairly fleet of foot. Therefore the earliest bus would be the 38 mins past., a waiting time of about 25 mins in a very uninteresting bus station. The journey to the Schloss takes about 10mins. through the modern shopping area, arriving 10:50/12:50. The fare is 1.50 euros pp.

By walking straight from the station you reach the Schloss in under the 25 mins which you would spend waiting for the bus, around 10:30/12:30. I just felt that the saving of 25 mins was important when time is limited and the 'sights' are interesting even before reaching the Schloss.

If, at the end of the day you are very tired and still in the area of the Schloss, the return journey by bus would make more sense as the No 10 is the only bus to stop at the Schloss (just make sure you get the one going in the right direction!) The schedule is 23/53 mins past the hour Mon - Fri, 40 mins past the hour Saturday but it is advisable to check the schedule at the actual stop as there are a lot of road works in the shopping area at the moment and these affect some of the bus/tram schedules.

Anni

http://travelanni.webs.com

Hi,

The route which you found is that of the No.10 bus which runs every 30 mins Mon - Fri,

If, at the end of the day you are very tired and still in the area of the Schloss, the return journey by bus would make more sense as the No 10 is the only bus to stop at the Schloss. The schedule is 23/53 mins past the hour Mon - Fri, but it is advisable to check the schedule at the actual stop as there are a lot of road works in the shopping area at the moment and these affect some of the bus/tram schedules.

Anni

http://travelanni.webs.com

Anni, thank you for this information. It is exactly what I was looking for and had been unsuccessful finding it in English. Your suggestions and website have been very helpful, thank-you for all of your time and effort. We are planning our visit May 22 as part of our cruise.

Hello, Rostocker...our question is, what is a good way to get from Warnemunde to Berlin, where we will spend a few days after next April's cruise?

Thank you, Steve & Pete

Hi, Do you mean April 2013 or April 2014?

By road: There is a bus service but I have never heard anyone recommend it. Hiring a car one-way or a car and driver would no doubt be very expensive.

By rail:- If it is April 2013, the fastest and most direct way from Warnemünde to Berlin is the InterConnex train which leaves Warnemünde daily at 14:35 arriving Berlin Hbf at 17:03 - fare 27 euros pp. This is a private company which operates modern, comfortable trains and has a good reputation for service. By April 2014 the new ICE service may be up and running but at present DB find it hard to predict any timetable on this route even 3 months ahead so it is too early to tell.

Hope this helps

Anni

Anni, Thanx for quick response...our cruise is April of 2014. We signed up for the Princess transfers, just in case they might be a better choice. (It is easy to book them & cancel, but not easy to not book & then want them.) We each carry only one suitcase & a travel bag, so the Bahnhof should not be a problem. The Princess bus leaves you off at the airport rather than in the city.

Steve

Anni, Thanx for quick response...our cruise is April of 2014. We signed up for the Princess transfers, just in case they might be a better choice. (It is easy to book them & cancel, but not easy to not book & then want them.) We each carry only one suitcase & a travel bag, so the Bahnhof should not be a problem. The Princess bus leaves you off at the airport rather than in the city.

Steve

Hi, you may have seen it already but if not take a look at this thread, it discusses the same trip, although in reverse, with some price comparisons.

Copenhagen or Berlin as embarkation and disembarkation port?

Latest post was on March 21st.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

htpp://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Annie

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. You sure provide a wealth of information and are quite patient with all of the repeat questions. We will be on the Eurodam when it visits Warnemunde on Thursday, 13July. Our group of 4 plan to do the Schwerin day visit and I have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with. First, can the Lander Ticket be purchased in either Warnemunde station or Rostock Hbf. We're going to take the 9:07 train out of Rostock to Schwerin so would it be better to purchase the ticket in Warnemunde before we depart or in Rostock. We plan to take a 7:45 train from Warnemunde so we should have plenty of time in Rostock Hbf. I realize there is an extra 2 euro cost to purchase the ticket at the station rather than on line but I like the flexability of buying the ticket as late as possible. Thanks

Bob

Sorry, I meant to say the Eurodam will be in Warnemunde on 18July not 13July. Also, do you know where we might find wifi in Warnemunde or Rostock. I understand the problem with MacDonalds. Thanks in advance

Hello Annie

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. You sure provide a wealth of information and are quite patient with all of the repeat questions. We will be on the Eurodam when it visits Warnemunde on Thursday, 13July. Our group of 4 plan to do the Schwerin day visit and I have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with. First, can the Lander Ticket be purchased in either Warnemunde station or Rostock Hbf. We're going to take the 9:07 train out of Rostock to Schwerin so would it be better to purchase the ticket in Warnemunde before we depart or in Rostock. We plan to take a 7:45 train from Warnemunde so we should have plenty of time in Rostock Hbf. I realize there is an extra 2 euro cost to purchase the ticket at the station rather than on line but I like the flexability of buying the ticket as late as possible. Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob, thankyou for your appreciation, it makes all my efforts worthwhile.

You can buy the Lander ticket at ANY station either from a machine at the same price as on-line or the ticket office paying the extra 2 euros. The machines are easy to use as they have an English option.

There is WiFi in the cafe behind the book shop on the station at Warnemunde. In Rostock you can find WiFi in the large bookshop 'Weiland' in the Kropeliner Strasse, in the cafe opposite the Kropeliner Tor and in the Library in Kropeliner Strasse. I'm sure there are other places, the best people to ask are members of the crew, they know them all in every port!

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni, Thanks for the quick reply. During our visit to Europe last summer I found out the hard way that most transit ticket machines only accept the European credit card with an embedded chip. I guess this technology hasn't reached the USA yet. The only credit card type I have is the type that requires a signature on the receipt. Do you know if the machine will accept Euros. If so, what denomination should I plan on having with me.

After our visit to Warnemunde the Eurodam will be in Kiel on Friday 19 July from 7:00am to 5:00pm. In a previous post you recommended visiting Lubeck. There are 4 in our party and if we purchase a Lander ticket the best train connection to Lubeck from Kiel is 9:04am departure, arrive Lubeck 10:32am. The return to Kiel would be: depart Lubeck 14:05, arrive Kiel 15:15. There is another return train an hour later but I'm reluctant to cutting it that close as the ship departs Kiel at 5:00 and we will need time to get from Kiel Hbf to the ship. Anyway, this allows us 3 1/2 hours in Lubeck. Is this enough time to see the city and also have a nice lunch. Or do you think we should just hang out in Kiel and walk around the central city area. Any thoughts? Thanks much--Bob

Hi Anni, Thanks for the quick reply. During our visit to Europe last summer I found out the hard way that most transit ticket machines only accept the European credit card with an embedded chip. I guess this technology hasn't reached the USA yet. The only credit card type I have is the type that requires a signature on the receipt. Do you know if the machine will accept Euros. If so, what denomination should I plan on having with me.

After our visit to Warnemunde the Eurodam will be in Kiel on Friday 19 July from 7:00am to 5:00pm. In a previous post you recommended visiting Lubeck. There are 4 in our party and if we purchase a Lander ticket the best train connection to Lubeck from Kiel is 9:04am departure, arrive Lubeck 10:32am. The return to Kiel would be: depart Lubeck 14:05, arrive Kiel 15:15. There is another return train an hour later but I'm reluctant to cutting it that close as the ship departs Kiel at 5:00 and we will need time to get from Kiel Hbf to the ship. Anyway, this allows us 3 1/2 hours in Lubeck. Is this enough time to see the city and also have a nice lunch. Or do you think we should just hang out in Kiel and walk around the central city area. Any thoughts? Thanks much--Bob

Hi Bob, as you discovered most ticket machines only accept the 'chip and pin' type card. Why the US banks do not follow the UK, most of Europe and Australasia and adopt this extra secure type of card is beyond me. Maybe someone could explain!

The ticket machines accept Euros and give change. Most machines accept 5 and 10 euro notes and some accept 20 euro notes if you are making a larger purchase but to be on the safe side I would carry mostly 5 euro notes. If the machine rejects the note (very seldom) try turning it around and make sure it does not have any turned-over corners.

It is a great pity that you would only have 3.5 hours in Kiel. I think it would be a bit rushed especially if you want to have lunch there. I agree that the later train would be cutting it too fine.

This was the answer I gave on an other thread to the question 'what to do in Kiel'. Maybe it would interest you too. There are some very nice restaurants in the little town of Laboe. I had lunch overlooking the beach, not far from the ferry terminal.

A very nice ferry ride from Kiel towards the Baltic is La Boe, a small, charming seaside town with a nice beach. But the main interest here is the

Laboe Naval Memorial . Started in 1927 and completed in 1936 as a monument to the World l war dead of the Kaiserliche Marine.

After Germany's surrender in May 1945, the Marine-Ehrenmal was confiscated by the British occupation forces. However, it was not destroyed as other military memorials, being dedicated as a personal tribute to German naval war losses. As the British Military Administration stated, the memorial did not “glorify war and the spirit of aggression, but belongs to those whose intention is a personal tribute to the seamen who died for their country.”

The Kreigsmarine dead of World War II were added and in 1954 it was returned to the German Naval Association and rededicated to commemorate the sailors of all nationalities who died during the World Wars.

The monument consists of a 72-metre high tower with an observation deck 85 m above sea level. Underneath is the Hall of Rememberance. This is a very special place of pilgrimage to people of many nationalities (including myself) who lost family at sea during a war. http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/geschichte_me.htm the page is in English

Part of the complex is a naval museum and the grounds feature various artifacts including the World War II-era German Submarine U-955, the world's only remaining type VII U boat, which is open to the public. http://www.warmuseums.nl/gal/061gal.htm

Traditionally every ship passing the Memorial (and there are dozens every day going to and from the Canal) dips its flag in salute as this is the only memorial in the world to commemorate ALL sailors of ALL nations.

However it is by no means a grim place. The setting is beautiful and both the exterior and interior architecture is unusual and interesting. The little town is very pleasant with cafes and restaurants as well as the usual shops for souvenirs.

There is a regular ferry service between the Bahnhof (quite close to the Cruise Terminal) and La Boe. The ride takes an hour through the sheltered waters of the fijord. More details at http://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/index.php

FYI re the information about WIFI in Warnemunde. I was there yesterday and found to my dismay that the cafe behind the bookshop is no more. However, information from the tourist office is that the area around the lighthouse has good reception and Guido's in the market place has WIFI if you buy a coffee but asking the crew is still the best bet!

Anni

Thanks Anni Actually the first plan was to be in Lubeck for the 3.5 hours. The Eurodam is actually in Kiel for 10 hours but with the 2.5 to 3 hour train trip and the Lander ticket restriction we would only have 3.5 hours in Lubeck. Laboe sounds like a great alternative. The wife however is still pushing for Lubeck so we probably won't make any decisions until the last minute. Thanks for your help--Bob

Thanks Anni Actually the first plan was to be in Lubeck for the 3.5 hours. The Eurodam is actually in Kiel for 10 hours but with the 2.5 to 3 hour train trip and the Lander ticket restriction we would only have 3.5 hours in Lubeck. Laboe sounds like a great alternative. The wife however is still pushing for Lubeck so we probably won't make any decisions until the last minute. Thanks for your help--Bob

Hi Bob, of course I meant 3.5 hours in Lübeck (slip of the fingers again!) but I still think that it is a long trip for such a short visit. In Lübeck the station is quite a hike from the city, as is usual in old German towns. There is a bus service but not very frequent. The main problem in your case is your afternoon departure from Kiel, it is very 'do-able' trip with an evening departure. I hope you can find a solution which suits you both.

Anni

After our visit to Warnemunde the Eurodam will be in Kiel on Friday 19 July from 7:00am to 5:00pm. In a previous post you recommended visiting Lubeck. There are 4 in our party and if we purchase a Lander ticket the best train connection to Lubeck from Kiel is 9:04am departure, arrive Lubeck 10:32am. The return to Kiel would be: depart Lubeck 14:05, arrive Kiel 15:15.

Bob,

although I am from Kiel originelly I would recommend going to Lübeck for 4 or 5 hrs.

Why don´t you leave Kiel on the 7:44 or 8:44 RE train being 1:08 h later in Lübeck.

The return could be either 14:06 or 14:28 arrive in Kiel 15:15 or 15:55, which gives time enough to get to the ship.

Four or five hours in Lübeck gives you plenty of time.

It´s 5 min. to the ship by taxi or a 20 min. walk along the harbour side.

Peter

Edited by Kruizefan

Hi Kruizefan, Thanks for the input. I guess I was looking at the ticket prices for the train to Lubeck and return. If we take the earlier trains we will have to purchase regular tickets however if wait until after 9:00am we can use a 4 person Lander ticket. I calculate the difference to be close to 32 Euro total. The big question therefore is an extra 1.5 hours in Lubeck worth the extra 40 to 45 bucks. I guess considering what we have invested in this 3 week cruise this really is a pittance. A decision probably won't be made until just before we arrive in Kiel but it's good to know all your options. Thanks again for the advise--Bob

Hi Bob, I think you will find the cost difference is a bit more than 32 euros. :(

Standard Ticket one way for one person 17 euros = 34 euros return.

Total standard return tickets for 4 persons = 136 euros

Lander ticket for 4 persons = 36 euros.

A difference of 100 euros! :eek:

Thanks for the correction, Anni. I don't think and extra 1.5 hoursw in Lubeck is worth 100 euros. Besides, I like your Laboe Naval Memorial suggestion. I'd really like to see the U-boat. thanks again for all of your help--Bob