Nassau Water Taxis - BEWARE

maddmaxx

Living in the shadow of Port Canveral affords my wife and I the opportunity to take advantage of RCCL's good rates and decent service and take frequent rides over to Nassau... always have enjoyed the Water Taxi ride over to Paradise Island however, during our two most recent trips, I have noticed the taxis now include the service (whether you want it or not) of a self-annoited narrator who claims not to be on anyone's payroll and works for tips. Said narrator blabbers on and on about who lives where and the prowess of conch salad on the male libido.

Oddly enough our narrator/guide during our last two trips turned out to be the same guy... Bobby. The first ride with Bobby was enjoyable and entertaining and we gladly coughed up a buck for his trouble. Second ride, last week, was not so good. In a nutshell, when it got to the pass the hat stage of the ride, Bobby got upset when three Japanese gentlemen declinded to give him money. He openly harassed and berated them for three or four minutes to the point it was making the surrounding passengers uncomfortable. Had this occured on the mainland I would have reported this incident to law enforcement. It was one step short of extortion.

Something to keep in mind should you jump on a Nassau water taxi... funny, you get the same speil on the trip back... another buck... no big deal when it's asked for correctly.

Also worth mentioning... the Taxi terminal has moved from it's nice digs to under the bridge across the street. It the water is rough the boarding process is extremely dicey for the elderly, out of shape, or those traveling with young children. Actually, it's dangerous.

None of this is a RCCL issue but worth mentioning should you find yourself heading to that part of the world on one of their ships. Kudos to the cruise line... the Monarch is showing her age but still provides a great ride for a quick three or four day getaway and the crew does a great job in taking care of you.

We just returned from Nassau. Normally we take a land taxi. This was the first, and last, time we took a water taxi. It docks so far from Atlantis that if you have anyone elderly or disabled person (we did) you'll need to catch a regular cab to get to Atlantis. Another dollar (or 2) on top of the $3 to get there and the shake down tip. I think I'll stick to the regular land taxi.

There are many travel blogs that have been reporting that about the water taxis for years. The scam must be getting even worse, as I am hearing about it more. The same very obnoxious loud mouth doing the same thing, but getting more demanding.

Supposedly the "tour guide" does not work for the water taxi, and yet they demand the money for every ride. Me thinks something is "fishy" with the taxi boats, and it's not the fish you are traveling over in the water below you that stinks! :eek:

I am also "in the shadow of Port Canaveral"... (cute! :) ) and am boarding for another tour on the Monarch on Friday. Maybe Bobby needs to take a swimming lesson. ;)

We've experienced the friendly little water taxi narration and hat passing several times. My worst qualms about the water taxis are not the narration and tip coercion, but my serious doubts about the safety of these water taxis. I am not convinced these rickety boats are truly sea worthy. Also the boarding process is risky as was mentioned above.

There's another matter too. These boats don't travel until they are full. If you board first, be aware that you may have to sit quite some time in the heat and rocking boat until the captain is convinced he has gathered as many passengers as will come. We once witnessed a near riot on the boat as some angry Bahamainas demanded the captain finally take off. I did not like the situation at all.

Hubby thinks the picturesque boats are fun, but I have had my fill of them. The taxi is only slightly more comfortable, but at least the taxi drops you at the door of the Atlantis hotel.

We've experienced the friendly little water taxi narration and hat passing several times. My worst qualms about the water taxis are not the narration and tip coercion, but my serious doubts about the safety of these water taxis. I am not convinced these rickety boats are truly sea worthy. Also the boarding process is risky as was mentioned above.

There's another matter too. These boats don't travel until they are full. If you board first, be aware that you may have to sit quite some time in the heat and rocking boat until the captain is convinced he has gathered as many passengers as will come. We once witnessed a near riot on the boat as some angry Bahamainas demanded the captain finally take off. I did not like the situation at all.

Hubby thinks the picturesque boats are fun, but I have had my fill of them. The taxi is only slightly more comfortable, but at least the taxi drops you at the door of the Atlantis hotel.

Agree! In my opinion the boats appear to be unsafe, they overload them, you sit and wait breathing in diesel fumes etc. On our trip we had a 12 year old navigating the boat while his dad the captain talked to passengers. I take a air condition cab now.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be prepared with a couple of dollar bills for Bobby or his cohorts. I think we're stuck with taking the water taxi though. We're traveling with our baby, and taking a land taxi would entail lugging her car seat around all day.

What is the price diff. between the water and the land taxis?

Ditto that question, I am considering a cruise that will take me to Nassau for the 4th time and I may consider going over to Atlantis, just to see what the fuss is about and just walk around.

Ditto that question, I am considering a cruise that will take me to Nassau for the 4th time and I may consider going over to Atlantis, just to see what the fuss is about and just walk around.

From what I recall it was only $2 more like around $6 to take the taxi and the taxi is much faster!

From what I recall it was only $2 more like around $6 to take the taxi and the taxi is much faster!

But not near the adventure.... Yo Ho me Mateys! I see pirates avast! ;) :eek:

We will be taking the extreme adventure challenge this Saturday...just to know that we could.

If pirate Bobby does not behave himself, he will be walking the plank....Arrrggggg! :D :D

Hmm, we must have gotten lucky with the water taxi we took last year then. We weren't hassled for tips and I don't believe we ever did tip the guy.

Really, I think the worst part of these taxis is having to sit for any prolonged period of time inhaling the diesel fumes...

We were in Nassau over the weekend and also took the water taxi to and from PAradise Island. Our "narrator" was named Jerry..... He also expected tips... I didn't see him harrass anyone if they didn't tip him but most people were tipping him... My husband and I also had SERIOUS concerns about safety... Weren't even sure if there were life jackets on board.... the boats were extremly overloaded and on one of them the top deck had a weathered railing that looked as if it would break if leaned on.... I was ok with it as we are both good swimmers and are reasonably fit... I would not consider this option again in the company of our children our if we were with elderly, unfit people.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be prepared with a couple of dollar bills for Bobby or his cohorts. I think we're stuck with taking the water taxi though. We're traveling with our baby, and taking a land taxi would entail lugging her car seat around all day.

Just curious, why would you need to take the car seat?

vw

I am working on.. which would be more dangerous (A) take a baby on an boat that may not be seaworthy and probably has NO infant life perservers or (B) to hold them in a car. Honestly, it's a toss up between choices I don't think I would want to have to make! But.... the car MIGHT be marginally safer?

I am working on.. which would be more dangerous (A) take a baby on an boat that may not be seaworthy and probably has NO infant life perservers or (B) to hold them in a car. Honestly, it's a toss up between choices I don't think I would want to have to make! But.... the car MIGHT be marginally safer?

Good point. I hadn't considered the possibility of no infant life preservers.

We just took the water taxi on Saturday. It was so disorganized, the boats looked like they could sink at any moment and the "unpaid" tour guide gave me a headache. The walk to Atlantis from where they dropped us off was not well marked and would be far for someone who is out of shape.We paid for round trip ticket, but ended up getting a land taxi back. I do not recommend the water taxi. In theory, it sounds fun and romantic. In practice, it's a crowded, loud boat.

We took the water taxi to Paradise Island back in January. We were one of the first few on the boat. We had to wait about 40 minutes for the boat to fill up, all the while inhaling the awful diesel fumes. I was getting madder by the minute while we waited. We finally took off and when we got to Paradise Island, it was very confusing as to how to get to the front entrance to the Atlantis. (And we'd already been there a couple of years earlier, but by regular taxi) We did experience the passing of the hat, but I chose not to donate. :rolleyes:

In a few weeks when we go back to Nassau, I will be taking a regular taxi to Paradise Island...NOT the water taxi. Once was enough for me!! :eek:

• 1 month later...
Living in the shadow of Port Canveral affords my wife and I the opportunity to take advantage of RCCL's good rates and decent service and take frequent rides over to Nassau... always have enjoyed the Water Taxi ride over to Paradise Island however, during our two most recent trips, I have noticed the taxis now include the service (whether you want it or not) of a self-annoited narrator who claims not to be on anyone's payroll and works for tips. Said narrator blabbers on and on about who lives where and the prowess of conch salad on the male libido.

Oddly enough our narrator/guide during our last two trips turned out to be the same guy... Bobby. The first ride with Bobby was enjoyable and entertaining and we gladly coughed up a buck for his trouble. Second ride, last week, was not so good. In a nutshell, when it got to the pass the hat stage of the ride, Bobby got upset when three Japanese gentlemen declinded to give him money. He openly harassed and berated them for three or four minutes to the point it was making the surrounding passengers uncomfortable. Had this occured on the mainland I would have reported this incident to law enforcement. It was one step short of extortion.

Something to keep in mind should you jump on a Nassau water taxi... funny, you get the same speil on the trip back... another buck... no big deal when it's asked for correctly.

Also worth mentioning... the Taxi terminal has moved from it's nice digs to under the bridge across the street. It the water is rough the boarding process is extremely dicey for the elderly, out of shape, or those traveling with young children. Actually, it's dangerous.

None of this is a RCCL issue but worth mentioning should you find yourself heading to that part of the world on one of their ships. Kudos to the cruise line... the Monarch is showing her age but still provides a great ride for a quick three or four day getaway and the crew does a great job in taking care of you.

Maddmaxx, thanks for this valuable tip. This will be our first time in Nassau (Feb 2011) and we plan to take a regular taxi. Sorry you had to go through that, even sorrier for those other tourists! :eek:

We just returned from Nassau. Normally we take a land taxi. This was the first, and last, time we took a water taxi. It docks so far from Atlantis that if you have anyone elderly or disabled person (we did) you'll need to catch a regular cab to get to Atlantis. Another dollar (or 2) on top of the $3 to get there and the shake down tip. I think I'll stick to the regular land taxi.

Hi Patty, thanks for your tip too. I have a sprained ankle and heel pain and the regular taxi sounds just right to eliminate any additional walking I'll already be doing!

So the regular taxi is about $4 per person?

Also just curious why taxis on the islands charge per person instead of per car?

Thanks!

I've done both and would vote for the land taxi(easier and much faster to Atlantis). From what I can figure, the taxi--car, van, or whatever is next in line, is much like the boat--they are going to try to fill it up at $4.00 per person. We rode over to Paradise Island in a van and there were at least twelve people in it. On the way back, we were in a regular cab with the four of us. It is posted right on the cab stand(actually, it says $4.00 for the first two people and $3.00 for additional riders to Paradise Island). If I rode on the water taxi again, I would just go one way from Paradise Island back to the cruise dock. It seemed alot more low key on the way back. The spiel was the same because we wondered if all of the "independent guides" had the same information and whether or not it was all true.

Archived