cruise ship excursions or private tour or on our own in Greece and Turkey

zippyhess

Can anyone make suggestions whether a private tour/ship excursion should be taken in Dikill, Turkey; Kusadasi, Mykonos, Rhodes, Patnos or Mylos? Or should we just take a cab and have them ride us around? Also, do you know if any of these places are close to the port? Thanks.:o

What are your areas of interest? We did a private tour this September in Kusadisi to Ephesus with a company called Ephesus Deluxe and were very pleased -we saved about half over a ships tour. There is lots of shopping within a walk that we did after the tour. Rhodes is a short walk from the ship too-we visited Lindos on a ship;s tour but if you just want to visit the cute town, walk around and shop you do not need a tour-just walk! Have not been to the other places but generally I do NOT get cabs off the ships as cab drivers are not tour guides!

If you mean Patmos, you can just take a cab to see the grotto and monastery unless you really want to learn some history, etc...in that case take the ship's tour. Cab is 35 Euros.

In Kusadasi, we had a custom tour with Vantage Travel Service

http://vanguard-ts.com/

Ephesus is about 45 minutes from the port

(My port review: http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2010/11/cruise-port-review-ephesus-kusadasi-and.html)

Can anyone make suggestions whether a private tour/ship excursion should be taken in Dikill, Turkey; Kusadasi, Mykonos, Rhodes, Patnos or Mylos? Or should we just take a cab and have them ride us around? Also, do you know if any of these places are close to the port? Thanks.:o

The only ports that I can relate to are Mykonos, where we did our own thing. Even if you want to go to Delos, there are private tours available from where the tender boats dock. I believe Kusadasi is close to Ephesus, which I would recommend taking either a ship excursion or a local tour, since the distance from port is significant.

Can anyone make suggestions whether a private tour/ship excursion should be taken in Dikill, Turkey; Kusadasi, Mykonos, Rhodes, Patnos or Mylos? Or should we just take a cab and have them ride us around? Also, do you know if any of these places are close to the port? Thanks.

We've been in Kusadasi/Ephesus, Mykonos, Patmos and Milos. You can "get by" on your own, kind of, maybe. Much depends on your budget, travel style and what/how much you want to see and do. Cruise tours are not always the best, but they do help solve certain logistical issues, giving you a "resource" to answer questions, explaining what you are seeing, etc. The cute village in Mykonos is very easy on your own. If you want to see more of the countryside/shoreside areas on Milos, it will require some transportation, hence a reason to use a ship tour. On some of these small islands your transportation options can be a little limited, especially if you're there when several ships hit there at the same time. There is some distance between docking at Kusadasi and getting Ephesus. Public transportation might be possible, but it is not always time-efficient. Lots of trade-offs and factors to consider, including how much your time is worth and how much you want to see and do. Below are some of my visual samples for what is there to experience in these great places. Great and interesting areas!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now nearly 26,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Overlooking the harbor in Patmos with a large ship there, the surrounding hills, etc.:

PatmosHarbShip.jpg

Inside the church part of the Holy Monastery of St. John in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, near the famed cave of St. John. It is part of a complex with a nice museum and art collection:

PatmosChurch.jpg

At Ephesus, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

thanks so much for all of that information, we appreciate your input and advice. By any chance, did you go to Istanbul as well? The pictures are very nice.

Yes, we visited Istanbul at the end of our cruise. Had two full days there. Loved everything about Istanbul. We had a private guide and saw so much. You can do it on your own, but our private guides worked so well as we could do, see and experience more, plus understand what we were seeing, why and how. Below are a few Istanbul visual samples.

As you are new to these boards, here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now ocwe 26,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Our first views of Istanbul from our just docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, now a museum in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

For Istanbul’s Blue Mosque, here is a longer, overall shot of its carpets where people still pray on a daily basis:

IstBlMosWide.jpg

Outside of new mid 1800’s Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

Inside the Spice Market in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-SpiceMark2.jpg

One of the many Istanbul outdoor dining places in the historic area. This is Albura in the heart of Akbiyik Caddesi, a mostly-pedestrian street in Sultanahmet's prime boutique hotel, restaurant and cafe district:

IstOutdoorDine.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Terry,

I loved seeing the pics of Istanbul. Do you think an American could get away with bringing some ground spices back home?

When you visited the mosque, did women need to have their heads covered? Did you have to remove your shoes?

Thanks for your expertise!

Linda

The spices come vacuum sealed and were not a problem for me getting into Canada. However get them to label them!!! I did not and had to do some guessing as two of them were mixtures!

Yes you need to cover your head at mosques. At the Blue Mosque they provide covers if you do not have one. I just used my own silk scarf. You do remove your shoes. I think we carried them, but I honestly forget. It was not a problem.

Terry,

I loved seeing the pics of Istanbul. Do you think an American could get away with bringing some ground spices back home?

When you visited the mosque, did women need to have their heads covered? Did you have to remove your shoes?

Thanks for your expertise!

Linda

Although I'm not Terry, I can answer your questions....:)

You can bring back spices if they are vacuum packed/sealed. The merchants know what you can/can't take.

In most mosques in Istanbul (especially in the tourist area) including this one, you do not need to cover your head. However, every mosque will make you take off your shoes. Thus, it's a good idea to wear socks or at least have a pair with you to put on.

Terry, I loved seeing the pics of Istanbul. Do you think an American could get away with bringing some ground spices back home? When you visited the mosque, did women need to have their heads covered? Did you have to remove your shoes? Thanks for your expertise! Linda

THANKS, Linda, for the nice comments on the pictures! Linda is my sister's name. Good name!

YES, we bought at the Spice Market and took back some saffron for our son, the guy who loves to cook. No problems. At the mosques, they had head coverings for women to wear while inside and you took off your shoes and carried them. That was for the Blue Mosque which is still used for daily religious activities. Hagia Sophia is a museum, now, not requiring those requirements as I re-call.

Below are a few more visuals from this great city. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,560 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

To enter Istanbul’s Blue Mosque, you pass through historic stone work to get closer and then go into this vast building:

IstBlMosEnter.jpg

A view inside the “new” mid 1800’s Palace used by Sultans:

1A-Istbul-NewPalace1.jpg

Night dining from a rooftop table is such fun in Istanbul and can provide great views of nearby mosques. We dined twice in the Akbiyik Caddesi, pedestrian street area in the Sultanahmet:

1A-Istbul-NightDining.jpg

Remember the James Bond film? Here’s the underground cistern of Istanbul:

1A-Istanbul-Cistern.jpg

Taking a boat cruise up the Bosphorus provides many interesting views and sampling of life for areas other than the core, historic parts of main Istanbul. The strategic importance of the Bosporus and the Dardanelles remains high, and control over it has been an objective of a number of hostilities in modern history.

BosphBridgeNofIstanbul.jpg

Many different boats are docked in Istanbul with great mosques and other unique architecture in the background:

IstBoatsDocked.jpg

I've been in the Blue Mosque 3 times (2006, 2008, and just recently in September 2010) and never had to don a head cover. Have I just been lucky?

Yes, I think you're 100% right, Cynthia. Went back and checked my pictures from late June 2006. Plus, as I think about it more, it was only taking the shoes off, not covering the head. Sorry! Have visited lots and lots of churches in Europe and in considering more, I don't think any required the head covering. A few churches might have required those wearing shorts to place some type of covering on your legs.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,650 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

In Kusadasi, you are going to want to see Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. By whatever means.

Super agree that both Ephesus and the Terrace Houses are wonderful. But going back to the original question of "whether a private tour/ship excursion" you will need that logistical help to get from the port to this Ephesus site. Below are a couple more visuals from this hugely historic site.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,650 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

At Ephesus, architectural details on its famed library building:

LibraryDetails.jpg

A smaller temple at Ephesus:

EphSmTemple.jpg

A closer view of a carved stone piece at Ephesus:

EphStoneAngl.jpg

Yes, I think you're 100% right, Cynthia. Went back and checked my pictures from late June 2006. Plus, as I think about it more, it was only taking the shoes off, not covering the head. Sorry! Have visited lots and lots of churches in Europe and in considering more, I don't think any required the head covering. A few churches might have required those wearing shorts to place some type of covering on your legs.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

thanks Terry, I was starting to wonder if I was in a parallel universe on my visits! ;)

We took the public bus from Rhodes to Lindos. And we took the bus to the monastery in Patmos. Had a good walk coming back down the mountain.

Just telling you so you know it's possible and quite easy.

We seldom feel the need for a guide because we do some reading and research before we go.

Cheers - Dee

Taking a boat cruise up the Bosphorus, sounds like a great idea. Can you give more details of your boat tour? Loved all the nice pictures. Thanks:)!

THANKS for the kind comments on the pictures! It's been great and wonderful fun sharing. We had a wonderful private guide for two days at the end of our Greek Isles-Turkish Coast cruise. One of our activities, among many, was boarding a regular boat (acting like a bus) that goes up and down that area. We rode up/north on that commuter ship, got off in a residential area, had a little ice cream treat there in that area and took public transportation back. That gave us more of a feel for "regular" Istanbul and allowed us to see more in this large and fast-growing city of 15 million people. It allowed more time to talk, ask questions, learn about Istanbul and Turkey, etc. Our guide was Lale Kosagan. We communicate in advance on our various options of things to see and do. We wanted to see all of the key tourist attractions, plus more that gave a flavor for this charming and historic city. She was super wonderful and works with her husband, Kagan. You can check them out and contact them at:

http://www.tourguidesinturkey.com

Does this help? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,250 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Here's another view from taking a boat cruising up the Bosphorus, seeing the high-end housing along this waterway. We weren't in this boat shown, just watched it go by as we moved north on our commuter ship.

BosphNorOfIstanbul.jpg

• 3 months later...
Yes, we visited Istanbul at the end of our cruise. Had two full days there. Loved everything about Istanbul. We had a private guide and saw so much. You can do it on your own, but our private guides worked so well as we could do, see and experience more, plus understand what we were seeing, why and how. Below are a few Istanbul visual samples.

As you are new to these boards, here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now ocwe 26,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Our first views of Istanbul from our just docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, now a museum in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

For Istanbul’s Blue Mosque, here is a longer, overall shot of its carpets where people still pray on a daily basis:

IstBlMosWide.jpg

Outside of new mid 1800’s Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

Inside the Spice Market in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-SpiceMark2.jpg

One of the many Istanbul outdoor dining places in the historic area. This is Albura in the heart of Akbiyik Caddesi, a mostly-pedestrian street in Sultanahmet's prime boutique hotel, restaurant and cafe district:

IstOutdoorDine.jpg

We will be in Istanbul this summer at the end of our cruise on Windsurf. Who was your private guide?

We will be in Istanbul this summer at the end of our cruise on Windsurf. Who was your private guide?

We used Lale Kosagan. She was super wonderful. She and her husband, Kagan, operate their business together. You can reach them through these options: kosagan@yahoo.com http://www.privatetoursinturkey.com
, http://www.tourguidesinturkey.com,http://www.toursinistanbul.com
, http://www.ksgtours.com

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,350 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Archived