Muster

LindaKE

We've had Muster in comfortable lounges on Princess and something similar but less comfortable on Carnival. Our last Muster was standing on deck near our life boat on NCL. What type of Muster does HAL do? I did see that you're no longer required to take life preservers.

Thanks in advance!

It wasn't the worst thing in the world....

No life jackets, no long speeches. Takes about 15 minutes out of your day.... and I prefer to know EXACTLY where my lifeboat is....

OK, so I saw "Titanic" too many times :D

Just wondering, is that true of Vista/Signature ships as well? I know on Queen Victoria it was done in public rooms and sometimes the muster location is a function of the ship design.

Roy

Different cruise line - even if somewhat simlar ship. ;)

All the HAL ships (so far) require you go to the station.

It is much quicker than it used to be and yes, you do not have to take your life jacket. Although it is a pain, I like it. If something happens, I want to know where to go. It is well done, quick and painless and then you cruise :):)

I'm going on my first cruise in a few days and I have a question about the muster. A few of you mentioned going to your lifeboat station, but how do you know where your lifeboat station is? Is it based on your room location? Is a diagram or instructions posted somewhere?

I'm going on my first cruise in a few days and I have a question about the muster. A few of you mentioned going to your lifeboat station, but how do you know where your lifeboat station is? Is it based on your room location? Is a diagram or instructions posted somewhere?

You cannot get lost.

There is a number on your cabin key... this is your lifeboat number.

An announcement will be made as to when to make your way to the appropriate deck, and which deck that is.

There are "traffic directors" all over the place that will ask you what your number is and show you where to go...

It must be an idiotproof system...I made it... :D

Your lifeboat/muster station is listed on the outside of your lifevest. And, Yes, it is also posted on a small diagram/map located on the inside of your stateroom - Enjoy your first cruise!

You cannot get lost.

There is a number on your cabin key... this is your lifeboat number.

An announcement will be made as to when to make your way to the appropriate deck, and which deck that is.

There are "traffic directors" all over the place that will ask you what your number is and show you where to go...

It must be an idiotproof system...I made it... :D

On the cabin key is good--since I'll be carrying that with me. Glad it's idiotproof so I, too, can make it. :D

Your lifeboat/muster station is listed on the outside of your lifevest. And, Yes, it is also posted on a small diagram/map located on the inside of your stateroom - Enjoy your first cruise!

Ok--so where's the lifevest? I'm assuming in my room?? Are they the same ones used on aircraft? Guess I'll check the diagram/map when I get to my cabin (gee, just like a hotel room with the exit signs on the back of the door--that makes sense).

Ok--so where's the lifevest? I'm assuming in my room?? Are they the same ones used on aircraft? Guess I'll check the diagram/map when I get to my cabin (gee, just like a hotel room with the exit signs on the back of the door--that makes sense).

Can't miss em.... in one of your closets, usually on the top shelves. Bright orange thingies...

Good to see you, Copper. :)

I'm so glad we don't have to wear the life jackets to muster anymore. Like KK said, they were accidents waiting to happen. Cords dragging, and hard to see over the bulky jackets. Much better now, quick and painless. :D

I think I'll like this Muster better than Princess. While I did appreciate sitting in a comfortable lounge and meeting the people sitting next to us (who happen to live in the next county!) I imagine there would be a little more chaos not physically finding out, together, where we're supposed to go if, God forbid, we'd need our lifeboats.

And it'll be a great photo op. :D

We have no trouble or problems with HAL's muster drill. It's nice not to have to haul the life jacket along but even that wasn't that big of an issue. Having been in a real life threatening situation a few years ago where people did indeed die or were injured I can say that things don't necessarily go like planned or practiced but it was good to know basically what to do and where to go.

Good to see you, Copper. :)

I'm so glad we don't have to wear the life jackets to muster anymore. Like KK said, they were accidents waiting to happen. Cords dragging, and hard to see over the bulky jackets. Much better now, quick and painless. :D

Is it true that all the "corded" life vests onboard the HAL ships will all be/have been replaced with the "buckle" type lifevests?

I imagine there would be a little more chaos not physically finding out, together, where we're supposed to go if, God forbid, we'd need our lifeboats.

A lot of people make this comment so my question is not directed to yourself per se, so I will play devils advocate and try and turn it round a bit.

As we all know, Princess muster in the lounges. In an emergency they can take the exact number of people to an available life boat and put them on it.

Now, on some other lines, what happens if you are assigned a specific life boat, say number 12 on port side, but the ship is on fire and you cant get to that life boat, you now have 100-150 people who would have been in that boat trying to get onto another one (plus all the other people assigned other boats that might not be available), or, do you know what your alternative boat (or boats) is without all those people asking crew members or having to wait for further instructions?

My personal preference, without knowing in detail how the other lines work, is for the Princess method. But whichever method is used, I really dont want to find out for real:eek:

HAL ships, for the most part, have a very different public deck design than Princess ships in that the major lounges are not on the Promenade deck, so mustering passengers in lounges means that if you do have to evacuate the ship, passengers would have to be taken up a deck rather than be able to lead them directly outside to a lifeboat.

In reality, when the emergency sounds, there is a lot of confusion on HAL as people are unsure whether to go to their lifeboats or not. No matter which ship you're on, the Captain doesn't want passengers exposed to the elements or having to stand on deck for a period of time. I was on the Prinsendam when the emergency sounded (a transformer fire in the cooler in the Lido) at about 2am. Some people ran to their lifeboat in their jammies and little else, others wandered out into the hallway, unsure what to do or where to go, and others (like me) jumped into clothes and grabbed their medications, and waited for instructions. The Captain didn't come on for about five minutes which seemed like a very long time. We were told to stay in our cabins and not go anywhere. About 10 minutes later, he told us the fire was out, the firefighting team was going to stay on scene for the rest of the night in case of a flare-up, and we should go back to bed. Overall, it was very chaotic for a few minutes. There was no crew up and about telling anyone what to do or where to go. It was left to the Captain's PA announcements. Frankly, in a true emergency, I'm not sure how well this would work since "your" lifeboat might not be available or accessible plus very, very few ship emergencies require one to go immediately to a lifeboat for evacuation.

My personal preference, without knowing in detail how the other lines work, is for the Princess method. But whichever method is used, I really dont want to find out for real:eek:

LOL. Me neither.

I had to edit my post because I initially didn't read yours correctly.

If you can't get to your lifeboat, then there would be a problem. But I'm thinking the crew are trained in all types of senarios, and even the one you bring up, and as long as I step into action and then, when I realize I can't get to my lifeboat, I see a crew member directing me elsewhere, I'd like to think I'd have the wherewithall to trust that he/she knows what they're doing and will do everything in their power to help me get where I need to be. I'd think that would be a lot easier already heading towards where my lifeboat is supposed to be than simply finding a lounge to sit in. I'd feel more in control (illusionally speaking).

But like you, I hope to never have to test my theory. ;)

A lot of people make this comment so my question is not directed to yourself per se, so I will play devils advocate and try and turn it round a bit.

As we all know, Princess muster in the lounges. In an emergency they can take the exact number of people to an available life boat and put them on it.

Now, on some other lines, what happens if you are assigned a specific life boat, say number 12 on port side, but the ship is on fire and you cant get to that life boat, you now have 100-150 people who would have been in that boat trying to get onto another one (plus all the other people assigned other boats that might not be available), or, do you know what your alternative boat (or boats) is without all those people asking crew members or having to wait for further instructions?

Ok, so what if the lounge is in the part of the vessel that's on fire? ;):eek:

Ok, so what if the lounge is in the part of the vessel that's on fire? ;):eek:

I think overall I'd rather take my chances on a lounge. No part of the ship is safe in every circumstance, and in most cases the bridge will make some kind of announcement on what the best plan is. I don't think I'd have wanted to muster by the lifeboats on either the Celia II or the Brilliance of the Seas. What IS important is to have an established procedure beforehand so you're not starting from scratch.

Roy

Archived