hotel pre and post cruise barcelona

mamoune

We are a couple in our early fifties and hesitating between these four hotels for a pre and post cruise stay in Barcelona next May. Hotel Inglaterra, Hotel Curious, Onix rambla and Praktik rambla. I would not mind staying on the Rambla, where the action is, however, I am afraid it will be too noisy. Your thoughts anyone??? Thanks in advance for your help :-)

We were in the city 3 days precruise this past summer. I've not stayed in any of those hotels or directly on Ramblas. Hopefully someone will weigh in on the ones on your short list. I'd suggest going over to Trip Advisor, Expedia and other sites also and reading the reviews. Noisy is usually one of the complaints that people will list if they think it applies to a hotel. (We stayed in the Jazz Hotel and loved it). It was a pretty new, very modern hotel within easy walking distance of the Ramblas. I stayed there based on all the good reviews here and on other travel sites. I paid about 120 euro/night last June. It has a rooftop pool which has a good view of the city and we'd definitely stay there again.

Actually, we had also considered the Jazz but at 190 Euro per night, it is out of our price range :-( You were lucky to pay only 120 Euro ! This is why we were looking at the Hotel Inglaterra, since it is apparently across the street from the Jazz and has good reviews on Trip Advisor. As do all the other which I listed... which is why it is difficult to make a choice!

We stayed at Hotel Inglaterra last July and it was fine. Located across from Hotel Jazz but about 1/3 less. We had a triple room which was very nicely done. I think we paid around 150 euros but again that was for a triple.

Kirk

We were there in May also. Weather was absolutely perfect. I am sure hotels base price on different factors and situations always change but when I first began looking, all hotels were expensive. I had my own short list and drew a line in the sand. Since there were so many hotels in Barcelona to select from figured I'd wait until after the holidays and whichever one was cheaper I'd book. This year (2010) hotel prices fell dramatically about the second week of January. That may or may not hold true again. I'd say as long as hotels have good reviews you should be fine. Inglaterra was across the street somewhat. I remember seeing it when we would wander down to Starbucks each morning for our morning coffee/danish for breakfast. We'd sit outside on the tables and people watch before we began our day.

I am the same age as your group but this trip was a gift for my niece who'd just finished her first year of college. We both loved the city. Easy walking, lots to see and do. You'll have a great time.

Both the Praktik and the Onix Ramblas are NOT on the Las Ramblas street that is touristy and loud!!

They are on Rambla de Catalunya which is above Placa Catalunya and is a WONDERFUL location!!

I have stayed at the Onix Rambla and the Praktik is right across the street.

Rambla Catalunya is a pedestrian boulevard with upscale cafes/restaurants a nice bakery and some shops. The only "noise" we heard was from a talented guitarist who was playing quiet jazz at night. IF you want an even quieter room then ask for one away from the main street. We enjoyed this location and looking out from our small balcony!!

There are many "ramblas" in Barcelona. It just means "pedestrian street". They are not all touristy and noisy!!

Havent stayed at your choices,,,,, but we did stay at Le Meridien which is right on Las Ramblas.... we didnt find that location to be noisy at all. In fact it was very quiet. We did, however, love being able to walk right out the front door and be right there....... Las Ramblas was a lot of fun to walk, which we did both day and night (we stayed post cruise).

Actually, we had also considered the Jazz but at 190 Euro per night, it is out of our price range :-( You were lucky to pay only 120 Euro ! This is why we were looking at the Hotel Inglaterra, since it is apparently across the street from the Jazz and has good reviews on Trip Advisor. As do all the other which I listed... which is why it is difficult to make a choice!

We are also going to be in Barcelona next May. One of the CC members recommended using www.nnhotels.com to make hotel reservation with Jazz. This web site offers a group of hotels in different parts of Barcelona city. You can cancel/revise booking anytime. We made a reservation for a room for 3 a couple of weeks ago. The prices have gone up a bit since then. Just took a look for a room mid May for 2 for two consecutive nights and it is only around 165 euro/night based on advanced booking rate. It seems that the rate is higher if you are only staying for one night. Hope this may help.

We are also going to be in Barcelona next May. One of the CC members recommended using www.nnhotels.com to make hotel reservation with Jazz. This web site offers a group of hotels in different parts of Barcelona city. You can cancel/revise booking anytime. We made a reservation for a room for 3 a couple of weeks ago. The prices have gone up a bit since then. Just took a look for a room mid May for 2 for two consecutive nights and it is only around 165 euro/night based on advanced booking rate. It seems that the rate is higher if you are only staying for one night. Hope this may help.

I booked directly at the hotel sites for our stay in Barcelona, Venice and London. In the states, if I can get the direct telephone number at the actual location I do so rather than use their 800 numbers. JMO but I think when you go direct (or as direct as possible) without using any of the aggregators (Travelocity, Expedia, etc) you don't have to go back thru an intermediary for changes, requests, or cancel, etc. Calling direct almost always gets you something additional (other cheaper deals, better room, etc) than just hitting few keystrokes on a computer.

We stayed at Hotel Principal which is about 2 blocks away from Las Ramblas and paid 95 Euros for a lovely clean room in October 2010. They did arrange for a taxi to arrive at 430 in the morning to bring us to the airport (the taxi fare was exorbitant--37.25 Euros which included a premium for the time of day--we would have taken a local bus or the metro had it been running.) We did hear everyone come into their rooms all night long and what was a little unnerving was the fact that the light above the door would be on if you were in the room (you needed to insert your room key to operate the electricity); the inverse of this was that if the light was off, everyone knew you were not in your room. With all the propangada about pickpockets and so forth, it did make us a bit nervous, however nothing happened to us in our room and it truly was a fine location. We actually walked to this hotel from the cruise ship port.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Praktik Rambla in August and enjoyed it. We had two rooms - a triple with a balcony, and a double across the hall (looked into a light well). Both rooms were decorated in a modern style and were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the location was quiet. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but several places on the street (one had a discount for hotel guests). It was a short walk to the metro and the top of the Ramblas, where the airport bus stops. We are booked to stay there again in March, and the price was 118 Euros per night including taxes.

Will be doing the HAL cruise leaving Barcelona and arriving Venice in October 2011. Any hotels within walking distance to the cruise terminal in Barcelona. TA suggested the Rialto Hotel in La Ramblas setcion of Barcelona. Not sure how far this hotel is from the cruise terminal or from the airport.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Will be doing the HAL cruise leaving Barcelona and arriving Venice in October 2011. Any hotels within walking distance to the cruise terminal in Barcelona. TA suggested the Rialto Hotel in La Ramblas setcion of Barcelona. Not sure how far this hotel is from the cruise terminal or from the airport.

Hopefully, somebody with actual experience will post with better answers. But based on my research:

1) Although the port is located right next to the main toursist area, walking to the actual cruise ships is quite difficult.

2) If staying in the tourist areas closest to the port, it's not unreasonable to walk to an area near the port where you can catch an inexpensive bus that will take you to your ship.

3) If staying elsewhere, it's reasonable to take public transportation to the port bus.

4) All that said, cabs are safe, reliable and just not that expensive. Assuming you have luggage, most people are probably better off taking a cab rather than some combination of walking/public transportation/port bus. Taking a cab opens up many more options in places to stay. All things being equal, most people would prefer neighborhoods not in walking distance of the port.

5) The Hotel Rialto gets mixed reviews. Great location near many tourist sites (though not really walkable to the port) but otherwise unremarkable.

I am not sure where HAL docks. If it's near where Princess docks, forget it. It would be tough to carry luggage. Ramblas is 5 - 10 minutes by car from the cruise port. The airport is a good 25 minute car ride away.

We are a couple in our early fifties and hesitating between these four hotels for a pre and post cruise stay in Barcelona next May. Hotel Inglaterra, Hotel Curious, Onix rambla and Praktik rambla. I would not mind staying on the Rambla, where the action is, however, I am afraid it will be too noisy. Your thoughts anyone??? Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Check out Hotel Astoria for 67 Euro per night (two night minimum).

We have tentatively booked the Praktik for Sept and I got a bargain on Expedia-less then $500 for 5 night stay-plus I think 8% tax added at check out. I've heard this is a clean, basic room with no frills but a very nice hotel staff.

Hopefully, somebody with actual experience will post with better answers. But based on my research:

1) Although the port is located right next to the main toursist area, walking to the actual cruise ships is quite difficult.

I agree - we were on Princess and I can't remember the name of the port - something like Los Cruceros?? I'd not walk there - cars moving fast in and around the area and it wasn't close enough to really walk.

2) If staying in the tourist areas closest to the port, it's not unreasonable to walk to an area near the port where you can catch an inexpensive bus that will take you to your ship.

Absolutely true, but even going the most expensive way (having our hotel call a cab for the ride) was only $25 euro - that was door to door service.

3) If staying elsewhere, it's reasonable to take public transportation to the port bus.

4) All that said, cabs are safe, reliable and just not that expensive. Assuming you have luggage, most people are probably better off taking a cab rather than some combination of walking/public transportation/port bus. Taking a cab opens up many more options in places to stay. All things being equal, most people would prefer neighborhoods not in walking distance of the port.

Agree 100%. Already posted above - the most expensive way to go from our hotel (Jazz) was having them call a cab - that cost $25 euro. I'm on vacation, I've already spent thousands on a cruise and the more expensive cab ride b/c the hotel called was only about $7 or $8 euro more than what some here say hailing one myself down where the cabs are - -but nothing beats door to door service. To take the port bus or hail my own cab means having to roll multiple luggage pieces there. That was worth something to me and I don't know about others but I've blown more than $7 or $8 euro (in US money) all the time on more foolish things and never blink an eye.

5) The Hotel Rialto gets mixed reviews. Great location near many tourist sites (though not really walkable to the port) but otherwise unremarkable.

Try to read multiple hotel site reviews - usually you can figure out if someone's complaint is a dealbreaker for you or not. That helped me tremendously when making ressies in Barcelona, Venice and London this past summer.

Archived