Need guidance please

Wecruise8

What we did, although more expensive, was to leave from Palm Beach International. One reason was we wanted to visit my mom who lived near there.

But, it was painless compared to having 3000 people trying to get through security and check in.

We rented a car and drove up I 95. There is a place right outside the terminal for rental car pickups.

We had a 1050 flight out of Fort Lauderdale December 11 and were at the airport by just after nine in spite of inefficiencies of Customs and Immigration. There were only 3 officers there for a ship carrying over 3000 pax. Only other ship in was the Oasis but that was at another dock. I got permission to get to the front of the line.

9:05am - almost no chance

10:05 - decent chance, but no sure thing.

It will depend in part on how many other ships are unloading that day. Youwill have to do seld debarkation. This means you will have to be able to carry all your luggage off the ship. It also means that when you get to the escalator in the terminal, you must have one free hand. If you do not, you will be directed to the elevator, and a line forms there quickly.

9:05 - only if you a true gambler. Everything has to work to do this one. 10:00am - I'd say 75% chance you make it. I wouldn't book before 11. Too many things can go wrong. Also something to consider, what time of year ae you cruising? If it's a heavy travel period, take that into consideration.

We just had a 10:45 flight (yesterday!) from Fort Lauderdale and made it with plenty of time. We got to the airport around 9; we did not do the self-disembarkation, though I wish we had, to save a few last minute worries.

We were due to disembark at 8:20 but they were running late and we got off at 8:40 instead. Luggage finding and customs took five minutes, literally, and, as others said, the airport is only about 15 minutes away.

You will probably be fine with a 10:00 flight if you get off the ship the absolute earliest you can (self disembarkation) and if there are no hang-ups with getting to port on time, getting clearance for the ship and/or custom problems. No one can predict when something unusual happens (we've never had a problem in 20+ cruises, but it does happen) and the ship gets in late or has other problems that affect getting off the ship.

Maybe even 9 is possible, though a real stretch. I might consider the 10, not the 9.

Someone asked if you are a worrier--and that's important. If you will spend your whole cruise stewing about your flight time so that it ruins the experience, don't book such an early flight. We had concerns about the early flight, but not enough to stop us having fun. We just decided if we missed the flight, we'd find some other option, albeit maybe not a very good one. You have to know your comfort level.

For Fort Lauderdale, Princess has 10:15 as the earliest flight they will be responsible for getting people to the airport for.

Also, early debarking people (not self debarking) who had Princess transfers got to leave before the ones, like us, with independent transfers. But, I don't think you can do Princess transfers if your flight is before 10:15 anyway.

Thanks everyone. Will definately not do the 9 AM flight and yes, I'm a worrier. What do you think about Miami? Is it a short enough drive to take a cab or would you suggest renting a car for the short drive to FLL?

MIA is 30 or 40 minutes from Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks everyone. Will definately not do the 9 AM flight and yes, I'm a worrier. What do you think about Miami? Is it a short enough drive to take a cab or would you suggest renting a car for the short drive to FLL?

All connections are premised on an on-time ship arrival. we usually book a late afternoon flight to avoid the worry. Also, check and see how many ships will be disgorging passengers on your day of arrival. If the behemoths are in town, things can get pretty well bottled up.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I found a flight back at 11:25 which pushed the price way up :mad: but with limited choices booked it. Just about every schedule wanted to put us on a 6 AM flight back and we couldn't stay over until Mon. so had to take the more expensive option offered. I think we're going to do the EZ check on the way home as well, just one less thing to worry about and no luggage schlepping. For those of you who have used this service, what do you do with toiletries that you will need on the morning of disembarkation (make-up that I'm not willing to throw away, etc.)?

Thanks again, y'all are great!

I'm not sure why everyone is saying no to early flights. if you tell the cruise line that you have a flight they will get you out on time. we had a flight at 10:05 am and were out by 7:30am! plenty of time to get to the airport and wait around for the flight. a trick to getting out fast and easy is to NOT give your luggage in and keep it yourself and take it with you when you go. we always do this on all cruise lines and have never had a problem.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying no to early flights. if you tell the cruise line that you have a flight they will get you out on time. we had a flight at 10:05 am and were out by 7:30am! plenty of time to get to the airport and wait around for the flight. a trick to getting out fast and easy is to NOT give your luggage in and keep it yourself and take it with you when you go. we always do this on all cruise lines and have never had a problem.
People were saying, "No" to the 9am flight and "Maybe" to the 10am flight. You have probably been lucky as I've seen very long lines (45 minutes) to check in curb-side and even longer inside at FLL. Add a 30-minute line at Security and not even counting a possible delay at arrival and disembarkation by the ship. I've barely made 11:20am flights a couple of times due to delayed disembarkation. One time, it didn't start until almost 9:30am because Immigration was taking their time and then some international travelers hadn't completed their forms.

I would never, ever take the responsibility of telling someone a 9am or 10am flight is makeable because I know the things that can, and do, go wrong to delay you. Thats like telling someone there's never any tie-ups on the 405. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean problems don't exist. I've seen people screaming, crying and demanding to be let off the ship because they'd made early flight arrangements. No go. They weren't allowed off and missed their flights.

To the OP, I'm glad you found that flight. You will have a much better end to your cruise.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I found a flight back at 11:25 which pushed the price way up :mad: but with limited choices booked it. Just about every schedule wanted to put us on a 6 AM flight back and we couldn't stay over until Mon. so had to take the more expensive option offered. I think we're going to do the EZ check on the way home as well, just one less thing to worry about and no luggage schlepping. For those of you who have used this service, what do you do with toiletries that you will need on the morning of disembarkation (make-up that I'm not willing to throw away, etc.)?

Make sure it is all under 3 oz. and will fit in your one quart zip lock bag to get through security. That is your only choice (or toss it). We would do EZ check again in a heartbeat ... but you definitely have to understand and be willing to put your luggage out the night before and not see it again until you reach your destination airport. We each still had a small carry on bag with our stuff we needed the next morning.

You may want to consider doing an early walk off and carry off your own luggage. On a recent cruise, there was a shortage of immigration officials that morning and they were about 45 minutes to an hour behind schedule in letting people off the ship according to category. The EZ check group was scheduled to be called about 8:30 and didn't get called to exit the ship until between 9:30-9:45.

We made a 11:30 flight from FLL on a past cruise by doing an early walk off. The previous poster who mentioned long lines at security is right. It all depends on timing. With an early walk off time you should be able to beat the crowds at security, but I have also seen lines that were easily 30-45 minutes in length to get through just a little later in the morning.

We really appreciate all the great advice. We have booked a flight out of FLL for 11:25 AM (a good hour after the Princess stated timeframe). Don't have a problem putting the luggage out the night before as long as I don't have to throw away make-up, etc. We planned to each have a small carry-on for the return trip in case we can't get presents in the luggage and for the stuff we'll need prior to disembarkation. Now if DH's passport would get here we'd be ready, it's the last piece of the puzzle and I'm getting a tad anxious.

Just a quick note to add that, in-my-humble-opinion, the reason the early flights are cheaper is precisely because of the hordes of cruisers who can't take them. Every time I've looked at returning flights for a cruise, the early morning flights (6am, 7am...) are far cheaper than those leaving after 10 or 11am. I chalk this up to the thousands of cruisers who come through FLL and MIA.

I'm sure you're right. DH and I were just thrilled :rolleyes: when, after posting huge profits from change orders and luggage fees, airlines raised the rates. If it wasn't such a long drive from VA to FLL and if we could have gotten more time off we would have driven or taken the train down. It doesn't help that the nearest large airport is a min. of 2 hours away which adds a whole other set of expenses. We bite the bullet and go for it.

Archived