Expecting a Blizzard her in New England

crusinbanjo

Good luck with the blizzard. Just one of the reason's many of us live in the south; but wait, it's even cold here too! I live 5 miles from the Alabama gulf coast and the local forecast is for 25 F tonight. Whatever happened to global warming?

Same blizzard expected down here in lower NY. Strong gusty winds and 16 inches coming. All three airports have delays already and it's not even snowing yet. I've left three days advance time to get to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of January and hope it's enough.

'Banjo'....... the end of the week, we're supposed to have temperatures in the forties. What day are you supposed to fly?

We are in the area of Southern New England that is supposed to get 18-20" and it's making me nervous we could lose power. There will be all the necessary conditions to call this massive storm a full blown blizzard and the high winds and heavy snow surely will cause massive power outage.

Please Wish us luck........

I know I complain about the cold and snow in Chicagoland - but we very rarely get the kind of hit you're expecting. Maybe once every 10 or 12 years. It seems like you've been getting it pretty regularly recently. Be warm, be safe, and be especially careful with the shoveling.

My hubby was scheduled to leave for the Holy Land in the morning. His flight to DCA has already been cancelled. Since it is a group tour I think the travel agency will handle rescheduling--at least they said they were working on it. Not sure how they will be able to get 20 people on the same schedule.

Weather for tonight into Monday is for heavy snow, high winds and white out conditions. Boston's Logan airport mostly closed already.

My flight attendant daughter is working a flight this morning from Miami to Boston. Whether or not she actually gets there is another question.:confused:

Logan Airport is still open and we have barely gotten a dusting of snow, however, most airlines stop scheduling their planes to come in when snow is expected. They don't want the equipment stuck on the ground and out of use for them until the snow is cleared and scheduling returns to normal.

For Boston, it is not unusual for airlines to cancel flights as much as 24 hours in advance of predicted snow. :(

Wishing you good luck Judy. Hoping neither of us loses power. Last year, we had to leave our house and go to a hotel when we were without power for a week and the temps in our house went down to 50.

We had trees down all over and it was a terrible mess, but no snow.

This time, we stocked up on wood for the fireplace, just in case,

Light snow is falling now.

The snow will make for really bad conditions with gusty winds, etc. Hope everyone in the path of this storm stays safe.

We moved this year from New England to SC and boy am I glad.The funny part about living down here is watching people who were born and raised in the South respond to snow. We have had winter storm watch and warnings up all day. So far churchs are cancelling services, etc. I think there is less than 1/2 inch of dusting on the ground. After living in New England and under going the blizzards and ice storm,this winter down here is a piece of cake. Hope everyone up North stays safe and sane. The biggest thing I miss about a predicted snow is watching everyone hit the grocery store for gallons of milk and loaves of bread. Doesn't seem like snow without that. Happy Holidays to all!!!

Thanks for the good wishes, Carol...... and I send the same to you and everyone in the path of this storm. It's a nasty one.

We moved this year from New England to SC and boy am I glad.The funny part about living down here is watching people who were born and raised in the South respond to snow. We have had winter storm watch and warnings up all day. So far churchs are cancelling services, etc. I think there is less than 1/2 inch of dusting on the ground. After living in New England and under going the blizzards and ice storm,this winter down here is a piece of cake. Hope everyone up North stays safe and sane. The biggest thing I miss about a predicted snow is watching everyone hit the grocery store for gallons of milk and loaves of bread. Doesn't seem like snow without that. Happy Holidays to all!!!

I hit the grocery store Friday. :) I timed it so it wasn't so bad what with the Holiday grocery shoppers. Got what I wanted without chaos. :eek:

We are in the center of NC and moved from New England 10 years ago. People here to the same as in NE , cleaning the stores out of bread and milk. The bad part of snow here is that they don't know what to do with it. It's God put it there, He'll take it away. We had 9 inchs in the last 24 hours and I've seen one plow. Usual, it's a huge road grader.

I wish all of you dealing with the snow or possible snow good luck. Living in the land of the frozen tundra I certainly have sympathy for you. I had originally booked a cruise to the Carribean and the flight was to leave today. I cancelled and booked a cruise leaving from the West Coast so I'm happy not be caught up in it all. Good luck!

Good luck and prayers for everyone's safety in the upcoming storm. At least up here in the "frozen tundra" we are accustomed to snow, cold, and the occasional power outage. We are prepared for the winter and anything it should throw at us. Unfortunately most of the states that are going to be hit do not even have the equipment to handle the snow coming down. Our winter has only just begun and we've already got snow piled up 3 feet deep on our lawn; we worry for the areas that are going to encounter the storm. We will keep our eyes on the weather channel and CNN reports.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

A few days in Florida were what we did last year, when we left DC between the two-foot snowfall and the next one-foot one -- we hauled south and spent a couple of days in Jacksonville before our cruise when Snowmageddon hit the area.

This one seems to have dumped on North Carolina and Norfolk. Having lived in Virginia Beach for several years, I can only imagine what is going on with both plows out trying to clear the roads :D.

The storm then went out to sea and bypassed us in DC . (so far) but is on track to dump on the whole coast from Philly north. They even postponed the Vikings at Eagles game tonight because they expect 20 inches of snow and blizzard conditions.

Hope it all works out for you and Mrs. Banjo! I know that we will be watching the Weather Channel at least a week before our cruise in February.

Dave

We have huge huge drifts (30 minutes north of NYC) in front of our front door and on the path to the driveway. Can't open the door to get out and the same goes for two glass sliders. Have to wait for the plow guy to dig out the front. The driveway isn't even that bad. At least we're warm and safe and have plenty of food.:)

Good luck with the blizzard. Just one of the reason's many of us live in the south; but wait, it's even cold here too! I live 5 miles from the Alabama gulf coast and the local forecast is for 25 F tonight. Whatever happened to global warming?

Ask me next July or August!;)

Archived