what to wear in port, a new twist on dress code threads

vampiress

I'm hoping i am posting a sightly different dress code post than all of the others. I tried doing a search, but i just keep finding the long discussions on what is appropriate in MDR. I tried celebrity's website but only found ship dress code. it's been quite some time since i have been on a cruise, and i honestly have no idea what i wore last time. i believe i have perfectly acceptable ship wear, but now i am concerned with what is acceptable in port.

My mother said she read somewhere that shorts and sleeveless tops were not allowed in port cities. i thought this sounded odd as we are going to rotan and cozemel, and those seem to me primarily beachy ports.

i tend to wear skirts and sundresses in the warm weather, and i was wondering if they would be appropriate in port. would capri apnt (somewhere between ankle and knee) be more appropriate? are tanks ok if paired with a cardigan? several of my dresses and tops are tank style but i generally pair with a shawl or cardigan because i get cold in a/c.

i sail next week, whee!

Shorts and sleeveless tops are MOST definately permitted in port cities. I have traveled quite a bit, and seen most Caribbean islands. I actually like to "dress down" otherwise if you are going to buy jewelery or other souviniers, you are going to have people thinking "they have enough money" and they won't come down on their price much at all. I found it's much easier to barter of they DON'T know your on the cruise ship, and you don't dress up with clothes, jewelry or purses. When we stayed for a week on St Kitts, and Barbados....people would actually have a "cruise ship price" and an everyday price.

Also, a lot of times we get off the ship in our swimwear with a nice cover-up sundress. The men wear swim trunks with shirts. I've never felt out of place at all. Also, you mention getting cold in AC. Well, not a lot of port cities I have been to have stores or restaurants with AC, and if they do....it doesn't work very well. I wouldn't dress to warm at all.

I'm in complete agreement here! In port I usually wear a bikini with an appropriate length cover up dress or I wear a shirt and shorts when doing more active excursions. I do exactly as a poster above mentioned when I'm shopping. Dress down, kind of act like I'm doing my own thing and definitely do not carry or hold anything with a ship logo! :-) Enjoy!

I agree with Kutty and Ocean, unless you are touring any churches/temples shorts and short sleeve or sleeveless shirts are fine. The only other strange thing for ports I have heard of is not to wear camo printed items- there are some countries that will not permit camo clothing since it is for military use only.

I have a different slant.

Story:

On our way back to the ship after visiting one of the port towns on our last cruise, we decided to check out one of the "markets" close to the pier. There we ran into a perfectly nice couple who were our table mates in the MDR, and we stopped to talk. They had visited a beach resort earlier, and were on their way back to the ship also. He was wearing a tank top and jammers. She, her bathing suit and a cover-up. We talked a bit about the resort they'd visited when his wife noticed something in one of the stalls which she thought they might like to buy and pointed it out to her husband. He turned to the proprietress and asked a question. Her reply: "Take your lady back to your ship and dress properly. Come back and maybe I will answer your question. I would not go to your country and walk about half naked." The stall owners around all applauded her. Oops!

Moral.

While you can dress any way you want and there are no "dress police" on the pier, you never know who (or how much), the way you dress may offend someone with whom you come into contact.

I try to be a good guest, so my rule of thumb for ports:

Beach wear is beach wear, I wear it if I'm going to a beach exclusively.

Town wear is town wear, I wear it if I'm going to roam the town, even after the beach.

For women, cap sleeves seem to be the minimum considered decent; skirt and blouse and sun dresses with short sleeves are fine. Shorts or pants shorter than ankle are very iffy for anything other than inside the resorts - for both Cozumel and Roatan. For men, short sleeves at least and, really, only long trousers. If you want to roam a little I think you'll find that a conservative style will serve you well. Others may tell you differently, but it's not my experience. You won't know whom you have offended unless there is an awkward incident such as I've described.

It's a fact, mon.

Story:

On our way back to the ship after visiting one of the port towns on our last cruise, we decided to check out one of the "markets" close to the pier. There we ran into a perfectly nice couple who were our table mates in the MDR, and we stopped to talk. They had visited a beach resort earlier, and were on their way back to the ship also. He was wearing a tank top and jammers. She, her bathing suit and a cover-up. We talked a bit about the resort they'd visited when his wife noticed something in one of the stalls which she thought they might like to buy and pointed it out to her husband. He turned to the proprietress and asked a question. Her reply: "Take your lady back to your ship and dress properly. Come back and maybe I will answer your question. I would not go to your country and walk about half naked." The stall owners around all applauded her. Oops!

Moral.

While you can dress any way you want and there are no "dress police" on the pier, you never know who (or how much), the way you dress may offend someone with whom you come into contact.

Town wear is town wear, I wear it if I'm going to roam the town, even after the beach.

For women, cap sleeves seem to be the minimum considered decent; skirt and blouse and sun dresses with short sleeves are fine. Shorts or pants shorter than ankle are very iffy for anything other than inside the resorts - for both Cozumel and Roatan. For men, short sleeves at least and, really, only long trousers. If you want to roam a little I think you'll find that a conservative style will serve you well. Others may tell you differently, but it's not my experience. You won't know whom you have offended unless there is an awkward incident such as I've described.

It's a fact, mon.

Sorry you had such a funky incident but to say men should only

wear long trousers when walking around Cozumel?:eek::confused:. And that

shorts are iffy for women?:confused: Guess we all have our own opinions

of what is acceptable. It is usually HOT and humid in the Caribbean

and I would never tell a guy he had to wear long pants for walking

around and I always wear shorts, if I am not in a bathing suit and

coverup.

Dressing for a House of Worship is one thing, walking around Downtown

Cozumel is another.

I have walked around those markets near the pier and the only problem

I have ever had is them wanting you to come inside and spend your

$.

The advice so far should be good, but it's really a question of the area visited rather than the ship. I'd be leery of getting off so casually dressed in any middle-eastern port and perhaps some other countries. It wouldn't hurt to look at the ports sections for the places you'll visit and I'm sure the ship willl provide guidance where there is a potential problem. This is a general comment not applicable to the OP's specific situation.

Roy

There are certain Caribbean islands where a bikini top or a shirtless man are illegal. St John is one example. You can actually get a ticket. Doesn't happen to often but if you are walking around in just a swim suit they will ask you to cover up.

In some Caribbean islands camouflage is illegal even in swim suits or shorts. If you are wearing it you will be asked to remove it and it will be taken away.

All Caribbean islands are casual, it is just that some are more conservative in the towns as to how much skin showing is appropriate. Always best to check out the local customs before you go.

B

You will be fine in what you are wearing Both times in Cozumel I wore a swimsuit, once with dress cover-up other with shorts and a tank top, Hubby wore swimsuit and sleeveless shirt both times. Roatan once and did the same thing. We shopped and went into restaurants in Cozumel and didn't get any odd looks.

I've taken many land vacations in the Caribbean, to most of the islands. I have never seen Americans in anything really, except shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc. Deliberately provocative clothes would not be recommended, but normal casual hot-weather clothes are the norm. Don't even bother trying to fit in with the locals. No matter how hard you try, you will be immediately identified as a cruise passenger or American tourist.

Depends on the port! The Caribbean is different from Europe!

In the Caribbean, no "camo" clothing is allowed in most countries...you can be fined or detained if you wear camoflage.

In most countries, bathing suits aren't appropriate unless you're on a beach...most of these countries are quite religious and frown on too much skin. Shorts and tees are fine.

Whatever you'd wear for the weather in wherever you're going is fine.

What you'll find on threads like these is certain people that will post their biases and opinions on what others should wear as facts. It helps to see what the majority say and take a cue from that.

It's similar to MDR dress code threads, some people believe that what they want to see is how things should be. Not really so. :cool:

What you'll find on threads like these is certain people that will post their biases and opinions on what others should wear as facts. It helps to see what the majority say and take a cue from that.

It's similar to MDR dress code threads, some people believe that what they want to see is how things should be. Not really so. :cool:

I agree !

Srpilo

It was along time ago, but I lived in Puerto Rico and the Republic of Panama each for two years. ( It was the era of the book "The Ugly American.") Believe me in those days you were in sleeeved tops and skirts and slacks on the streets. At tmes I was so asahmed of some of the tourists and not only their choice of attire, but their behavior that I stayed home when a cruise ship landed.

Please remember you are a guest in those ports. I know "dress codes" have changed and what is acceptable now, would not have been in my younger days, but would most people wear bathing suits to shop at home?

Please remember you are a guest in those ports. I know "dress codes" have changed and what is acceptable now, would not have been in my younger days, but would most people wear bathing suits to shop at home?

did you even read my post? did i mention swimwear at all?:confused::confused::confused:

(actually i now live in los angeles and previously lived in Florida, and yes, people do go to the store in bathing suits all the time. i don't, but many people do.)

It's similar to MDR dress code threads, some people believe that what they want to see is how things should be. Not really so.

and to be quite honest, i think i described some fairly reasonable attire, yet so many are posting "horror" stories of people wearing none of the things i mentioned.

i guess i'll see what happens next week with what i have. thanks to everyone else for weighing in. i think i'll be fine.

Lesson learned today: Do not wear a camouflage swim suit because they will ask you to remove it :eek:

LOL :D

You jest but it is true. There was a post a while ago on TA about a woman and her teenage daughter who was wearing a camo bikini and was asked by security/police on the beach to change it or be arrested.

There was also a story about a young boy trying to get through immigration in camo shorts and was not allowed in until he changed.

B.

In the Caribbean, we always dress very casually in warm weather clothing such as shorts and t-shirts or warm-weather polo shirt. Also many times we've planned a beach trip before, or after, going into the port town to shop so I've worn a bathing suit and t-shirt and my wife has worn her bathing suit and a cover-up.

We've never felt uncomfortable or out of place at all dressed this way. Frankly I'm very surprised at any of the stories above that suggest otherwise as we find such clothing the norm for tourists. In fact I'd say that it is very rare that you see tourists dressed in long pants in those Caribbean ports where beach and water activities are popular.

Naturally things are a little different when traveling to other areas of the world such as European cruises and ports such as Rome. In these ports you need to have some idea of local customs and dress, especially when you plan to visit churches and other religious sites. But even in ports such as Rome and Florence it is common to see tourists in shorts and t-shirts on warm days if they are not planning on going into churches.

Story:

Moral.

Alternate Moral --The stall owner lost a sale.

It's a fact, mon.

Actually no, it's your experience and perception.

As usual Lsimon's post is spot on and the voice of reason.

I think it depends on which port you're in. I believe it's Bermuda, where showing too much skin is disrespectful. When we stopped in Cozumel earlier this year, I had on jean shorts and sleeveless blouse. My fiancé wore khaki shorts and a tee shirt. We had no problems.

I think it depends on which port you're in. I believe it's Bermuda, where showing too much skin is disrespectful...

I've never been to Bermuda but I've seen photos there of people wearing shorts as part of outfits I couldn't imagine ever wearing!!

bermuda2_i0000b5.jpgshorts2.jpg

Archived