ms russ

marco_polo11

Will anyone returning from this cruise please post whether meds need to be in their original bottles. I take several vitamins & supplements and buy them in the XL Costco size.

I have read that they need to be in their originals but has anyone actually had them checked or confiscated?

Thanks

My DH always gets his vitamins and supplements at Costco and packages each day's supply in small zip lock bags for ease of traveling. We have been on over 40 cruises and tours including last year to Russia and have never had any of them checked or confiscated. Several years ago, I went through security in Belgium with cough medicine. They asked me to take a sip of it and I gladly did so.

Sheila

Will anyone returning from this cruise please post whether meds need to be in their original bottles. I take several vitamins & supplements and buy them in the XL Costco size.

I have read that they need to be in their originals but has anyone actually had them checked or confiscated?

Thanks

Before our Russian River cruise, we were warned that all prescription drugs be in the original bottles.

We are all set for the July 10th cruise on the Russ from Moscow to St Pete's! I've wondered about meds too. My daughter has to have a shot every 30 days and the dates will likely coincide with our rivercruise. Will I need a doctors note to bring the shot with us?

Based on the guidance we received, I would get a doctor's note with a copy of the prescription.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting that link! It's been so hard to find blogs/pictures of the Russian River Cruises! So when I do see one, it's so exciting! I can't wait until it's my turn to go. I'm working on a website so I can post blogs when I can (if I can) on our cruise as well as pictures. When I was in Hawaii for a week last summer I took over 1000 pictures. I can only imagine how many I'll take over 2 weeks in Russia and a week in London and Amsterdam!

For those people on the Russ~ are you preparing your Pirate costumes and readying your talent for the talent show?

I think my daughter and I are going to Be-Dazzle some eye patches, lol!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Quick question:

I'm on the Russ through Gate 1 leaving Sept 1...regarding the optional excursions, is there anywhere to book those in advance? I've seen a list of what they are, but not where/how to book them.

Do I need to book them in advance? Have those of you that have already gone had any trouble getting the excursions you wanted if booking once on board?

Also, I heard of a pirate night, and 2 dress-up nights, is that correct?

Glad you resurrected this thread. It was going backwards fast.

We are taking the Gate` Russ at the end of May. We paid a while back when our AUD was strong and have been told Monday we should receive our paperwork before Easter.

There is a pirate night don`t know about dressup. Will let you know what they say about the excursions.

This from the thread on tripadvisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k3948405-River_cruise_ship_MS_Russ-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

<One of our optional tours was cancelled due to lack of sign-ups. That, of course, was not the issue. The issue was that we only found out at the time the other tours were leaving, when it became evident that there was no bus for this tour. That left us about three minutes to decide what we did want to do. We opted to take a different optional tour, but would have preferred more time to think about whether we wanted to do that or do something on our own. Had we had time to consider all options, we probably would have returned to The Kremlin as our tour from the day before was cut short. To add to the above, Vodohod would NOT use the same money we pre-paid for the tour that was cancelled and apply it to the tour we took. We were told we needed to pay for the new tour and get a refund from Gate 1 when we got back home.>

Denny

I don't know if it works the same way but when we did a Christmas Market tour with

Gate 1 (non cruise), we signed up & paid for the tours on the first day. It was cash only so we needed to make another trip to the ATM. The guide actually talked us out of one of the tours saying that many people had complained of not liking it. (good to know)

Nancy

Like Shoshona, between us my DH and I take a slew of meds and we package them in "reminder" day-of-the-week containers. We have been all over the world (including St.P to Moskva last June) and never had a problem, never had them even looked at. I too have read ALWAYS IN ORIGINAL BOTTLE and TAKE A COPY OF YOUR Rx warnings for everywhere we go, but we don't. As far as original bottles... they would take up a lot of room at we are carry-on-only packers. That isn't going to happen!

On the other hand -- a syringe and contents might raise a red flag at security, so I would get a doctor's note on official stationary (or an official prescription pad) for that one.

There are a couple of dress up nights~ but "dress up" is a term used lightly. It's nothing like formal nights on an ocean cruise ship. Dress up in this case means slacks or skirt and a nice shirt. I think in the pictures I saw, the men weren't even in ties, just polos.

I definitely will get a docs note for K's shot. We don't need any trouble! Fortunately, she gets it early on our trip, while we're in Amsterdam, before Russia. So we don't have to worry about carrying it to Russia or England afterwards. I will have to get trained on how to give it to her though, as she gets it in her lower back! :eek:

I'm so happy. We made our final payment on the cruise today! Whoo-hoo! We hope to get our flights very soon. Then I can breathe!

WE HAVE AIRFARE!!!!!!

I am soooooo happy now! The cruise is paid off and airfare is bought. We are now OFFICIALLY going to Russia! YAY! My daughter and I have had so many financial hurdles lately, we weren't sure if it was going to happen or not. Well, guess what? It's going to happen.

Russia, here we come! :D:):D:):D (We're doin' the happy dance)

Bump!

This thread should be getting busy, we have several people getting ready for their cruises!

I can't believe Kaylie and I will be cruising in less than 3 months! In fact, 3 months from today, we will have just finished our cruise and will be chatting about it in London- on the last leg of our dream trip!

It's still surreal. Right now I'm in a panic to get my son, TJ through graduation next month- lots of preparation yet! Then my youngest son and I have one week left of school to finish. Then a quick trip from NE to Wisconsin for a nephew's graduation over Memorial Weekend. Then Kaylie and I will be in countdown mode to Amsterdam and Russia!

In the meantime, we've sent off for our passports and should get them back just in time to start the Visa process. We're scouting hotels for Amsterdam and London and looking over tours to enjoy in those same places.

Can't wait to read everyone's trip reports!

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise on July 10th is also Moscow to St Pete's. I'm looking forward to your reviews, cobymikal. :) From the pictures I've seen so far, both of the ship and the excursions, we're all in for a lovely voyage. The ship's common spaces are charming (even if the cabins are plain). The destinations are exciting and often stunning. We have much to anticipate!

Archived