ms russ

marco_polo11

Thanks for the TP explanation, Coral. I never thought about it that way and was prepared to bring a roll along. I don't want to be the one responsible for a smelly back up! I'm already worried enough about clutzing my way into a fall into a canal. :eek:

There was also a joke (though realistic and not fun if you were one of them) last year that people were rationed toilet paper on their cruise. Though - these ships were built with specific toilet paper specifications so I would be hesitant to bring my own and put it down the toilet. Others may choose to do so and put it somewhere else.

It wasn't an issue on my cruise (thankfully). Several reported problems last year and resorted to stealing from the room stewards when asking didn't work.

Just received our visas today June 6th. I think they cut it a little too close. I was really getting worried as I sent for them back in April. We leave for Russia and the MS Russ on Friday. Hope we can find some wifi so we can post some reviews.

Have safe and exciting travels, Swunky! Can't wait to read about your experiences on the Russ. We're 4 weeks behind you! I'm hoping to get our Visa soon too. I was told to expect them around the 18th. That's fine if everything is okay, but not much leeway if any adjustments need to be made (as we leave on the 4th for our Amsterdam pre-cruise days).

Please come back when you can and tell us all about it!

Lisa

Hi Girl, I will look out for you two Im 1m 76cm and hard to miss I tend to be a bit loud as im quite deaf and wear 2 hearing aids. so we will be chatting on board Ive got 26 more sleeps till lift off. Im traveling with a dark haired woman thats shorter and smaller than me.:D

Just left the Russ this morning. Was a marvellous trip except for Khitzy where the weather was appalling.

Wifi was only available at Yaraslov and we didn`t have much time there.

Just answering some things that came up earlier although I have lost track of answers.

We always had two rolls of toilet paper

Hair dryers are available from the desk and they also had a small library

No kleenex

In some of the inland towns the mosquitoes were huge (and biting)

3 hangers per person

2 cakes of Palmolive soap

Gate1 had 74 people and used 2 buses

3rd bus was called English speakers and was for rest

Others were mostly French with some Spanish

Bathroom is weird but works well. Always good supply of hot water

Beds were small with foam mattresses but we all said we were surprisingly comfortable

Walls are thin

The first night was sit anywhere. The next night we were supposed to choose a permanent table for the cruise but finished up doing it the third night which messed my plans This is to help the servers as you order the night before then they just deliver to the table

Food had 4 mains to choose from.

Denny

denny~ yay! I was hoping we'd hear from you soon! It's exciting to get the scoop from someone fresh off the russ. Can't wait for the full trip report when you're able. Did you have wifi in Moscow and St Pete's? Did anybody (that you know of) have phone signals? I'm wondering about accessing internet through cell phone as opposed to wi-fi? Just guessing, how many "oddball" cruisers were there? (Meaning not thru Gate 1/English speaking)

Was there any problems with the optional cruises being un-available? Did you feel like you spent an eternity on the busses being transported, or was it ok?

Dinkyc~ Can ya believe we're so close? I can hardly stand the excitement!

Hi Pixie

I`ve got a netbook, so no wifi but my mobile had a signal most of the time if that`s useful for you.

No wifi in either Moscow or St Petersburg. (Nearly killed me;))

The english speaking odds were about 25 I think as sometimes we joined their bus to even up the numbers. Quite a few Aussies who had booked with Russian companies.The French had a large group and you certainly knew they were there:mad:

When we had our first intro talk I made it clear I wanted to do Sergiev Posad (after our guide had talked it down) and she organised us to go with people from the other boat we travelled with. You get the optionals at the first meeting. You`ll have your own guide and meetings. Local guides were great.

My advice in Moscow would be to skip the lunch/shopping oportunity they take you to and just hang round Red Square til they come back. It wasted 3 hours of the precious Moscow time. We`d already spent 3 days there but some people missed a lot.

If you want to see Lenin it takes 5 minutes although the guide said half an hour. One hold the camera and phone, then swap. Checking the bag is what takes the time.

The port in St P was pretty bad. They had a shuttle that ran on the hour and returned on the half hour. There was nothing there at all and it was a 20 minute drive. There is a dock one near the metro but we weren`t at that one.

People who did the boat in St P said it took 3 hours driving for 1 hour boat ride. We just did one this afternoon. Cost 600 R instead of 1600.

Thanks, Denny! I think I'm going to borrow my dad's netbook. It's actually a Droid, so I believe it runs off of either phone signal or wi-fi, whichever is stronger (just like your smartphone). I thought this might be less hassle than the laptop.

Can I ask, what did you choose for your optional tours and were they worth it for you? You said Sergiev Posad for one... Did you see Lenin? Was the line crazy? Kaylie and I were planning to go visit the Armory in the morning before the cruise starts- and perhaps the Hard Rock Cafe and shopping- depending on time/traffic factors. Then we planned to do the circus for an optional and then take advantage of the free day (did you get that as scheduled?) to visit Gorky Park and shop. In St Pete's we want to see the ballet (if offered) and then the tour of (Catherine's Palace) Pushkin & Pavlovsk. Did you get quality time at the Hermitage? We debated about returning after the cruise, since we have many hours before our flight out of St Pete's. Is there anything you wanted to see but didn't- or wished you would have had more time at?

What was the recommended tipping? Is it still 10$per person per day? Did you experience a fuel surcharge? Any unexpected costs?

What were the best and worst things on the russ- and with the cruise? Is there anything you wish you would have done differently or brought or left at home?

Sorry for all the questions- but thanks for the answers!:p

Lisa

The entrance for Lenin is to the right of the mausoleum if you`re facing it, near the Red Square entrance. There is a security gate so if you take it in turns to go through the gate, walk along the back wall of the Kremlin (behind a fence, through the tomb, you then come out at the other end of the square.There was no queue at all apart from confused people getting stopped at the gate because they had phones or cameras.Just take it in turns to hold your stuff. Stand and watch and you`ll see what happens. Really enjoyed that but most didn`t do it because the guide put them off saying it took ages.

Optionals Must do is Catherine Palace The ballet had mixed reports from those who went.It was at the Palace theatre. S P was good.The convent may be better (be sure to visit the cemetary) next to it, but we`d already been there on the metro

The circus wasn`t offered but this may vary each cruise.

We saw S P on the free day as we`d already had two full days staying just near Red Square.

The Hermitage was mad but we actually saw all I wanted. We just rushed through. Planned to go back but think it`s hard to enjoy as it`s just so crowded so won`t bother.

You have to book for the Armory. Only can do it half an hour before. I think it was 10 2.00 or 4. Get a ticket to Kremlin cathedral at the same time. We were early but could only stand near the Armory entrance.

The worst of the Russ was were it docked at St P and Moscow, but really it was great. (Particularly for the price) Included excursions were great. Peterhof amazing!Some people caught the hydrofoil to the centre insted of to the ship like the rest of us did.

The excursions all finished at 2 then return for lunch, but they are jampacked.

No fuel surcharge

Not much dressing up and often just rushed to eat so could have bought less clothes.

Theres a tip box on the desk for the crew on the last few days but we also tipped our cabin girl and waitress separately.

Denise

The entrance for Lenin is to the right of the mausoleum if you`re facing it, near the Red Square entrance. There is a security gate so if you take it in turns to go through the gate, walk along the back wall of the Kremlin (behind a fence, through the tomb, you then come out at the other end of the square.There was no queue at all apart from confused people getting stopped at the gate because they had phones or cameras.Just take it in turns to hold your stuff. Stand and watch and you`ll see what happens. Really enjoyed that but most didn`t do it because the guide put them off saying it took ages.

Optionals Must do is Catherine Palace The ballet had mixed reports from those who went.It was at the Palace theatre. S P was good.The convent may be better (be sure to visit the cemetary) next to it, but we`d already been there on the metro

The circus wasn`t offered but this may vary each cruise.

We saw S Posad on the free day as we`d already had two full days staying just near Red Square.

The Hermitage was mad but we actually saw all I wanted. We just rushed through. Planned to go back but think it`s hard to enjoy as it`s just so crowded so won`t bother.

You have to book for the Armoury. Only can do it an hour before each session. I think it was 10am, 12am 2.30 and 4.30. Get a ticket to Kremlin cathedral at the same time. We were early but could only stand near the Armoury entrance.

The worst of the Russ was where it docked at St P and Moscow away from town, but really it was great. (Particularly for the price) Included excursions were great. Peterhof amazing!Some people caught the hydrofoil to the citycentre instead of back to the ship like the rest of us did.

The excursions all finished at 2pm then return for lunch, but they are jampacked.

No fuel surcharge

Not much dressing up and often just rushed to eat so could have brought less clothes.

There's a tip box on the desk for the crew on the last few days but we also tipped our cabin girl and waitress separately.

Denise

How badly were you rushed at the Hermatage? And how crowded is crowded?

No circus? I'll be bummed.

How was Pirate night?

Do they pack a lunch for you on the days you're in town? If so, what was in the lunches?

Did you get any opportunity to shop for goodies before boarding the ship? I'm still worried about getting my Diet Pepsi fix... :eek:

Thanks, Denise!

Lisa

You`ll be totally comfortable in Capris. It was a casual group and it was great to travel with like minded economical travellers.

The Hermitage was very crowded in the popular rooms, not so much in others.You`ll get the highlight tour then can decide whether to return or stay on for a bit and find your own way back. I intended to but changed my mind at the end of the tour. Figured I`d had enough.

Entry is very expensive in Russia and cameras usually cost extra.

For the offboard lunches we had a hotel buffet in St Pete and got taken to the lunch/toilet stop/shopping opportunity ;) in Moscow that I would skip for more time in central Moscow.

Lots of people didn`t know about Pirates night.

At Moscow there is a large supermarket at the Metro stop across the park. Just head out from the ancient building at the beginning of the quay towards the road. Down the underpass to cross the road. Halfway through this park you`ll see shops on the left. The supermarket is downstairs at the end of the mall.

If you want water it starts with he.... for still water.

In St Pete where the shuttle stops for the metro there is a couple of supermarkets for stocking up. There are always little stalls but you pay more at these.(Cheaper than ship though)

We also look for supermarkets when travelling. Usually find small ones.

Uglich was the best souvenir stop (Paid 250 R for little dolls that were twice this price on ship and more at the Red October shopping stop in St P.

There`s an update on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k3948405-o80-River_cruise_ship_MS_Russ-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

and we did a blog as we went.

http://deniseandhugo.shutterfly.com/europe12

You want days 43 to 54 for the cruise.

Hi Pixiegirl,

22 Sleeps till I go and I cant sleep just thinking of it all YIPPIE..

Hi Denny Girl, Tx for all the tips, i Havent heard about pirate night what must I bring for this. Did you need the loo paper you took with?

So they allow you to take beverages with onboard or must one hide the fact?

Did you get enough time to shop in the little towns? Did you need a dress to go into churches at all or head scarves? Do I need much cash +- what would be good in Ruble for a day i will be staying an extra 3 days at both ends of the cruise.

Hi Dinky

Don`t worry at all about loo paper. Always had 2 supplied. One on the roll and a spare.

No problem bringing beverages on board. Just told us not to bring them to the dinner table although we did bring a bottle of water with us instead of buying one.

For the pirate night I just bought a pack from the $2 shop. Scarfe, eyepatch, ear ring and sword. Black outfit would have been good.

We did get enough time to shop in the little towns particularly Uglich where there is a market street leading to the dock.

Never wore my skirt but did take a scarf for churches as it seemed polite.

We probably spent 2000 R a day. Things are extremely expensive. 350 R each to enter the church on spilled blood in St P then 100 or 150 to take photos. At times it was hard to know where the money had gone!

Meal at Hard Rock Cafe was 1400 R for 2 but this was our most expensive meal.

Denise, did people wear capri's on the tours- to the churches? Do I need to bring more than 1 pair of pants or jeans? Was hoping to pack all capris (denim, khaki & colored) and a pair of black pants, maybe 1 pair jeans and 1 pair shorts. My daughter bought denim capris, will she need something non denim for the church tours? Is it even warm enough for shorts? It's good to know potential prices at the Hard Rock. We're hoping to go there before we board the cruise.

Dinkyc~ Call me Lisa. 21 days from today, we'll be in the air! :D

Lisa.

Denim is fine. Don`t think anyone cares what kind of capris, denim or any other material.

Your planned pack list sounds good.

We found it coolish but the earlier trip had been warm so you just have to go with what you get.

In Copenhagen packing for the flights home, so no more wifi till the weekend.

Denise

Dinkyc~ Call me Lisa. 21 days from today, we'll be in the air! :D

Pleased to meet you Lisa Im Ansie and 21 days till lift off it is whoopie!!!!

Ill see you on board soon.:D:D:D:D

Archived