ms russ

marco_polo11

I just had a thorough look at tehnotours map- it really is fantastic! Thanks again for that link and the others, tehno!

Ansie, I'm so durned excited! This is my and Kaylie's first time leaving the US. What an adventure we're heading out on! My husband and I were talking last night and he was saying how happy he was that K and I can do this and that he will miss us, but he hopes we have a blast. I think that really made me feel peaceful about leaving him and the boys. I'll miss them all like crazy, but I'm thrilled to have this special time with my daughter too.

Yes it will be very special for you 2 girls. If you are nervous about being first time travelers dont worry Im a seasoned traveler and will gladly help where I can the secret to a good trip is not to think too much but live in the moment and enjoy it to the full. And I also dont convert the money that im spending or ill not spend a cent. If i want it and have the ruble on me i will get it. In the past ive often regreted not buying an item that i really liked so now I just get it and enjoy it. So take as much cash as you are willing to spend and enjoy spending it.

See you soon girls

Thanks Ansie! I'm trying not to worry too much, I'm not a worrier by nature. However, this is the 1st time out of the country for me and for my daughter and we are visiting 4 countries over 3 weeks. I worry about our safety walking around these big strange cities at night. I worry about getting lost. I worry about terrorist activity. I want to keep my daughter safe. I only worry about these things at odd moments and usually won't let myself "go there". Occasionally someone says something or there is something on the news and my thoughts will go to those bad places.

I remind myself that our itineraries are planned out and people know where we'll be and when. We're following every reasonable safety precaution. My real biggest worries should be (and are) forgetting something important (like our tickets to everything) or having a clutz moment (which I'm prone to) and falling into one of the rivers. I navigated Boston on my own and Hawaii on my own. Barring an unusual, extreme situation, I'm pretty capable.

Mostly, I'm just plain excited and anticipating all of the fabulous things we'll be seeing and doing in just 2 1/2 weeks! Kaylie is getting very excited too.

I just bought a new camera and am having fun learning how to use it!

Thanks Ansie! I'm trying not to worry too much, I'm not a worrier by nature. However, this is the 1st time out of the country for me and for my daughter and we are visiting 4 countries over 3 weeks. I worry about our safety walking around these big strange cities at night. I worry about getting lost. I worry about terrorist activity. I want to keep my daughter safe. I only worry about these things at odd moments and usually won't let myself "go there". Occasionally someone says something or there is something on the news and my thoughts will go to those bad places.

I remind myself that our itineraries are planned out and people know where we'll be and when. We're following every reasonable safety precaution. My real biggest worries should be (and are) forgetting something important (like our tickets to everything) or having a clutz moment (which I'm prone to) and falling into one of the rivers. I navigated Boston on my own and Hawaii on my own. Barring an unusual, extreme situation, I'm pretty capable.

Mostly, I'm just plain excited and anticipating all of the fabulous things we'll be seeing and doing in just 2 1/2 weeks! Kaylie is getting very excited too.

I just bought a new camera and am having fun learning how to use it!

Pixie Girl - Some of the small towns along the Volga are smaller then York (much smaller, really) and just as safe as York :)

I worried about getting hurt in Russia (breaking my ankle, etc.. and about medical care there) and I was fine in Russia and hurt my ankle 4 months later in San Francisco. Go figure.

Protect your passport with your life. For me, that meant leaving it on the ship and not carrying it with you! Everything else can be dealt with.

Becareful of pickpocketers in St. Petersburg. They are bad there. They try to distract you and go for fanny packs. I personally like around the neck and under the shirt pouches for that reason. This is probably the worst thing to fear.

If you get lost, you will always have a map with your river boat address so someone can direct you. Our CD always gave us her cell so we could always call and she would "somehow rescue us". I am sure yours will do the same. The people in Russia are very friendly. Especially the younger ones who speak English well (they are more likely to help as they are familiar with English).

I did get Rubles from Wells Fargo in Lincoln (downtown). I had to order them and they took 3 days. I felt glad about this so I didn't have to deal with it once there.

I always call my doctor before I leave and ask for an antibiotic. This way if you know you are getting sick with something like bronchitis or sinus infection - you can start that. I personally prefer to bring my own meds. I would consider this. Also, bring along a few of the standard home meds (sudafed, anti-diarrhea, mucinex, etc...) from home.

You will be fine. You are also exposing your daughter to an amazing experience which she will have for the rest of her life. Unfortunately she will probably catch the travel bug (want to travel more) like I did when I was her age (and it has cost me a fortune!) and she will be comfortable doing so as you are exposing her to how wonderful the world can be! Have a blast!

Thanks so much, Coral!

I'm not too worried about problems in Russia- since we'll not be on our own too much there. I'm more worried about Amsterdam before and London (especially) afterwards. Since we're there just days before the Olympics, I know the crowds and rowdies and pickpockets will be out in full force!

I did buy a slash proof TravelSafe backpack with hidden locked zippers to carry instead of a purse- so our cameras and jackets and waterbottles can be handy. I also bought a slashproof camera neckstrap and an undershirt pouch for money and cards. So unless they literally hold me down and rip it from me, there shouldnt be any trouble with bump and grabs.

Thanks for the currency exchange tip! I need to do that this week. I need Euros for Amsterdam as well as rubles for Russia and pounds for London. Most of it I'll get through the ATM's, but I have to pay local cash for our houseboat in Amsterdam and we have a short window of time between arrival and key pickup. So I need to have that ready to go.

Thanks so much, Coral!

Sounds like you are more then prepared!

London is one of the easiest places to get around but you are right - it will be crazy after the Olympics!

Houseboat in Amsterdam - sounds heavenly!

WellsFargo does have most currencies in stock (Euro, Pounds, etc..) but some they don't carry such as rubles. I think they charge (minimal) if you don't have an account there. I usually buy for my coworkers. If you don't have an account there, email me and I can meet you down there if need be.

You should bring extra cheap mobile phone without simkarty for every tourist. Then he bought for 100-150 rubles simkartu MTS, Megafon and Beeline near the subway. You will be cheaper to call each other in Russia. IMHO

Hi Lisa as Coral and Pixie say its going to be an awesome experience for the two of you.

Ive been to Amsterdam and its really nice there I didnt feel scard at any time and on a boat you will be even safer and seeing the city from a very good vantage point. The under shirt bag is a very good thing I always travel with mine. and hidden pockets are also very good. It will be long daylight hours for us in Russia so we wont need to go out in the dark.

that also adds to feeling safer as one can see whats happening at any given time.

My favorite travel buddy, Clay, and I will be on the July 10 Moscow to St. Petersburg cruise on MS Russ. We are hoping to go to the Catherine Palace on the free day in St. P. I feel sure there will be an optional tour for this, but is there a better way to go? Ditto for the Armoury in Moscow.

Any advice?

Judy

Hi Judy! It's good to meet someone else on our cruise!

My daughter and I are hoping to see the Armory in Moscow the morning before the cruise begins. We fly into Moscow the night before- late. We're staying at a hotel outside of the city- between the airport and Moscow. We plan to take the hotel shuttle into Moscow in the morning and stash our luggage somewhere. We hope to have part of the late morning and afternoon free. The Armory is an inexpensive tour if you go on your own and aren't paying extra for transportation from the port and a guide. We also want to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch. If time permits, some shopping as well. Then we're arranging a transfer thru our TA to the ship from the city.

We plan to spend our free day (really just a few hours from what I understand) at Gorky Park and doing some shopping. We plan to do Catherine's on the free St Pete's Day too. There might be better ways to tour, but I don't know of them. The optional included tour is probably the best way to go.

Only 16 days until Amsterdam and 20 days to Russia! Our Visas were delivered today, so we are ready!

Lisa

Re Armoury tour.

http://kreml.ru/en/info/visitors/tickets/armoury/

Someone on our tour was extremely disappointed that she was unable to see the Armoury. On our excursions we were always accompanied by the Cruise Director for Gate1, (Tanya) and each bus had a local guide and one of the Vodahod girls who kept track of us and made sure no one went missing.

I think the lady asked the Vodahod girl and got so many different versions that in the end she just gave up. If you want to visit the Kremlin at the same time make sure you get a ticket. We didn`t and just had to hang around waiting for the Armoury to open.The ticket booths are in the Alexander Gardens.

My advice would be take it up with your CD and skip the lunch stop in favour of grabbing a snack in the underground mall (complete with food court) next to the Alexander Gardens. (It`s where the eternal flame is)

Doing this would give you a lot more time in Red Square and the Kremlin and the lunch stop was a long bus ride and a huge waste of valuable time.

Easiest way to see the Catherine Palace is to take the ships tour as public openings are later in the day while groups enter first thing.

It`ll be a bit of a business getting into town as St Pete dock is not in a good location and then you have to get out to the Palace.

It`s on the same side of town as the ships berth and not having to go into town saves a lot of time.

We reached the Palace just after 8.00 and doors opened at 8.30. We also visited Pavlosk and this was very interesting but the Catherine was amazing!

Archived