self serve laundry facilities on Eclipse

CPCruisers

Yet, they have a simple solution in self service laundries and choose not to use them.:rolleyes:

The discussion about the lack of self service laundries on Celebrity ships comes up every so often on this board and for some reason it always ends up with a heated debate. Long answer short, they haven't had self serve laundries on any Celebrity ship and my feeling is they won't have them in future. This probably has to do with a combination of a) revenue for ship laundry b) Celebrity don't want to use up space by putting in a laundry room when they can use it for more profitable purposes c) health and safety d) perhaps the majority of Celebrity cruisers don't want the self service laundry and it has never much figured on "must haves" from customer feedback. I've made use of the self serve laundries on Azamara's much smaller ships and it is not an experience I much want to repeat. It can get a bit tetchy in there if someone's washing has been removed or there's a queue for the irons.

Phil

Risk a fire on the ship (it is a much greater risk than people are accepting here) or Risk having my washing less well washed using the ships laundry with an alternative choice of managing the process either on shore or by drying items in the room

Sorry Phils assessment of the position is correct and I would hope my fellow passengers do not risk the former.

We too have had to report cigarette butts on our balcony on three of our last four Celebrity cruises, we do so, not because we are anti smokers but we are concerned about the potential fire risk, but maybe one of us has had too much exposure to this with working with a blue light agency and seeing the full report not only on the Princess incident but several "near miss" events as part of developing some training materials

Risk a fire on the ship (it is a much greater risk than people are accepting here) or Risk having my washing less well washed using the ships laundry with an alternative choice of managing the process either on shore or by drying items in the room

Sorry Phils assessment of the position is correct and I would hope my fellow passengers do not risk the former.

We too have had to report cigarette butts on our balcony on three of our last four Celebrity cruises, we do so, not because we are anti smokers but we are concerned about the potential fire risk, but maybe one of us has had too much exposure to this with working with a blue light agency and seeing the full report not only on the Princess incident but several "near miss" events as part of developing some training materials

Excellent!! I've also used the self laundry on a Disney cruise and felt really sorry for the people with cabins in front of this facilities. The noise from the machines and people talking there was unbearable. To me this discussion is not about if it's right or not to have laundry facilities. If the cruise line that I chose offers self-laundry facilities, I might use them. If the cruise line doesn't have it, it doesn't give me the right to break the rules and hang a clothesline in my balcony.

One of the reasons I cruise with Celebrity is their smoking policy, but still, smoking is allowed in some public areas in top of some balconies. Including mine on our next cruise :mad: I hope my next door "neighbors" on our next cruise don't hang their laundry in a clothesline, because they feel that they have to "protest" the lack of self-laundry facilities in Celebrity cruises.

I chose Celebrity for their itineraries, food, service, cabins and their smoking policy. Self laundry facilities is not even on our list!!

I can't believe this debate is continuing on after days and days.

Each of the cruiselines chooses to offer (or not offer) various amenities. Each of use chooses our cruise based on what is important to us. If self-service laundry is essential (and bears more weight that things such as cabin amenities, itinerary, etc.) then the passenger can choose another cruiseline.

ALL CRUISE LINES DON'T HAVE TO BE THE SAME, nor would I WANT them to all be the same.

WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME, nor would I want all of us to be.

WE MAKE CHOICES, and Celebrity seems to be filling their ships without offering this one choice.

I can't believe this debate is continuing on after days and days.

Each of the cruiselines chooses to offer (or not offer) various amenities. Each of use chooses our cruise based on what is important to us. If self-service laundry is essential (and bears more weight that things such as cabin amenities, itinerary, etc.) then the passenger can choose another cruiseline.

ALL CRUISE LINES DON'T HAVE TO BE THE SAME, nor would I WANT them to all be the same.

WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME, nor would I want all of us to be.

WE MAKE CHOICES, and Celebrity seems to be filling their ships without offering this one choice.

Bingo!

Phil

Excellent!! I've also used the self laundry on a Disney cruise and felt really sorry for the people with cabins in front of this facilities. The noise from the machines and people talking there was unbearable. To me this discussion is not about if it's right or not to have laundry facilities. If the cruise line that I chose offers self-laundry facilities, I might use them. If the cruise line doesn't have it, it doesn't give me the right to break the rules and hang a clothesline in my balcony.

One of the reasons I cruise with Celebrity is their smoking policy, but still, smoking is allowed in some public areas in top of some balconies. Including mine on our next cruise :mad: I hope my next door "neighbors" on our next cruise don't hang their laundry in a clothesline, because they feel that they have to "protest" the lack of self-laundry facilities in Celebrity cruises.

I chose Celebrity for their itineraries, food, service, cabins and their smoking policy. Self laundry facilities is not even on our list!!

I respect your right not to have a self service laundry on your list of priorities, why can't you respect my rights to have it, no one is asking you to use it. And how is some washing hanging on the next balcony going to interfere with your view or enjoyment?

Are you a smoker?

I respect your right not to have a self service laundry on your list of priorities, why can't you respect my rights to have it, no one is asking you to use it. And how is some washing hanging on the next balcony going to interfere with your view or enjoyment?

Are you a smoker?

I'm not a smoker!! I said that one of the reasons I cruise with Celebrity is their smoking policy. I also said that our next cabin is below a public smoking area, if my neighbors decide to hang their laundry, it is a fire hazard which might interfere with my enjoyment.

I also said that if the cruise line offers the laundry service I will use it, as I did in Disney. You can't accuse me of not respecting your rights, I just follow the rules, and the rules are (and you already acknowledge this), that you can't hang your laundry in the balcony. Plain and simple, you can't justify breaking the rules because you think that the cruise line should provide the laundry facilities. That's the reason I explained my priorities, but as some other have said, if the laundry if something essential to you, then you can choose another cruise line.

BTW, I didn't quote you on my last post and I was not showing any disrespect for your rights. I also wanted to add that it looks like you like Celebrity's restrictive smoking policy. How will you feel if your neighbor decides that he doesn't like Celebrity's smoking policy and is going to smoke on his balcony because he doesn't agree with it!! Does he have the same "rights" to protest a policy he doesn't agree with, like you do with your clothesline? Just a thought about respecting rights and following rules.

Are you a smoker?

It has nothing to do with respecting your right to have self service laundry. It has everything to do with the right of the cruise line to decide what amenities they want to offer and what rules they want to put in place. It's their ship, so they make the decisions, not you.

If a company provides a product that doesn't meet my needs, I don't purchase it. Simple as that.

I'm not a smoker!! I said that one of the reasons I cruise with Celebrity is their smoking policy. I also said that our next cabin is below a public smoking area, if my neighbors decide to hang their laundry, it is a fire hazard which might interfere with my enjoyment.

I also said that if the cruise line offers the laundry service I will use it, as I did in Disney. You can't accuse me of not respecting your rights, I just follow the rules, and the rules are (and you already acknowledge this), that you can't hang your laundry in the balcony. Plain and simple, you can't justify breaking the rules because you think that the cruise line should provide the laundry facilities. That's the reason I explained my priorities, but as some other have said, if the laundry if something essential to you, then you can choose another cruise line.

BTW, I didn't quote you on my last post and I was not showing any disrespect for your rights. I also wanted to add that it looks like you like Celebrity's restrictive smoking policy. How will you feel if your neighbor decides that he doesn't like Celebrity's smoking policy and is going to smoke on his balcony because he doesn't agree with it!! Does he have the same "rights" to protest a policy he doesn't agree with, like you do with your clothesline? Just a thought about respecting rights and following rules.

The only reason you are not supposed to hang washing on the balcony is due to people smoking which of course is a health and fire hazard. By removing the smoking policy you remove the danger of fire from washing hanging on the balcony, plus have you ever walked through the designated smoking areas, the smell of smoke is disgusting, why would anyone want to subject their health or clothing to such a disgusting habit.

So many people hang their washing on the balcony, this is not just a "me" issue, it is far more common than you realise or will admit. Some items of clothing cannot be laundered in commercial machines and therefore must be hand laundered.

I disagree with hanging towels over the balcony railing because they can blow off, but my washing is secured by pegs behind the deck chairs very close to the sliding doors, I fail to see how this could possibly be a fire hazard. I choose my cabin carefully and it is never near the designated smoking area.

If Celebrity refuse to implement a self service washing facility, then why don't they place a retractable clothes line somewhere in the cabin and close to the sliding door for air ventilation.

We could argue this point till the cows come home, we should agree to disagree on this subject and move on. :)

It has nothing to do with respecting your right to have self service laundry. It has everything to do with the right of the cruise line to decide what amenities they want to offer and what rules they want to put in place. It's their ship, so they make the decisions, not you.

If a company provides a product that doesn't meet my needs, I don't purchase it. Simple as that.

Celebrity is an excelllent cruise line, their only downfall is no self service laundry facilities, if they had these amenities it would be a magnificent cruise line.

They are always asking how they can improve their product, well, in my opinion a self service laundry would complete their product,:)

Aussie Claire,

With all due respect, you can argue all you want, but Celebrity doesn't have self serve laundry (and isn't likely to add machines no matter how much you argue here). So why are you bothering to sail on a Celebrity ship if this one feature is so important to you? Or is this a fun way to raise blood pressure? ;)

Aussie Claire,

With all due respect, you can argue all you want, but Celebrity doesn't have self serve laundry (and isn't likely to add machines no matter how much you argue here). So why are you bothering to sail on a Celebrity ship if this one feature is so important to you? Or is this a fun way to raise blood pressure? ;)

There is always room for imrovement, if we don't put our feeling out there, how can we ever expect changes.:)

There is always room for imrovement, if we don't put our feeling out there, how can we ever expect changes.:)

You've been on this laundry thing for quite some time. At least back to November, 2012. Perhaps they should have a laundry facility, but they don't and won't since there are no new ships in the planning stage and the refits have been completed on the M Class ships. They choose what facilities are to be included on their ships. Your choose to either to book a Celebrity cruise or not.

You've been on this laundry thing for quite some time. At least back to November, 2012. Perhaps they should have a laundry facility, but they don't and won't since there are no new ships in the planning stage and the refits have been completed on the M Class ships. They choose what facilities are to be included on their ships. Your choose to either to book a Celebrity cruise or not.

Hello Oratorr, how nice to see you again.:)

I believe you are discussing this particular thread which was back in October, 2012. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1720540

At that time the Poll results speak for themselves.

The only reason you are not supposed to hang washing on the balcony is due to people smoking which of course is a health and fire hazard. By removing the smoking policy you remove the danger of fire from washing hanging on the balcony, plus have you ever walked through the designated smoking areas, the smell of smoke is disgusting, why would anyone want to subject their health or clothing to such a disgusting habit.

So many people hang their washing on the balcony, this is not just a "me" issue, it is far more common than you realise or will admit. Some items of clothing cannot be laundered in commercial machines and therefore must be hand laundered.

I disagree with hanging towels over the balcony railing because they can blow off, but my washing is secured by pegs behind the deck chairs very close to the sliding doors, I fail to see how this could possibly be a fire hazard. I choose my cabin carefully and it is never near the designated smoking area.

If Celebrity refuse to implement a self service washing facility, then why don't they place a retractable clothes line somewhere in the cabin and close to the sliding door for air ventilation.

We could argue this point till the cows come home, we should agree to disagree on this subject and move on. :)

The "M" Class ships do have retractable clothes line in the shower area. You can always cruise Princess and do laundry in the coin operated machines on their ships.

The "M" Class ships do have retractable clothes line in the shower area. You can always cruise Princess and do laundry in the coin operated machines on their ships.

I have cruised on Princess, their SS laundry were very good. We had just completed a 10 day Rockies tour and were about to depart on a cruise to Alaska. the SS laundry facility was a life saver as we had no clean clothing left.

I didn't find the food on Princess to be as good as Celebrity, and the beds were quite uncomfortable. Beds to me are a deal breaker.

I wonder why Celebrity did away with the retractable line on their Solstice Class ships?

[quote=Aussie Claire;38451781

I wonder why Celebrity did away with the retractable line on their Solstice Class ships?

I wonder that too! :rolleyes: However, an excellent alternative is the REI portable clothesline. It's short enough for a standard X shower, but stretches nicely for the tub encosure. :cool:

I wonder that too! :rolleyes: However, an excellent alternative is the REI portable clothesline. It's short enough for a standard X shower, but stretches nicely for the tub encosure. :cool:

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it.:)

I know on some lines you can request the loan of an iron from your steward --- is that not available at all on Celebrity? I also am accustomed to Princess where each deck has a laundry room with irons always available. No matter how carefully I pack, some of my items seem to end up a little wrinkled! Do people send them out to be pressed at the laundry service (I'm assuming there IS a laundry/dry cleaning service available!).

Don't worry about a few wrinkles. Don't sweat the small stuff. :) mummsie

And you continue to justify breaking the rules to serve your own purposes. What gives you the right to put yourself above the rules? Oh, I see. It's because your special! :rolleyes:

Why is it that whenever someone criticises an aspect of Celebrity cruises they get told by some people to choose a different cruise line? I don't care if Celebrity has SS laundries or not but I can see why the lack of them could be a valid criticism. Using the "like it or leave" line adds nothing to the discussion

And you continue to justify breaking the rules to serve your own purposes. What gives you the right to put yourself above the rules? Oh, I see. It's because your special! :rolleyes:

LOL, thank you for recognising I am special.;)

You compliment me way too much, I'm not that special, many, many people hang washing on the balcony, I am just one who talks about it.:)

Why is it that whenever someone criticises an aspect of Celebrity cruises they get told by some people to choose a different cruise line? I don't care if Celebrity has SS laundries or not but I can see why the lack of them could be a valid criticism. Using the "like it or leave" line adds nothing to the discussion

I don't understand why it irks people either, some people get quite abusive and uptight, it is simply a discussion.

Archived