two for one fares?

erdoran

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question - I saw their two for one fares ad and from the website I can't tell anything! For example, the March 12, 2012 sailing from Sydney to Dubai shows a penthouse for $14,299, is that per person? I would assume it is?

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question - I saw their two for one fares ad and from the website I can't tell anything! For example, the March 12, 2012 sailing from Sydney to Dubai shows a penthouse for $14,299, is that per person? I would assume it is?

The fare shown is for one person and most likely 1/2 of the full fare shown making the 2 for 1 viable but, it is no different that most cruise lines. Make up a full fare that almost no one will pay and advertise 2 for 1 to make it look like 50% off. At one time it might have been real but, now no one should take it as a serious statement.

Not only Regent does this. Next we might see full fare air fares going to double and advertiseing 2 for 1 meaing the prices are the same as before.

" Two-for-one" is a marketing thing to make us feel like we've snagged a great deal - and we all want a great deal, right?

So we go along with it because we want to book our next cruise and how can we pass up such a great deal!

It's only money.

The fare shown is for one person and most likely 1/2 of the full fare shown making the 2 for 1 viable but, it is no different that most cruise lines. Make up a full fare that almost no one will pay and advertise 2 for 1 to make it look like 50% off. At one time it might have been real but, now no one should take it as a serious statement.

Not only Regent does this. Next we might see full fare air fares going to double and advertiseing 2 for 1 meaing the prices are the same as before.

I remember when they started, and when it became entrenched. I remember when I was so excited to get a 2-fer in 2004 on Diamond. Then in 2006 we had a 60% off deal, since then everything has been 2-fer.

We were on that cruise as well. 7 nights on the Nav at a fraction of today's pricing...the fare has tripled since excursions, air, and yes, drinks are now included

If you find a TA who is an expert in luxury and adventure travel and produces a lot of business for Regent you may well get a better deal.

Also, sometimes there are offers for on-board credit. After your first Regent cruise you're el igible for discounts on some future cruises. And after sailing on Regent for 21 nights you get some perks, including FREE internet. Check the Regent website for all the perks at various levels.

I have to say I find the Regent all-inclusive concept intriguing. May i ask some more newbie questions?

1. When you get "free" business air for penthouse or above, that's to and from any international destinations, not only Europe? (e.g. Dubai, Australia)? How are the routings, are they reasonable or outrageous?

2. How are the "free luxury hotel packages"? Holiday Inn or something truly upscale? (nothing wrong with Holiday Inn, it's certainly a nice, reliable, mainstream hotel, just not my idea of luxury!

3. In the lowest level penthouse with the free business air, is it possible to get twin beds, and how much privacy is there? I would be traveling with a same-sex roommate and we both like our space and privacy!

any other comments about Regent and how it compares to decent, non-luxury cruise lines such as Norwegian, Carnival, etc? Do you think the extra cost is worth it by the time you consider the included extras?

And what about tipping? The website says all tips are included, but is it customary to tip more (excluding when you buy extras, which I'd assume require an additional 15-20% tip), and if so what's an approximate range to budget for?

thanks!

"Free" business class air is only to Europe in most cases from what I can tell. Sometimes I have seen it for other destinations, but to be honest, we don't use it. We book a regular suite and take the air credit, booking our own air with FF miles.

I would not do the "free hotel" package myself. You can easily book the same hotel as they have listed on your own for way less, even including transfers, etc. There is a place on the website where you can see the hotels they book you into. You can get a credit if you do your own.

The suite can be made up with twin beds. They will be side by side like in a hotel. There is a curtain between the sitting area and the bedroom area but not between the beds. Also the closet is huge, and you can dress in there which is what I always do as I tend to get up way earlier than my husband.

Do not tip extra. Tips are included and extra is not expected. If you want to give extra, donate to the crew welfare fund.

I'm not seeing free Business Class Air in 2011 and 2012 -- perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. We have taken advantage of it before and it was available to anyone in Penthouse "C" or above. In general, the routings are a mixed bag. We have had some wonderful flights/routings and others that we had to change (for a $200 deviation fee).

I agree with Rachael in terms of the hotel for most ports. However, when you go in a hotel on your own a day early, you incur the deviation fee. Then you are responsible for transportation to the ship. In many places, this is not a problem. For Rome or Southampton departures, we prefer to pay the extra and let Regent pick the hotel and do the transportation. Regent assigns different hotels for those in Penthouse Suites and above. Most of the hotels that Regent uses are 5 star.

There really is no way to compare Regent to the cruiselines you mentioned. The only problem with sailing on Regent is that you will not want to return to mainstream cruiselines:)

No tipping! If you feel that the service has been wonderful (and it will be), you can make a donation to the Crew Fund. It is really appreciated!

"Free" business class air is only to Europe in most cases from what I can tell. Sometimes I have seen it for other destinations, but to be honest, we don't use it. We book a regular suite and take the air credit, booking our own air with FF miles.

I would not do the "free hotel" package myself. You can easily book the same hotel as they have listed on your own for way less, even including transfers, etc. There is a place on the website where you can see the hotels they book you into. You can get a credit if you do your own.

The suite can be made up with twin beds. They will be side by side like in a hotel. There is a curtain between the sitting area and the bedroom area but not between the beds. Also the closet is huge, and you can dress in there which is what I always do as I tend to get up way earlier than my husband.

Do not tip extra. Tips are included and extra is not expected. If you want to give extra, donate to the crew welfare fund.

Wow, you guys are GREAT! How would I find out how much of a credit I can expect by doing my own air & hotel? Do I need to call Regent for that info or can you give me an idea (or is it hidden on their website?) thanks

I'm real analytical and am trying to get a fair comparison of their fares to mass market cruiselines - I suspect once I deduct hotel & air they may well be comparable! thanks so much!

Gee, I didn't know you could opt out of the new "free" pre-cruise hotel perk. Interesting. Yes, you have to weigh the costs of doing it yourself.

The free business class and cheap business class upgrades have, in the past, usually only been available to and from Europe. Sometimes there is a special business class rate to Asia, but it's higher.

And remember, it's only Business internationally--if you have a connecting flight in N.A., it will be coach.

I believe certain cabins are designed to be set up as twin beds, and others are not, so you need to ask.

No, it's not customary to tip more, and yes, I believe it's way better than a mass-market cruise, although I do not speak from personal experience.

and one more question - the terms & conditions say that free excursions are for "full fare guests only"....does that mean brochure rate (ie not taking advantage of the 2 for 1 so-called promo) or does that mean only for the first two guests in a suite? thanks

I'm not seeing free Business Class Air in 2011 and 2012 -- perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.ou mentioned.

TC,

They still have "free" Business Class Air on European cruises in 2011. If you select a European cruise and click on "Fares," you'll see the following:

"FARES INCLUDE roundtrip airfare from select U.S. and Canadian gateway cities (Penthouse Suites and higher on European cruises includes Business Class Air) . . . ."

In addition, when you reserve a penthouse on a 2011 European cruise, the website will indicate that business class air is "free." We'll find out about 2012 when the 2012 European schedules are released.

Dave

If one chooses to purchase their own air, there is a reduction applied to the cruise fare. This allows people to use their FF miles. People who live in Florida can drive to the ports which allows for the use of credits.

How about credits for excursions which many people do not want. They may choose to remain in ports or make their own arrangements.

Regent should revise their thinking on this point and lower their fares to compete with those luxury lines who do not offer "free excursions".

On our last cruise the value of the excursions was $1200/couple.

Wow, you guys are GREAT! How would I find out how much of a credit I can expect by doing my own air & hotel? Do I need to call Regent for that info or can you give me an idea (or is it hidden on their website?) thanks

I'm real analytical and am trying to get a fair comparison of their fares to mass market cruiselines - I suspect once I deduct hotel & air they may well be comparable! thanks so much!

erdoran,

For the March 12, 2012 cruise (which is Singapore to Dubai, not Sydney to Dubai) you are looking at, the combined hotel and air credit appears to be $2500 per person. The hotel credit is always $300 per person and the air credit obviously varies with the location of the cruise.

To find the air credit for a particular cruise, go to the website and select the cruise. Note the all inclusive fare for use later. Then click on "Reserve Cruise" and make a dummy reservation for two guests without air. Fill in the requested personal information, leaving off your Seven Seas Society number if you have one. Click next and select your suite. Indicate you want to use the "free" hotel program. Then decline the options presented, including insurance. You will get to a summary screen showing the cruise fare for two. The program erroneously adds transfers to arrive at a total but ignore the transfers and use the total cruise fare before transfers. Divide by two, subtract the original website fare and you'll have the air credit. Add $300 to get the total air and hotel credit per person.

Hope this helps and isn't as clear as mud. :)

Dave

As the OP has probably noticed by now all the "free" inclusions are not free at all. You are paying for every free thing they give you. For those who prefer one large payment up front it's okay but let's be honest, Regent's fares are the highest because they are including all these "freebies."

TC,

They still have "free" Business Class Air on European cruises in 2011. If you select a European cruise and click on "Fares," you'll see the following:

"FARES INCLUDE roundtrip airfare from select U.S. and Canadian gateway cities (Penthouse Suites and higher on European cruises includes Business Class Air) . . . ."

In addition, when you reserve a penthouse on a 2011 European cruise, the website will indicate that business class air is "free." We'll find out about 2012 when the 2012 European schedules are released.

Dave

Thanks so much. I was looking under the generic category "Specials" and didn't see it.

WRIPRO,

writers of various cruise journals have freely admitted that "free excursions" was a great marketing idea. Even Mr. Conroy has so stated. After 13 Regent cruises I am at an age not physically able to take advantage of the exursions offered. Much preferring to either stay on board or loaf around the port or hire a taxi, or go to another luxury line .

Although dropping the free excursions and the fares will appeal to the 'veteran' Regent clients, first time cruisers won't know the difference unless they are 'savvy' shoppers.

erdoran,

For the March 12, 2012 cruise (which is Singapore to Dubai, not Sydney to Dubai) you are looking at, the combined hotel and air credit appears to be $2500 per person. The hotel credit is always $300 per person and the air credit obviously varies with the location of the cruise.

To find the air credit for a particular cruise, go to the website and select the cruise. Note the all inclusive fare for use later. Then click on "Reserve Cruise" and make a dummy reservation for two guests without air. Fill in the requested personal information, leaving off your Seven Seas Society number if you have one. Click next and select your suite. Indicate you want to use the "free" hotel program. Then decline the options presented, including insurance. You will get to a summary screen showing the cruise fare for two. The program erroneously adds transfers to arrive at a total but ignore the transfers and use the total cruise fare before transfers. Divide by two, subtract the original website fare and you'll have the air credit. Add $300 to get the total air and hotel credit per person.

Hope this helps and isn't as clear as mud. :)

Dave

Thank you so much, this is precisely what I wanted to know!

There's "price" and there's "value."

Most Regent cruisers I know think they get value for their money or they wouldn't return.

Consider the intangibles, such as ambience on a ship with 700 pax rather than ships carrying 2,500 pax or more - how do you put a price on that?

Archived