Balconys and bugs?

nhquilter1

This is our first time with a balcony and friends suggested sleeping with the door open to enjoy the sounds of the ocean...we're doing NYC to FL/Bahamas...do I need to worry about bugs in the room?? I don't think we'll be sleeping with it open the first night at sea, but I am worried about flying things joining us!!

Thanks!

Yeah, that won't be an issue with the ship moving... I can't picture a bug making through that kind of wind! When you are stopped you won't want to leave your balcony door open for long periods of time because it screws up the air conditioning for other cabins... creates a big draw on the system.

This is our first time with a balcony and friends suggested sleeping with the door open to enjoy the sounds of the ocean...we're doing NYC to FL/Bahamas...do I need to worry about bugs in the room?? I don't think we'll be sleeping with it open the first night at sea, but I am worried about flying things joining us!!

Thanks!

If you want the sounds of the Ocean get DL of these: http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/watersounds.shtml

Gone to mexico, and did not have any problems with bugs in the room. If anything, it may be smoke from a neighbour if they are heavy smokers. It only happened once of all the times we cruised, we were downwind from them. Had to close the balcony door, as the smoke seemed to be drawn into our room.

Smoke, but no bugs.

During port days, when we have returned to our rooms, we sometimes found the curtains drawn to keep the room cool.

We love to sleep with the balcony door open.....until our aft balcony on X Century...we were right under the outdoor eatery and we had roaches join us most evenings, well we learned to shut the door.

Also I feel its not really fair to the cruise line to leave the door open unless like our last cruise when we left the door open the a/c shut off.

So there are indoor bugs as well, but only saw them on that ship:eek:

We're always in an inside cabin but sailing out of New Orleans a few years back we went up on deck around 10pm and it was covered with bugs. I guess we were still on the Mississippi and the bayou, swamp, whatever is filled with the little critters. Next morning we were in the Gulf and didn't see any sign of bugs again.

In 10+ cruises we've never seen a bug inside or outside (except that one night).

Always wondered about the birds following the ship when we're at sea for 3 days on a Repo. They must just follow us to the next port, nowhere else to go. Saw a small hawk on our last repo, kept landing on the rail on the top deck.

Tony

Bugs are rarely a problem on the balcony. When at sea the wind and the distance from land keeps the balcony bug free. Most port areas are not conducive to bugs because they are mostly concrete and few trees or standing water.

You may have a few bugs in some tropical ports but nothing to worry about.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks!

The odds are you would be more annoyed by smokers around you than bugs.

Weather permitting, we always sleep with the balcony door open. Although we have learned to close the sheer curtain across the opening as one morning we woke up while at sea with a bird sitting on the back of the chair on the balcony. Would have been so easy for that bird to fly into the room :eek:

Thanks!

i doubt any bugs are going to fly into your cabin, if they do offer them a drink. It doesn't take much to make them pass out. Then you can lift their little bodies right out and thrrow them overboard.

Nita

Agree, on RCI announcements are made to PLEASE close the door to the balcony and there is even a sign on the door to keep it closed. I don't think it is just for air conditioning but for potential fire hazard if someone throws a cigarette out it could land and set the balcony and room on fire. I always follow the requests of the ships, particularly when it pertains to safety.:)

(I know I am an RCL cruiser; I am thinking of Norwegian for Europe/Med. for 2nd tour with my husband.)

Be considerate, some people like it cool/cold when sleeping and on many ships when the balcony door is left open it will shut off the A/C in a row of cabins and not only your own.

Move the mattress outside if you want to sleep in atmosphere....:D

Uh...no....it would be the same if I turned off my AC whether the door was opened OR closed...

I like the sound of the sea -- what I didn't like was other people's SMOKE wafting into my room....

We sleep with the door just cracked. The curtain getting sucked through the door drives me crazy and then the sunlight can penetrate in the morning. But I love to hear the beloved "whoooossssshh-whoooosssssshhh!"

We have a balcony beginning this Sunday on the Pearl. Are you apt to hear more noise from the neighboring cabins because of it? We've always had the cocoon of the inside cabins far below where noise has never been an issue before so this will be a new experience.

We have a balcony beginning this Sunday on the Pearl. Are you apt to hear more noise from the neighboring cabins because of it? We've always had the cocoon of the inside cabins far below where noise has never been an issue before so this will be a new experience.

Well, that entirely depends on your neighbors. One time everyone was quiet at night and another there was a bunch of single middle aged ladies next door who liked to sit on their own balcony for a nightcap around 1am...

On the Dawn we were sandwiched between neighbors who liked to sit on their balconies while listening to the news. Really loud. All the time. We go on cruises to escape the news... That's the only time we've been really aware of neighbors. If it ever happens again, I think I might call the front desk.

Archived