WHY Indian Food ?

block

Not quite true: http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/hersheyban.asp

Going to have to go back to UK again sometime though to stock up on chocolate and cheese and onion crisps.

That's what I meant... Read same article. Manufacturing rights......

The only way you get the original stuff is bringing it from overseas.

• 2 weeks later...
Uhhh... Just relating to the topic of this thread. Never did I make such a narrow-minded statement.

My point is... Take a typical (and this is a generalized statement) "picky, untraveled or green" meat & potato eating person & give them a persimmon... You'll get a look like you're from outer space. They are the ones on line for pizza & burgers every day -- They are the ones that should try some local mofongo, posole, or jerk chicken, rabbit stew, curries, bubble & squeak.

And yes..... Some babaganoush or a samosa on a cruise ship wouldn't hurt either! What you consider a ho-hum Caribbean itinerary can be an ethnic culinary step, or wake up call to others.

I absolutely AGREE that you should immerse yourself in local culture & cuisine. It's such a part of a traveling experience!

Happy cruising & Eating!!!

Agree! Some people no matter how hard you try to convince them will always think they know better even though they haven't tried the majority of a cuisine and deem it nasty. Save your breath. More for us.

Also my friend just came back from an NCL cruise. First time for her on that line, Diamond on RCI. Said that line's food was the worst she's ever had. So I think it's fair to assume if you sail NCL and try their indian food you will also think all Indian food is gross.

Agree! Some people no matter how hard you try to convince them will always think they know better even though they haven't tried the majority of a cuisine and deem it nasty. Save your breath. More for us.

I don't like the spices of the Indian food I have tried. I don't consider Indian food nasty, in any way, but I just don't like what I have tried.

I would like to see a broader selection of international cuisine. Indian food is VERY plentiful where I live but Peruvian, Ecuadoran, El Salvadoran, Bolivian and Cuban food, all of which I love, are not easily found in my city.

Then I wasn't referring to you. I'm referring to people who have only tasted a few types of curries and now refuse to try anything else and say the entire cuisine is nasty and smells. Or worse, those who never tried it and say it's nasty. Though I'll admit, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing looking cuisine. Indian food is not all curry.

Also I've found land restaurants have better Indian food than on a cruise ship. Mostly bc it's made to order on land.

Then I wasn't referring to you. I'm referring to people who have only tasted a few types of curries and now refuse to try anything else and say the entire cuisine is nasty and smells. Or worse, those who never tried it and say it's nasty. Though I'll admit, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing looking cuisine. Indian food is not all curry.

Also I've found land restaurants have better Indian food than on a cruise ship. Mostly bc it's made to order on land.

You assume that items haven't been tried. I have tried many Indian foods and can not get past the sight of it (naan being an exception, I like that very much with hummus) or the smell of curry. I cook with some Indian spices (Cumin for example) but not curry. The smell literally makes me gag. And again, the visual of most Indian food is so off putting that it is undesirable. But the smell of curry is the real issue, and there is no Indian restaurant that doesn't reek of it from 30 feet away.

I once thought I wouldn't like indian food at all just because I don't care for strong curries. I don't like the smell of strong curries either. However, I discovered a few years back that I absolutely love tandoori dishes, and lately I've widened my horizons a bit to samosas, chicken tikka masala, and lamb prepared in saag sauce (spinach based). I also love saag paneer (indian cheese with creamy spinach). And the breads dipped in raita or a nice mango chutney are also items I enjoy very much. DH loves any curry, both Indian food and Thai food. On our cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway in July, if they have Indian food at the buffet at lunchtime, I'm going to try something new and see if I like it.

Indian food is a great option for vegetarians and some dishes for vegans as well. No one on my family is vegetarian or vegan, but I still like to see cruise lines making an effort to cater to different diets and different palates as well. There are certainly many other choices besides Indian food.

I remember years ago, NCL had a Mexican restaurant on some ships called Salsas. I wish they would bring that one back! Other ethnic specialty restaurants would be nice too, like Thai (even though it's not my favorite), Belgian, and German.

Give me a decent curry over a hamburger, hot dog or pizza on a buffet any day of the week. If you don't like it move on and find something you do like, it's offensive to label a whole nations cuisine nasty.

Grew up on the stuff as we have great curry in Scotland!!!

Cook a mean one at home too as decent curry is non existent in this neck of the woods. We do have a great Indian grocery store though which makes it easy to cook authentic dishes.

I think it's an opportunity to try something new...my first bite of Indian food was on board... Now it's my second favorite food. Use this opportunity to grow... If it doesn't appeal to you just move on. The reason it's called a buffet ... Because there is variety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by westwingjazz

I think it's an opportunity to try something new...my first bite of Indian food was on board... Now it's my second favorite food. Use this opportunity to grow... If it doesn't appeal to you just move on. The reason it's called a buffet ... Because there is variety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! I don't understand why some people have a problem with indian food being a choice. There are so many other choices (Italian, Asian, sandwiches, pizza, burgers, chicken, etc.). It's not like cruise ships only offer indian food, or even the majority of their food. The complaints about it are unwarranted. I realize some might not care for the smell of it, but others might not care for the smell of other foods on a buffet, plus the smell doesn't dissipate to where the tables are located anyway. And on the Jewel when we sailed in 2011, there was a station for just Indian food...even then there wasn't a strong smell.

Edited by bangzoom6877

• 3 weeks later...
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home." - James Michener

That is true - up to a point. There are many things I choose not to eat under any circumstances, preferring to experience some cultures, even my own, through music, literature, art, etc. I will GO anywhere, but I won't eat everything.

I know MANY people, in the USA and abroad who eat various international foods but have no interest in traveling to the places from where those foods come.

Edited by Bookish Angel

That is true - up to a point. There are many things I choose not to eat under any circumstances, preferring to experience some cultures, even my own, through music, literature, art, etc. I will GO anywhere, but I won't eat everything.

I know MANY people, in the USA and abroad who eat various international foods but have no interest in traveling to the places from where those foods come.

Excellent point. There are many ethnic foods I love but I don't have any interest in visiting those countries. And there are some cultures I have an interest in learning about but have tried the food and don't care for it. And in either case, it's nothing against that specific culture or country, just a matter of personal preference.

• 1 month later...
<snip> That being said, I love Indian food and on my past trips to England was absolutely thrilled with the food there, specifically the cosmopolitan hub that is London. The Indian food I had was just amazing, even in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant with only three small tables and crazy good food.

galensgirl: Concur heartily!

You will often be surprised at the quality and flavor you can find at the "mom-and-pop" (or would that be "mata aura pita"?) restaurants in unsuspected places. A few years ago, DW and I stopped a local Indian restaurant that was a recycled diner attached to a medium-sized motel. The restaurant was run by a young husband and wife who made all the food fresh. The decor was sparse and some of the seats' vinyl was repaired with tape, but the place was clean and the food was frikkin' incredible. _This_ was one of the times we were inspired to eat with our hands, which was a pleasing surprise to the proprietors that we knew how to do it and appreciated the food that much. Sadly, they have been closed for many years now. :( Same thing about appearances applies with a small Syrian restaurant we found in Allentown PA--recycled pizza joint by the look of the Formica and glass, a few tasteful decorations highlighting the owners' origins, and "food so good, you'll think we stole your mother!" :D as their motto reads. Nice people. Incredible Middle Eastern home cookin' for you to try.

For anyone interested, here's a link:

http://www.damascusrestaurantpa.com/

DW tells me of her times in Cairo, where the street vendors' food provided a cheap bountiful delicious feast for pennies, and nobody got ill from it.

Be adventurous and try some of the simple things in life! Prepackaged/standardized stuff may be safe, but it's not usually "interesting". Try the everyday food of the locale, you may find a hidden culinary and cultural treasure, and a memory to take home with you. And you'll get to interact more with the "real people" of the culture you're visiting--win/win/win!!!

Note: I am not related, socially or financially, to any business that I might mention, merely a rabid fan eager to share my good fortune.

I can't resist mentioning, I used to dislike Indian food too. For years and years I'd try it once a year at most, with friends or whatever, but never enjoyed it, so I quit trying. A couple of years ago, I tried a Samosa...and thought it pretty tasty, yet continued to turn down curries, etc. Finally, on our last cruise, we went to the Publunch and Hubby ordered chicken curry. It smelled delightful, so I tried, once again, to see if I liked it. Yessss I did! Pretty amazing how tastes really do change over time, if you keep your mind open. Honestly, I haven't tried any Indian food since, but, I won't be saying I hate it ever again. I plan to order it on my upcoming cruise too!

The sound of a mind opening is a beautiful sound!

Many happy inquisitive tastebuds to you and yours!

I LOVE food - but I can't seem to get past the smell of certain curries. I understand that curry can be different ingredients and not all taste like that pungent smell. I feel about curry the same way my husband feels about cilantro. The smell kills me. BUT I have heard of some milder curries that are fantastic although I wouldn't know where to start when ordering. Can someone suggest dish that I can "start" with? What exactly IS the ingredient with that smell? If I can just avoid THAT. (Sorry if this has been asked - I didn't read through all the pages).

I LOVE food - but I can't seem to get past the smell of certain curries. I understand that curry can be different ingredients and not all taste like that pungent smell. I feel about curry the same way my husband feels about cilantro. The smell kills me. BUT I have heard of some milder curries that are fantastic although I wouldn't know where to start when ordering. Can someone suggest dish that I can "start" with? What exactly IS the ingredient with that smell? If I can just avoid THAT. (Sorry if this has been asked - I didn't read through all the pages).

Taking a wild guess, you may be picking up on asafoetida, aka "Hing" in Hindi(?)/Punjabi(?), a very pungent spice with a distinctive smell. The smell can "get up your nose" quite easily, even for those who know what it is and have had it before in dishes. It _will_ clear your sinuses.

If it makes you feel any better, asafoetida was also burned, along with sulfur , gunpowder, and rotting fish :eek:, during the American Revolution in stink-bomb grenades for use in ship-to-ship boarding parties!

If you do find that Hing is your bete noir of Indian cuisine, from what I've found it is used in "Sambar" dishes, but also in various dals (lentils/beans/pulses).

Suggest you try some of the kormas, which are a milder cream-based sauce dish, and can be wonderfully delicate in flavors. Biryanis (rice-based dishes may be a good starting point. Dishes made with Jalfrezi seasoning might work. If in doubt, ask the cook or restaurant manager. Most of the tandoori dishes I've seen do not include hing in the spice mixture.

Here's hoping you find your happy medium, without asafoetida.

Taking a wild guess, you may be picking up on asafoetida, aka "Hing" in Hindi(?)/Punjabi(?), a very pungent spice with a distinctive smell. The smell can "get up your nose" quite easily, even for those who know what it is and have had it before in dishes. It _will_ clear your sinuses.

If it makes you feel any better, asafoetida was also burned, along with sulfur , gunpowder, and rotting fish :eek:, during the American Revolution in stink-bomb grenades for use in ship-to-ship boarding parties!

If you do find that Hing is your bete noir of Indian cuisine, from what I've found it is used in "Sambar" dishes, but also in various dals (lentils/beans/pulses).

Suggest you try some of the kormas, which are a milder cream-based sauce dish, and can be wonderfully delicate in flavors. Biryanis (rice-based dishes may be a good starting point. Dishes made with Jalfrezi seasoning might work. If in doubt, ask the cook or restaurant manager. Most of the tandoori dishes I've seen do not include hing in the spice mixture.

Here's hoping you find your happy medium, without asafoetida.

Thank you SO MUCH! I appreciate you taking the time to post this. Can't wait to try some Indian food!

Thank you SO MUCH! I appreciate you taking the time to post this. Can't wait to try some Indian food!

Why let one aspect of a cuisine stop you from the entire rest of a very interesting journey? Besides, we never even started talking about the exquisite Indian desserts;).

• 1 month later...
I live in an area with 6,000 East Indians. Until I moved here, I had no idea that Indian food was so tasty. I find it fortunate that Indians are a very sharing culture and my Indian neighbors often bring food to my home.

You lucky dog!:D You'll be blessed with lots of real Indian "home cookin'", which is one thing most folk don't get a chance to sample.

Enjoy! (and report back!)

• 1 month later...

I love Indian food personally, from the appetizers like pakoras and samosas to curries, to tandoori, and the breads ...

I also like/love other foods I don't get to eat often, including ethnic (Middle Eastern, etc). One reason I am looking forward to my cruise in November is the possibility of sampling different things. Something "non ethnic" I am dying to try is Beef Wellington.

And if I want comfort food (hamburgers, chicken wings, etc) that is available as well.

PS: I like spicy food but not too spicy. I had a lamb vindaloo dish once that blew off the top of my head!

Edited by Presbycruiser

To be honest, up to a few years ago, I'd only tried Indian food a couple of times and it was too hot/spicy for me.

But then I was at a an Indian/Something Fusion restaurant and our waitress suggested Indian Butter Chicken..... omg it was amazing!! I loved it so much I immediately searched online for a recipe and made it a couple of weeks later.

It's now one of our family's favorites, and we try new Indian recipes from time to time; some are winners, some are not... but we definitely love the blending of all the spices, and the velvety richness that's just unlike anything else!!:D