Hard to do 7 day cruises after a 10?

psbhappy

In a word, yes. We find that 7 days is just not enough time to really relax. And, with airline travel such a hassle, it makes sense to go for as long as we can.

I am self employed and my husband is retired, so we are fortunate to be able to travel for longer periods of time than many people. For us, we like the B2B, or 12 days or more. We started with 7 days, moved to 12 days, and this year we did 14 days and 20 days by going B2B. Next year it is 27 days and 22 days, again by going B2B. Just can't get enough!

Take it one day at a time, relax, and enjoy!

It is only three days difference. Sure it is more relaxing to have a few more days, but most people who do long cruises do the occasional short one as well.

I just got off a HAL cruise on Europe Many of my travel companions were on for up to 30 days as none of the itineraries repeated (ie Holy Land, Black Sea, Med, TA).

So I was the one doing the short cruise at 12 days.

People approach 7 day cruises with such intensity, it's as if they're attacking the cruise. This, to me, is the biggest difference between 7 and 10 day cruises-your fellow passengers. People are just a bit more laid back on 10 night cruises, and, frankly, I think the crew is too. Turnaround days are really tough for the crew, and the extra 3 days seem to relax everybody.

We took a 7 night cruise last January immediately following B2B 10 night cruises, and it was a whole different sport. As for the food...our appetites always seem to start to fade about day 8 or 9, but we just make different choices.

We have to plan vacations around DH's school breaks. Last year we were fortunate to take two 7-day and one 10-day cruise. The 7-day ones were great. I'm glad we went instead of not going and 10-day cruises would not have fit his schedule.

For Christmas, we always look at cruises that are at least 10 days.

You're probably right. I did a 10 day Christmas cruise a year ago and have one planned for this year. That was after only doing 7 day cruises. 10 days is great. I think I would find 7 too short now. If that's all I can afford, I'll do it, but I'd rather do 10 or more days now. You really get to learn the ship plus enjoy the island and ship more.

We've gone from doing 10 and 12 night cruises to a 7 night in the carribean, but we tacked 2 nights on before and 3 nights on after the cruise at an awsome hotel in San Juan - so the vacation seemed longer. We got a great deal on the cruise so we evened out with the extra costs of the hotel pre/post cruise. The 7 days flew by but were enjoyed this vacation and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

We wouldn't do a 7 day as with the travel involved it just wouldn't be worth it. Our trouble is we love Princess and the perks keep us coming back. Unfortunately Princess has not changed their 10 day itenerary in the past 6 or so years so we are tired of always repeating the same ports so after we go this March we will give it a break until they come up with a new 10 day to the Caribbean. A mix of East/West or even just to add St. Marten, St. Vincent and some of the other islands to the mix would be good.

You will love the 10 day!

Everyone's different, but we are solidly in the "7 days is way too short" camp. We'll take 'em if that's the only choice due to something beyond our control, but we somehow feel cheated at the end of 7 days - we're just getting fully relaxed and want time to enjoy that feeling and rejuvenate. The same is true of land vacations for us.

Regarding eating - we have found, and others have reported, that somewhere between 7 and 10 days one just gives up and starts eating responsibly.

After just doing an 11 day cruise (on RCL), I have to agree with this cruiser. We think we would feel cheated as well on a 7 day cruise. Just when you start to relax, you get debarkation info in your cabin! I loved that we had about 8-9 days before we even started to think about getting off the ship. I would do a 7 day if the $ and intinerary were right ....but now would really prefer the longer cruises.

My last 7 day cruise was in 2004, until last week. I had free airfare and a chance to get away from the MN winter, so I did another 7 day cruise. It really is too short, went by so fast. However I knew that would be true so didn't bitch and just enjoyed the time I had. Would I do another 7 day? Under the right conditions, yes. But I much prefer the longer ones and will do them as often as I can.

Not even worth the hassle of packing/unpacking for 7 days anymore. We did the 107 day WC last year and LOVED it! Leaving for 6 weeks in early Feb; and a month in Aug. We like being home but LOVE being on a cruise ship...although with grandkids now - I do have mixed emotions...but Skype and email helps.:p

Our last cruise was a 16 day TA Venice to FLL. It was heaven and we LOVED the days at sea crossing the ocean. In two weeks we are taking a 7 day Western Car. I am sure it will be too short and I wish we had the time to do a longer cruise, but I am so happy to just get away from the cold and be cruising again.

After having done several longer (Panama Canal & Hawaii) cruises, a 7 day just doesn't do it. The way to make a 7 day acceptable is to do as some have suggested, extend your vacation either before or after your cruise. When we did a 7 day Alaska cruise last year we extended it with 3 days before the cruise in the Denali area. Fantastic start and after doing as much as we could in those 3 days, the 7 days on the ship were very relaxing. We had been away from the real world long enough and had gotten into vacation mode by the time we got to the ship.

7-day cruise is too short, heck, even 10-day cruise is too short. Just when you unwind, it's time to leave. 16-day cruise is about right for us. Couldn't be away from work that long anyway. If we are going on a 7-day cruise, have to be sure there is a really good stop before or after the cruise for a few days to make it worthwhile. To be honest, I'm never that anxious to get back to work. :D

The shortest cruise we have ever done was 21 days we prefer the longer ones we have a 25 day on the Sun next followed by 39 on the diamond in Feb 2012 and see what happens in the mean time could not be bothered unpacking for 7 days and enjoy longer cruises for the sea days

David and Maureen:D

We did mostly 7 day cruises while we were working. After a 14 day and an unplanned 23 day cruise (blame the Chilean Earthquake) didn't know how a 7 day would feel. The 7 day Alaskan cruise was great because of what we saw. Are doing a 7 day to Vancouver but will be staying several days to see friends in Vancouver and Seattle post cruise. 7 days RT out of San Pedro are worth it to us because it is a driving cruise.

Ever since we did our first 12 day cruise in 1999, I've had had a hard time doing 7 day cruises. In fact, we've only done one after that. Now the two 18 day T/A's I've done recently make my upcoming 14 day Hawaii cruise, in 9 days and a bag drag, too short.....:):D:)

Bob

About 70% of our cruises have been 7 days. For those still working and/or without vacation that is as flexible, 7 days is just the most practical option. I have enjoyed our cruises that were longer than 7 days. but I don't feel rushed on the 7 day versions.

There is of course, the cost factor as well, more days on the cruises means more cost generally speaking. However, I have recently realized something ... for the 7day southern itineraries out of SJU, given the added cost of the flights vs. FLL we could have cruised the 10 day itinerary for almost the same cost. So it does pay to compare as well.

I agree with other posters, we like the longer cruises. We usually do a longer 14 day cruise every other year and then a 7 day in the "off" year. It lets us be on a ship while saving money for the longer cruise the following year. 7 day is better then no cruise but you just get into it and then it is over and saddness reigns.:(

7 days is fine for working people and limited time off, limited flexibility because you can do it with one week off work. But 10-12 days is more worthwhile, depending on where you are going, especially if you use the cruise ship as a vehicle to see Europe and other places. I could not do 10 days in the Caribbean, one island is just like the next.

Archived