What Do You Like About Princess?

Denali2003

Don't know if this thread has already been done or not.

What do you like about cruising with Princess? What are some good/great experiences you have had? What are some not so good experiences?

I've heard quite a few people say that they do not like the beds on Princess. I actually like them. I've also heard people say that there is NO top (flat) sheet on the bed. Really? Hmmmm, I've never noticed. I've also heard that some people have to ask for a bedspread because they don't like the duvet. I've always had a white down comforter on our beds on every cruise. The duvet was taken off when they turned down the bed at night. I've actually gotten spoiled with the down comforters. No, we have not asked for them - they are on the beds.

We've been on 5 cruises (6th one coming up in March) haven't had any real bad experiences. A few things we didn't like. We don't like the smaller ships. The Royal (cruised in 2010) was the first (and last) small ship we were on. The ship itself is BEAUTIFUL! But there's really not much to do. The pool is very small and not in good shape. There was peeled paint floating in the hottubs. We had an Aft Cabin and it was loud and vibrated ALOT. It felt like someone was standing at the foot of the bed moving it back & forth.

On the good side - the staff on the Royal was the friendliest I have ever seen. Alot of them greeted us by first name - bartenders, waitstaff, steward. In fact, DH was sick for a couple of days and stayed in the cabin. When the crew saw me, they asked where my husband was. They noticed that they had not seen him in a while. I thought that was very nice that they noticed.

On the Crown - the staff was not so friendly. Cruised on the Crown in 2007. We really only found 1 really friendly crew member and that was the cabin steward. She was real sweet.

On the Coral (2003) We did traditional dining. Our head waitress would tell us if the food we were ordering was good that day or not. I liked the honesty. I ordered something and she said "you don't want to eat that today. It didn't come out good".

On the Grand (2009) DH & I loved the Cruise Director (Stewart) and another crew member - can't remember his title - but his name was Collin. The 2 of them did the morning show every morning. They were GREAT!!!!! I watched them every morning. They were funny. Especially Collin with the "drink of the day". He would sample it or drink the whole thing. Another great crew member - was Jorge. He did the trivia almost every day. He had an accent and some times we could not understand him, but it made it more fun. Some times we would joke around with him and make him repeat something. He knew we were joking around. (when I say we - I mean everyone who was playing trivia.)

Definitely make "friends" with a crew member or two. It can make your cruise more enjoyable. When you see them, you can stop and say hi, how's it going. They may even give you some advice about the ship or the happenings on the ship.

I love so much about Princess!

The itineraries are probably the best. I do love their ships - large and small. The decor and feel of the ships is second to none. It's elegant, simple and tasteful. There is always a quiet spot to be found on a Princess ship, even if there are thousands of people on board.

The cabins are huge compared to industry standard. I've found the crew to be friendly and pleasant.

I like the quick check in process. Princess has excellent port times as well.

I have found the beds to be both too hard and too soft at times. My husband and I just request an egg crate mattress topper and that seems to help things quite a bit.

Regarding blankets, we've always had the down comforter with duvet. That is what we have at home and we really enjoy it on the ship. We've always had a flat sheet. I guess if you don't get one - ask for it. The room stewards/stewardesses are always very accommodating.

Sometimes the gift shop staff seems kind of stuck up and not very attentive. If this happens I always fill out a comment card. To me retail staff should be equal to Nordstrom staff - especially on a cruise line such as Princess Cruises.

Other than that, we love Princess. They are our cruise line of choice and actually our vacation choice.

We have been on all the ships you were on plus a few others except the new Crown and we probably won't go on it or its twins.

That is our delima we do not like the ships with the extra deck so we don't go on them.

The new ones coming out looks like they have tried to modify the poor space ratio at approx 40 so we will give them a try.

Other than that there #1.

We have been on all the ships you were on plus a few others except the new Crown and we probably won't go on it or its twins.

That is our delima we do not like the ships with the extra deck so we don't go on them.

The new ones coming out looks like they have tried to modify the poor space ratio at approx 40 so we will give them a try.

Other than that there #1.

What do you mean by "extra deck"?

We also like the fact that Princess is NOT a party ship. It has families & children, but you don't see them running around screaming.

We also like that there can be 3,600 passengers and you would never know it. The way their ships are layed out, you don't have a thousand people in one area at a time. If there are, you can't tell.

I'm not a great Princess fan (so far the food and entertainment have been fair on the cruises we've had), but we take her cruises because of the itinerary. I also like the outside promenade deck - it's nice for long walks since three laps is one mile.

And the pizza is fantastic. Best food item on the ship.

The suite perks are also terrific! I absolutely love the chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room every afternoon. Certainly makes up for some of our other disappoinments.

We have sailed on the Star, Diamond, and Coral, and are booked on the Ocean and the Crown this year. We like the itineraries, and the cruise fare is reasonable. We have sailed on Regent, which is nice, but it has gotten too expensive for us.

After this next cruise I will be Elite, but I am interested in it for the perks, not for any snobbishness. I have been on a fair number of cruises, but that pales in comparison to the cruisers with 50,75 or 100 cruises.

The food is good, the coffee palatable, and the shore excursions are well organized.

I've enjoyed 10 Princess cruises and 10 on other lines. We keep coming back to Princess because I can usually find a better price. We've enjoyed the free Internet minutes. The food, entertainment, and service has been as good on Princess as on other lines. And, like the OP, the beds are fine for me.

What do you mean by "extra deck"?

Hi Kelley!

On the Caribbean Princess and newer ships, Princess added a deck of cabins between Aloha and Lido - Riveria deck. That also added 500 more passengers.

Grand didn't have the extra decks and frankly, Grand vs CB vs Crown - I just didn't think the newer ships felt any more crowded than Grand.

Overall, I like to sail on Princess because they are not party cruises, there's a consistency in design and layout so if you board a "new" ship, it feels familiar. I also prefer their past passenger loyalty program; it's so nice to pack for a cruise and know you can send clothing out daily to be washed if you want. When I get home, there's almost nothing to toss in the laundry. :)

I have no problem with the beds and find them comfortable. No, there's no top sheet because there are covered duvets.

Itineraries are pretty good but IMHO, not as good as HAL's. I rank three of my HAL cruises among the top four I've ever taken. I will continue to cruise both lines.

What do I like about Princess? Well.....there is the staff (friendliest around). There is MUTS. There are the great itineraries. There is the delicious pizza. There is Crooners (love the cosmos, and love it best if Arny G is playing and singing). And many many more things.

What do I dislike? Nothing.

On the only ship I was on the Caribbean Princess, I loved all the crew/staff, and the food is great and I love the Lotus Pool and to sum it up, basically the whole ship :D but what I didn't like was the shows in the theater pretty boring if you ask me but I think our Cruises Director Dan was pretty funny on the first night and during the movies at night at MUTS the popcorn was pretty bad, lol

Archived