Enjoying a drink in your stateroom - RCCL newbie

shellsrus

I am new to RCCL. Have cruised a lot on HAL and Celebrity, now trying a sailing on the Voyager. Am I wrong or does it seem like RCCL really doesn't want you having a drink in your stateroom? Of course, you can't bring alcohol on board (unlike HAL) and it appears that the wine packages must be consumed in the dining venues. Looks like you can purchase wine a bottle at a time for your cabin at full price, but that's it. Am I missing something?

How have you veteran RCCL cruisers handled this? My experience is many guests really enjoy having a drink in their staterooms, especially in verandah categories. Is RCCL really trying to discourage this?

On a different question, is RCCL accomodating about seating for fixed dining? How do you request your preference? Is the maitre'd available on board to take requests, e.g. table for two?

Thanks for any insights.

You can go to the bar and get drinks and bring back to your cabin. If you have a wine package you can get a bottle to take back to your cabin. My wife and I would only have a glass or two at dinner and bring the rest of our bootle back to our cabin , for either that night or next day before dinner. On our last cruise I actually seen one man walking around the ship with his bottle and a glass, Im not sure if that allowed though.

They don't want you to have bottles of booze in your stateroom, but you can have a glass or bottle of wine, bring a beer or drink back w/ you from any of the many bars, lounges, theatre, etc. or perhaps even order a drink from room service (I've never done that, but I have heard others talk about doing so).

We have asked our waiter to get us a bottle from our package unopened so we can take it to the room.

We have also had bartenders pour us our liquor of choice without ice, so we could take it back to the room and mix it with soda. If you have gotten to know said bartender you might get enough in the glass to make more than one drink.(tipping helps)

If you like beer, you can order a few bottles and ask they dont open them.

We always bring bottles back to the room.....If we want some for the pm, when I go to the Windjammer for lunch, I order it there or most of the time, we plan ahead, and ask our waiter at dinner to bring us a full bottle from our wine package before we leave. We do not carry it around on the ship, but never had any issue ordering bottles to take with us. It's nice to have a glass while sitting on our balcony or preparing to go for dinner....! :D

You request your dining preference when you book. On embarkation day the Maitre D' will be available at one of the dining rooms, usually the first level one, to take requests for a different table if you do not care for your assigned table. This usually starts at 1 PM. We have been able to usually get a table for two at this time, but have NEVER been assigned a table for two as we initally request. We have switched from traditional to My Time Dining on the past several cruises because there are many tables for two in that area.

Is RCCL really trying to discourage this?

Thanks for any insights.

RCCL is trying to discourage three thing - underage drinking, over drinking (due to liability issues) and to limit cutting into their bottom line in bar sales & profits which can be and is substantial. Yes, it's a hassle to leave your cabin, go to one of bar and purchase a drink to bring it back to your cabin. Yes, you may be a responsibly drinker, but think about underage drinker who could sneak bottle of booz and drink it in their cabin. The only control RCCL has is to screen luggage and have a no bring your own booz onboard the ship for everyone. Yes, it sucks but that their policy; unfortunate, most other then the very expensive upscale luxury line have this policy. The only other way around this is to use Rumrunners in your checked luggage which seem to go undetected in most cases. However, if you're caught you will be called down to the naughty room where your booz will be confiscated and destroyed.

You can go to the bar and get drinks and bring back to your cabin. If you have a wine package you can get a bottle to take back to your cabin. My wife and I would only have a glass or two at dinner and bring the rest of our bootle back to our cabin , for either that night or next day before dinner. On our last cruise I actually seen one man walking around the ship with his bottle and a glass, Im not sure if that allowed though.

Give the guy some credit! At least he was using a glass and not straight from the bottle! ;)

I am new to RCCL. Have cruised a lot on HAL and Celebrity, now trying a sailing on the Voyager. Am I wrong or does it seem like RCCL really doesn't want you having a drink in your stateroom? Of course, you can't bring alcohol on board (unlike HAL) and it appears that the wine packages must be consumed in the dining venues. Looks like you can purchase wine a bottle at a time for your cabin at full price, but that's it. Am I missing something?

How have you veteran RCCL cruisers handled this? My experience is many guests really enjoy having a drink in their staterooms, especially in verandah categories. Is RCCL really trying to discourage this?

On a different question, is RCCL accomodating about seating for fixed dining? How do you request your preference? Is the maitre'd available on board to take requests, e.g. table for two?

Thanks for any insights.

Hi shellsrus,

RCCL are more than happy for you to drink alcohol in your stateroom provided that you purchase it from them, in fact the fridge in the staterooms are packed with various alcohol and soft drinks and bottled water and if you consume them your attendant will replenish them, and add them to your on board account, in your cabin you will find all the items priced on a list.

You can pre cruise order your wine for use at the dinner table and also for some to be delivered to your stateroom,which must be stated when you place your order, we generally order and pay on the phone, and they will e mail you with confirmation.

As you have mentioned they will not allow any alcohol to be taken on board.

Regarding fixed dining, you need to tell your travel agent to request RCCL of your dining preference ie first or second seating and the size of table.

When we first board any ship we generally check with the Maitre;d straight away, and confirm that our table request has been actioned, you can ask to see your table and check where it is located, they will try hard to make you happy.

You should enjoy the Voyager, she's got a lot of wow factor.

Hope that this explains things a little, if you need any more info I would be happy to help if I can.

Thanks for any insights.

You just opened the cage for the 600 lb gorilla in the room.

There are many opinions about this. I don't think RCL has a problem with pax drinking in their cabins as much as whether they smuggled the booze aboard or not. Like any business RCL wants to maximize their revenues and the bar is a main source of revenue for them.

As to your dining room question - the maitre'd will gladly take your request. The ability to accomodate you will depend on demand for a table for 2. I have found that more often than not they have been able to meet our requests.

Give the guy some credit! At least he was using a glass and not straight from the bottle! ;)

I give him credit, I wouldnt be bold enough to do it. Exactly Im glad he had hte glass with him. Just wasnt sure if RCCl would have a problem with it.

I give him credit, I wouldnt be bold enough to do it. Exactly Im glad he had hte glass with him. Just wasnt sure if RCCl would have a problem with it.

Can't imagine why as long as he purchased the wine from them.

Thanks all. Sounds like you can actually enjoy a drink in your cabin. I will probably do a wine package and take a bottle back from the dining room each night. Seems kind of silly that they won't deliver the package to your stateroom. The idea of buying a drink at a bar to take back doesn't appeal to me.

I must say I like HAL's policy a lot better. All the wine or beer or soda you can lug aboard!

We've ordered wine for the cabin. Since there are bars all over the ship, it's really less than 2 minutes to find a drink, and another 2 max to get back to your cabin. I don't think they discourage this, so I'm not sure where you are getting your information.

We are sailing Oasis in March and we are going to order the wine package but, in addition, we are going to order a bottle or two from Gifts and Gear to have waiting in the stateroom when we arrive. Although, I cringe at the prices!

We sailed on Celebrity about two years ago, where we could bring our own wine, and I wil admit we did smuggle some liquor without any problems. However, we found that once we were out and about, dinner, shows, etc. we did not want to be bothered going back to the room. Enjoying a glass or two getting ready in the evening is about all we need in the room.

justfred is incorrect. RCI does NOT stock the fridges with anything alcoholic!

oh my gosh! I'm not going to tell my husband this. He loves those overpriced little bottles of liquor that Celebrity stocks in their room fridges. He's going to have a fit when he walks into the room on Oasis in May. lol

Archived