Help choosing a 14 day itinerary please

CherylsCaribbeanTravel

I'm going to post this on a few Europe destination boards since there doesn't appear to be one large Europe. If there is a better way to ask these questions, without posting multiple topics, please inform.

Background: Two females. Safety is a concern. I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to cruising Europe. Please help us choose a great 10-14 day itinerary. We will do pre & post stays. Late June, all of July, or early August. My travel partner is new to cruising and she feels this will probably be her one time to visit Europe.

We would like to go Greece unless there is a reason to avoid this area. We're primarily interested in site seeing. We are beach people, but I don't see us spending a great deal of time on the beach this trip.

I've sailed all the mainstream lines (NCL, Princess, HAL, RCL, Carnival, etc...) and have absolutely no preference for line/ship. I am looking for a itinerary first and foremost. Since we have never been to Europe before, we are open to any suggestions.

The itinerary that has caught my attention is the 14 day Norwegian Jade which departs from Venice. Any pros/cons to departing from Venice over other ports? Itinerary includes: Venice, Corfu, Sanotorini, Mykonss, Dubrovnik Croatia, Athens, Izmir Turkey, & Split Croatia.

I also really like HAL's 12 night on the Neiuw. I feel it is a better variety for a first time trip to Europe. Departs from Venice, but returns from Barcelona. However, the flights are outrageous. Has anyone figured out a way to do reasonable flights if you aren't purchasing round trip from the same port? This itinerary includes: Venice, Dubrovnik, Curfo, ARgostoli, Santorini, straight of Messina, Catania, Naples, Rome, Florance, and Barcelona.

I'm open to all others. Which 10-14 day would you choose?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

Cheryl :)

Maybe it's just my personal preference but your first trip (notice I said "first" :rolleyes: ) should include Rome. There is just no other place like it. Period.

As a side note: the second itinerary gives you a much more varied list of ports...... thus giving you a much more varied experience. Which I think is a good thing for your "first" to Europe.

We did a "repositioning" cruise our first time over. Started in Rome and ended in Barcelona. These are nice since you don't repeat a port.

Have you looked at Celebrity ? Our second trip we started in Rome, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul(overnight) Kusadasi, Athens, Naples and Rome. Owned by same co. as owns Royal Caribbean - just a step up..... we loved this cruise and the ports !!

but if a choice between the two you listed - I would go with HAL.

Alll good questions and a lot depends on your budget and time contraints. In an ideal world we think it makes the most sense to choose a cruise that begins and ends at different port and then you can fly-in a few days early and leave a few days late and get to have some real land time mixed with your cruise. As to airfares, the situation is bad because all the airlines have increased their fares and reduced flights due to fuel costs. But if you are doing your own air you should not pay much extra for flying in and out of different cities. You need to book what is called an "open jaw" fare which you can price out at any of the good bookng engines. If you go onto places like Orbitz or Expedia and click on the multi options it lest you put together open jaw combinations. You can also telephone some of the decent "airline consolidators" that specialize in these types of fares. Many of these consolidators (discounters) advertise in places like the NY Times travel section. Some local TAs also work with consolidators (as opposed to booking directly with airlines) so it pay to stop in some decent local TAs and ask if they offer this kind of service.

Hank

Of the two itineraries you post, I'd vote for the HAL cruise for the same reasons as Texancruzer gives -- namely, Rome! :D All kidding aside, it does hit more of the ports that first-time visitors know about and want to see.

You might also check out Princess' "Grand Mediterranean" itinerary. It is a roll-call of the highlights of the Med and has been very popular among first-time Med cruisers.

As to timing, I would avoid August and probably also July if possible. June (the earlier the better) would be better both from the perspective of crowds and heat.

Princess Grand Med:

Start/ends in Barcelona/Venice

Ports stops inbetween for: Athens, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Kusadasi ( Ephesus ), Istanbul, Naples ( Amalfi/Pompeii ) and a two other smaller stops.

When I was looking couldn't find a better line up and since you start and stop in two different ports get extra time in two wonderful cities. The tradeoff is getting more time for Rome.

Princess Grand Med:

Start/ends in Barcelona/Venice

Ports stops inbetween for: Athens, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Kusadasi ( Ephesus ), Istanbul, Naples ( Amalfi/Pompeii ) and a two other smaller stops.

When I was looking couldn't find a better line up and since you start and stop in two different ports get extra time in two wonderful cities. The tradeoff is getting more time for Rome.

We did this and loved it. I second this recommendation and it is on the Ruby Princess, which is a very nice ship. The biggest surprises were the two Turkey stops. Now I can't imagine having taken a first great Med cruise without Istanbul and Kusadasi (Ephesus). Our beach day was Mykonos. But I think that entire trip amazing.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far!! I've sailed on the Caribbean Princess, so I'm familiar with the Ruby. I realize it's a nicer ship than the Star.

Since several people have recommended Rome, would there be a benefit to including Rome as an debarkation port? We could stay a few extra days in Rome.

The Star Princess has the following itinerary:

Venice (overnight at embarkation)

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Katakolon, Greece

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Rhodes, Greece

Santorini, Greece

Naples/Capri, Italy

Rome, Italy

The Ruby Princess Itinerary:

Venice (overnight at embarkation)

Athens, Greece

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul, Turkey

Mykonos, Greece

Naples/Capri, Italy

Rome, Italy

Florence, Italy

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Barcelona, Spain

As far as Princess goes, Are either of these significantly better than the other?

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Cheryl

You have to decide if you are willing to give up a couple beach days on the Greek Islands for Istanbul and Barcelona. I thought Istanbul is one of those ports that you don't want to miss. We also enjoyed Barcelona after the cruise. I would go with the Ruby Grand Med. But we were okay with one beach day. You might want more and may want to spend more time in Rome.

It is better to to disembark in Rome and spend a few days since it is about an hour and a half from the port. As a port stop you don't have enough time to even scratch the surface. It really comes down to weather you want to go to Istanbul. I really love the Greek Islands especially Santorini so I would choose the Star. You need to really look at the ports and decide which ones you want to see. I have done the Star itinerary on the Grand and you can read the review in my signiture.

I would recommend the Ruby itinerary "Grand Med" over the Star "Greek Isles". Unfortunately the trade-off is only having a day in Rome.

However, if your schedule allows, it would be easy to spend a few days in Rome either before or after your trip. Trains from Venice to Rome take about 4 hours. So if you depart from Venice, you could fly into Rome for 3 days, then head to Venice on the train. Or vice versa.

I just don't think the Greek Isles are as exciting for a first-time Med visitor. But then.....I am not a beach person. I prefer cities, museums, and history.

I would recommend the Ruby itinerary "Grand Med" over the Star "Greek Isles". Unfortunately the trade-off is only having a day in Rome.

However, if your schedule allows, it would be easy to spend a few days in Rome either before or after your trip. Trains from Venice to Rome take about 4 hours. So if you depart from Venice, you could fly into Rome for 3 days, then head to Venice on the train. Or vice versa.

I just don't think the Greek Isles are as exciting for a first-time Med visitor. But then.....I am not a beach person. I prefer cities, museums, and history.

I also just noticed that the Star does not stop in Livorno for Florence. Maybe that makes the decision even easier.

Oh man, you keep up-ing the ante........

More time in Rome or visit Istanbul ......... arrrgghhh that is a hard one as we love both......

but I would have to go with the Ruby itinerary. There I picked one :o

While we enjoyed Dubrovnik, Corfu, Mykonos and Santorini, the Ruby one gives you the Amalfi coast - Naples stop (drop dead gorgeous place !) Florence (which we also loved) Athens (which is stupendous) and a quick dip into France (Monaco is right next to Nice/Eze etc) and Barcelona was one of my dh's favorites. We thoroughly enjoyed both our stops in Turkey (Istanbul we overnighted and Kusadasi).

I would try to do as Cynthia suggested tho...... fly into Rome spend a few days, train to Venice and go from there. Again, Rome is special.

ps: I am also a Cheryl :D

Big thanks to everyone who took time to reply!! After much thought, we sacrificed Rome to the lions have decided upon the Ruby Princess, staying 3 nights in Barcelona and 3 nights in Venice. The reverse itinarary worked better in our schedule:

Barcelona, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Florence, Italy

Rome, Italy

Napels/Capri, Italy

At Sea

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Kusadasi, Turkey

Athens, Greece

At Sea

Venice

I don't think we could go wrong with either, but it boiled down to variety. I'll have to hit up Rome for more than 13 hours another time :)

Thanks again!

Big thanks to everyone who took time to reply!! After much thought, we sacrificed Rome to the lions have decided upon the Ruby Princess, staying 3 nights in Barcelona and 3 nights in Venice. The reverse itinarary worked better in our schedule:

Barcelona, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Florence, Italy

Rome, Italy

Napels/Capri, Italy

At Sea

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Kusadasi, Turkey

Athens, Greece

At Sea

Venice

I don't think we could go wrong with either, but it boiled down to variety. I'll have to hit up Rome for more than 13 hours another time

Thanks again!

Cheryl

Good choice...... just remember that with this itinerary (a VERY busy one!) you will need to make sure your sea days are R-E-L-A-X-I-N-G and pick one or two ports for a more relaxed day - otherwise you will be exhausted by the end of the trip :eek:

Mykonos is a great port to "take it easy" We enjoyed just exploring this area....stopping in shops, or a gyro (YUM!) checking out the fish market and windmills...... even heading back to the ship earlier than we normally would. Of course dh then went back ashore for a short run ! No doubt, you will have a wonderful time :D

We did that itinerary in reverse and also used Mykonos for a beach/pool day. Saint John Resort has day passes. They even picked us up and brought us back to the ship. They are right on the beach, have a beautiful pool, pool grill, and a spa. Kusadasi is also a short day (but a great one at the ruins in Ephesus). You can certainly relax that afternoon. It really is a great itinerary. I thought it would be my once in a lifetime cruise to the Med. But it was such a great vacation that we're going back this summer and bringing the kids. Unfortunately, we can't afford to take four and do the Ruby Princess Grand Med again. But we are going back for the 9-day Carnival Med on the Magic. Enjoy the Ruby Princess and that incredible itinerary.

The itinerary that has caught my attention is the 14 day Norwegian Jade which departs from Venice. Any pros/cons to departing from Venice over other ports? Itinerary includes: Venice, Corfu, Sanotorini, Mykonss, Dubrovnik Croatia, Athens, Izmir Turkey, & Split Croatia.

I also really like HAL's 12 night on the Neiuw. I feel it is a better variety for a first time trip to Europe. Departs from Venice, but returns from Barcelona. However, the flights are outrageous. Has anyone figured out a way to do reasonable flights if you aren't purchasing round trip from the same port? This itinerary includes: Venice, Dubrovnik, Curfo, ARgostoli, Santorini, straight of Messina, Catania, Naples, Rome, Florance, and Barcelona.

I'm open to all others. Which 10-14 day would you choose?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

I might be biased, but I took the Nieuw Amsterdam cruise you have listed...same stops, it was awesome and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Plus going to Oia (on santorini) is maybe the most beautiful place ever. Walking the wall in Dubrovnik is a must do as well.

We did our airfare like this: *we did 1 stop over for cost purposes*

Newark to Barcelona -- Barcelona to Venice (about 2 hour stopover in BCN)

Barcelona to Lisbon -- Lisbon to Newark (about 2 hour stopover in Lisbon).

The cost for this flight last year in october was about 850 PP.

I also agree with another poster, your first (and maybe only) trip to europe must contain Rome. Rome is a personal favorite for me. I love it. Of course only 11 hours in port you dont see as much as you could staying there but, wow, just a beautiful city. I'd highly suggest extending your stay in Barcelona at least 2-3 days. We only stayed over there 1 night off the ship and regret it.

Man I'm jealous! I want to take this trip again!

I also loved HAL and the Nieuw Amsterdam. The staff is great, the ship was great. I enjoyed the food...the entertainment. I really have no complaints.

Whichever you choose you'll have a great time, but for me, there's no comparison, take the 12 day HAL :-)

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies. I have decided upon the Ruby Princess Itinerary.

One more question, Is there any particular benefit to port vs. starboard for a balcony cabin?

Barcelona, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Florence, Italy

Rome, Italy

Napels/Capri, Italy

At Sea

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Kusadasi, Turkey

Athens, Greece

At Sea

Venice

Thank you in advance,

Cheryl

We are taking the Nieuw Amsterdam this April leaving from Barcelona and ending up in Venice. We are a family of 4 and the airfare was shocking going out of JFK to Barcelona and return Venice - JFK ($1250 a person / $5000 for the family) so I really looked into and we decided to do something a little different. We are flying nonstop into Barcelona but instead of flying out of Venice we are going to drive the last day up to the Milan airport (3 hour drive) and leave from there the next day (you can also take a train). I posted on the Cruise Air board and people who have done the drive said it's really nice drive. We plan on stopping at Verona on the way. By doing that we got round trip airfare for $640 so we saved $2400 (even with the car rental and extra hotel combined about $400) we save $2000. Now since we haven't done this yet I can't say how it will work out but I thought I would suggest it -- Venice seems to be a very expensive city to fly in and out of.

while I agree that Rome is not to be missed, and Venice is also wonderful those are places that can be reached by land...such as some have suggested. But if I went on another cruise, I would want to go back to Santorini as Oia is soooo unique and Corfu was wonderful as well. Rome can be done as post cruise or pre cruise as can Barcelona..not that all of these cities are worth seeing....JMHO

Archived