Has anyone heard of a "travel photo" or "travel docs" issued by DMV?

hislove330

Backstory: Cruise was purchased, non-refundable, then in late Oct my car window was smashed in while I walked only 100ft away and my purse, tucked behind my seat, was stolen. In it was my DL and Passport (we had just driven back from Mexico and I hadn't put it away yet).

On Nov 4th, thinking I had enough time to get a new DL issued and passport issued for my cruise, I ordered my CA DL. They don't issue immediate IDs like some states, and with the new security features, they say to "give 6wks to recieve" by mail. I called the DMV on the 17th of Jan and they said my DL was issued but didn't pass security inspection so a week before they destroyed it and had a new one requested!!!! Oh, crap. There went my chance of getting a passport re-issued since I need my DL. They said I need to give another 6wks from the date it was re-issued, which would have put me at getting my DL on the week of my cruise (hopefully sooner, but that's what I thought the FIRST time).

The DMV rep in the resolution dept said he would try to expidite my DL but if that didn't happen, he would issue a "travel document" or "travel photo" in lieu of a DL/ID that is made specifically for travel? The resolution dept in Sacramento SWEAR it will be fine for my closed-loop cruise. They say it's a stamped certified copy of your license, application or something. Can't find anything online & Custom's email reply to me is that it's at the discression of the Customs Officer at port.

Has anyone else been through this? I have an old expired DL with my current temporary paper and the right birth cert and in a couple days I'll have the "travel document" or whatever.

As far as I understand it is not an ID card like we traditionally think of. It's an 8x10 paper certified and stamped by the DMV.... but I'm not sure what it's a copy of. I think it will be in color with a picture.

ETA: Photo ID's in lieu of Driver's Licenses are also 6wks out. The reason they are sending the "travel doc".

Edited by hislove330

I have looked ALL OVER the net and these boards. Nothing. I have never heard of such a thing so I emailed customs and they didn't give me a direct answer. I would have figured with the delay in getting DL's in CA, someone will have heard of this "travel document".

What is "customs"? Immigration is who would deal with these issues.

I thought it was one in the same. Princess said they weren't sure and that I had to call or email customs because that was who checks ID at the port in Los Angeles. I could be wrong.

there is something called an enhanced ID that a couple of states issue that is good for border crossing....and I assume its ok on rt cruises from a US homeport...

Enhanced Driver's License – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

EDL Map

The following states are issuing this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington.

For information on costs, validity and issuing agencies, visit the appropriate state government website.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html

Edited by smeyer418

I would play it safe and get a certified copy of your birth certificate. It can be ordered on line and we got my daughters in three days with expedited service (costs a little extra).

I have the certified birth cert. I used that for my last cruise. I'm only worried about the state issued ID or DL since I no longer have my passport thanks to the theives. All I have is an expired DL with temporary recipt and in a couple days I'll have the so-called "travel document" from the DMV.

For information on costs, validity and issuing agencies, visit the appropriate state government website.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html

Thanks! I'll look into that. Anything can help at this point. I'm just crossing my fingers that I will get a call before my trip and they will overnight my DL.

I'd get another certified copy of your birth certificate and expedite a replacement for your passport as soon as you get your "travel docs" from the DMV. That way you have the 'travel docs' and a birth certificate if you don't get your passport, but you may be able to get the passport before you cruise.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

I guess what the DMV is sending IS a government issued photo identification. It's just not the traditional DL or ID cards.

there is something called an enhanced ID that a couple of states issue that is good for border crossing....and I assume its ok on rt cruises from a US homeport...

Enhanced Driver's License – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

EDL Map

The following states are issuing this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html[/quote

CA new DL has a bunch of security features-

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/newsrel10/2010_31.htm

Immigration and Customs are the same thing. The acronym is ICE. ICE = Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.

Yes, there is a US agency called Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, which was created in 2003 by the merging of the US Customs Service, and the Immigration and Naturalization Service. However, immigration enforcement, which is what the OP has a question about, is not the same as customs.

I'd get another certified copy of your birth certificate and expedite a replacement for your passport as soon as you get your "travel docs" from the DMV. That way you have the 'travel docs' and a birth certificate if you don't get your passport, but you may be able to get the passport before you cruise.

I have a couple certified copies of my BC just in case however,...

I can't get a "replacement" passport because I notified them it was stolen and the passport agency cancelled and flagged it, so I need to in person and get a new passport with new number, etc. If anyone uses my old passport, they will be detained.

With that said, I need a photo ID to get my passport so IF the passport agency accepts a "travel doc" from the DMV, I will to that and expidite my passport, but IF THEY DO NOT take this document the DMV is sending me, I will not be able to get my passport. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: the passport expidited delivery is estimated at 2-3wks out right now according to their website. That would cut it close and I may not have a passport anyway at that rate.

Edited by hislove330

I have a couple certified copies of my BC just in case however,...

I can't get a "replacement" passport because I notified them it was stolen and the passport agency cancelled and flagged it, so I need to in person and get a new passport with new number, etc. If anyone uses my old passport, they will be detained.

With that said, I need a photo ID to get my passport so IF the passport agency accepts a "travel doc" from the DMV, I will to that and expidite my passport, but IF THEY DO NOT take this document the DMV is sending me, I will not be able to get my passport. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: the passport expidited delivery is estimated at 2-3wks out right now according to their website. That would cut it close and I may not have a passport anyway at that rate.

Depends on where you are in SoCA - if you're close to LA, there's a Passport Agency on Wilshire, you can make an appointment if you're traveling within 14 days and they issue the passport card on-site, not sure how long it would take to get the book - I know it's usually same day or next day at most of the agency locations (or it used to be). I believe the passport card is valid for closed-loop cruises as well.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_909.html

Depends on where you are in SoCA - if you're close to LA, there's a Passport Agency on Wilshire, you can make an appointment if you're traveling within 14 days and they issue the passport card on-site, not sure how long it would take to get the book - I know it's usually same day or next day at most of the agency locations (or it used to be). I believe the passport card is valid for closed-loop cruises as well.

There is. My son's passport wouldn't scan when he was going to Aruba and they will no longer type in the numbers manually - so you are screwed if your passport gets demagnatized. We went to the same day place and got a replacement and he was able to fly out that night. They were great - but be prepared to pay over $600 for the service. It saved his trip to Aruba but cost us plenty! Not sure how much a passport card would be, passport was required for his flight.

Edited by blissful_seas

Immigration and Customs are the same thing. The acronym is ICE. ICE = Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.

ICE is the investgative arm of the Department of Homeland Security. They are not the agents who screen you at the airport of cruise port. CBP (Customs and Border Protection) is the DHS arm that screens passengers entering the US. You are correct that the same agency does both immigration and customs, but it's not ICE. Read this information from their Web sites:

http://www.ice.gov/about/overview/

Immigration and Customs Enforcement is the principal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the second largest investigative agency in the federal government. Created in 2003 through a merger of the investigative and interior enforcement elements of the U.S. Customs Service and the Immigration and Naturalization Service, ICE now has more than 20,000 employees in more than 400 offices

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/about/

CBP is one of the Department of Homeland Security’s largest and most complex components, with a priority mission of keeping terrorists and their weapons out of the U.S. It also has a responsibility for securing and facilitating trade and travel while enforcing hundreds of U.S. regulations, including immigration and drug laws.

Last year CBP safely welcomed more than 300 million people into the U.S., continuing America's tradition of being a welcoming country while also preventing dangerous individuals from entering.

There is. My son's passport wouldn't scan when he was going to Aruba and they will no longer type in the numbers manually - so you are screwed if your passport gets demagnatized. We went to the same day place and got a replacement and he was able to fly out that night. They were great - but be prepared to pay over $600 for the service. It saved his trip to Aruba but cost us plenty! Not sure how much a passport card would be, passport was required for his flight.

We travel internationally about three times a year. For various reasons, our passport may or may not scan. They always enter the numbers. . . . no problem. Something is definitely fishy with what your son went through. What exactly was the "same day place". Was it the American Embassy?

Has anyone else been through this? I have an old expired DL with my current temporary paper and the right birth cert and in a couple days I'll have the "travel document" or whatever.
I cannot speak about this travel use paper ID, but I know of several people who travelled on RT cruises with the old license and the renewal paper (which extends the validity date of the 'expired' license) along with their certified BC. No troubles.

Oh, wow... that's pretty cool. I'm about 2hrs from LA, but this is worth considering. Yes, we had the passport cards too and they work for closed-loop. I wonder if there is a charge for doing it on the spot. We leave on the 19th.