Lifeboat obstruction below Dolphin deck?

darksidejedeye

Our family will be cruising for the first time on the Golden to Alaska in July and are booked in D615 and D617. I noticed when looking up our cabins on the Princess deckplans online, there seems to be a portion of the lifeboats extending beyond the deck below us. For those who have sailed on the Dolphin deck, is this obstruction noticeable? As always, your comments are much appreciated.

WRT your inquiry...not at all. We did 30 days on Star (Golden's sister) in a Dolphin mini and no view impairment.

If you look really closely, you will see that the lifeboats and tenders are slung under Dolphin deck, obscure Emerald Deck OV staterooms, and hang above the Promenade Deck.

Enjoy your cruise and "Escape Completely" with Princess.

Ciao for now!!!

Ditto the above post. We've sailed in minisuites on the Dolphin deck on the Caribbean, the Ruby and the Emerald and loved all of them because you go out further then the other decks. Life boats are below and underneath you.

Edited by cwayne

Thanks all for your input. Mind at ease and besides, how often are we going to be looking straight down at the water. All the action should be well away from the ship. "War Eagle" to you too, cwayne!

WAR EAGLE! and be careful of that first cruise......it's the start of an addiction that makes you crave your next cruise!! We just got off the Emerald on January 27th and couldn't stand it until we booked our next one- btw- we've booked back on Dolphin deck. I've been following the live thread of those that stayed on board and are doing the b2b (back to back) --so when we got off after 10days, they turned around and went back out for 10 more. A b2b is my goal (that along with free laundry). Be sure and put up your $200 future cruise deposit while you are on board in July. You've got 4 years to use it.

Edited by cwayne

Here's a view of the side of the ship looking down from Baja deck. Dolphin deck is the lowest with Caribe above it. (Ignore the ashtrays; I'm going to have to photoshop them out.)

Smoking%20balconies.jpg

Love the picture Pam!! That really shows this and is also a good way of showing all the folks who ask questions about how the balconies hang over.

In any case, to see the lifeboats below you, you'd literally have to look over the railing back towards the ship. There's no obstruction straight down.

Wow, Pam....that pic really answers my question. Thanks so much!
Great. I took this photo from B626 so your balcony is probably just to the right of the uppermost balcony in the photo. The Golden cabin balconies are very similar to the Sapphire.

This may be TMI but Princess uses telescoping davits for launching the lifeboats. Most of the time the davits are retracted and the lifeboats are not visible from Dolphin deck. They only obstruct the view of the Emerald deck cabins! However, at tender ports the davits are extended to launch the lifeboats for tendering operation. Not a problem for me. Although it is somewhat noisy it is interesting to watch and doesn't last that long. We had a Dolphin deck mini on the Golden in Hawaii and this was a photo taken during tendering in Maui. (I don't like these thumbnails but haven't figured out how to post a larger photo.)

1922658080_ViewofLifeboatsfromDolphinDeck-LargerVersion.jpg.c7aa8ae6bca976a549a72ee1a4ad5876.jpg

This may be TMI but Princess uses telescoping davits for launching the lifeboats. Most of the time the davits are retracted and the lifeboats are not visible from Dolphin deck. They only obstruct the view of the Emerald deck cabins! However, at tender ports the davits are extended to launch the lifeboats for tendering operation. Not a problem for me. Although it is somewhat noisy it is interesting to watch and doesn't last that long. We had a Dolphin deck mini on the Golden in Hawaii and this was a photo taken during tendering in Maui. (I don't like these thumbnails but haven't figured out how to post a larger photo.)
You're right but that's never bothered me because when the ship is anchored, I'm not looking down anyway.

To post a photo, upload it to a site such as Picasa (which is what I use). Make sure it's "Public" and then click on the photo > copy > paste. I always resize my photos before uploading so they aren't humongeous when I paste them. Picasa also gives you the option of copying and pasting the url to the photo, in which case, you'd click on the icon above the comment box here (the one with the mountain) and paste the url in there. It automatically puts the [ IMG] url [ /IMG] on either end of the url. (I've added spaces after the first bracket; otherwise, this message will think it's posting a photo.) You can also type the [ IMG] commands around the url if the above doesn't work. Don't feel badly, it took me years to figure it out. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

For a larger picture in your post you have to have a download link to a picture that is on an internet site. This could be a photo sharing site like Webshot, Photobucket, etc. Basically you upload your picture to that site, copy a IMG code to that picture and paste it in your post. For any large shots you see you can determine it's location by right clicking on it and selecting properties. Here is a from the side view of the Grand Pr. lifeboats that I cropped from a larger picture. If you look at it's properties it will show it's location or URL address is

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd112/robtulipe/Ships/DSC06086a.jpg

Type DSC06086a.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We were in an obstructed OV on Emerald deck on the Golden in December, but depending on how we were looking out our window, we had a great view.

2480784160103777938S425x425Q85.jpg (our view arriving in Kauai)

2580896620103777938S425x425Q85.jpg (arriving off the coast of Maui)

2737492200103777938S425x425Q85.jpg (arriving in Honolulu)

2997447570103777938S425x425Q85.jpg (arriving in Hilo)

I used Webshots, which allows you to select from four sizes of photos to insert into forums.

You're right but that's never bothered me because when the ship is anchored, I'm not looking down anyway.

To post a photo, upload it to a site such as Picasa (which is what I use). Make sure it's "Public" and then click on the photo > copy > paste. I always resize my photos before uploading so they aren't humongeous when I paste them. Picasa also gives you the option of copying and pasting the url to the photo, in which case, you'd click on the icon above the comment box here (the one with the mountain) and paste the url in there. It automatically puts the [ IMG] url [ /IMG] on either end of the url. (I've added spaces after the first bracket; otherwise, this message will think it's posting a photo.) You can also type the [ IMG] commands around the url if the above doesn't work. Don't feel badly, it took me years to figure it out. :)

Thanks, I had the photo "Public" in Picassa but couldn't get it to insert into CC. All I had to do was use the standard "Cut & Paste" process :o

View%20of%20Lifeboats%20from%20Dolphin%20Deck.jpg

We were in an obstructed OV on Emerald deck on the Golden in December' date=' but depending on how we were looking out our window, we had a great view.

I used Webshots, which allows you to select from four sizes of photos to insert into forums.

Can you recall what cabin you were in? We are in E406 for our Golden Pr. cruise next week.

• 8 years later...

I'm going on Caribbean Princess, mini suite D617 and am curious about the balcony. Ive always cruised Royal so am unfamiliar with these overhangs...the agent told me some of the balcony is covered but some is exposed...find that really odd as i don't want to sun exposure?? Ideas or am i wrong? how much of the balcony is covered versus not covered??

is this just a problem with mini-suites? all of them including club class, for example, where i am wait listed? How about just plain balcony or premium balconies??

40 minutes ago, findjcr said:

I'm going on Caribbean Princess, mini suite D617 and am curious about the balcony. Ive always cruised Royal so am unfamiliar with these overhangs...the agent told me some of the balcony is covered but some is exposed...find that really odd as i don't want to sun exposure?? Ideas or am i wrong? how much of the balcony is covered versus not covered??

is this just a problem with mini-suites? all of them including club class, for example, where i am wait listed? How about just plain balcony or premium balconies??

D617 and as well as all other mini suites on deck 9 have a 9' x 6' balcony that is not covered. Regarding sun that is based on the the direction of the ship more than any cover.

There are 12 mini suites aft, 6 port & 6 starboard, on deck 8 that are fully covered. These are not Club Class.

thanks and i just switched to a vanilla balcony on aloha deck ( deck 12) based on photos etc i found....rather have smaller cabin and balcony covered. and, yes, now i have no hope of getting club benefits as you have to be in a mini suite to have a shot at them....im new to Princess and am told now i have no way of getting quick embark or debark as im used to on royal...oh well... but at least i was able to switch to balcony, wanted to pay them for larger cabin but cant afford the constant sun exposure...

anybody know of any other way to get better boarding and deboarding rights?

Well, if people start a new thread, they get told to search for old threads, so damned if do damned if don't. I like this old thread bc it brought the Dolphin balconies pics to the top, without making Pam and IEcruiser post them and we're booked on Dolphin now too!

1 hour ago, findjcr said:

ps also yes i could have gotten deck 8 back with covered balcony for mini suite BUT its over FUSION which has loud noise at night according to other posters.....

For us, noise was not a problem.  We had E730, last mini on port side.  Only one evening did we feel thumping bass, and it was done by 11pm.  EM