34 Days Aboard Marina

hondorner

I'm going to have a chance to start posting a little earlier than I expected, so here goes.

First, as anyone who has followed my threads knows, I am not a poetic writer. I'm an aging Geek. I tend to absorb facts and useless knowledge and have a dry, factual style of writing. I read all of SLDispatcher's posts and am in awe of his descriptive style. All I can say is that he did not overstate anything. Although I did not get a chance to meet him, I have received reports from some interesting folks that he and his family are warm, caring people who so thoroughly enjoyed their cruise that he waxed enthusiasm.

From here on I'll be composing offline and pasting here, but I'll read it first if anyone has specific questions. I'll do my best to get answers. I have some pictures to upload; I don't know yet how successful that will be.

I can report that the internet is more reliable so far, indicating that some of the changes they needed to make were made during the time in Miami and on the 3-day preview cruise, and were successful. It's still pretty slow on my little Netbook but faster on the ship's computers.

More later.

I too look forward to reading your reports; I simply cannot get enough of Marina news and photos.

BTW, I saw that one of today's "featured" cruise reviews is lyndenfa's on the Atlantic crossing, another very positive review. I also enjoyed the video clip of FDR's interview linked by Colonel Wes. This video affirms the view of so many of us that follow this board regularly that FDR is the real deal; I would love to meet him someday.

Small query: the review mentioned that there were no lighter blankets than the comforters available in the cabins so far. I always am too warm to use the comforters; any alternative available yet?

Enjoy your cruise!

Pam

Hi Don & Betsy, bet they have to take u off the Marina with a Crane at the end of your 34 days :). Glad u had the chance to meet Susan on your 3 day voyage...thanks for posting, more pretty please.

Hi Don:

The ship sounds too good to be true. We cannot wait for our turn to board in July.

Could you please check out if indeed there are no light blankets available. We too, don't like the duvets.

Is there a bedside radio? If so, does it have an iPod connection? Or is there another way to use the iPod on the room's sound system?

Thanks in anticipation. David W.

Small query: the review mentioned that there were no lighter blankets than the comforters available in the cabins so far. I always am too warm to use the comforters; any alternative available yet?

I have the same problem and we just ask for an extra sheet or two. That's always been sufficient for me.

Don, I look forward to your first-hand impressions of Marina. Comments so far have described a drop-dead gorgeous ship that is beating expectations. Well done Oceania!

I’d also appreciate a little more description of B4 staterooms on Deck 7. Specifically, are there privacy issues at the point where the larger balconies fore & aft adjoin the regular sized balconies? Any view obstructions from those extended balconies to their neighbors? I’m referring to starboard 7011/7009 and 7111/7109 or to port 7010/7008 and 7108/7106. Thanks for any info.

Would also appreciate any inside scoop you may have on Riviera. I read an interview with FDR where he mentioned that it would be even better than Marina. Now that's setting a new standard for upper premium!

Enjoy your time aboard. Cheers.

can you address for me what O provides for the CC members re M&G,

I am also interested

I know they do not usually do anything but if you have a large group (over 50) it would be nice even if they just had a private lunch or Hors Doeuvres in one of the lounges

Lyn

Hi Don,

Looking forward to your posts. I like your factual style - as in "Just the facts, ma'm".

Have a great cruise!

Hi Don & Betsy,

I, too, like your factual style. I would love to see some pics of the aft rooms with the deeper balconies since that is what we will have on our Marina cruise.

Thanks!

Judy:)

can you address for me what O provides for the CC members re M&G, group luncheon or any other help with activites...I'm handling that for the T/A on Marina in March...thanks LuAnn

That makes 3 of us that would like to know about this! So far, we have a very small Roll Call, but I am hoping that will change after final payment deadline.

Thanks again!

Judy

My fabulous TA just got off the Marina 3 day voyage and emailed me with his impressions. (He is, of course, nameless, but he owns one of the largest on line cruise agencies.) He was in a Penthouse Suite and raved about the butler service -- he had a specialty restaurant meal served to him and lattes brought to him every morning. Of course, he regretted only having a limited amount of time so it was impossible to explore the ship fully.

He's been everywhere and on every ship so if he is that impressed it means a lot. I am so glad I splurged on the PH for the November transatlantic.

I have the same problem and we just ask for an extra sheet or two. That's always been sufficient for me.

On my previous cruises, I have obtained a light blanket from the cabin attendant the first day, but if none are available on Marina, I will try this option. Thank you for the suggestion.

My daughter and I will be passengers aboard Marina in late June for an 11-day Northern Europe voyage. We would appreciate any information regarding all aspects of cruising with Oceania and abroad Marina; shore excursions, dress, additional costs, and other "just the facts." I, too, have been craving any posts regarding this beautiful ship and just saw the Entertainment Tonight/Mary Hartman piece about the ship's christening. Is it June yet?

My daughter and I will be passengers aboard Marina in late June for an 11-day Northern Europe voyage. We would appreciate any information regarding all aspects of cruising with Oceania and abroad Marina; shore excursions, dress, additional costs, and other "just the facts."

You may want to read through some of the reviews and other threads here

Then if you still have specific questions I am sure we can all chime in

Your request for info is so varied.

Most questions you can find the answers in the brochure or here in the forum

Do not forget to join the Roll call for your cruise

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I will be following this thread with great interest as we are considering one of her cruises.:D

kazu,

If you haven't yet read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1339111

I highly recommend that you do. It is an excellent "live" report by David from Marina's maiden voyage (including pictures - follow the link given by David).

It's like a good book - you can't put it down until you are finished :D

kazu,

I highly recommend that you do. It is an excellent "live" report by David from Marina's maiden voyage (including pictures - follow the link given by David).

What a great comparison! That is exactly what

it was like. A real page turner!!!:D

kazu,

Thanks again Paulchili, you are a fountain of knowledge. :)

Archived