Question about school vacations in your area?

youngestof9

Here in the Northeast (I'm in the NYC suburbs) we always get the entire week off in February that begins with President's Day. It's called mid-winter recess here.

I was wondering if those in other parts of the country get that week off as well?

I know cruise ships are really full at Spring Break time, which often depends on when Easter and/or Passover fall but is always March/April. But is this February break common elsewhere?

We booked Epic (again! yipppee!) for President's Week and was just thinking about what the adult:child ratio would be.

Thanks for answering!

Mary Beth

Since folks come from everywhere to cruise, plan on most of March and April as having lots of kids....

All schools (even within a state!) are on different schedules!

As far as the President's day, I'm betting there will be schools year using that "vacation" as a snow make-up time!

In May, you'll get families with college kids, as they usually get out in early May.

This year we have Friday, Monday and Tuesday off for Presidents' birthdays. However, because of the ice last week, we lost the Friday. Frankly, I think it was a little late to take it away...would have rather they took the Friday before Memorial Day back. People already had plans for 2 weeks out and it was a bit rude to pull back a day so close to the holiday.

We're heading to WDW so we're gone regardless. Was hoping the kids would not miss any school; now they will miss 1 day. Oh, well.

Here in Ontario, Can. many colleges and universities have Reading Week in Feb. and most elementary and high schools get a week off in March. The exact week varies by school board, but it is almost always the second or third week in March. Our summer break is from the end of June to Labour Day in September (first Monday in September), so having a week off over Easter is rare.

Six years ago we travelled during Presidents Week and there were quite a few kids on board. Not as bad as March Break, but more than other weeks.

In Massachusetts, schools are off the whole week of President's week and also a full week in April. The week in April always coincides with Patriot's Day which this year happens to be the same week as Good Friday.

Towns are deciding about February school vacation week now since we have had so many days off because of snow but also because of roof collapses. One elementary school actually had a partial collapse while school was in session which luckily no one go hurt in. A few towns then closed all their schools until roofs could be shoveled.

Here in the south it depends on the county. Sometimes we have it off. Sometimes it's only the holiday. The school schedule changes every year. It's never the same. When school starts and ends is never the same either. It is very frusterating!! We don't even have a schedule for next year yet.

Our schools here in my part of NJ usually have the Friday before Presidents day and President day itself off. This year, however, due to the snow we lost both. I agree with a previous poster, those who had plans for the long weekend are now in trouble so the short notice really hurts. Even though school will be in session I am betting a lot of kids will still be out. Although, here a lot of go north skiing over the long weekend (Then hope for the warm weather to arrive soon so we can get back to cruising :eek:).

We did cruises during President's Week for four years, 2007-2010. Unfortunately, since DH took a college teaching job we can no longer cruise that week and I'm back to summer-only cruises.:( Our experience sailing that week was that while there were a large number of kids (our kids did not lack for friends in the clubs), it wasn't nearly as large a number as on our summer cruises. This was especially the case when we sailed Conquest last year, since fewer folks from states that had the whole week off traveled to Texas for a cruise.

We have the whole week of President's Day off for "mid-winter break". Many districts out her in WA are off that week. Others just take President's Day plus another day or two.

We are cruising next week. Expecting a lot of kids, but hopefully not as many as we have run into during Spring break time.

As you mentioned, NYC schools have off the whole President's week. I went on the NCL Gem out of NY two years ago and we had 700+ children aboard that week.

We are going on HAL's Eurodam out of FLL for the same week this year. I know HAL has fewer children cruising overall but I just found out that we will have 2 infants, 12 children and 17 teenagers. I think it must also be a product of leaving from the Southeast, as opposed to the Northeast.

Four of the twelve children are offspring of CCers. That means that 33% of the total children aboard are from CC!

thanks everyone for responding! I think it's about what I expected - a varied response :)

We have had a lot of snow days this year as well (we have 3 built in) but they don't take it off the February break because there still may be more days to use since we've had some wicked snow in March - it comes off of Spring Break which by us is always by Passover and Easter. This year it's good because they are close together. However last year, we had 2 shorter vacations because Passover and Easter were not close together.

I'm sure there will be more kids - we actually had a lot more kids in January than I would have expected. I just didn't know if it was going to be a more elevated amount or if it would be the Spring Break/Summer numbers I hear.

In Nebr. the 'winter break' is usually just one or two days, around President's Day. The same goes for Easter. I'm not sure if we'll be losing any of them to make up snow days or not--we've had quite a few so far.

We don't tend to get the week long breaks you do in many areas, but we are out of school around May 20 instead. We do start again in mid August, though.

I wish we got less time in the winter! We always start the Wednesday after labor day and go until the last Friday in June. YUCK.
That's the down side of the February break - we go until the end of June as well. Two years ago, our oldest son graduated from high school on the last Friday of June and had to report to the Merchant Marine Academy less than two weeks later - no vacation for him!

Archived