I'll Post for Them re: Zuiderdam........

sail7seas

I received a call from our good friends this morning while they waited at FLL airport after disembarking Zuiderdam.

These are very sophisticated, middle-aged, attractive, well traveled professional people. They began sailing HAL because of our recommendations some years ago and sailed a Rotterdam New Year's Cruise with us as their first HAL cruise. They have since sailed with us on Maasdam and later on their own they sailed Noordam. They loved all their HAL cruises and urged us to book this Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise with them.

We have done the ten day FLL round trip Panama Canal transit cruise about 4-5 times and positively love it and would have joined them but that we are booked for a Noordam cruise soon.

They do not come to the message boards so I'll post their comments if anyone is interested what they had to say.

They said the crew was outstanding and they had great service throughout but particularly they mentioned their dining team (upper level Main Traditional Dining), the Lido crew got high praise as did the ice cream server. :)

They enjoyed the shows and said there was a Trinidad Steel Band aboard that was outstanding. For them to have raved about them so much with me while at the airport, I know they had to be outstanding. The lady in this couple cannot stand horridly loud music (same as me) so they must have played at a comfortable sound level so all could enjoy.

They loved the day of the transit and found the whole experience so fascinating. They said HAL did it great and I agree the times we did that cruise, it's terrific.

They thought the food was good to very good on the whole and I was surprised they enjoyed Caneletto far more than I would have expected of them..... ;) I know their personal style and tastes. But the DH in the couple really liked his dinners there.

Pinnacle breakfast for suites was great and they also said they enjoyed Indonesian Suite lunch.

Sorry for the 'second hand' comments but these are very dependable, reliable people and I value their comments so thought them worthy of passing along.

If you're booked for this cruise, look forward to it. Sounds like you'll have a great time. :)

We did this cruise on the Zuiderdam and I 100% agree with your friends.

Everything was wonderful and we really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended IMO and a big thanks for sharing the info. glad there is still consistency :D:D

Thanks for the second hand review Sail. That pretty well summarizes our own experience on the Zuiderdam in October. Great cruise.

p.s. Island Magic were very good and it was difficult to get into their shows. It is difficult to explain or imagine but they do a lot more than the traditional steel drum Caribbean music...they incorporate Broadway tunes and classical music pieces into their show.

We did this cruise over Thanksgiving. Glad your friends enjoyed it as much as we did. Island Magic (steel drum group) are nothing you can imagine if you haven't seen them. They were amazing. If you asked my DH what his favorite Suite perks were he would say (1) Pinnacle breakfast and (2) the Indonesian Suite lunch (ours was held in the Pinnacle). Thanks for passing on the comments. I know those who are preparing to do this trip will enjoy reading them.

We are booked on April 12 and I am so pleased to hear the positive feedback. Life on a cruise ship is always a give and take and it is very promising to hear that the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise was well enjoyed. We are so looking forward to our cruise now. I understand the good to very good on the Food. We live in the Toronto Area and we have all the national foods you can think of. But you need to address the quality of the food for what it is. Trying to serve close to 2000 people 3 to 4 meals a day is challenging to be sure. I wonder if they had to return anything because it was not acceptable. If we can find the food good to very good than I consider it to be a winner. Thank you for the encouraging comments. Life is good while you are cruising.

Did the Canal cruise in December and I agree with all the original poster's comments. Suite perks were great and well worth it on this itinerary-especially if you have an aft cabin with a wrap around balcony.

The only improvement I would make was with the Pub Crawl. Person in charge here should take lessons from the Westerdam manager-he really knew how to have fun, not just rush through 5 drinks in 1 hour!

:) We 'observed' the Pub Crawl twice on Eurodam and it was a hoot. We were in Crows Nest having a drink the night we sailed late from San Juan and we heard a group singing "Hi Ho, Hi Ho" coming closer and then arrive. There was a line up of drinks all prepared for them and it was a riot. And then they were off and headed to the next bar.

We sailed again on Eurodam and this time we were meeting a friend for drinks in Pinnacle Bar and then dinner in Pinnacle and again,,,,,,,,,, "Hi Ho, Hi Ho......" Here comes the Pub Crawl. They had a total blast. Our friend (an Officer on the ship) winked at us as the group got closer and said, Let's get going in for dinner...." :D

Thank you for the great feedback. We are considering this cruise but never cruised on HAL before. Could you tell me more about the Indonesian Suite lunch and the indonesian food on HAL? Is the Indonesian Suite lunch only for people that stays in suites? How often is the indonesian food available? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the great feedback. We are considering this cruise but never cruised on HAL before. Could you tell me more about the Indonesian Suite lunch and the indonesian food on HAL? Is the Indonesian Suite lunch only for people that stays in suites? How often is the indonesian food available? Thanks in advance.

The Indonesian Suite luncheon is a special luncheon that is held (most times) for those in Deluxe Verandah suites and the penthouse.

My DH likes hot food so our waiter brought him Samba (I probably spelled it wrong) every night.:):):)

:) We 'observed' the Pub Crawl twice on Eurodam and it was a hoot. We were in Crows Nest having a drink the night we sailed late from San Juan and we heard a group singing "Hi Ho, Hi Ho" coming closer and then arrive. There was a line up of drinks all prepared for them and it was a riot. And then they were off and headed to the next bar.

We sailed again on Eurodam and this time we were meeting a friend for drinks in Pinnacle Bar and then dinner in Pinnacle and again,,,,,,,,,, "Hi Ho, Hi Ho......" Here comes the Pub Crawl. They had a total blast. Our friend (an Officer on the ship) winked at us as the group got closer and said, Let's get going in for dinner...." :D

Sounds like that officer doesn't like people having fun in his bar.

The Indonesian Suite luncheon is a special luncheon that is held (most times) for those in Deluxe Verandah suites and the penthouse.

My DH likes hot food so our waiter brought him Samba (I probably spelled it wrong) every night.:):):)

We didn't have a suite luncheon last month on the Westerdam.

When I asked the concierge, she told me that suite luncheons will be hosted only on cruises of 10 days and longer. :(

I guess we'll have to book a 10-day trip in the fall, no?

Archived