Golden Princess Review 02-02-11 to 02-16-11

Woobstr112G

I posted this in the review section but would also like to share it here.

This was our fourth cruise in a row on princess and eleventh cruise overall. It was also our platinum level qualifying cruise. Since we live only about 70 or so miles from the port of San Pedro, we did not do a pre embarkation hotel stay. Just a short drive to my sister’s house who then gave us a ride to the port. Embarkation went very smoothly. We were there early so we were part of group one. We probably sat in the terminal for about 30 minutes before we were aboard the ship.

The Golden Princess is a great ship. Despite the fact she is ten years old she was very clean and definitely did not look her age. Since my last three cruises were on the larger Diamond, Emerald, and Ruby it did take a little time to get use to the layout of the Golden. One thing that I really liked about the golden was it had more of an old style dark wood cruise ship look. This was very noticeable on the fiesta deck near the WS suites and the crown grill and shore excursion desk area. The after the fact adding of the international cafe, vines, and the Piazza was definitely different than on the Emerald and Ruby There was no gelato offered in the IC and there was hardly any notable entertainment offered in the piazza. I confirmed what I had read on CC that sushi and tapas are now complementary with any wine purchase.

I visited the fitness center almost every day. I noticed the amount of equipment seemed inadequate for the number of passengers. There were only 12 treadmills with one being out of order for the first two days of the cruise. I also noted that several of the treadmills would not elevate past “0” incline. I also had a personal experience of the treadmill belt suddenly stopping when I was running at a very fast pace. When I brought this to the proper personnel, I was told there was defect with the motors and Precor was sending out new motors.

We had an AB mini suite (D327). Our cabin steward John (Philippines) was very good and always kept our cabin clean. Our cabin was close to the center elevator banks and the less walking for us was nice.

We had late seating traditional dining in the Canaletto dining room. Our waiter and assistant waiter were great. The food was always very good to excellent. An added bonus is we had some of the best tablemates ever. We did eat once in the Crown grill and noted the food was good but the entire experience did not wow us. We did not eat in Sabatinis. We also were lucky enough to be selected for the Chef’s table. The food was fantastic, but the staff did not seem as personable as on our previous experience.

The only real dining downer was the horizon court. The HC on the golden was definitely the worst buffet experience on any of our cruises. The food was truly terrible. The quality and variety were sorely lacking. Hot food was never more than luke warm at best. Lunch was probably the worst. I thought the plastic wrapped sandwiches were somewhat tacky. I also found some of the bread to be somewhat stale. I know that food ratings are subjective but these were my observations.

One thing that I really enjoyed was the fact that Princess did broadcast the Super Bowl in public areas. It was not broadcast in individual cabins as they did not have the prober licenses from the NFL. The Steeler rally party was in the MUTS area while the Packer rally party was in the Explorer lounge.

As far as Hawaii goes, we did princess sponsored shore excursions in three of the four ports visited. On Hilo we did the volcano national park excursion. It was very interesting seeing the lava tubes and steam vents. We also had a great bus driver who made our entire experience truly memorable. On Honolulu we did the Polynesian Cultural Center with Luau excursion. The cultural center was very interesting. The luau was good. The evening show was absolutely fantastic. One bit of advice about this excursion is it is a full day excursion with a lot of walking involved. This should be taken into consideration in booking this excursion. We skipped our excursion on Kauai to rest up a bit. On Maui we did a whale watching excursion which was very enjoyable. We saw tons of whales.

Weather overall was great the entire cruise. The seas, for the most part were calm for the entire cruise.

Internet service was predictable. Some days it was slower than others. The ability to connect in my cabin was not as good as being outside the cabin. I also had more difficulty connecting with my IPad vs my laptop.

We had two nice CC roll call meet and greets. It was nice to put faces to all of our cyber roll call friends.

Overall we had a great cruise on the Golden. In my humble opinion, Princess continues to offer a great vacation value along with what I think are the best itineraries around.....

Bob

Thanks for posting this review. I also enjoyed following your "live" posts from the ship. My wife and I were on the Jan. 5 sailing, and felt the same way you did about the Golden. It's a fabulous ship and cruise. The one thing I have to differ with you was the Horizon Court buffet. We thought it was very good, and ate there for dinner about 5 nights. As you said, food is subjective.

Enjoyed your "live from", Bob. We're set to sail on the Sapphire to Hawaii soon. Did you book the whale watching excursion through the ship or a private vendor? We're not sure which way to go - ship or private.

Welcome home!

We booked via Princess. The tour was very nice with the exception of a few pushy passengers who would literally push right in front of someone to get a picture. On shore, I did notice some private excursions that emphasized their smaller capacity vessals.....

Bob

I enjoyed your review and also following your Live from threads. We were on the cruise before yours and like you, really enjoyed the ship. Thank you for your comments on the Crown Grill. It is such a pretty area, and we thought about it alot. In the end we did not go. We have done the speciality resturants before and have never been wowed. Now I don't feel so bad! I would have liked to have tried Vines, but it was never the right time. Maybe next time!

Enjoyed your "live from", Bob. We're set to sail on the Sapphire to Hawaii soon. Did you book the whale watching excursion through the ship or a private vendor? We're not sure which way to go - ship or private.

Welcome home!

We booked via Princess. The tour was very nice with the exception of a few pushy passengers who would literally push right in front of someone to get a picture. On shore, I did notice some private excursions that emphasized their smaller capacity vessals.....

Bob

One thing you may want to consider is being a tender port there could be delays getting shoreside. Our Golden was delayed & others have been cancelled due to weather. So if going independently, you should check on cancellation rules.

Thank you for doing the live from and this review. You don't mention the Hawaiian themed program, mostly conducted by the husband and wife team of ELUA. This I believe is a major component that makes the Golden a better choice than some of the others ships on this same route. During my cruise, I felt I had experienced more Hawaii on the ship than in the islands. I would agree that the buffet is not 5 star, but the food tastes a whole lot better when you compare it with banquet food, another example of large mass feeding. Was there a suggestion(s) you would have for someone thinking of taking this cruise that you enjoyed or made the trip for you?

Thank you for doing the live from and this review. You don't mention the Hawaiian themed program, mostly conducted by the husband and wife team of ELUA. This I believe is a major component that makes the Golden a better choice than some of the others ships on this same route. During my cruise, I felt I had experienced more Hawaii on the ship than in the islands. I would agree that the buffet is not 5 star, but the food tastes a whole lot better when you compare it with banquet food, another example of large mass feeding. Was there a suggestion(s) you would have for someone thinking of taking this cruise that you enjoyed or made the trip for you?

Even though I didn't watch them perform, I was wrong in not mentioning EULA. I heard nothing but postive things about them from my fellow cruisers and others who have seen them on previous voyages. As far as suggestions, I would say enjoy the sea days, which is one of the main reasons I took the cruise, and take into account shore excursions that include a lot of walking. The later is if you have any mobility issues.

If anyone is interested, I have begun to upload my cruise pictures to my flickr account. I am starting by scanning the cruise log and the daily patters, This might take a bit with the uploading of the pictures coming directly after. The link to my flickr page is in my signature. Once on the page just press on the Golden Cruise link which should be on the right side of the page.....

Bob

Even though I didn't watch them perform, I was wrong in not mentioning EULA. I heard nothing but postive things about them from my fellow cruisers and others who have seen them on previous voyages. As far as suggestions, I would say enjoy the sea days, which is one of the main reasons I took the cruise, and take into account shore excursions that include a lot of walking. The later is if you have any mobility issues.

If anyone is interested, I have begun to upload my cruise pictures to my flickr account. I am starting by scanning the cruise log and the daily patters, This might take a bit with the uploading of the pictures coming directly after. The link to my flickr page is in my signature. Once on the page just press on the Golden Cruise link which should be on the right side of the page.....

Bob

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments. Your pictures will be fun to see as well.

As fellow passengers on the Golden Princess we found your comments to be well represented of the cruise with some exceptions. As to the lack of equipment in the gym we wonder if you have ever sailed on the Grand because the Golden is far far superior to the Grand in the amount and quality of equipment offered. We also note the better use of space available. Relevant I guess but worthy of a comment.

The Internet service (and we use the word service holding tongue in cheek) was pitiful. Sixteen minutes to find, open and read an e-mail? Slow is the understatement of the year. To add insult to injury, it took seven minutes for the system to accept the 1.1.1.1 sign off code and disconnect us. There are obviously two systems now in use; the FREE time accorded Elite members, which now does not involve your on-board account, and those purchasing time. On our next cruise the credit value of the 250 minutes, i.e., $100. will be used to purchase a 130 minutes package in lieu of the allotted 250 for we feel that will afford us superior service.

Your comments regarding the Horizon Court were shared by many a passenger and so we took all our meals in the dinning room. We were most pleased especially by the service which was a head above that previously experienced aboard other ships. They obviously have a wonderful wait-team aboard the Golden.

As fellow passengers on the Golden Princess we found your comments to be well represented of the cruise with some exceptions. As to the lack of equipment in the gym we wonder if you have ever sailed on the Grand because the Golden is far far superior to the Grand in the amount and quality of equipment offered. We also note the better use of space available. Relevant I guess but worthy of a comment.

The Internet service (and we use the word service holding tongue in cheek) was pitiful. Sixteen minutes to find, open and read an e-mail? Slow is the understatement of the year. To add insult to injury, it took seven minutes for the system to accept the 1.1.1.1 sign off code and disconnect us. There are obviously two systems now in use; the FREE time accorded Elite members, which now does not involve your on-board account, and those purchasing time. On our next cruise the credit value of the 250 minutes, i.e., $100. will be used to purchase a 130 minutes package in lieu of the allotted 250 for we feel that will afford us superior service.

Your comments regarding the Horizon Court were shared by many a passenger and so we took all our meals in the dinning room. We were most pleased especially by the service which was a head above that previously experienced aboard other ships. They obviously have a wonderful wait-team aboard the Golden.

Haven't sailed on the Grand, so I will defer to your statements regarding the gym. I was basing my statements on having sailed on the larger Emerald, Diamond, and Ruby.....:):):)

Bob

When you were on the Golden to Hawaii did they have the Seafood Buffet on the first night? Thanks :confused:

Sorry, we can't answer your question either. With the jet lag we can hardly remember the evening at all...

When you were on the Golden you posted that Vitor Souza was the Maitre D'. Looking at your photos from the Chef's Table it looks like the Maitre D' was Pierre Luigi Moretti. Was there a Maitre D' switch mid cruise?

When you were on the Golden you posted that Vitor Souza was the Maitre D'. Looking at your photos from the Chef's Table it looks like the Maitre D' was Pierre Luigi Moretti. Was there a Maitre D' switch mid cruise?

I was going off information that was printed on the first patter. I was unaware of the change until the Chef's Table. I do not know when the change took place or if Luigi was the MD from the onset and the patters were already printed out.

Bob

I was going off information that was printed on the first patter. I was unaware of the change until the Chef's Table. I do not know when the change took place or if Luigi was the MD from the onset and the patters were already printed out.

Bob

As we understood it, the change took place at Honolulu.

Archived