coping with humidity

piscean

Hi

I am quite happy with dry heat (in fact I love the sun) but I am cruising around India/Sri Lanka in April when the humidity will be very high. In fact last year in the heatwave in St Petersburg I was falling asleep on a canal cruise!

Anyone any tips for coping with the 'washed out' feeling? I do wear loose cotton and a cotton hat.

Thanks

Carol

I live in a hot climate but mostly a dry one. Can't do humidity. For a woman a skirt and top or a dress with a full skirt is cooler than slacks. Cotton or any similar fabric. No knit wear.

A hat ....yes.

I also carry a special umbrella that helps to keep the sun off.

I live in a hot climate but mostly a dry one. Can't do humidity. For a woman a skirt and top or a dress with a full skirt is cooler than slacks. Cotton or any similar fabric. No knit wear.

A hat ....yes.

I also carry a special umbrella that helps to keep the sun off.

I'll disagree with you that Dallas is "dry"! I'll challenge you to be able to tell the difference between the 93 degrees and 80 percent humidity in Houston in July and the 97 degrees and 65 percent humidity in Dallas on the same day!:eek::D:p;)

We lived in the tropics with high heat and humidity for 4 years. One thing that helps is not to rely on the air con too much. Your body will adjust to the heat and humidity (ok- within reason- I don't think anyone adjusts to 114 degrees) if you let it. But you are going to feel more lethargic- that is why life on the islands is slower and people spend more time sitting under palm trees- that sort of weather is not good for busy busy schedules and running around. So just go with it.

Make use of the ship's AC....take breaks from outside!

Here, in Va. (near DC) it's like the armpit of the country in the summer....so humid, it's hard to breathe!!!

Just don't overdo the physical stuff...get acclimated, and USE THE AIR-CONDITIONING to re-boot your system!!!!!

One thing that helps is not to rely on the air con too much. Your body will adjust to the heat and humidity (ok- within reason- I don't think anyone adjusts to 114 degrees) if you let it.

Make use of the ship's AC....take breaks from outside!...........Just don't overdo the physical stuff...get acclimated, and USE THE AIR-CONDITIONING to re-boot your system!!!!!

Conflicting advice. We live on the humid Gulf Coast so deal with tons of humidity. I have to say that, now, I do use the air conditioning as cb at sea said. But, growing up (many, many years ago), we didn't have air conditioning like we do now. We dealt with the humidity much better then than we do now, so 5 waldos' approach may work better. Whichever method you choose, the advice to not overdo the physical stuff, take breaks, and drink lots of water is the best anyone can give you.

Archived