Anaphylactic Reaction on board and Med Staff Experience

Deb in Markham

I've read all the posts on food allergy and, as the mom of a child with nut allergies, understand all the precautions I need to take. Has anyone had an experience with an anaphylactic reaction while on board? How was it handled? Was the medical staff up to snuff? What if the person had to be evacuated?

We've been lucky (with due diligence) and my son has never had a reaction. And we've cruised before with no problem. I guess the thing that worries me about our upcoming cruise is the number of sea days. We're going to Hawaii. What happens if he has a reaction on sea day # 2 in the middle of the Pacific?

Thanks for your constructive input--it's appreciated.

I've read all the posts on food allergy and, as the mom of a child with nut allergies, understand all the precautions I need to take. Has anyone had an experience with an anaphylactic reaction while on board? How was it handled? Was the medical staff up to snuff? What if the person had to be evacuated?

We've been lucky (with due diligence) and my son has never had a reaction. And we've cruised before with no problem. I guess the thing that worries me about our upcoming cruise is the number of sea days. We're going to Hawaii. What happens if he has a reaction on sea day # 2 in the middle of the Pacific?

From what I've read, the medical staff is top notch on the cruise ships, and yes they do carry epinephrin (I checked on that for my first cruise)... and yes, most definitely they would arragne for emergency evacuation if neccessary - but I highly recommend you take a couple of epi-pens with you. I'm severly allergic to bees and wasps and ALWAYS have at least 2 with me (for a follow-up shot while waiting for medical assistance if required). I wouldn't dream of leaving home without them.

While our experience wasn't an allergy reaction, the doctors and nurses in the Medical Center were terrific and knew what they were doing. They made a correct diagnosis and the doctors at Broward County said that they did absolutely everything right. They couldn't have done a better job.

While our experience wasn't an allergy reaction, the doctors and nurses in the Medical Center were terrific and knew what they were doing. They made a correct diagnosis and the doctors at Broward County said that they did absolutely everything right. They couldn't have done a better job.

That's great to hear thanks! I'm glad your experience was positive.

From what I've read, the medical staff is top notch on the cruise ships, and yes they do carry epinephrin (I checked on that for my first cruise)... and yes, most definitely they would arragne for emergency evacuation if neccessary - but I highly recommend you take a couple of epi-pens with you. I'm severly allergic to bees and wasps and ALWAYS have at least 2 with me (for a follow-up shot while waiting for medical assistance if required). I wouldn't dream of leaving home without them.

Nor would I. I understand it is our responsibility to protect ourselves to the best of our abilities. My son carries two with him and I keep an extra one or two in my purse with me at all times. When we travel, we pack an extra couple as well as antihistamines.

Nor would I. I understand it is our responsibility to protect ourselves to the best of our abilities. My son carries two with him and I keep an extra one or two in my purse with me at all times. When we travel, we pack an extra couple as well as antihistamines.

Glad to hear it - just be sure to inform ALL staff who are involved in your meals (waiters, Matre-di, serving staff in buffets, etc.) of your sons allergy and make sure they fully understand his allergy. The possible language barriers or other misunderstandings could potentially result in a very scary situation - it's imperative that they understand it's not an aversion or a dis-like of nuts, but a life-threatening condition that must be closely monitored.

Have a fantastic vacation!

Our exp with the medical staff was very positive. But there really isn't an emergency evacuation option on any long-range cruise such as to Hawaii or a TransAtlantic crossing. Without a port to pull into the only other option is a Helo and that isn't a viable option when you are out that far.

Lots of people cruise who have conditions that might req medical assist and accept what most see a very low risk since the ship has facilities. This is said by someone who is faced with a similar situation.

Den

I think the really nervous time would be when you are out of helicopter range. At some point off the coast of California until you are within the range of Hawaii there is no option for an evacuation. I have been on ships when they have turned around to get within the flying range of a helicopter for an evacuation.

The possible language barriers or other misunderstandings could potentially result in a very scary situation - it's imperative that they understand it's not an aversion or a dis-like of nuts, but a life-threatening condition that must be closely monitored.

Have a fantastic vacation!

I'm allergic to nuts too. My husband always tells the waiters that if I end up in hospital he will find them afterwards :D

Do Princess menus state what foods have nuts in, or do the servers know enough about them? Is there someone at the buffets one can ask to check?

(Off topic- Pam I see you have an African safari arranged for Oct - you are going to love it - if you want any hints etc from a 'local' let me know ;) )

I know from talking to the RNs on Princess ships that they and the physician are required by Princess to have the same certifications in Advanced Cardiac Life Support as RNs and ER doctors in the USA.

I'm an RN (now a retired) who was required to achieve that same certification because of my job on a cardiac unit. I can tell you it's very comprehensive for dealing with all kinds of medical emergencies.

If something really serious occurs onboard, not only do the ships have well qualified medical staff, but they also have the same types of equipment as that used in Emergency Rooms and ICUs in US hospitals.

the medical team has ACLS cert, access to IV's and emergency medication, such as epinephrine, cortisone, and cardiac drugs....carry your own epi pen and be aware of the foods that your child has access to. Yu are the first line of defense.

The on-board medical centre has a Critical Care area with around 5 beds. There are two articles that I've dug up online about medical facilities and/or doctors on cruise ships. Just do a search for "cruise ship medical centre" and you should be able to find it.

During the Ultimate Ship Tour, the doctor on my cruise stated that a person with a ruptured appendix can actually stay on board for up to four days based on newer research. If they can take care of that and heart attacks, I think you're in mighty capable hands.

Do Princess menus state what foods have nuts in, or do the servers know enough about them? Is there someone at the buffets one can ask to check?

The menus do not indicate which foods might have nuts in them (other than thsoe items where nuts are a featured ingredient).

Although the servers should know about your allergies, the person you must speak with is the headwaiter or Matre d'. They have the knowledge of what the food contains and the authority to have meals prepared according to your needs.

I've read articles saying that Princess & other cruiselines are able to connect directly to some of the best hospitals in the world for additional info by sending patient's vitals to landbased hospitals.

They actually do telemedicine where they have the ability to not only send vitals and test results, but also send x-rays for second opinions. (There are some pluses to computers.)

I've apparently wasted too much time at work looking at these articles since coming back from my cruise. *laugh*

I spoke to a woman on our Golden Princess cruise who was carrying a young child. I asked how old the child was and she quickly informed me that she was a one year old. Apparently because of the number of sea days, that is the minimum requirement. But ... that child didn't look anywhere near 1 year old. I wondered if there was a way to get around it.

The on-board medical centre has a Critical Care area with around 5 beds. There are two articles that I've dug up online about medical facilities and/or doctors on cruise ships. Just do a search for "cruise ship medical centre" and you should be able to find it.

During the Ultimate Ship Tour, the doctor on my cruise stated that a person with a ruptured appendix can actually stay on board for up to four days based on newer research. If they can take care of that and heart attacks, I think you're in mighty capable hands.

I've read articles saying that Princess & other cruiselines are able to connect directly to some of the best hospitals in the world for additional info by sending patient's vitals to landbased hospitals.

I didn't realize they were so well equipped and connected. I fell MUCH better now!

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful responses--I appreciate it.

They actually do telemedicine where they have the ability to not only send vitals and test results, but also send x-rays for second opinions. (There are some pluses to computers.)

I've apparently wasted too much time at work looking at these articles since coming back from my cruise. *laugh*

That's what I thought about their ability to consult with great landbased hospitals.

You now share a very common disease with many others on these boards...wemisscruisingitis! :p

You now share a very common disease with many others on these boards...wemisscruisingitis! :p

You mean that this isn't a recurrence of the procrastination I experienced in college when I spent over 8 hours a day on the 'net? This is a new disease? :-P

Back on topic:

http://www.global-writes.com/chronological/index.html?-Token.article=176

- This one is about the cutie that treated me and Princess Cruises.

http://www.cruiselines.us/mot/doctor.html

- This one is a bit outdated, but it is about Princess Cruises.

The thing that would worry me regardless of how good the medical facilities are is that when you are in the middle of the ocean, there is no way that they can do an emergency medical evacuation.

Have you had a long conversation with your doctor and with the cruise company on this problem. I would.

DON

The formulary and resources on a cruise ship are limited, even more so when it comes to children.

If I had serious concerns I would not do a translatlantic or Pacific cruise.

The cruiselines feel the same way. A couple we were traveling with had to cut their trip short (well they were to be on for 30 days in Europe with a transatlantic) as the cruiseline advised them against it as the gentleman fell ill and the staff felt it best for him to return home for treatment.

Archived